Omelette Game - WTF?

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Omelette Game - WTF?

Post by Ross Allatt »

As a returning stranger to these parts, can I make a request for an explanation for some of the variants of the games? I've just done the omelette challenge today and I'm completely frustrated and annoyed by it. I looked at the max games and thought that when there was a short selection of letters that I was to try and make up a long word that had those letters (and others) in it. But that can't be the case. To look at Ben Wilson's max game; in round one UHL becomes HULL, and yet later on XUJAI becomes JUXTAPOSING. Not to reveal today's challenge but it seemed utterly random.

In addition, I got all the numbers games in the challenge but could only press the "give up" button and not submit the answer.

I really, really, hate being made to look stupid in these challenges as I have today (24th out of 24 completed so far) when I'm not as stupid as THAT.

There's nothing that I can see that explains what the "rules" are for these variations. Can I respectfully ask that one might be added so that those of us occasional visitors can at least lose on what seems like a level playing field.
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Re: Omelette Game - WTF?

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Variant rules are available in the help section, see here for omelette for example
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Furthermore within the game while you are playing it there is a clickable Rules tab towards the right of your window with the same info about the variant that your current game is in.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I can understand taking it on without reading about the variant beforehand and just throwing yourself in at the deep end, I can understand that (although others will say that is silly enough), but then if it is making you that mad, how on earth are you just blazing through it without stopping rather than saying enough is enough after a few rounds, relenting, and looking up the rules before continuing? Seems really odd.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison wrote:I can understand taking it on without reading about the variant beforehand and just throwing yourself in at the deep end, I can understand that (although others will say that is silly enough), but then if it is making you that mad, how on earth are you just blazing through it without stopping rather than saying enough is enough after a few rounds, relenting, and looking up the rules before continuing? Seems really odd.
This. There is a rules tab, as explained already. There was one variant where the rules tab was for another variant - not sure if that's been fixed now though. A more regular player on apterous may be able to confirm/know what I'm talking about.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

Thanks for the replies. Had I known that there were the options to check on the rules mid-game then clearly I'd have done so. Thanks for letting me know what to do next time.
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Kirk Bevins wrote:[There was one variant where the rules tab was for another variant - not sure if that's been fixed now though. A more regular player on apterous may be able to confirm/know what I'm talking about.
Unlimited Junior shows Aegilops rules.
cheers maus
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

LOL
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

When I saw the thread title I thought the OP was going to ask why a variant called omelette has a fried egg as its icon.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Keith Bennett wrote:When I saw the thread title I thought the OP was going to ask why a variant called omelette has a fried egg as its icon.
For the same reason that it's called omelette when obviously a pancake is the relevant metaphor (you have to use everything up).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ross Allatt wrote:I really, really, hate being made to look stupid