Official Thread of Brag

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Official Thread of Brag

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

New record! Goatdown 9. Should have had a max game but got NORTHER just out of time.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:My first ever max speedgoat
Awesome. ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:New record! Goatdown 9. Should have had a max game but got NORTHER just out of time.
Nice work. How long before a maxmetamaxmax I wonder?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=129215

More of a joint brag this, Frank Turkey and I managed a double-perfect Junior Numbers Attack. Posted here mostly so that Frank's first 200 game doesn't go completely unnoticed, as it'll presumably now be hidden away in the "Junior Numbers Attack + TB" page.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

This game is probably my best performance on apterous to date, and the conundrum was probably one of my proudest moments playing the game.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JackHurst wrote:This game is probably my best performance on apterous to date, and the conundrum was probably one of my proudest moments playing the game.
Whichever of Sid and I allowed that through as a valid conundrum must've been cackling wildly as we did so... Great spot.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
JackHurst wrote:This game is probably my best performance on apterous to date, and the conundrum was probably one of my proudest moments playing the game.
Whichever of Sid and I allowed that through as a valid conundrum must've been cackling wildly as we did so... Great spot.
Indeed, very nice. You'll have to take the cackling credit though as I wasn't involved in selecting the hypernundrums (I did half of the juniors).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Simon Myers wrote:(I did half of the juniors)
:shock:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Not Bad for someone with a Goatdown rating of 1048.

Just out of interest, is this the sort of thing that sets the cheatomatic off?
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

My first max 15 rounder in three months :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JackHurst wrote:Just out of interest, is this the sort of thing that sets the cheatomatic off?
You'll find out next time you log in :twisted:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Charlie Reams wrote: You'll find out next time you log in :twisted:
OH NOES! You banned me!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Not super-impressive as they're quite common nowadays but here's a perfect 9 rounder without a single 8 or 9. Plus the final scoreline LOL 69 :P
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't mean to err brag or anything but I was quite pleased with this bullet numbers attack against Apterous Prime. I looked at the record table afterwards and apparently my score of 180 has only been beaten once - by Richard Brittain who got 200. But he played Prune and had all one larges, whereas my game against Prime meant that half of the games were three large. Maybe some of the rounds were a little bit easy though.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

It's an extremely rarely-played format, but I've just set a new apterous record in Hypergoat 9. Whilst the record should be reasonably straightforward to beat for anyone so inclined, the game is more notable for a 12-letter word in round 2, which I guess adds me to a relatively small group of folks to have spotted a 12 in one of the Hyper formats.

In frustration, I'm annoyed to have missed out on 3 extra points in the conundrum, as I had spotted the solution before the final letter was revealed and was checking I was correct, when the final letter appeared seemingly slightly before the sweep on the clock reached the 30-second line.

Still, I'm enjoying my one and only apterous record while it lasts... probably not too long, I'd guess!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:It's an extremely rarely-played format, but I've just set a new apterous record in Hypergoat 9. Whilst the record should be reasonably straightforward to beat for anyone so inclined, the game is more notable for a 12-letter word in round 2, which I guess adds me to a relatively small group of folks to have spotted a 12 in one of the Hyper formats.

In frustration, I'm annoyed to have missed out on 3 extra points in the conundrum, as I had spotted the solution before the final letter was revealed and was checking I was correct, when the final letter appeared seemingly slightly before the sweep on the clock reached the 30-second line.

Still, I'm enjoying my one and only apterous record while it lasts... probably not too long, I'd guess!
Nice one. I should think that'll start for a while because getting 12s is still pretty hard work.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=133523

New personal best :)
Nice one Eoin :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 2613776875

For only his second game this is super impressive
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 2613776875

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? ...
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Alec Rivers wrote:

You mean, why is Eoin bragging about a game in which he wasn't involved? Yes, I thought that was odd. ;)
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Was fairly straightforward (apart from the conundrum, which came to me in the nick of time), but here is the first max Omelette game.

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=134933
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:

You mean, why is Eoin bragging about a game in which he wasn't involved? Yes, I thought that was odd. ;)
It's only cos he's not a forumite.
Niall Seymour
Rookie

Post by Niall Seymour »

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Niall Seymour wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 0888437420

My biggest ever scalp.
:( I am losing more than often lately, nice one btw but I am raging about that conundrum miss!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Bob De Caux wrote:Was fairly straightforward (apart from the conundrum, which came to me in the nick of time), but here is the first max Omelette game.

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=134933
Sweet.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Nothing too mid-blowingly tough, but here's my first 14-max Goatdown. I like how the bodge in round 8 makes it nice and symmetrical. :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Quite happy with this since the two rounds I missed were ones I'd miss regardless of the time control.

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=136743

Bullet 15 max is just around the corner for someone.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

YES

It only cost me around 840 rating points, but I finally got that.... one sun credit. Let this be a warning.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Innis Carson wrote:YES
Unlucky with the mis-clicks in rounds 2 and 8. :(
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Innis Carson wrote:YES

It only cost me around 840 rating points, but I finally got that.... one sun credit. Let this be a warning.
I think this means that "The Riddler's Path" will remain forever locked in my star chart.

But congratulations, nonetheless. :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Alec Rivers wrote: Unlucky with the mis-clicks in rounds 2 and 8. :(
It's not really unlucky. The guardian is rexesque on the 30th star so you need to buzz around 0.7 seconds to make sure you're first. Innis kinda pressed and hoped before actually solving it and in rounds 2 and 8 it didn't pay off. Truly remarkable determination, Innis, well done. You deserve some kinda of pathway trophy.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

One of my sweetest max games against the one and only Chris Davies. A little bit of niceness from Chris leaving the conundrum for me though.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 6894763836
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Star 30 on Anaesthetist's Avenue. Although, in fairness, it not nearly as tough as some of the other Star 30s seem to be.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

New records on Lightning goat 9 and Speedgoat 9 with numbers frustration on both- on the first one time ran out as I was entering my declaration for round 8, and on the second one I must've hit the wrong key on entry as my declaration of (7-5/5)*25+8/2 goes awry and accidentally clicking 5-5 instead of 5/5 costs me a max game and a stratospheric score. Oh well, I'll settle for the record. :)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ben Wilson wrote:New records on Lightning goat 9 and Speedgoat 9 with numbers frustration on both- on the first one time ran out as I was entering my declaration for round 8, and on the second one I must've hit the wrong key on entry as my declaration of (7-5/5)*25+8/2 goes awry and accidentally clicking 5-5 instead of 5/5 costs me a max game and a stratospheric score. Oh well, I'll settle for the record. :)
Unlucky on the 154, but good stuff :)
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

A new record in the extremely rarely-played format of "Hyper Unlimited Flat 9". Note that because conundrums are worth 5 points in this Flat scoring format, my performance would be equivalent to a score of 94 (the equal 2nd best score ever) in the more frequently played scoring system of "Hyper Unlimited 9". (In fact, I might have done even better, as you get 45 seconds for Hyper Unlimited in the normal scoring system, compared to 30 seconds in Flat 9.)

It's also a format best of 7 maxes out of 9, although this only shows as 6 due to my 16-letter-word INDISTINCTNESSES being truncated to its first 15 letters in my declaration. (A problem with all words over 15 letters in length, as previously mentioned in the Bugs thread.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:A problem with all words over 15 letters in length, as previously mentioned in the Bugs thread.)
I've been trying to fix this, it's surprisingly tricky because it requires a complete rebuild of the word table, which is ~4 million rows. I could take the server down for an hour to do it but people seem surprisingly resistant to this!
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I can understand people's resistance!

Although I do seem to be pretty much the only person who plays Unlimited and Hyper Unlimited enough to get occasional 16+ letter words, I'd still like to see this fixed. Perhaps it's possible one time when the apterous server is down for other reasons anyway?

No worries if it's not practical... although I'll get back to you in the highly unlikely event it ever costs me a max game in future! (Think I'm some way off a perfect Hyper Unlimited 9, although I did once manage to get the first 7 rounds perfect, only to stuff up the second numbers game and the conundrum.)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

This game is Brag and Frustration. I was really chuffed with how I played, especially against a former great of the show. I think if I did actually get the seconds numbers, I would have been too nervous to spot some of the words that I did get after it. Tom was unlucky with PASSINGS.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Bayfield wrote:A new record in the extremely rarely-played format of "Hyper Unlimited Flat 9". Note that because conundrums are worth 5 points in this Flat scoring format, my performance would be equivalent to a score of 94 (the equal 2nd best score ever) in the more frequently played scoring system of "Hyper Unlimited 9". (In fact, I might have done even better, as you get 45 seconds for Hyper Unlimited in the normal scoring system, compared to 30 seconds in Flat 9.)

It's also a format best of 7 maxes out of 9, although this only shows as 6 due to my 16-letter-word INDISTINCTNESSES being truncated to its first 15 letters in my declaration. (A problem with all words over 15 letters in length, as previously mentioned in the Bugs thread.)
Boo and hiss to you - that was my only record :cry:
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The first Flat 15 max game, a new PB, my second max 15-rounder ever... and still nowhere near Stephen's coveted record.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Finally, after 1516 attempts, my first max gamehttp://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=147321 (with a little help towards the end)( Cheers Eoin)
DAINTIES was probably my best spot.
Couple of hairy moments towards the end (was considering germaner rd 11 and scalions rd 12)
Coming straight on the heels of my best nine spot in this game: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=147299

(N.B. no performance-enhancing drugs were used,nor did I at any time handle the ball)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

GERMANE was a great spot, well played.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

My first Junior 15 max game, and the first by anyone in Flat Scoring (not that that really makes any difference). Woo!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

First ever letters attack max game

:D :D :D

Edit: It isn't listed as "letters attack" but "custom". Please say this will be listed as a max letters attack game, otherwise I'll cry.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Kirk Bevins wrote:First ever letters attack max game

Edit: It isn't listed as "letters attack" but "custom". Please say this will be listed as a max letters attack game, otherwise I'll cry.
Well done, I'll give you a prize if I get the chance.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:First ever letters attack max game

It won't count as a max letters attack, because the picking order is wrong (the Guardian picked every round). I can add it as a custom format if you like.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: It won't count as a max letters attack, because the picking order is wrong (the Guardian picked every round). I can add it as a custom format if you like.
Ah bollocks. How frustrating. I'll just have to max a normal attack then won't I.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: It won't count as a max letters attack, because the picking order is wrong (the Guardian picked every round). I can add it as a custom format if you like.
Ah bollocks. How frustrating. I'll just have to max a normal attack then won't I.
Which is surely not beyond a man of your calibre, Your Kirkness. :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Please do. A max letters attack is most of the way to the inevitable back-to-back max games...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think this is my best comeback (although Scott kinda gifted me at the end) http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=149462
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I brag to have been in the same game as Innis Carson to witness this excellent performance!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

JackHurst wrote:I brag to have been in the same game as Innis Carson to witness this excellent performance!
I particularly like the conundrum scramble.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Probably my best performance to date: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=151979. I had the conundrum but couldn't find the key in time. Against an easier opponent with a full 30s it might've been a max game.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Simon Myers wrote:Probably my best performance to date: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=151979. I had the conundrum but couldn't find the key in time. Against an easier opponent with a full 30s it might've been a max game.
I think this is probably your best performance to date - including records of highest losing score and also highest joint score by some way.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Simon Myers wrote:Probably my best performance to date: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=151979. I had the conundrum but couldn't find the key in time. Against an easier opponent with a full 30s it might've been a max game.
I think this is probably your best performance to date - including records of highest losing score and also highest joint score by some way.
Well, that happened after I posted the first game :P

I enjoyed that letters attack though, including the bagging of 3 pencils I think - MONISTIC, INHALATOR and (oddly) SKIMPS. My first ambulance too :D
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=152618 17-max Letters Attack, a pb in terms of maxes and 2 points off my pb. My secret? Listening to Iron Maiden whilst playing. :)