Feature requests

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Feature requests

Post by Adam Gillard »

Joseph Krol wrote:Just calculated that it would take me 173 days and 14hrs (ish) to get through a million conundrums(assuming 15sec per conundrum).
You're also assuming that you can do without sleep for about half a year.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Can there be a statland page like this- http://www.apterous.org/statland.php?se ... reer_maxes -but for most career points? All this talk of millions, I'd love to know just how close Carson, Bevins et al are to that magic number.

Edit: also most career wins.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:Just calculated that it would take me 173 days and 14hrs (ish) to get through a million conundrums(assuming 15sec per conundrum).
You're also assuming that you can do without sleep for about half a year.
:D Junior conundrums are just that exciting.
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

Out of interest, how many Junior conundrums are there?
__
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

James Hall wrote:Out of interest, how many Junior conundrums are there?
Must be somehow limited, because pretty much every junior conundrum I don't solve I have heard of, and those weird obscure sevens you get in normal play never seem to come up.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Must be somehow limited, because pretty much every junior conundrum I don't solve I have heard of, and those weird obscure sevens you get in normal play never seem to come up.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Fair point well made Jimbo x2.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Fair point well made Jimbo x2.
*LIKE*
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Yep, all the ODE conundrum lists were filtered by hand. There are 3986 junior conundrums and 4378 hyper conundrums.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I know it's come up loads before but I'll mention it again anyway - can you make it so that the duellist buzzes in or something when you get a conundrum wrong so you don't have to wait for the time to tick down?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I know it's come up loads before but I'll mention it again anyway - can you make it so that the duellist buzzes in or something when you get a conundrum wrong so you don't have to wait for the time to tick down?
They used to do this in the olden days and on the surface it worked really well, but there was something buggering it up behind the scenes iirc.
Dan Abrey
Rookie

Post by Dan Abrey »

Weird idea for a format - text speak, using the letters from a phone keypad. 3 to 5 numbers between 2 and 9 are drawn with differing frequency (depending on the combination of letters on each key), and words are made using unlimited rules.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

As a way of keeping an eye out for fresh talent, one of the criteria for filtering pro ranks could be duration of membership.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Most different words found in each variant.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JackHurst wrote:As a way of keeping an eye out for fresh talent, one of the criteria for filtering pro ranks could be duration of membership.
Also I think 30-59 could do with splitting.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

JackHurst wrote:As a way of keeping an eye out for fresh talent, one of the criteria for filtering pro ranks could be duration of membership.
Like Ned Pendleton
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Could numbers attack record pages have lowest maximum like normal games do? Could have highest maximum for completeness but it's always likely to be 200.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I know it's probably too late to be changing formats once they've been set up, but I think 2 of each small number would be better than 3 in hyper numbers. (There's at least 3 from experience and probably exactly 3). Also since flat scoring was set up to enable both players to score in each round even if one has a worse score, could it be set up so that each player has their own clock on the conundrum, so that both can solve it? That way you could go back to 10 points. Maybe you could call it flat+.

Also in top dog numbers, can we have things other than 2 from the top? (Like one from the top)
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

What's with most of the quickest overall conundrum attacks being done with outrageously easy conundrums?

Anyway could do with some 'nasty' conundrums for CSW.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

How about if you play 8 consecutive normal 15 rounders, you get eight shirts (regarding the cliché that you must buy many shirts if you are an octochamp) as an item idea?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Joseph Krol wrote:How about if you play 8 consecutive normal 15 rounders, you get eight shirts (regarding the cliché that you must buy many shirts if you are an octochamp) as an item idea?
Good idea, but generally it's 5 shirts I think. Not sure about other people though.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:How about if you play 8 consecutive normal 15 rounders, you get eight shirts (regarding the cliché that you must buy many shirts if you are an octochamp) as an item idea?
Good idea, but generally it's 5 shirts I think. Not sure about other people though.
This probably needs a rethink.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
This probably needs a rethink.
How about then, if you play (and win) eight consecutive 15-rounders (not against bots), you get one shirt with an 8 on the back, or something.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Amusing idea but I don't really want to create an incentive to not experiment. Maybe an item for playing a selection of variants, or something.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Amusing idea but I don't really want to create an incentive to not experiment. Maybe an item for playing a selection of variants, or something.
Selection box for 8 different variants in a row?
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

I'd like (on Superstats) "Most Offered Words" to be expanded to also give "Most Offered 8's" and maybe even "Most Offered 7's"...

Though I think 6's and below would be a bit pointless perhaps.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

A list of the players online on the homepage of apterous.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Ryan Taylor wrote:A list of the players online on the homepage of apterous.
I wholeheartedly endorse this idea.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think having someone's Pro Rank on their user page would be good. I don't think there's a way to find it currently without scrolling through all the pages or making them your rival.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I like the way the way it has on the front page the variant, number of rounds and time of the day's duel, but I think it would be even cooler if it had the LNC breakdown.
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

It would be interesting to see how Apterous looked over time in the history pages.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Charlie Reams wrote:
What if you start with a duck when you sign up, then when you first win a game it gets taken away and replaced with a broken duck? You could extend it to have a broken duck egg for your first Omelette win, a broken duckling for your first Junior win, a shot duck for your first Bullet win, un canard cassé for your first French win, etc.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

How about something for being in the game of the week?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Top Dog records (number of rounds rather than percentage).
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

A game of the year vote for 2010 (perhaps the 12 monthly winners or 2nd places too).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Top Dog records (number of rounds rather than percentage).
I'd be more interested in seeing percentages, assuming that the very best never quite reach 100%.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Top Dog records (number of rounds rather than percentage).
I'd be more interested in seeing percentages, assuming that the very best never quite reach 100%.
That would be interesting too, but I think the Top Dog idea of lasting as long as you can is interesting enough in its own right - i.e. regardless of the handicap system. Also, how does the percentage thing work? I still get the feeling that better players are more likely to end up on top from what I've seen.

On the user ratings page, can this be made accessible from a user's page? I don't know of anywhere linking to this other than when Charlie mentioned it existed like here. Also it seems you can only access your own because there's no user number in there and when I click on it, it just goes to mine.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but Hypergoatblitz please! (touch and hypertouch have it, goat has it, logical progression is to hypergoat).

Edit: fun for all the family
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Now that user pics are kicking off, how about changing the top of game recaps, e.g.:

Image Innis Carson 79 - 90 James Nguyen Image

(or perhaps pics straight below the headline if you think they interrupt it?... or maybe even put them in the Cast box (and remove the 'Supporting' bit))
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Also, in-game, the challenge blocks under the Your challenges section are the perfect size to have the (potential/current) opponent's photo left-justified.
Looks more beautiful, makes challenges far more easy to manage, and again promotes the use of photos to those that don't have one yet. A real winner.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Matt Morrison wrote:Also, in-game, the challenge blocks under the Your challenges section are the perfect size to have the (potential/current) opponent's photo left-justified.
Looks more beautiful, makes challenges far more easy to manage, and again promotes the use of photos to those that don't have one yet. A real winner.
*LIKE*
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm not sure any of these ideas make enough use of the images. Maybe put them every other character in chat, like

Image Jon O'Neill: ImageTImagehImageiImagesImage ImageiImagesImage ImagerImageiImagedImageiImagecImageuImagelImageoImageuImagesImage.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Charlie Reams wrote:I'm not sure any of these ideas make enough use of the images. Maybe put them every other character in chat, like

Image Jon O'Neill: ImageTImagehImageiImagesImage ImageiImagesImage ImagerImageiImagedImageiImagecImageuImagelImageoImageuImagesImage.
A-lol
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

This is kinda hard to understand, I find that it is a bit hard to explain but... Where you wrote lag corrections for conundrums do you mean well sometimes when I do conundrum attacks on apterous it kinda like asks the other person what they think the answer is and if they dont get it they ask me and I get it, and where it says how many seconds you got them in well it said I buzzed before the other person but they got the chance to answer first, its happened a few times and is quite strange.... Soph K
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Soph K wrote:This is kinda hard to understand, I find that it is a bit hard to explain but... Where you wrote lag corrections for conundrums do you mean well sometimes when I do conundrum attacks on apterous it kinda like asks the other person what they think the answer is and if they dont get it they ask me and I get it, and where it says how many seconds you got them in well it said I buzzed before the other person but they got the chance to answer first, its happened a few times and is quite strange.... Soph K
Is this relevant?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

If I'm reading back over the chat box and I'm a good bit up the page and someone comes in the room or gets a nine or what have you I get put back to the bottom of the page. Anyway around this?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:If I'm reading back over the chat box and I'm a good bit up the page and someone comes in the room or gets a nine or what have you I get put back to the bottom of the page. Anyway around this?
I think that's come up before. Can't remember what the official response was, but I find it a bit annoying too.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I think the high score pages for formats involving any type of Goatletters rounds should have a Metamax Column to accompany the Score and Max Columns.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

How about a spoilage star path?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Are we ever going to see a Headnote of Hares, Headword of Hurst, Magazine of Monaghan or Paperback of Pati?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matthew Tassier wrote:How about a spoilage star path?
Seconded! I can't believe I forgot that there isn't one yet.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Graeme Cole wrote:Paperback of Pati?
Pati-er-mâché. That is all.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Mark James wrote:If I'm reading back over the chat box and I'm a good bit up the page and someone comes in the room or gets a nine or what have you I get put back to the bottom of the page. Anyway around this?
If you use the scroll bar on the right of the chat box and make sure you leave the cursor in the position along the bar where you are reading, then you can just click on that spot whenever the chat jumps back to the bottom. It's not ideal, but it saves a lot of scrolling up each time.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:
If you use the scroll bar on the right of the chat box and make sure you leave the cursor in the position along the bar where you are reading, then you can just click on that spot whenever the chat jumps back to the bottom. It's not ideal, but it saves a lot of scrolling up each time.
Or just read the chat logs.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

With the top players stats on statland with stats over the last 30 days, it's all very transient, and I was wondering if maybe there could be a more permanent version. for example, with top numbers, letters or conundrum players you could have a separate section that includes each player's best consecutive run of say 500 rounds for each type of round. I think that would be a good all-time great type of stat.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was thinking that the scoring system used in a game should really only be relevant to who wins the game, rather than for records pages. I think for records pages, it shouldn't worry about what scoring system was actually used in a game but check all games played to the same round format.

So for example, Flat 15. The record for this is 118 but only 649 games have been played. The chances are that one of the 142849 15-round games would beat it if the scores were converted.

When I look at records from the actual show, I sometimes look for the best scores under "Gevin scoring". I might also decide to do that for Apterous, but I wouldn't just look for games that happened to be played under "Gevin scoring" - I'd check games under all scoring systems and convert them.

In fact I think it would be a pretty cool idea to be able to be able to check the records for each format under any of the available scoring systems. So at the top of each page you just click the link for each scoring system. You could have different colours for games where the relevant system was actually used and you could still have a separate table on the page to show the top games where the system was actually used, so it would please everybody!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I was thinking that the scoring system used in a game should really only be relevant to who wins the game, rather than for records pages. I think for records pages, it shouldn't worry about what scoring system was actually used in a game but check all games played to the same round format.

So for example, Flat 15. The record for this is 118 but only 649 games have been played. The chances are that one of the 142849 15-round games would beat it if the scores were converted.

When I look at records from the actual show, I sometimes look for the best scores under "Gevin scoring". I might also decide to do that for Apterous, but I wouldn't just look for games that happened to be played under "Gevin scoring" - I'd check games under all scoring systems and convert them.

In fact I think it would be a pretty cool idea to be able to be able to check the records for each format under any of the available scoring systems. So at the top of each page you just click the link for each scoring system. You could have different colours for games where the relevant system was actually used and you could still have a separate table on the page to show the top games where the system was actually used, so it would please everybody!
I've thought about doing something like this before and just never gotten around to it (it would be major hassle to rescore all the old games). Also I've thought for a while that the high scores should be based on raw score rather than actual score, since that way people would be encouraged to play each other more and pound Prune less (which I imagine gets a bit dull). But I dunno if people would be confused to click through from a high score to see a game with a lower score. Hmm.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:Also I've thought for a while that the high scores should be based on raw score rather than actual score, since that way people would be encouraged to play each other more and pound Prune less (which I imagine gets a bit dull). But I dunno if people would be confused to click through from a high score to see a game with a lower score. Hmm.
I like this idea, maybe it could be a separate section? It might clog up the database though.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:I've thought about doing something like this before and just never gotten around to it (it would be major hassle to rescore all the old games). Also I've thought for a while that the high scores should be based on raw score rather than actual score, since that way people would be encouraged to play each other more and pound Prune less (which I imagine gets a bit dull). But I dunno if people would be confused to click through from a high score to see a game with a lower score. Hmm.
I suppose rescoring the games would be quite a drain on resources making it quite slow. You could do it between 4 and 5 in the morning each morning until it's done, when presumably Innis is the only one on. The raw score thing sounds quite good, but I suppose instead of confusing people you could add as a filter thing so you'd have to actively select it. Obviously I don't know how hard/simple these things would be though.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

More classic games?

Especially since J. Robinson.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...