Apterous World Athletics Championships 2011

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Apterous World Athletics Championships 2011

Post by Marcus Hares »

Hello there,

As you may already know I am hoping to be running an Apterous Olympics series of tournaments to commemorate the London Olympics next year which will run between December 2011 and July 2012 – this series comprises of 155 tournaments covering every format on Apterous, excluding the foreign conundrum attacks (see forum for further details).

As a warm-up to that event I will be running 11 tournaments over the space of 9 days to coincide with this year’s World Athletics Championships. These will take place across August bank holiday week (Saturday 27th August – Sunday 4th September).

Click here for the website which will accompany the series

Each tournament will be loosely (very loosely in most cases) based on an event taking place on the same day at the actual World Athletics Championships as follows:

Saturday 27th August
4pm – Decathlon - this 10-discipline event will require your concentration and endurance as you compete simultaneously but separately from one another. You’ll also need your wits about you as all 10 events will be different formats and played back-to-back. The virtual gold medallist will be the player whose cumulative total from his/her 10 games is the highest, the silver to the 2nd highest total, and the bronze to the 3rd highest total. You will be playing against a robot so may I suggest Apterous Prune?

The decathlon events (in this order) are as follows:
Standard 9, Goatdown 9, Junior 9, Octorock 9, Hyper 9, Unlimited 9, Touchdown 9, Lockdown 9, Omelette 9 and Aegilops 9 (previously these events were due to have been speed & bullet formats but lag may be a potential problem so I have changed the events) – this tournament could take up to 2 hours to complete so please bear this in mind before signing up! Also bear in mind that all games will have varying maximum points so if this is a worry for you please don't enter the competition - it could of course throw up a winner from an unlikely source!

Sunday 28th August
8pm – 100 metres – from now on (until the final tournament) all events will be played directly against each other in a double-elimination knockout competition (double-elimination means you are not out of the tournament until you lose twice). This tournament will be played to Bullet 15 rules.

Monday 29th August
8pm – 110m hurdles – this will be played to Aegilops 15 rules as very often it will throw up several obstacles along the way to knock you off course!

Tuesday 30th August
8pm – 800 metres – this middle distance event is so middle of the road it can only be played to Standard 15 rules.

Wednesday 31st August
8pm – 20km walk – one of the longer events of the championships, what else but a Hyper 15 to sort the men/women out from the boys/girls.

Thursday 1st September
8pm – High Jump – what goes up must come down and in every high jump each competitor touches down after their attempt to scale the heights, Touchdown 15 anyone? (blame/thank Adam Gillard for that one!)

Friday 2nd September
8pm – Long Jump – can only be the format which uses the longest words in the dictionary, Spoilage 15 rules apply here.

Saturday 3rd September
4pm– 200 metres – this speedy event will use Speed 15 rules.

Sunday 4th September
11.30am– Marathon – this almost always takes place in the morning (plus there are 2 other events today so I need to find room for those!) and players will take on the mentally exhausting Hyperlock 15 format.

4.30pm Triple Jump – with a hop, STEP and a jump – can you see where I’m going with this one? Stepdown 15 rules will be followed here.

8pm 4 x 100m relay – most athletics championships end with a relay and our own Apterous World Athletics Championships are no different – you’ll play 4 consecutive Standard 15’s back-to-back against a robot of your choice (I suggest Prune again) and as with the decathlon at the start of the championships, the winner will be the player whose 4 game cumulative total is the highest.

You don’t have to sign up to the series as a whole, just show up within 30 minutes before each tournament to register your interest – I will be in the room to take entries and oversee each event. You will not be expected to play in every event, just come along whenever it suits you.

Each tournament will be played in real time and you will all be playing simultaneously meaning that most tournaments, depending on demand, should in theory be over within an hour or so. The player who loses in the lower bracket from each of the 9 knockout tournaments will be awarded the bronze medal.

Each player will be given 5 minutes grace to start their games – this allows for any disconnections/comfort breaks etc... we won’t have a situation where you are kept waiting for your opponent for longer than 5 minutes – if they aren’t responding, you will be advanced to the next round.

Pairings will be generated completely at random and there’ll be a web page so you can view who your potential opposition might be later on in the tournament. I will also announce the pairings in chat.

There’ll also be a virtual medal table to accompany the series which will be updated after each event.

So if this sounds like it might be up your street then just turn up when it suits you and let the games begin!!

Thanks for listening,
Marcus
Last edited by Marcus Hares on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Apterous World Athletics Championships 2011

Post by James Robinson »

Very well thought out, Marcus.

As I mentioned before, I'll be on holiday for most of that time, so will have to make do with the last events.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

You start the first event halfway through the Challenge Cup final (assuming Wembley's not burnt down by then), so can I turn up late for that?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Might take part in this.
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Ian Volante wrote:You start the first event halfway through the Challenge Cup final (assuming Wembley's not burnt down by then), so can I turn up late for that?
It will be burnt down by then (probably), but I will be keeping to a strict schedule for the start times for these events - sorry Ian! I have to be in the room to oversee each tournament from beginning to end to ensure it progresses properly and may not be able to stay longer than the time I have already allowed (for myself). Hopefully there'll be other events which suit your schedule better.

Don't forget, you don't have to play in all the events, just when the time suits you.
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

Usain Bolt signing up ;)
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Just a quick reminder that the Apterous World Championships 2011 starts this coming Saturday, 27th August.

I have created a website to accompany the series which will be updated with the latest results/medallists after each day.

Marcus
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Is there any chance of posting results so we can see who won what please?
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Ben Wilson wrote:Is there any chance of posting results so we can see who won what please?
Hi Ben - yes the website that accompanies the series is in the main message at the top.
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

I would like to thank everyone who participated in this series, it mainly went off without a hitch.

41 players participated along the way and exactly 400 matches were played which is pretty impressive in such a short space of time.

It was a very useful test event and has given me much food for thought re next year's Olympics series.

Thanks all again,
Marcus
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

MARCUS HARES = U R CHAS REAMS :o
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:MARCUS HARES = U R CHAS REAMS :o