Feature requests

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: Feature requests

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

A happenings archive?

I've been away for the last week and I dunno if I have missed some max games or game of the week worthy matches, and so it would be nice to be able to see them without having to search player's personal happenings pages to see if anything of note had happened.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:A happenings archive?

I've been away for the last week and I dunno if I have missed some max games or game of the week worthy matches, and so it would be nice to be able to see them without having to search player's personal happenings pages to see if anything of note had happened.
This must be one of the saddest things I've ever read. I thought I was bad reading practically every thread on C4C, but apterous is a whole 'nother step. IMHO, of course.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:A happenings archive?

This must be one of the saddest things I've ever read. I thought I was bad reading practically every thread on C4C, but apterous is a whole 'nother step. IMHO, of course.
I haven't actually read every one's page! I was just saying I'd like to see games I may have missed.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:Tbh, all the cool kids just have the clock music in a file somewhere, and play it every round. Much more authentic.
Wouldn't it be awkward to synchronise it each round?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

On the variants page can we have a 'total number of games played' statistic like on the dictionary page?
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

For completeness:

Aegilops Numbers Difficulty is missing from the "Statland: xxxxx Numbers Difficulty" pages. I'd be quite interested to see the results please, if you'd be able to add it?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

I can't remember if I've seen this proposed before, but: <arithmetician's> choice on the numbers game, for when you don't really care (right now I just hold down tab for a while and then randomly press enter, but sometimes you get 4 large and that's just annoying).
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Some words like SENSELESSNESS are never going to be pencilled in as they're only available under variants like Hyper Unlimited, where the max will always be SENSELESSNESSES. How about some sort of pencil / crayon / writing implement to be made available after the plural has been pencilled in? The max has already been noted, but it would be a way of getting the other ones pencilled in.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:Some words like SENSELESSNESS are never going to be pencilled in as they're only available under variants like Hyper Unlimited, where the max will always be SENSELESSNESSES. How about some sort of pencil / crayon / writing implement to be made available after the plural has been pencilled in? The max has already been noted, but it would be a way of getting the other ones pencilled in.
Seems kinda ad hoc. Who's to say that there won't be some future variant in which SENSELESSNESS is a max? *enigmatic look*
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Andrew Feist wrote:I can't remember if I've seen this proposed before, but: <arithmetician's> choice on the numbers game, for when you don't really care (right now I just hold down tab for a while and then randomly press enter, but sometimes you get 4 large and that's just annoying).
What you on about? 4 large is gr8
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Andrew Feist wrote:I can't remember if I've seen this proposed before, but: <arithmetician's> choice on the numbers game, for when you don't really care (right now I just hold down tab for a while and then randomly press enter, but sometimes you get 4 large and that's just annoying).
You could just press enter as soon as the box pops up. That way you get a doable numbers game and it's not 4 large.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

What if the arithmetician fucking loves 4 large though?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Matt Morrison wrote:
What if the arithmetician fucking loves 4 large though?
This is Matts indirect way of requesting Jono as an arithmetician on apterous.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:Some words like SENSELESSNESS are never going to be pencilled in as they're only available under variants like Hyper Unlimited, where the max will always be SENSELESSNESSES. How about some sort of pencil / crayon / writing implement to be made available after the plural has been pencilled in? The max has already been noted, but it would be a way of getting the other ones pencilled in.
Seems kinda ad hoc. Who's to say that there won't be some future variant in which SENSELESSNESS is a max? *enigmatic look*
I see what you mean :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Just a little query: it would be interesting to see how many times someone has been 14 points ahead in a game and lost it. It's happened a lot in my games, like here and here.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I'm Just a little queery
lol we kno
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Just a little query: it would be interesting to see how many times someone has been 14 points ahead in a game and lost it. It's happened a lot in my games, like here and here.
What would be more interesting is those who are 19 behind with 2 to play and end up winning.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Something occurred to me last night whilst grinding out the thirtieth star in the conundrum star path- I'd switched to using the mouse to 'buzz' by clicking on the first letter as that gave me a much-needed couple of tenths of a second, but often once I'd made the initial buzz I found myself under real time pressure to find the second letter on the keyboard. I don't think it ever cost me a round but it did come close, so could the patience bar for the second letter of a conundrum be lengthened by a second of two? It wouldn't encourage cheating because, of course, the first letter is locked and unchangeable and the letters disappear anyway.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ben Wilson wrote:Something occurred to me last night whilst grinding out the thirtieth star in the conundrum star path- I'd switched to using the mouse to 'buzz' by clicking on the first letter as that gave me a much-needed couple of tenths of a second, but often once I'd made the initial buzz I found myself under real time pressure to find the second letter on the keyboard. I don't think it ever cost me a round but it did come close, so could the patience bar for the second letter of a conundrum be lengthened by a second of two? It wouldn't encourage cheating because, of course, the first letter is locked and unchangeable and the letters disappear anyway.
I don't think this post was leet enough.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

On a player's items display case, it'd be cool if you could click on the item's icon to be taken to that item's leaderboard.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Now that prune copies numbers choices, it's fun to play hyper numbers, but is there any chance of altering rexs pick to 6 large, because afterall, he's meant to puck the hardest, and IMO that's what most people would find hardest.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

JackHurst wrote:Now that prune copies numbers choices, it's fun to play hyper numbers, but is there any chance of altering rexs pick to 6 large, because afterall, he's meant to puck the hardest, and IMO that's what most people would find hardest.
Very impressed by your 6 large skills Jack.
I think most people would find 8 small most difficult.
As I imagine you have probably realised 6 large can give the robot more trouble than other selections as a 6 large selection requiring the use of all 8 numbers can sometimes be relatively easy to a well practised human despite taking a long while for the computer to get it by brute force calculation. I think the flexibility of 4 large makes it an appropriately daunting challenge against Rex.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hyperlinks from words in Apterous chat to Lexplorer?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

How about multiplayer for Flat 15 / other flat scoring games? That would be pretty cool.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:How about multiplayer for Flat 15 / other flat scoring games? That would be pretty cool.
That's basically the Duel.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:How about multiplayer for Flat 15 / other flat scoring games? That would be pretty cool.
That's basically the Duel.
Fair enough. How about more Duels incorporating Hypertouchundrums then? ;)

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I don't like being awarded a Duel Jewel.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I don't like being awarded a Duel Jewel.
Dude, stop with the anti-semitism. You're as bad as those damned ragheads.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Got some conundrum removal requests, I think this topic is the most suited place to post them:

The first one should be removed because its a miserable depressing word, whenever it comes up in a game it makes me feel awful. It would never get used on the show too.

The second one is a stupid word, with a much more common anagram which for some reason is not in the dictionary yet. Some might argue that it tests your knowledge of the dictionary, but I think the idea of conundrums is to test your ability to unscramble a word that you are expected to know, you shouldn't be expected to identify multiple solutions and know which one is in the dictionary.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

JackHurst wrote:Got some conundrum removal requests, I think this topic is the most suited place to post them:

The second one is a stupid word, with a much more common anagram which for some reason is not in the dictionary yet.
Is UNCATERED* the anagram you're referring to? I honestly can't think of another plausible one (UNREACTED* sounds silly).

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Adam Gillard wrote:
JackHurst wrote:Got some conundrum removal requests, I think this topic is the most suited place to post them:

The second one is a stupid word, with a much more common anagram which for some reason is not in the dictionary yet.
Is UNCATERED* the anagram you're referring to? I honestly can't think of another plausible one (UNREACTED* sounds silly).
UNREACTED is used all the time in chemistry, it should definitely be in the dictionary.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

JackHurst wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:

UNREACTED is used all the time in chemistry, it should definitely be in the dictionary.
MODDING MODDING MODDING MODDING MODDING MODDING :x :x :x
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Assuming the OED3 is released before Countdown start using it (I couldn't find an official word on its release in my two minutes on google), will there be an option to play apterous with an OED3 word list like you can the CSW?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote:Assuming the OED3 is released before Countdown start using it (I couldn't find an official word on its release in my two minutes on google), will there be an option to play apterous with an OED3 word list like you can the CSW?
I expect that the current "English" dictionary will simply be replaced by OED3, since there's no reason anyone would want to continue playing with the old one (the number of changes is sufficiently small that most people won't notice the difference anyway). I'll probably make the switch after the current series finals are filmed, i.e. beginning of November.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

It would be cool if you got an item for beating your opponent by exactly double their score
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

tomrowell wrote:It would be cool if you got an item for beating your opponent by exactly double their score
On the subject of new items for notable scores, I note the Poultry section lacks a duck. Or a goose-egg, which would mean the same thing. :-)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

tomrowell wrote:It would be cool if you got an item for beating your opponent by exactly double their score
Or triple, quadruple, decaseptuple etc. (I play Howard a lot) :)
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Speaking of new items:
"Who needs numbers?" (Winning a game after scoring 0 on the numbers)
"Who needs letters?" (Winning a game by <30 after scoring 30-0 on the numbers)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Another Lexplorer suggestion:

Introduce the option to mark certain words as "known", so that when lexploring you can chose an option to not show known words, so its not all clogged up with words you already know. The word stats is a really good idea, but I can't help but think that the type of players that would want to use it for learning would more than likely already know most of the words on there. If a player had marked DONATES, RETINOL, DAPSONE, ANODISE etc as known, then maybe when they looked at most declared 7's in normal, the ones at the top would actually be new to them.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Just a little request: could the Nines Offered page in Superstats have counts for each section?
Last edited by Kai Laddiman on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Just a little request: could the Nines Offered page in Superstats have counts for each section?
Your 2000th post Kai!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :D :) :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wish it was me :roll:
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Yet another new item suggestion...

How about a tnetennba for declaring a max word that appears unscrambled in the selection?

If it's a nine you get a "nice tnetennba". :-)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charles, can you whack an 'Ascension' link on to the left hand menu please, at least while the competition is still live? Would be super useful.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

A fundamental of all(?) letters variants is the vowel/consonant choice. How about an option allowing different groupings of letters, such as picking either A-M or N-Z, or high-frequency/low-frequency (this would need some sort of minimum from the low criterion I suspect)?

To make this into a full-blown variant (would need a better name than I can think of, my best effort is Bunch-up), numbers could also be altered in a similar manner, choices being for example 1-49/50-99.

Conundrums, whatever!

Criticisms please, nothing so harsh as ignoring the idea though...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:Criticisms please
Your avatar needs an update.

Rest of the idea sounds interesting.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:

Yep, antlers are so passé this Autumn. The warm glow from the interim non-dismissal of my idea makes up for this for now.

I might have a look around for something new :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

Yep, antlers are so passé this Autumn. The warm glow from the interim non-dismissal of my idea makes up for this for now.

Nevertheless this belongs in another topic, either the existing "new variant ideas" one (which has been somewhat hijacked) or a new one.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: Your avatar needs an update.

Nevertheless this belongs in another topic, either the existing "new variant ideas" one (which has been somewhat hijacked) or a new one.
Oh aye, good point. Done.
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

How about a multi-lingual duel? For example, when each letters/conundrum round pops up the only indication of what language the round is in is from the flag on the notes part.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

When browsing the classic games window would it be possible to have a hide score option? Because when I want to go through an octochamps octorun and see what score they got, it can sort of alert you as to whether there will be a nine or not and spoils it a little bit.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I'm liking the new break down of the dictionary by length. Could we also have a break down by length and vowel count? It would be interesting to see if theres any nines with 7 vowels, or twelves with 2 vowels etc.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

A-lol at 'Coffee milk cup lid collector' being one word in Dutch.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:A-lol at 'Coffee milk cup lid collector' being one word in Dutch.
Is this an item request?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:A-lol at 'Coffee milk cup lid collector' being one word in Dutch.
Is this an item request?
Obviously.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

For some reason I read that as "detector" rather than "collector". Is there a word for "Coffee milk cup lid detector"?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Can we have some more csw star paths please? Junior and Goaty ones would be good. Also, goaty version of the 'My Way' and 'Highway' paths would be really fun.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Please can we have a twelve leaderboard, showing who has got the most twelves from hyper, hypergoat and hypertouch. Maybe a table with a column for each and a total.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
For some reason I read that as "detector" rather than "collector". Is there a word for "Coffee milk cup lid detector"?
I read that as "Coffee milk cup lie detector" & wondered how it works :roll:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JackHurst wrote:Please can we have a twelve leaderboard, showing who has got the most twelves from hyper, hypergoat and hypertouch. Maybe a table with a column for each and a total.
I can happily confirm that Matt has a 12. Possibly more than one.