Firewall busting

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Firewall busting

Post by David O'Donnell »

Is it possible to have a version that can be accessed via a library firewall? I know the answer is probably nay but chess sites like caissa have java lite options that bypass firewalls.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: New stuff

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote:Is it possible to have a version that can be accessed via a library firewall? I know the answer is probably nay but chess sites like caissa have java lite options that bypass firewalls.
I'm looking at ways to get through firewalls, because a couple of people have asked me about playing at work and such like. Unfortunate Caissa's approach is basically to have correspondence chess. Correspondence Countdown wouldn't be quite so fun, I suspect.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Charlie Reams wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:Is it possible to have a version that can be accessed via a library firewall? I know the answer is probably nay but chess sites like caissa have java lite options that bypass firewalls.
I'm looking at ways to get through firewalls, because a couple of people have asked me about playing at work and such like. Unfortunate Caissa's approach is basically to have correspondence chess. Correspondence Countdown wouldn't be quite so fun, I suspect.
Erm, caissa offers a live facility ... actually. Unless I have been hallucinating all these G/2s (games in two minutes) but they are the only site I can play live chess on from a library, the rest are, as you rightly point out, correspondence sites.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I didn't find that part of the site... actually. I've fiddled with some stuff today that may allow you to slip through a library firewall, assuming it's a cheap and simple one. Give that a try and see what works. Likewise Corby and whoever else asked me about firewall bypassing.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:I didn't find that part of the site... actually. I've fiddled with some stuff today that may allow you to slip through a library firewall, assuming it's a cheap and simple one. Give that a try and see what works. Likewise Corby and whoever else asked me about firewall bypassing.
Cool, will try on Monday at work :)
Big kisses if it works. It's gonna be such fun :D
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Seriously, I think I am in love with the genius that is Charlie Reams - cheers mate. Anyone else would have said, "fuck off, I have already put in a shitload of work you complete ungrateful bastard!"

Edit: I am house sitting a few nights this week (four dogs [two of each are fucking huge!] and five cats) so I will have some all through the night non-firewall access: challengers please line up to slaughter me mercilessly as I am flabbier than ever [in the Countdown sense - I was always flabby in the general sense] having been truly sickened of Countdown after the finals in May.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Firewall busting

Post by Jon Corby »

Yup, it works for me at work now. I couldn't spectate on a game (same connection time out error as previous) but I honestly couldn't give a rat's arse about that, I certainly don't want to spectate while I'm at work!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

No joy with the library firewall I am afraid - but thanks for trying.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Back to shitty library computers but suppose I could use computers at cyber cafe if I knew there was a definite time someone wanted to play.

I beseech thee please!

Or maybe should just get an effing computer of my own.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Cybercafe seems to have the same glitch, ffs and the guy at the kiosk made me pay in advance (I must have that sort of face).