GotY 2010

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.

Which of these GotW winners should be Game of the Year for 2010?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 am

4 Jan
2%
8 Feb
2%
22 Feb
5%
1 Mar
2%
15 Mar
14%
22 Mar
5%
26 Apr
11%
21 Jun
7%
19 Jul
5%
2 Aug
No votes
16 Aug
7%
23 Aug
16%
13 Sep
9%
11 Oct
7%
25 Oct
No votes
8 Nov
No votes
6 Dec
5%
20 Dec
5%

Total votes: 44

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

GotY 2010

Post by Adam Gillard »

I've set up a Game of the Year (GotY) poll for 2010, because no-one else had the time or inclination to do so. I've narrowed it down to 18 candidates from my original shortlist of 25. I just couldn't bring myself to make any further cuts. Because I found it so difficult to pick potential winners from a whole load of awesome games, I thought it might be wise to give each person up to 3 votes so that they can recognise up to 3 games as worthy contenders. The poll will run for 30 days. The dates listed in the poll correspond to the dates under the 'Week' column on this page and may not match the date that the relevant game was played on. The full list of the 18 contenders is provided below, along with a link for each game.

Disclaimers:

i) I really did try to cut it down to less than 18.
ii) I really did try to include lots of different variants and formats, but inevitably many didn't make it through to the final 18. There was only one foreign language game that won GotW in 2010 and it didn't make the cut (sorry Matt).
iii) I really did try to spread the honours a bit, but some people are ridiculously awesome and inevitably have more than one candidate game among the 18.
iv) This took a long time for me to do; if you don't want to vote / you think there's too many games to wade through then fine, but please don't moan at me. If nothing else, I hope people enjoy looking back on some brilliant games.

Contenders:

1) 4 Jan: Innis Carson 163 - 133 Andrew Hulme
2) 8 Feb: Kirk Bevins 162 - 141 Chris Davies
3) 22 Feb: Chris Davies 138 - 109 Innis Carson
4) 1 Mar: Chris Davies 139 - 99 Dale Levell
5) 15 Mar: Innis Carson 134 - 170 Dale Levell
6) 22 Mar: Mr Dog 0 - 134 Innis Carson
7) 26 Apr: Apterous Waldorf 30 - 200 Craig Chittenden
8) 21 Jun: Dale Levell 254 - 0 Apterous Prune
9) 19 Jul: Poppy Smith 76 - 111 Elly Young
10) 2 Aug: Jack Hurst 129 - 111 Edward McCullagh
11) 16 Aug: Jack Hurst 121 - 123 Marcus Hares
12) 23 Aug: Innis Carson 233 - 0 Apterous Prune
13) 13 Sep: Oliver Garner 111 - 121 Mark Tournoff
14) 11 Oct: Conor Travers 175 - 42 Apterous Plum
15) 25 Oct: Chris Davies 149 - 96 Eoin Monaghan
16) 8 Nov: Apterous Prune 0 - 150 Ben Wilson
17) 6 Dec: Michael Wallace 190 - 200 Dinos Sfyris
18) 20 Dec: Scott Gillies 106 - 116 Edward McCullagh

Happy voting!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Re: GotY 2010

Post by Adam Gillard »

We've had 15 votes in so far (most probably from 5 different people) and there's an early front-runner with 3 of those votes, as well as 3 games with 2 votes. The poll runs until 17 June, so there's still plenty of time to vote for your favourite game(s).

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Now 29 votes are in and there's a new leader with 5 votes. 13 of the 18 games shortlisted have received at least one vote; there's still time to change the result if you haven't yet voted.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Less than a week left to vote now and it looks like GOTY is between 2 games; one with 6 votes and one with 7. There's also an outright third place at the moment with 4 votes, but 6 other games have 2 or more votes, so that could yet change as well.

This is the last time I'm going to bump this thread before announcing the results in a week's time.

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

The '2 Aug' one was on 8 August. Cool, though.
cheers maus
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Thomas Carey wrote:The '2 Aug' one was on 8 August. Cool, though.
It's week commencing 2nd August.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Matthew Tassier wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:The '2 Aug' one was on 8 August. Cool, though.
It's week commencing 2nd August.
Oops. :oops:
It seems strange how most of them were played on a Saturday.
cheers maus
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I voted for Jun 21 so that Dale must make an appearance to claim his prize.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

The poll has now closed. There were 44 votes in total (from a minimum of 15 different voters). Thanks to all those who voted. Here are the top 3 (drumroll please...):

1) GotY 2010 is Innis Carson 233 - 0 Apterous Prune
2) Runner-up is Innis Carson 134 - 170 Dale Levell
3) 3rd place is Apterous Waldorf 30 - 200 Craig Chittenden

Congratulations to the top 3 and all those who made it to the shortlist. 15 of the 18 games received at least one vote, so I suppose I didn't hand-pick the games too badly. Special congratulations to Innis Carson (and Apterous Prune) for scooping the top honour against some very worthy competition.

See you for GotY 2011!

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Well done to Innis (and Apterous Prune) for having the winning game. I was expecting the Dale Levell 170 score to do it. I also thought his 254-0 against Prune was as good as Innis's winning game and it was only one round off the metamax as opposed to Innis's two.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Well done to Innis (and Apterous Prune) for having the winning game. I was expecting the Dale Levell 170 score to do it. I also thought his 254-0 against Prune was as good as Innis's winning game and it was only one round off the metamax as opposed to Innis's two.
Worth noting that Innis' game was 10s per round as opposed to Dale's 30s.

Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Well done to Innis (and Apterous Prune) for having the winning game. I was expecting the Dale Levell 170 score to do it. I also thought his 254-0 against Prune was as good as Innis's winning game and it was only one round off the metamax as opposed to Innis's two.
Yes, that was definitely a factor in my vote.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
Yes, that was definitely a factor in my vote.
That might have been why I voted for it actually but then forgot later that it was 10 seconds.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

I voted for both Dale's and Innis's games so I don't know what you're talking about :P

My third vote did go for the 200-190 hypernums game but I am a numbers geek and that was before I realised a typical hypernums round is about as hard as a typical three large.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Hello forum people,

I'm planning to set up a poll for GotY* 2011 soon after the results of the final GotW* of 2011 are published (so some time in the first week of January 2012). At this point, I can't say exactly how many contenders there'll be but I guess it would be around 15-25. I plan to leave the poll open for a month, as last time. I won't look beyond the top 3 from GotW voting in making the nominations, but I will look beyond the GotW winners, unlike last time. There are a couple of things I'd like decided before setting up the new thread and poll in January though:

1) It has been suggested to me that each forum member should have up to 5 votes, rather than (up to) 3 as last time. I think 5 is a good number to be able to pick but I'll still try to restrict the nominations to 25 at most so that it isn't too taxing to work through. Please let me know if you oppose this change or if you think people should have 1 or 2 or 4 or 6 votes (etc.).

2) Would anyone else like to be involved in compiling the list of nominees, or does anyone have a strong objection to me choosing them by myself? Please PM me no later than Fri 23 Dec 2011 if you'd like to get involved and we can figure out some vaguely democratic arrangement.

I'll also see if Charlie will link the poll on the apterous homepage in January to boost voting figures. Please let me know if you have any other ideas or feedback by replying to this thread. Only PM me if it's about nominations or something else of a private nature.

*Key: GotW - Game of the Week (may also be abbreviated as GOTW); GotY - Game of the Year (may also be abbreviated as GOTY)

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Please can you use all 52 winners this time?
cheers maus
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Thomas Carey wrote:Please can you use all 52 winners this time?
I think that would be far too many for people to weigh up when voting. Add the odd second (possibly even third) place and we're probably looking at 55-60 nominees. If people agree with Thomas or have other ideas, then please make your voices heard. In my opinion, if you have 20 excellent games and up to 5 votes, it's already quite a lot to think about.

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

One thought would maybe be to split the year into quarters and then have the top 2 or 3 from each quarter in a final GOTY poll?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ben Wilson wrote:One thought would maybe be to split the year into quarters and then have the top 2 or 3 from each quarter in a final GOTY poll?
I'm not sure about this. It would still require voters to go through at least 52 games and there may well have been (for example) 2 genuine GotY candidates from Jan-Mar, 7 from Apr-Jun, 4 from Jul-Sep and 5 from Oct-Dec. Assuming there are about 15 nominations for each quarter and each has the same number of votes allowed, I could just take (say) the top 10 through from the preliminary voting across all 4 quarters, but then that would be the same as having one massive list of 60-odd in a preliminary vote and then taking (say) the top 10 through for a separate final vote.

Did you mean that I should set up 4 separate polls (maybe one per week starting now)? There would still be the problem that there might be a higher calibre of candidates in some quarters.

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Adam Gillard wrote:Did you mean that I should set up 4 separate polls (maybe one per week starting now)?
Yes.
Adam Gillard wrote:There would still be the problem that there might be a higher calibre of candidates in some quarters.
Oh boo-flappety-hoo. Quality will always rise to the top.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The fairest way is if everyone ranks every game played over the year and then we use some Gevin-devised system based on those results.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:Did you mean that I should set up 4 separate polls (maybe one per week starting now)?
Yes.
Thanks for the idea Ben. I've thought about it and I'd much rather have people vote in one poll than 5. I still think that it can be cut down to about 20 nominees and I'd be happy if other people want to suggest nominations (via PM) so that they can be collated and presented in a single GotY poll. If no-one does this by next Friday, then I'll just choose the nominees myself again. I'll also go with up to 5 votes per person unless people have other ideas.

Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

If you are using a similar system to last year then I think only GotW winners should be considered (why include a game that's already been outvoted??), preferably not too many games (20 max) and I prefer only 3 votes each as if you have any more then people will probably vote for some games because "I guess should include one of that type".

However Ben's idea is a much cleaner method in that it involves no arbitrary narrowing down. Alternatively you could have 12 little GotM polls leading to 12 games in the GotY poll. I don't think it matters at all that they won't be strictly the top 12 games of 2011.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Matthew Tassier wrote:If you are using a similar system to last year then I think only GotW winners should be considered (why include a game that's already been outvoted??)

I had this week in mind when I said more than just GotW winners could be considered.

, preferably not too many games (20 max) and I prefer only 3 votes each as if you have any more then people will probably vote for some games because "I guess should include one of that type".

Good point. Maybe if there end up being more nominees than last time I could compromise with up to 4 votes?

However Ben's idea is a much cleaner method in that it involves no arbitrary narrowing down. Alternatively you could have 12 little GotM polls leading to 12 games in the GotY poll. I don't think it matters at all that they won't be strictly the top 12 games of 2011.
I appreciate that this would be 'cleaner' in terms of compiling the nominees, but having to vote in 5 or even 13 different polls will surely put people off. I'd prefer it if there was just one poll and the keenos can PM me their 20 (or however many) nominations in advance of the poll, which would be made up of the most popular (20?) nominees.

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

This sounds cool. I'd prefer not to look through 52 games in order to vote but I'll do it if necessary.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:This sounds cool. I'd prefer not to look through 52 games in order to vote but I'll do it if necessary.
Well if people want to PM me nominations I can collate the top 20 or so for the final vote, unless the keenos want to do 4 quarterly votes like Ben suggested before a final poll which I'm hoping will have the most voters. In any case, would you set up a link to the (final) forum poll on the apterous homepage throughout the voting period (probably early January to early February)?

I prefer the nominations route because it means people only have to vote once and there'll only be 20 or so games to work through. The nominations would work thusly:

All nominations should be taken from this page. Nominations for second place finishers in GotW voting will only go through to the final poll in conjunction with nominations of the first place from the same week (and third places would have to be nominated along with both of the other games). Obviously only games from 2011 should be nominated. I'll scrap the deadline of Friday 23 Dec that I made earlier because it's pretty simple to just collate any nominees and put forward those with the most nominations. Nominations will be accepted until the end of 2011. Any nominations made between the start of 2012 and the publishing of the final poll will have to be from the final GotW of 2011. Each person may send me up to 25 nominations for GotY (excluding nominees from the last week(s) of GotW if they hadn't been published yet and you'd already sent me 25 and want to send a couple more).

If people begin to PM me nominations, then I'll assume that they accept the nominations route and we'll compile the final list of nominees that way. If people agree with Ben's idea or have ideas of their own, make yourself heard asap because otherwise I'll just take my nominations and any that I've been sent and that'll be that. Also let me know if there are any objections to having up to 4 votes each from a field of approximately 20 nominees. Last time there were 44 votes cast from a minimum of 15 voters (since there were up to 3 votes each). I'm hoping that there will be significantly more this time if it's advertised on apterous.

Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Matthew Tassier wrote:If you are using a similar system to last year then I think only GotW winners should be considered (why include a game that's already been outvoted??)

I had this week in mind when I said more than just GotW winners could be considered.
Innis's performance was superb and Ed's was even better. I think point still stands, runner up in GotW can't really be GotY.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

How do I be a keano
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jon O'Neill wrote:How do I be a keano
There's only one Keano. But you can be a keeno by participating in the nominations prior to the final vote. So, if anyone's keen enough, please send me your nominations (up to 25) for GotY by PM before this year's end. Refer to the guidelines above.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, I think it would be interesting to see the average scores given to GOTW winners at the time.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

If people want to send me nominations by PM (be it 1 or 25) then you can have your say on the final nominees.

Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Matthew Tassier wrote: I think point still stands, runner up in GotW can't really be GotY.
I don't agree with this, the decisions made in the GotW vote were made under different circumstances to now and aren't necessarily applicable any more. Quite often people are wowed by what seems like a great performance in a new variant/format and vote it GotW, but then it gets surpassed as more people start to play the format and the general standard rises. Looking back on them now, games that finished 2nd or 3rd might look much better than those that finished 1st. This isn't just a hypothetical concern either, when I made my list of 25 nominations, I found that less than half of them actually won GotW.

My point is, I don't think a game's GotW result should be given any consideration in GotY (not even the "2nd places games can only be nominated if the 1st is" restriction currently in place), and I hope people don't ignore games than finished 2nd/3rd when choosing nominations. I agree that it's pretty likely that the overall GotY winner will have won GotW, but in the interest of fairness, it can't be assumed.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Innis Carson wrote:
Matthew Tassier wrote: I think point still stands, runner up in GotW can't really be GotY.
I don't agree with this [...]
Please discuss. I'm undecided. Do you think the proviso I made (see below) is a fair compromise?

Proviso: Anyone can nominate a 2nd or 3rd place without nominating the 1st place, but for it to make the final list of nominees the 1st place (and 2nd place in the case of 3rd places) need also to have received enough nominations to make the final list.

Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Innis Carson wrote:
I don't agree with this, the decisions made in the GotW vote were made under different circumstances to now and aren't necessarily applicable any more. Quite often people are wowed by what seems like a great performance in a new variant/format and vote it GotW, but then it gets surpassed as more people start to play the format and the general standard rises. Looking back on them now, games that finished 2nd or 3rd might look much better than those that finished 1st. This isn't just a hypothetical concern either, when I made my list of 25 nominations, I found that less than half of them actually won GotW.

My point is, I don't think a game's GotW result should be given any consideration in GotY (not even the "2nd places games can only be nominated if the 1st is" restriction currently in place), and I hope people don't ignore games than finished 2nd/3rd when choosing nominations. I agree that it's pretty likely that the overall GotY winner will have won GotW, but in the interest of fairness, it can't be assumed.
I guess we could all come up with our own personal criteria for GotY. If you regard it as entirely separate to GotW then fair enough you should be able to pick any game you like from the year. I see it as an extension of GotW and, assuming I get round to doing it, I will be nominating games out of the ones that I feel deservedly won GotW and have not been surpassed since then. I shall also regard not being game of the week as a reason not to vote for a game in the final voting.

However I think being allowed to vote for whichever games you like is probably better than Adam's halfway house option. If you say GotY needn't have been GotW then why should you have to pick the GotW winner in order to pick the runner-up?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Matthew Tassier wrote:I guess we could all come up with our own personal [nomination] criteria for GotY [...] I think being allowed to vote for whichever games you like is probably better than Adam's halfway house option
This makes sense. If enough people nominate a 2nd- or 3rd-placed game, then that should be enough popular opinion to allow it to stand as a nominee for the GotY poll, regardless of whether the higher-placed candidate(s) make the list.

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'll save myself time going through all my games and just tell you that I'm nominating my 25 highest scores this year.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

If you haven't sent me nominations yet but would like to, then please do so by the end of 2011.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's probably too late for this year, but I think Game of the Year could be done on Apterous just like Game of the Week. At the end of the year, people nominate whichever games they want and can see what other games have been nominated, and the top n nominations go to a vote (1 to 5 scale as GOTW). Also, things of the year always seem to happen too early. Nominations shouldn't start until 1st January 2012!
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It's probably too late for this year, but I think Game of the Year could be done on Apterous just like Game of the Week. At the end of the year, people nominate whichever games they want and can see what other games have been nominated, and the top n nominations go to a vote (1 to 5 scale as GOTW).
This would be nice, but people seem to like the system as it is and I thought I'd only ask Charlie to advertise the forum poll on the homepage.
Also, things of the year always seem to happen too early. Nominations shouldn't start until 1st January 2012!
People will still be able to nominate games from the last week or two of 2011 in the first week of 2012.

This is all pretty irrelevant unless more people send nominations anyway. I haven't received many.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Gillard wrote:This would be nice, but people seem to like the system as it is
This is all pretty irrelevant unless more people send nominations anyway. I haven't received many.
But yeah, I might have a look at some games tomorrow and nominate some if I get time. I don't mean to be negative or anything. I think it's really good that you've done this, but I might put a ticket on Apterous to suggest GOTW-style system for 2012 onwards. I think you'd get more nominations.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: I think it's really good that you've done this, but I might put a ticket on Apterous to suggest GOTW-style system for 2012 onwards. I think you'd get more nominations.
It's very unlikely that I'd do it. GOTW is a monster pain in the arse to code and maintain, without running another parallel-but-slightly-different system. I like it when other people do stuff, I don't want to take it all over.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

If you've been thinking of sending nominations in (anywhere from 1 to 25), then please PM me before the end of the year.

Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Hi there. Only just seen this thread. How come we aren't waiting until the whole year's voting is finished (in a few days I guess, can't really work it out)
Not sure what the logic is in doing it earlier, sorry (although it actually might not change my list of 2011's best ~20 games at all).
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Andy Platt wrote:Hi there. Only just seen this thread. How come we aren't waiting until the whole year's voting is finished (in a few days I guess, can't really work it out)
Not sure what the logic is in doing it earlier, sorry (although it actually might not change my list of 2011's best ~20 games at all).
I was just about to post a clarification to this effect. I'm now in the process of compiling the nominations. If my brain serves me correctly, the results of the final GotW that spans 2010 will be published on Tuesday 10 January 2012. I will accept further nominations from the final two or three weeks of GotW results from those who have already sent me nominations up until Thursday 12 January 2012 (obviously the games must have been completed in 2011).

Since I've now realised that the GotY poll can't really be published until the second week of January, I will accept nominations from those who have not yet sent me any until Wednesday 11 January 2012. Just as a reminder, nominations must come from any GotW top 3 from 2011 and should be sent by PM. I will accept up to 25 nominations per person.

I hope that clears things up; thanks again to those who have already sent me nominations. Hopefully the GotY 2011 poll will be up and running some time around Friday the 13th (oooooh).

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Only a couple of days to send in nominations if you haven't yet done so.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

UPDATE: There are currently 12 games with ≥n nominations and 30 games with ≥(n-1) nominations. As it stands, I'm leaning towards a poll with 30 nominees and up to 5 votes each (same 1:6 votes:nominees ratio as last year). I hope 30 doesn't sound like way too many nominees, but I think 12 is far too few. These figures may yet change if I receive any further nominations before the deadlines (tomorrow for first-time nominators and Thursday for those supplementing existing nominations). Ideally I'd like something along the lines of 4 votes for 24 nominees, but I'd like to think that those interested in voting in the first place won't be put off by there being 30 worthy nominees. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the number of nominees or the votes:nominees ratio (not that I can do much about it as things stand other than run with only 12 nominees).

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

After discussion with some of the greatest minds of our aptogeneration, I've decided to run with 13 nominees (that received 3 or more nominations) for GotY 2011 and to give an honourable mention to the 17 games that received 2 nominations and just missed out on making it to the final poll. There should be a new thread with the GotY 2011 poll up later today.