General feedback

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: General feedback

Post by Derek Hazell »

I had a few games this weekend, as I hadn't been using Apterous much since registering 2 months ago. I like playing humans, as it's quite friendly, but I realized I should really be doing some more practice against robots as well. It's impossible not to beat Prune, as he usually just comes up with nonsense words, or real words which aren't in the selection. I think his main purpose is for top players to practice getting maximum games against. Nude is quite good fun, and useful for a beginner level. Waldorf also is good, but frustrating, as he is terribly inconsistent. But then that keeps you alert.

Anyway, as someone who is not generally a game player, I would say that my experiences have been positive overall, and I will certainly visit again and try to slowly improve.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Derek Hazell wrote: I think his main purpose is for top players to practice getting maximum games against.
This makes little sense. If you're getting max games then you can play against any robot, even Rex. The only thing Rex will do to stop you getting a max game is get the conundrum in 0.7 seconds ish. I enjoy playing Prune as I know he won't buzz in so quick for conundrums so will play him at conundrum attacks as it gives me the full time to see if I can get it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

How did Numberbash get to be a variant listed on the stats page? Is it because I played it so many times as custom that it came high up on some stats thing so you (Charlie) gave it a name? Also how did others (Ben Wilson, Phil Makepeace - both listed on the stats page) work out how to have a game of this, as it seems quite tightly defined (simply playing 8 numbers games and a conundrum just comes up as custom)? But it does give me a big(ger) ego to think that by overplaying a custom variant it got given a name.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:How did Numberbash get to be a variant listed on the stats page? Is it because I played it so many times as custom that it came high up on some stats thing so you (Charlie) gave it a name?
Yep :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:How did Numberbash get to be a variant listed on the stats page? Is it because I played it so many times as custom that it came high up on some stats thing so you (Charlie) gave it a name?
Yep :)
Presumably this was the days before the total number of games hit 6 figures, meaning there's no point in me attempting to get the 100-rounder 'recognised'?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:Presumably this was the days before the total number of games hit 6 figures, meaning there's no point in me attempting to get the 100-rounder 'recognised'?
And how did you know how to play it?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Presumably this was the days before the total number of games hit 6 figures, meaning there's no point in me attempting to get the 100-rounder 'recognised'?
And how did you know how to play it?
Took a bit of trial and error but not too difficult to figure out. Bear in mind I have a compulsive need to have played all the variants/formats around* so nothing would really have stopped me.

*Cue Charlie now adding about 150 new ones.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

When you are entering your numbers solution in the bit after the time and you do it wrong, it asks if you want to "commit to 5+3" or whatever but there seems to be no way out, so is that just a rhetorcial question? (and I know that you can chance the last thing you typed but often it's the +-/* that needs changing and you've already done the next number and thought "shit").
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:When you are entering your numbers solution in the bit after the time and you do it wrong, it asks if you want to "commit to 5+3" or whatever but there seems to be no way out, so is that just a rhetorcial question? (and I know that you can chance the last thing you typed but often it's the +-/* that needs changing and you've already done the next number and thought "shit").
You've answered your own question there. It's to give you the chance to change the digit. Also it allows you to extend the current line, e.g. to go 5+3x4.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=128574

I may be cracking up but, in round 8 of this game, Apterous reckons the exact target is not gettable but I think it is. Obviously I was a little too slow so I didn't get the points but I think it's do-able.

10x10x2x4=800
(800+6)*5=4030
4030-7+6=4029

Am I right or am I cracking up? (My numbers record at present is remarkably poor!).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Karen Pearson wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=128574

I may be cracking up but, in round 8 of this game, Apterous reckons the exact target is not gettable but I think it is. Obviously I was a little too slow so I didn't get the points but I think it's do-able.

10x10x2x4=800
(800+6)*5=4030
4030-7+6=4029

Am I right or am I cracking up? (My numbers record at present is remarkably poor!).
Apterous occasionally doesn't manage to get hyper numbers solutions when they are actually possible.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ian Volante wrote:

10x10x2x4=800
(800+6)*5=4030
4030-7+6=4029

Apterous occasionally doesn't manage to get hyper numbers solutions when they are actually possible.
Especially when it comes to 8-small selections or high targets. It skews the stats a little but never mind. :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:

10x10x2x4=800
(800+6)*5=4030
4030-7+6=4029

Especially when it comes to 8-small selections or high targets. It skews the stats a little but never mind. :)
And from this game, it seems that Carol and Rex can both beat each other. After 5 rounds me and Rex were both ahead of the "max" (my first and last 5 games went to plan but the middle 10 fell off a bit). Anyway, Carol ended up beating Rex by 2 points, but I know that in round 12 they were both beatable as when I tried to blag my way to the target I ended up 2 away. Over the long haul are Rex and whoever plays the Carol/Rachel role equally good?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Over the long haul are Rex and whoever plays the Carol/Rachel role equally good?
Yes.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Over the long haul are Rex and whoever plays the Carol/Rachel role equally good?
Yes.
Also does it make any difference how long the rounds are? I was aware that Rex could be beaten on hyper numbers so tried him out with some 5-second rounds but as this shows, he was still pretty good.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Yes.
Also does it make any difference how long the rounds are? I was aware that Rex could be beaten on hyper numbers so tried him out with some 5-second rounds but as this shows, he was still pretty good.
I don't think there's any relevance what round length you play. This is alluded to by the statement that "Carol/Rachel" and Rex are equally good, since "Carol/Rachel" only get a very small amount of CPU time to find a solution (more on the order of microseconds than seconds here). I think bots get their "thinking time" at the end of the round, which accounts for the slight delay after entering your own solution (along with verifying that the solution you entered is correct).

Edit: This may bring about the question "why not just give Rex and "Carol/Rachel" the same numbers solution rather than calculating it twice?". I presume the answer is that since Rex is a special case (the other bots are intentionally not infallible) it's not worth writing the extra code for what probably makes up less than 10 seconds compute-time a week.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Simon Myers wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:does it make any difference how long the rounds are? I was aware that Rex could be beaten on hyper numbers so tried him out with some 5-second rounds but as this shows, he was still pretty good.
I don't think there's any relevance what round length you play.
Are you still just talking about Rex, Sid? If so, fair enough, but I'm semi-definitely sure this statement is wrong for the bots as a whole; shorter rounds do make them much weaker.

Having done a quick test with four letters rounds, Plum got a max game at 30 seconds, and only one max out of four with 10 second rounds. This suggests that round time makes more of a difference the lower down a bot's ranking is, which makes total sense of course in simulating a less awesome player. I think a few months ago I was trying out this round time theory on Waldorf (weaker than them all but Prune), and I think in that case changing from 30 seconds to 10 seconds was even more pronounced, the difference between generally declaring not-bad words, and literally declaring no words at all for several rounds.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Matt Morrison wrote:Are you still just talking about Rex, Sid?
Yes I was exclusively talking about Rex. The other bots will be weaker in speed rounds by design. You'd have to ask Charlie about how he programmed the fallibility of the lesser bots though, as restricting the time they're given to solve a numbers round is a valid - if potentially inconsistent vis-à-vis human fallibility* - method (but again we're on the order of millisecond differences, not 10 vs 30s). If it truly took Waldorf 30 seconds to get a numbers solution then apterous would be very laggy indeed.

* This depends on the algorithm used by bots to find number solutions.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I suppose because Rex has been designed to get everything, he's been programmed to do the same in all lengths of games, whereas the other bots will do worse by design. So the amount of time in the round isn't anything to do with computing time for the bots (which is always the same) but as a system to determine how well they should do. And Rex should always be at the top of his game in all lengths of round. Is that what you're saying Simon?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I think we pretty much all agreed with each other before we even started talking. Which is cool, and strangely rare for C4C.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Yep that's pretty much it.

As an aside, it appears that some bots are disproportionately-skilled in different disciplines. In particular I think this affects Caesar, Plum and Velvet. For example Velvet is very strong at letters games, currently 11th overall in terms of maximums, but is hitting below 60% on average for numbers maxes. As the top numbers players page on statland doesn't go any lower than 25 (currently at 73% maxes) we can assume Velvet is unlikely to be in the top 100 numbers players.

This discrepancy mainly affects player ratings, about which there seems to be mixed opinions on here. The only other thing I can think of are those that want a reliable late-night numbers attack opponent in the 60-80% maxes range. I just wondered if anyone else has an opinion on this?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Simon Myers wrote:Yep that's pretty much it.

As an aside, it appears that some bots are disproportionately-skilled in different disciplines. In particular I think this affects Caesar, Plum and Velvet. For example Velvet is very strong at letters games, currently 11th overall in terms of maximums, but is hitting below 60% on average for numbers maxes. As the top numbers players page on statland doesn't go any lower than 25 (currently at 73% maxes) we can assume Velvet is unlikely to be in the top 100 numbers players.

This discrepancy mainly affects player ratings, about which there seems to be mixed opinions on here. The only other thing I can think of are those that want a reliable late-night numbers attack opponent in the 60-80% maxes range. I just wondered if anyone else has an opinion on this?
Caesar and Plum are actually set up in wildly different ways that very cleverly give similar standards of play, I'll leave Charlie to explain the details though. :)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Simon Myers wrote:Yep that's pretty much it.

I know it must be incredibly difficult to get the right balance, but the relative weakness of Caesar, Velvet and Prime at the numbers has led to their ratings becoming much lower than is realistic, as they tend to get "milked" for their ratings points via Numbers Attacks (Plum is less susceptible because of his tactic of choosing six small). I don't know what the solution is beyond beefing them all up a bit on the numbers games, or maybe having separate ratings for letters/numbers/conundrums. Not very helpful, sorry!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

How does Apterous decide who gets to be top on a records page with joint scores? It's not always the oldest one, or the newest one but seems pretty random. And when it decides that someone new goes top it puts it in the record progression. Like here.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Gavin Chipper wrote:How does Apterous decide who gets to be top on a records page with joint scores? It's not always the oldest one, or the newest one but seems pretty random. And when it decides that someone new goes top it puts it in the record progression. Like here.
I think the tie-breaker is how many times people have sucked Charlie's wanger.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

At the risk of kissing ass, (consider it a credit to allow me a small whinge at some point in the future), I do like to mention well thought-out bits of programming... one example of which has just come to light following the recent change to hide the letters selection during the Patience Time at the end of Letters rounds.

When playing in German, where Umlauted characters appear in Letters selections, those Umlauted characters do NOT disappear during the Patience Time at the end of the 30 seconds (or however long the round is). Thus you can still enter a word using those characters, by clicking on them, just as you would while the clock is running. I would imagine Charlie has done the same in Greek, or any other languages using non-English characters.

It’s not always easy to remember the effect that one global change might have right the way across such a big application as big as apterous, so I was impressed by that.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:At the risk of kissing ass, (consider it a credit to allow me a small whinge at some point in the future), I do like to mention well thought-out bits of programming... one example of which has just come to light following the recent change to hide the letters selection during the Patience Time at the end of Letters rounds.

When playing in German, where Umlauted characters appear in Letters selections, those Umlauted characters do NOT disappear during the Patience Time at the end of the 30 seconds (or however long the round is). Thus you can still enter a word using those characters, by clicking on them, just as you would while the clock is running. I would imagine Charlie has done the same in Greek, or any other languages using non-English characters.

It’s not always easy to remember the effect that one global change might have right the way across such a big application as big as apterous, so I was impressed by that.
Thanks :) I think the idea was Sid's. And yes, anything other than A-Z stays up, so Greek is unaffected by the recent changes.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I'm liking the boldness for the TTTs..they really stand out in the Bash Room especially. Brilliant.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The new pencils set up on the homepage looks fantastic.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kirk Bevins wrote:What are the items in the inventory - the blue goat, the orange goat and the Benjamins? I think this may need to be added to the FAQ as it's a frequent question (I'll ask it 24 more times if necessary).

EDIT: Before anyone asks - 25 is an arbitrary number I picked for the number of questions to make it a FAQ.
On a similar note, I've noticed in the past (but didn't really think about it at the time) that I didn't always get a duel jewel on completion - is there some criterion that determines when one is awarded? According to the charts, I've got 443 jewels from 610 duels.

p.s. This didn't seem to fit very well in any other thread I could find, hence the Frankenthread.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:I've noticed in the past (but didn't really think about it at the time) that I didn't always get a duel jewel on completion - is there some criterion that determines when one is awarded? According to the charts, I've got 443 jewels from 610 duels.
I think Duel Jewels were only invented a few months into the existence of apterous, so I guess most of us doing them since near the start will be light by some.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I've noticed in the past (but didn't really think about it at the time) that I didn't always get a duel jewel on completion - is there some criterion that determines when one is awarded? According to the charts, I've got 443 jewels from 610 duels.
I think Duel Jewels were only invented a few months into the existence of apterous, so I guess most of us doing them since near the start will be light by some.
Not to worry, though, I hear Naomi Campbell might have a few going spare.

TOPICAL!!!
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

I'm really liking the new item inventory "high score" pages, Charlie. (So that's what slippers were supposed to be.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andrew Feist wrote:I'm really liking the new item inventory "high score" pages, Charlie. (So that's what slippers were supposed to be.)
Announcement coming later today. The bad news about this is people are gonna find out how broken some of the items are/have been.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Looking forward to finding out what 'bunny boiler' and 'ostracon' are for. And now there's 'silver pencil' I can see what it's all building up to. Awesome :mrgreen:
Charlie Reams wrote:The bad news about this is people are gonna find out how broken some of the items are/have been.
Just found out my silver bug item isn't listed on the silver bug page. Does this mean I get a silver bug :twisted: ?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote:I'm really liking the new item inventory "high score" pages, Charlie. (So that's what slippers were supposed to be.)
Announcement coming later today. The bad news about this is people are gonna find out how broken some of the items are/have been.
The pencils aren't separated by type. Silver bug? :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote:Looking forward to finding out what 'bunny boiler' and 'ostracon' are for. And now there's 'silver pencil' I can see what it's all building up to. Awesome :mrgreen:
Charlie Reams wrote:The bad news about this is people are gonna find out how broken some of the items are/have been.
Just found out my silver bug item isn't listed on the silver bug page. Does this mean I get a silver bug :twisted: ?
Haha okay. Almost as meta as when someone inevitably requests a Glory Roll for "Most 1st places on Glory Roll".
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I'm guessing the Orange Egg was awarded for completing the Orange Task, not the Red Task, as it currently states here.

Actually Charlie, on the subject of inventory items, wasn't I supposed to remind you, like, _months_ ago, to ask you for an inventory item for being the first apterite to get all Skills to Level 3? (One of the aptochallenges.) ;-) [Not a serious request, btw. Whilst I'm proud of my multi-format feat of stubbornness, I didn't ever think it was entirely worthy of a trinket!]
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

OK, I've wondered this for the long enough - who the fuck is General Feedback?

Edit: THE LONG ENOUGH
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Michael Wallace wrote:OK, I've wondered this for the long enough - who the fuck is General Feedback?
A very good friend of Major Fuckup.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Charlie: the new Word Stats (most frequent maximums by lexicon and variant) is a massive improvement, and much appreciated by a statto like me.

In particular, I had to chuckle at this page - it's an ongoing "in-joke" between Anglo Italian and I that we always miss the "word" UNICEF in German... and lo and behold, it's top of the pile! The same goes for UNESCO in 14th place... we always miss that one too. In fact, looking at the stats in more detail, only once in 30 appearances as a max has anyone managed to offer UNICEF... and as for UNESCO, no-one's pencilled it despite 18 appearances as a max, 16 of those just between Anglo Italian and myself!

I've also found it interesting to look at some of the languages I don't speak. For example, from the "most frequent Hebrew words" list, I note that תרקומנה has got 11 other anagrams, which suggests a richness you wouldn't find in many European languages.

And a request: would you be able to modify the Superstats "most frequently offered words" page to be broken down by language and variant? The reason I ask is that my list is completely swamped by Unlimited or Aegilops words, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I would quite like to know what my most common offerings are in Normal variants.

--Matt
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I guess this is the most appropriate place to post this: All the new pages and features and stats and shit that have been added over the past few weeks are fucking awesome. Cheers Charlie - what impresses me most is that you could be perfectly content to stand still (apterous is already ridiculously fully-featured compared to other online games) but no, there's still new things added every day. It's totally much appreciated here (and I'm sure elsewhere).
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Matt Bayfield wrote: I've also found it interesting to look at some of the languages I don't speak. For example, from the "most frequent Hebrew words" list, I note that תרקומנה has got 11 other anagrams, which suggests a richness you wouldn't find in many European languages.
This is probably because Hebrew is normally written without vowels - if the same applied to English, one could (for example) find at least 20 anagrams of THuNDRouS, going all the way up to HouSeTRaiNeD :roll:

(Idea for basis of a variant?) :?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JimBentley wrote:I guess this is the most appropriate place to post this: All the new pages and features and stats and shit that have been added over the past few weeks are fucking awesome. Cheers Charlie - what impresses me most is that you could be perfectly content to stand still (apterous is already ridiculously fully-featured compared to other online games) but no, there's still new things added every day. It's totally much appreciated here (and I'm sure elsewhere).
Cheers man. I'm driven by a curious compulsion to improve things, I feel like apterous is a precocious child who I must constantly tutor. Plus I always think that if you're charging people for something, you need to do a bit more than just making sure the disk doesn't fill up. And I still have a to-do list as long as Matt Morrison's dong, so there's plenty more to come over the coming weeks and months.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:I guess this is the most appropriate place to post this: All the new pages and features and stats and shit that have been added over the past few weeks are fucking awesome. Cheers Charlie - what impresses me most is that you could be perfectly content to stand still (apterous is already ridiculously fully-featured compared to other online games) but no, there's still new things added every day. It's totally much appreciated here (and I'm sure elsewhere).
It all sounds pretty good. I haven't played for months so I'm looking forward to getting back into it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Charlie: the new Word Stats (most frequent maximums by lexicon and variant) is a massive improvement, and much appreciated by a statto like me.
Welcome :)
In particular, I had to chuckle at this page - it's an ongoing "in-joke" between Anglo Italian and I that we always miss the "word" UNICEF in German... and lo and behold, it's top of the pile! The same goes for UNESCO in 14th place... we always miss that one too. In fact, looking at the stats in more detail, only once in 30 appearances as a max has anyone managed to offer UNICEF... and as for UNESCO, no-one's pencilled it despite 18 appearances as a max, 16 of those just between Anglo Italian and myself!
Yeah, those are kinda annoying. If anyone has a smart idea for how I can delete the proper nouns, please let me know.
And a request: would you be able to modify the Superstats "most frequently offered words" page to be broken down by language and variant? The reason I ask is that my list is completely swamped by Unlimited or Aegilops words, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I would quite like to know what my most common offerings are in Normal variants.
Yep, will do.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Charlie wrote:
Yeah, those are kinda annoying. If anyone has a smart idea for how I can delete the proper nouns, please let me know.
Unless you could somehow replace the lexicons with the official Scrabble lexicons for the various languages, I can't think of a reliable way to remove proper nouns which are present in the German, Dutch, and I think also in at least one of the Italian or Spanish lexicons.

My view is that until apterous gets large numbers of (fluent) non-English language players (as opposed to people like me who just like playing in their second languages), I don't think it's worth your time or effort messing with the dictionaries. Annoying as it might be from a "purist" point of view, I've actually come to embrace many of the proper nouns - I think at least two of my foreign language PBs have included them. Plus I'm always quite amused to score points for offering something daft like PORSCHE, or TURIN, or PENTIUM.

And on a different subject (although risking giving too much compliments for one day) the ability to change language in Lexplorer, which you've just added, is something I've wanted for ages. (I've never bothered to request it as there's a slow way around it... so you're either reading my thoughts, or you have a canny knack for what us users might like.)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I'm liking the ability to change dictionary more easily in lexplorer
Opening up the stemmer box on this page takes a while.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:I still have a to-do list as long as Matt Morrison's dong
And no further mention was made? I don't know if that's a sign of collective jealousy or sympathy.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
And no further mention was made? I don't know if that's a sign of collective jealousy or sympathy.
You just had to point it out didn't you?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Sympathy. We've heard the rumours, and it's not polite to rub it in. Although it's nice that both it and Charlie have recently become employed ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I like the fact that you can now filter by length in Word Stats. At some point I'll have a good look at all the most common nines in Normal, Goatdown and Touchdown and try to Sponge them.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:I like the fact that you can now filter by length in Word Stats. At some point I'll have a good look at all the most common nines in Normal, Goatdown and Touchdown and try to Sponge them.
:) Plenty more where that came from.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I think the Hall of Spoons is excellent. But it'll probably be flooded with Innis Carson's games. (Unless he lets them go unnoticed, like this: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=293393 )
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Charlie Reams wrote: Recipients of a Spoon are known as Spooners.
Can the names of the Spooners be unveiled in pairs please... *sniggering at the back*
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thanks for reducing the in-game windows for Duellist games and stuff, much improved. Real good work.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Apterous wrote:News: Just for your information, Lexplorer searches are now being logged, so don't use it to see if your credit card number has any anagrams or something.
Now you will see how often I use it as a tool for crosswords.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Apterous wrote:News: Just for your information, Lexplorer searches are now being logged, so don't use it to see if your credit card number has any anagrams or something.
Now you will see how often I use it as a tool for crosswords.
I'm not really planning to read the logs in full, it's just useful to figure out how people use it and streamline it for that.
Matt Morrison wrote:Thanks for reducing the in-game windows for Duellist games and stuff, much improved. Real good work.
You're welcome, it had been on my to-do for a while.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:I'm not really planning to read the logs in full, it's just useful to figure out how people use it and streamline it for that.
Wow, just shows how different minds work. I'd use the logs to quantify how often people Lexplore CUNT and FUCK.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:I'm not really planning to read the logs in full, it's just useful to figure out how people use it and streamline it for that.
I think 95% of my use is "damn I didn't get a pencil for that, let me Lexplore the other one I had and see if I would have got a pencil for that... I would have? Fuck."