General feedback

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: General feedback

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Phil Reynolds wrote:In the list of online players, why are some names in bold and others not? What's the difference?
Which of these do you see when you enter Apterous Phil?

Picture 1 or Picture 2

When you first sign in you get Picture 1, but if you refresh so you automatically sign back in, you end up with Picture 2 instead :D
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Which of these do you see when you enter Apterous Phil?

Picture 1 or Picture 2

When you first sign in you get Picture 1, but if you refresh so you automatically sign back in, you end up with Picture 2 instead :D
Not quite sure what you mean about signing back in, but anyway from memory I think it sometimes comes up with just my name in bold, sometimes all names in bold and sometimes none.

I've never seen any of the names in blue like your illustration - they're always black. Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen any of the bot names in the list of online players either (even when someone's playing against one of them).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I've never seen any of the names in blue like your illustration - they're always black. Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen any of the bot names in the list of online players either (even when someone's playing against one of them).
Non-contrib members don't get shown the bots (since they can't play against them.)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:Non-contrib members don't get shown the bots (since they can't play against them.)
I can see them now. :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Not quite sure what you mean about signing back in, but anyway from memory I think it sometimes comes up with just my name in bold, sometimes all names in bold and sometimes none.
Say you have just signed into Apterous and you are ready to play (you can see all the names in black etc) you should have what is resembled in Picture 1 :)

If you were then to click on "refresh" (or press F5 on your keyboard), so the page was refreshed, it would sign you back in again, and then everything would be bolder and the bots names come up in blue as shown in Picture 2 :D

I don't know about anyone else, but this always works for me :D
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Joseph Bolas wrote:If you were then to click on "refresh" (or press F5 on your keyboard), so the page was refreshed, it would sign you back in again
There's no refresh button on the Firefox window that pops up when I sign in to apterous (nor indeed any of the normal browser buttons at all). F5 does nothing, and neither does Ctrl-r (which is the standard keyboard shortcut for page reload in Firefox).
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:If you were then to click on "refresh" (or press F5 on your keyboard), so the page was refreshed, it would sign you back in again
There's no refresh button on the Firefox window that pops up when I sign in to apterous (nor indeed any of the normal browser buttons at all). F5 does nothing, and neither does Ctrl-r (which is the standard keyboard shortcut for page reload in Firefox).
Ah, It must just work then on IE, because I don't use Firefox. Sorry about that Phil :oops:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Ah, It must just work then on IE, because I don't use Firefox. Sorry about that Phil :oops:
If you put the cursor in the address bar and then press F5 then it works.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Now that I'm a Generous Type TM, how do I upload my avatar so it shows up in the dialogue following each round like everyone else's?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Say you have just signed into Apterous and you are ready to play (you can see all the names in black etc) you should have what is resembled in Picture 1 :)

If you were then to click on "refresh" (or press F5 on your keyboard), so the page was refreshed, it would sign you back in again, and then everything would be bolder and the bots names come up in blue as shown in Picture 2 :D

Your method of changing to picture 2 works? But isn't picture 2 the "wrong" one?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Say you have just signed into Apterous and you are ready to play (you can see all the names in black etc) you should have what is resembled in Picture 1 :)

Your method of changing to picture 2 works? But isn't picture 2 the "wrong" one?
Sorry Gavin, but I don't get what you mean.

Are you saying that you are not meant to get that 2nd layout or is there a 3rd layout thats different to what I have posted?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

Sorry Gavin, but I don't get what you mean.

Are you saying that you are not meant to get that 2nd layout or is there a 3rd layout thats different to what I have posted?
I think the first layout is the one you're meant to get. Your post seemed to imply you try to get the second one.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Now that I'm a Generous Type TM, how do I upload my avatar so it shows up in the dialogue following each round like everyone else's?
Does anyone apart from Charlie actually have a custom avatar? I think the generic dude looks quite like me so I'm in no hurry to upload mine.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Sorry Gavin, but I don't get what you mean.

I think the first layout is the one you're meant to get. Your post seemed to imply you try to get the second one.
I get you know.

I wasn't like suggesting that you deliberately do that to get the 2nd layout, oh no, it's just when Phil said that the names were in bold, I thought he stumbled across the 2nd layout (were all the names are in bold) and was seeing if that's what Phil had saw and if so, was explaining how that would've happened.

It's not the case though obviously, as Phil didn't know about the 'refresh' at all, so it must've just been a bug. I'm not sure though if what I have come across, is also a bug too.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Now that I'm a Generous Type TM, how do I upload my avatar so it shows up in the dialogue following each round like everyone else's?
Does anyone apart from Charlie actually have a custom avatar? I think the generic dude looks quite like me so I'm in no hurry to upload mine.
Kirk has one, but he's the only one I have seen (excluding some of the bots of course).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:
Kirk has one, but he's the only one I have seen (excluding some of the bots of course).
And because I'm a retard, I had to ask Charlie to put it on there.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Paul Howe wrote:Does anyone apart from Charlie actually have a custom avatar? I think the generic dude looks quite like me so I'm in no hurry to upload mine.
I recall noticing in at least one game I've played that my (human) opponent had an avatar and I didn't. Now I come to think of it, it may well have been Charlie. But I was assuming that anyone could upload their own because of this item in the list of donors' benefits on the website:
Direct from Gimmick Central: give yourself a custom picture! Tired of looking like the old Facebook logo? You can have your ugly mug, or someone else's, appear in the game itself. Impress friends and relatives alike.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:Does anyone apart from Charlie actually have a custom avatar? I think the generic dude looks quite like me so I'm in no hurry to upload mine.
I recall noticing in at least one game I've played that my (human) opponent had an avatar and I didn't. Now I come to think of it, it may well have been Charlie. But I was assuming that anyone could upload their own because of this item in the list of donors' benefits on the website:
Direct from Gimmick Central: give yourself a custom picture! Tired of looking like the old Facebook logo? You can have your ugly mug, or someone else's, appear in the game itself. Impress friends and relatives alike.
You can, but there's no automated system to do it; if you want to send me a picture then I can do it for you (or use your forum avatar.)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:You can, but there's no automated system to do it; if you want to send me a picture then I can do it for you (or use your forum avatar.)
Are there any dimension limits and file size limits for your Apterous avatar?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Are there any dimension limits and file size limits for your Apterous avatar?
Yep.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Are there any dimension limits and file size limits for your Apterous avatar?
Yep.
What are they, please.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

On this subject, how do you change your avatar?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:On this subject, how do you change your avatar?
Email me the picture you want (or I can use your avatar from here.)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:Email me the picture you want (or I can use your avatar from here.)
I'm itching to do this (as you can probably tell from the number of times I've asked about it) but I'm waiting for you to answer Joseph's question about dimension limits etc.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:On this subject, how do you change your avatar?
Email me the picture you want (or I can use your avatar from here.)
Please can you use my current avatar for this forum?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Email me the picture you want (or I can use your avatar from here.)
I'm itching to do this (as you can probably tell from the number of times I've asked about it) but I'm waiting for you to answer Joseph's question about dimension limits etc.
The image needs to be 64 pixels high and not more than about 96 wide, JPEG or PNG format; the rest is up to you.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

In my only ever game of Goatdown I noticed that there was a time limit for thr last letter. Is there any logical reason why there should be a time limit for that but not for consonant/vowel choices, or for the last choice in a normal round? And what happens if you miss the time limit? I never did that.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:In my only ever game of Goatdown I noticed that there was a time limit for thr last letter. Is there any logical reason why there should be a time limit for that but not for consonant/vowel choices, or for the last choice in a normal round? And what happens if you miss the time limit? I never did that.
It makes sense as top players could choose the first 8 then run through all 26 letters of the alphabet mentally until they spot a 9 or an obscure 8. After the first 7 there are so many possibilities to choose from so there is no need for a time limit. One could sit there and think "I need an ER for a 9, or an AT, or maybe a TV" so Charlie has it right. Also, if time runs out on the last letter, an S is selected.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Personally I think there should be a time limit on normal selections, especially in speed games- I confess I've abused the system there more than once. :oops:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:The image needs to be 64 pixels high and not more than about 96 wide, JPEG or PNG format; the rest is up to you.
Cheers Charlie - I've emailed you a JPEG. It's the same pic as my forum avatar, just reduced in size to fit the criteria above.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Cheers Charlie - I've emailed you a JPEG.
Poo. I have no avatar at all now (not even the default one).
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Cheers Charlie - I've emailed you a JPEG.
Poo. I have no avatar at all now (not even the default one).
Same here - time for some bug hunting, Charlie... ;)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:In my only ever game of Goatdown I noticed that there was a time limit for thr last letter. Is there any logical reason why there should be a time limit for that but not for consonant/vowel choices, or for the last choice in a normal round? And what happens if you miss the time limit? I never did that.
It defaults to an S if you miss the time.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Can you upload my avatar please?

kthxbye
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Poo. I have no avatar at all now (not even the default one).
Just played a game against Jon Corby and he christened me 'the invisible man'. :|
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Just played a game against Jon Corby and he christened me 'the invisible man'. :|
Who said that? :?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Just played a game against Jon Corby and he christened me 'the invisible man'. :|
You did, in the chatroom during this game. Or, if not you, someone else called Jon Corby.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
You did, in the chatroom during this game. Or, if not you, someone else called Jon Corby.
Um... yeah, it was an 'invisible man' joke which was unlikely to work when it's written down, and names you in the quote, and several other factors. But I tried :(
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:Um... yeah, it was an 'invisible man' joke which was unlikely to work when it's written down, and names you in the quote, and several other factors. But I tried :(
:)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Frank Rodolf wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Poo. I have no avatar at all now (not even the default one).
Same here - time for some bug hunting, Charlie... ;)
You did say that it didn't pay to be patient Charlie, so... are you working on this problem at all or have you just forgotten about it? The lack of any kind of avatar means that my declarations tend to be hard to spot in the end-of-round dialogue, as this screenshot illustrates:

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:You did say that it didn't pay to be patient Charlie, so... are you working on this problem at all or have you just forgotten about it?
Hadn't forgotten as such, but pestering me has probably moved you up the priorities list a bit.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:The image needs to be 64 pixels high and not more than about 96 wide, JPEG or PNG format; the rest is up to you.
Cheers Charlie - I've emailed you a JPEG. It's the same pic as my forum avatar, just reduced in size to fit the criteria above.
Thanks Charlie - sort of... I now have an apterous avatar - but for some reason it's stretched horizontally, so I appear to have an abnormally wide head. Which I don't, before you ask.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Thanks Charlie - sort of... I now have an apterous avatar - but for some reason it's stretched horizontally, so I appear to have an abnormally wide head. Which I don't, before you ask.
My information above was wrong. It can be any dimensions (although it gets scaled to 64x64) but it should be square, otherwise the aspect ratio goes awry. If anyone wants to submit a new picture in the light of this information then go ahead.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I like the redesign of the website. Nicely done Charlie and Jono :D
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

You seemed to have changed the word search feature to just state "dictionary corner" got it. Is there a way you could revert back to the "Jon Corby vs Kirk Bevins"? I wanted to see if I'd seen PERACUTE before and I'm sure I had so I did a word search which would tell me instantly had I seen it but missed it (i.e. DC got it) but instead I had to click each individual game that said "dictionary corner" to check to see if I played in it.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I like how the metamax now links to the stemmer, nice one!

And double clicking the words taking you to wikipedia is cool too, but most of what I've clicked on doesn't have an article (e.g. PERACUTE!), maybe it would be better to link to dictionary.com or similar?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:You seemed to have changed the word search feature to just state "dictionary corner" got it. Is there a way you could revert back to the "Jon Corby vs Kirk Bevins"? I wanted to see if I'd seen PERACUTE before and I'm sure I had so I did a word search which would tell me instantly had I seen it but missed it (i.e. DC got it) but instead I had to click each individual game that said "dictionary corner" to check to see if I played in it.
I'd like to second this, as thats the main reason I use the word search.

Cheers.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:You seemed to have changed the word search feature to just state "dictionary corner" got it. Is there a way you could revert back to the "Jon Corby vs Kirk Bevins"? I wanted to see if I'd seen PERACUTE before and I'm sure I had so I did a word search which would tell me instantly had I seen it but missed it (i.e. DC got it) but instead I had to click each individual game that said "dictionary corner" to check to see if I played in it.
That thing was kind of clumsy. Most of the time if you search for a word you want to know who got it, not who didn't. Maybe I could add a "only show games I was involved in" button, or something.
Paul Howe wrote:I like how the metamax now links to the stemmer, nice one!

And double clicking the words taking you to wikipedia is cool too, but most of what I've clicked on doesn't have an article (e.g. PERACUTE!), maybe it would be better to link to dictionary.com or similar?
Yeah, I've discovered that, and Wikipedia often doesn't have redirects to the root wood (so if you look up CLOWNS it doesn't take you to Clown.) Dictionary.com is a bit crap. Maybe I should just point it to Google, or maybe Google's I'm Feeling Lucky, which will tend to return the Wikipedia page if it exists and something else useful if not.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:That thing was kind of clumsy. Most of the time if you search for a word you want to know who got it, not who didn't. Maybe I could add a "only show games I was involved in" button, or something.
Maybe this would do the trick for Kirk, but I much prefer the old system.. I like seeing how many times a word has appeared and who has missed it as well as who has spotted it. That's a fun way I like to engage with the database. Maybe I'm the only one though.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:That thing was kind of clumsy. Most of the time if you search for a word you want to know who got it, not who didn't. Maybe I could add a "only show games I was involved in" button, or something.
Maybe this would do the trick for Kirk, but I much prefer the old system.. I like seeing how many times a word has appeared and who has missed it as well as who has spotted it. That's a fun way I like to engage with the database. Maybe I'm the only one though.
No, I'm exactly the same as you Jono. With my mate and personal trainer Simon Myers, he plugs away with some obscure words he's teaching me or ones I've got and says "oohh, Paul Howe doesn't know it and neither does Ben Pugh - it's obviously a goodie", that kind of thing.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:With my mate and personal trainer Simon Myers, he plugs away and says "oohh it's a goodie"
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:With my mate and personal trainer Simon Myers, he plugs away and says "oohh it's a goodie"
:lol: Thing is, the way that Kirks and Jonos use a feature is not necessarily the way that everyone else uses a feature. If the current implementation had been the original one, I really doubt anyone would be suggesting that we also list the names of all the people who happened to be in a game when someone else got a given word.

That said, I am always open to new ways to slice up the database, so feel free to suggest things.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:No, I'm exactly the same as you Jono. With my mate and personal trainer Simon Myers, he plugs away with some obscure words he's teaching me or ones I've got and says "oohh, Paul Howe doesn't know it and neither does Ben Pugh - it's obviously a goodie", that kind of thing.
You have a personal trainer? What? Are you mad?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:No, I'm exactly the same as you Jono. With my mate and personal trainer Simon Myers, he plugs away with some obscure words he's teaching me or ones I've got and says "oohh, Paul Howe doesn't know it and neither does Ben Pugh - it's obviously a goodie", that kind of thing.
Yeah, Simon trains him in skills like "understanding jokes".
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Keep it down, Charlie, you have a coach too! ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ha ha - very good, but with Kirk you never know. He seems more obsessed than most with this Apterous thing.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Ha ha - very good, but with Kirk you never know. He seems more obsessed than most with this Apterous thing.
I'm really confused now. I was being serious.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Ha ha - very good, but with Kirk you never know. He seems more obsessed than most with this Apterous thing.
Oh, OK then - I thought Charlie was implying that I was missing the joke (because I haven't been trained in it myself), but maybe I read too much into it.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Oh, OK then - I thought Charlie was implying that I was missing the joke (because I haven't been trained in it myself), but maybe I read too much into it.
I'm not sure what Charlie was on - I think he was having a dig at me, not you.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
That thing was kind of clumsy. Most of the time if you search for a word you want to know who got it, not who didn't. Maybe I could add a "only show games I was involved in" button, or something.
Another possibility is to add another column, "Other Participants" or something, which gives the name of the opponent or both players (if DC noted the word). For bonus points, bold names of players who offered an equal-length but different word.

That also provides a possible way of handling words that come up in duels, perhaps by saying "multiple" under participants, and then either having other players in the ALT text (kinda ugly) or as a collapsible list.