Welcome everyone!

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Welcome everyone!

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dear Everyone,

Welcome to the apterous forum. For those that don't know, apterous is a new website where you can play each other online. For legal reasons, I can't say what game you play, but it might bear some resemblance to a popular television game show. Over a thousand games have been played in the six-week testing period and feedback has been overwhelming positive (hopefully some of those who were impressed will post something encouraging below!) so I think you'll like it. Building this website has completely consumed my life for three months. I hope you'll agree it was worth it.

To play, head over to apterous.org and take two minutes to sign up. Then get playing!

You will need to install Java in order to play. You probably already have it; if not, installation is simple, just head over to java.com and follow the instructions. Once you have Java installed, the game should Just Work.

If you're having problems or have questions, please consult the (brief) FAQ and, if that doesn't answer your question, email me. If you'd like to report bugs or give other feedback, please see the relevant topics in this forum.

Other than, please enjoy it! I'm looking forward to hearing your comments, questions, and possibly even complaints. Go go go!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: Welcome everyone!

Post by Jason Larsen »

I signed up on apterous.org!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:(hopefully some of those who were impressed will post something encouraging below!)
I certainly will. It is amazing. Seriously amazing. I knew Charlie was a very clever man, so expected it to be good, but it's so far beyond good that it's astonishing. No, that's not quite it. It's EVEN BETTER than that. Many, many thanks to Charlie (and Jono) for putting it all together. You guys, like, totally rock.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kate is completely right, Jim!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I have only played one game, but what I have played so far, I really like.

Like with some, I got a bit confused on the number rounds when it came to declaring and then solving the puzzle, but I think I know now how to do it and I now eagerly await the COGST games :D

I also like the way you have to enter the conundrum, by pressing the first letter of the answer and then entering the remaining letters before the time is up at the bottom.

I have had a look at previous games to see what the variations are that you can play and I think the best game I have seen so far is Game #916. I assume then that there's no limit to how many word, number and conundrums you can have in 1 game (or is that just a test game type thingy)?

Very nice work indeed Charlie and Jono :).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote: I assume then that there's no limit to how many word, number and conundrums you can have in 1 game (or is that just a test game type thingy?
Yep, you can set it up however you like (and Ben certainly has made the most of this ability.)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote: I assume then that there's no limit to how many word, number and conundrums you can have in 1 game (or is that just a test game type thingy?
Yep, you can set it up however you like (and Ben certainly has made the most of this ability.)
I think that is a brilliant idea, because you can replicate the conundrum challenges that were on the Corral site for example. The combinations are endless :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Thanks to everyone who made the opening weekend a big success, with nearly 200 games played in the last 48 hours! In particular, if you enjoyed the Daily Duel and would like to play it every day, would like to train against the bots, or are just generally kind-spirited, please see the Donation page for details.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're welcome, Charlie!

Unfortunately, I can't donate to the site, but whenever I can, I'll play!

Thank you for allowing us to play in a nice, easy way!