Best screenshot

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Re: Best screenshot

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'm putting some of these on my Facebook 'Countdown Screen Shots' album. If anyone objects, I'll remove them. I guess Charlie owns the copyright anyway.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Martin Gardner wrote:I'm putting some of these on my Facebook 'Countdown Screen Shots' album. If anyone objects, I'll remove them. I guess Charlie owns the copyright anyway.
Will you be rehosting the images or linking to them in their original locations? If the latter, be warned that I shall probably be moving mine at some point. If/when I do, I'll edit the forum posts that they're in to reference the new locations, but any links you've created will break.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:I'm putting some of these on my Facebook 'Countdown Screen Shots' album. If anyone objects, I'll remove them. I guess Charlie owns the copyright anyway.
Sounds fine to me.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=2 ... 47#r438547

L for COPULATE. You're lucky you're not one of my offspring.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I wrote:Sometimes the insertion of a DC word into the template dialogue has an outcome that is truly felicitous:

And another one along the same lines, which almost made up for being insulted by Jeremy Kyle throughout one of my worst Duel performances ever:

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Will you be rehosting the images or linking to them in their original locations? If the latter, be warned that I shall probably be moving mine at some point. If/when I do, I'll edit the forum posts that they're in to reference the new locations, but any links you've created will break.
Quick heads up Phil just for the sake of being informative - Facebook photos all have to be uploaded to their server, you can't make albums from external images.
It's an interesting point, especially if you consider their recent attempts to change their terms & conditions - FB wanted to retain the rights to images (and all other content) that you upload regardless of whether you eventually close your account - which was overthrown by mass rejection in favour of a return to the previous set up whereby they delete all of their copies of your images and stuff if you remove your account.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:whereby they delete all of their copies of your images and stuff if you remove your account.
...except not really. The images are still there, it's just that the public can't access them. You can confirm this by closing and then reopening your account, because all your old stuff will reappear.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:whereby they delete all of their copies of your images and stuff if you remove your account.
...except not really. The images are still there, it's just that the public can't access them. You can confirm this by closing and then reopening your account, because all your old stuff will reappear.
Not quite true Charlie, although I suppose I perhaps should have been more clear.
If you just 'close your account' through the confusingly-titled 'close my account' link, then yes, things are kept on the server and can be resurrected if you choose to come back.
But they DO make it a bit clearer these days that if you 'terminate' your account (by e-mailing support) then absolutely everything gets deleted properly.
Can confirm this happens as a mate of mine who was on an anti-corporate tip decided to terminate his account and then three days later needed some pictures of himself for some reason and re-signed up to find a totally blank 'as new' account in place of where all his bits had been.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Not quite true Charlie, although I suppose I perhaps should have been more clear.
If you just 'close your account' through the confusingly-titled 'close my account' link, then yes, things are kept on the server and can be resurrected if you choose to come back.
But they DO make it a bit clearer these days that if you 'terminate' your account (by e-mailing support) then absolutely everything gets deleted properly.
Can confirm this happens as a mate of mine who was on an anti-corporate tip decided to terminate his account and then three days later needed some pictures of himself for some reason and re-signed up to find a totally blank 'as new' account in place of where all his bits had been.
Interesting. I still wouldn't trust them to really really delete anything, but then if I had something really incriminating or private then I wouldn't put it on Facebook in the first place.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

My Facebook security settings are so tight that nobody can get to me.
Which makes the whole exercise a bit futile I suppose.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ralph Gillions wrote:My Facebook security settings are so tight that nobody can get to me.
I was looking for a mate yesterday who I know quite well.
Searched, found her. Laughed for a moment that she had her profile picture turned off for searches ("how does she expect friends to know its her?").
Thought I'd look at her friend list, see if it sounded like it was her. Oh, she's got her 'View Friends' option turned off.
Oh well I'll just add her as a friend anyway, presume it's her. Oh, she's got the 'Add Friend' option turned off too.
Hmm guess I'll just have to send her a message then and ask her to do the add herself. Oh, she's removed the 'Send Message' option too.
Talk about cagey.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:My Facebook security settings are so tight that nobody can get to me.
I was looking for a mate yesterday who I know quite well.
Searched, found her. Laughed for a moment that she had her profile picture turned off for searches ("how does she expect friends to know its her?").
Thought I'd look at her friend list, see if it sounded like it was her. Oh, she's got her 'View Friends' option turned off.
Oh well I'll just add her as a friend anyway, presume it's her. Oh, she's got the 'Add Friend' option turned off too.
Hmm guess I'll just have to send her a message then and ask her to do the add herself. Oh, she's removed the 'Send Message' option too.
Talk about cagey.
Yeah I look up people with common names all the time, and if there's no photo and no date of birth, you're a bit screwed!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I wrote:Image
PS If you didn't find that funny, you need to look up CAPONIZED in the dictionary.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
I wrote:Image
PS If you didn't find that funny, you need to look up CAPONIZED in the dictionary.
I thought it was funny, although the other one is better.

Question: Why did the Rastafarian go to the bank?
Answer: To open a joint account.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:Question: Why did the Rastafarian go to the bank?
Answer: To open a joint account.
Racist poofter.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Apologies for the size!
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Martin Gardner wrote:Image

Apologies for the size!
Yes, it was a bit small.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Now, I thought playing GONAD was bad enough...I was very, very wrong.
Question is...does he go sloblock-deep?
Oh, cackwires!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Image
Presumably Ann's off to administer herself a quick urine test...

Great spot by the way.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Image
I wish you'd found Apterous before you applied for Countdown.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

8th and 9th rounds, both of us declared PENISES before following up with FELLATED.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Image
I wish you'd found Apterous before you applied for Countdown.
lol wat
Mark Harrison
Rookie

Post by Mark Harrison »

...yes, it really did.

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Brilliant!!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Mental. What is the probability of getting a nine letter word come out from the off, anyone know?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ben Hunter wrote:Mental. What is the probability of getting a nine letter word come out from the off, anyone know?
Stop torturing us statisticians, you nasty person.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:Mental. What is the probability of getting a nine letter word come out from the off, anyone know?
Given that the shuffling is far from truly random, it would be very hard to give anything more than an empirical estimate anyway. So 1 in 548495 is about the best we can do (I checked that it has never happened before.)
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Given that the shuffling is far from truly random, it would be very hard to give anything more than an empirical estimate anyway. So 1 in 548495 is about the best we can do (I checked that it has never happened before.)
Even still, you could argue it has a lot to do with the way in which the contestant chooses the consonants and vowels. If you choose Kirk's way of CCCVVVCVC then you're never going to get a word spelt out, whereas if you're going CVCVCVCVC or something similar then you're inviting words to pop out early on. Finally, if your intention is for a word to be spelt out, the word-in-progress is obviously going to guide your picks, such that if you have AMBIGU from the first 6 letters then it behoves you to next choose a vowel.
Mark Harrison
Rookie

Post by Mark Harrison »

I always go CVCVCVC with my first 7, and yes, when it came out MILEPOS I of course chose two consonants, trying to complete the word. Far from random, but still extremely unlikely!
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

Look at the conundrum times on this one...
__
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

James Hall wrote:Look at the conundrum times on this one...
Amazing! :o
It's shocking it took you so long to solve that! ;)
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Post by Maxine Silkstone »

Can anyone tell me how to get a screenshot into here, it's saved on my desktop as a jpeg. Where do i go from there? It's obviously something to do with Img button up there, but the 'http://image_url' in between the brackets means nothing to me. And if I just paste nothing happens.
Perhaps someone should write a dummies guide to forums...
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Maxine Silkstone wrote:Can anyone tell me how to get a screenshot into here, it's saved on my desktop as a jpeg. Where do i go from there? It's obviously something to do with Img button up there, but the 'http://image_url' in between the brackets means nothing to me. And if I just paste nothing happens.
Perhaps someone should write a dummies guide to forums...
You need to upload the image to the Internet somewhere - I think some people use imageshack, for instance. Then your picture will be located at a url, and then you need to do [img]url_of_your_picture[/img].

Hope that makes sense/is right.
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

And there was me thinking it would be technical! :shock:
Peter Thomas
Rookie

Post by Peter Thomas »

Couldn't find the Screen Print button at the time, but this round 12 was rather amusing.
TITABUSEY BUTTIES 45 - 59 ABUSE BATISTE, BATTIES, BATTUES etc. 86
Barry Evans

Post by Barry Evans »

Happened a while ago - but only just managed to upload it! Interesting conundrum guess! :P
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Barry Evans wrote: Happened a while ago - but only just managed to upload it! Interesting conundrum guess! :P
Haha brilliant. COCKLOVER would make a great scramble.
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Not sure if this lives here or in bugs, certainly had me scratching my head,
"Maybe Junior sometimes does 8 letters not always 7" thinks me after I have found STUTTER and still have an N left over.
then the solution comes up

By the way, thanks for the masterclass on images Michael, as you can see I figured it out.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Maxine Silkstone wrote:Not sure if this lives here or in bugs, certainly had me scratching my head,
"Maybe Junior sometimes does 8 letters not always 7" thinks me after I have found STUTTER and still have an N left over.
then the solution comes up.
Haha. Oops. There was a bug in one of the shuffle generation modules which had been sitting latent for a while but a change to some distant part of the codebase caused it to suddenly be exposed and start spewing out bad conundrums. I think I've fixed this now.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Didn't take a screenshot at the time, but just remembered this conundrum-based anomaly.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=75721

Forget last second, this is somehow past second!
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Charlie Reams wrote:
Maxine Silkstone wrote:Not sure if this lives here or in bugs, certainly had me scratching my head,
then the solution comes up.
Haha. Oops. There was a bug in one of the shuffle generation modules which had been sitting latent for a while but a change to some distant part of the codebase caused it to suddenly be exposed and start spewing out bad conundrums. I think I've fixed this now.
So, in English then, there was a nasty gremlin locked safely in a little box, but then a visiting elf came and loosened the lid and he got out and started throwing mud pies around.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Nice one, Carol.

Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I think this speaks a bit...
Rob Thomas
Rookie

Post by Rob Thomas »

I was nervous about misspelling this one!

Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Rob Thomas wrote:I was nervous about misspelling this one!
DAILYSEX?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

lolled at the scramble
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Derek Hazell wrote:Image
I don't know how to do a screenshot, so I'll just have to do a link instead.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=121816

Despite failing to get the conundrum, Georgina was pleased to get her first win.

IMO not bad for an 11 year old.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Philip Jarvis wrote:I don't know how to do a screenshot, so I'll just have to do a link instead.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=121816

Despite failing to get the conundrum, Georgina was pleased to get her first win.

IMO not bad for an 11 year old.
Haha you meanie! And I was only telling her what a nice guy you are too.

Of course I let her win though ;) :roll:
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote:...an image...
Not bad, but I'm pretty sure Prune has had a disallowed 1 before.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Now that's just greedy.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Omelette's just served up a blinder of a selection:

Alec Rivers
Devotee