Feature requests

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Feature requests

Post by Adam Gillard »

JimBentley wrote: I know Innis has survived about 70 odd rounds of conundrums
Actually almost double that: 137
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Having had the 8 vowels and 8 consonants Duels this week (both outside the normal allowed selection parameters), how about a one-off Duel, at some unspecified point in the future, with 5 or 6 large in Touch Numbers? I'd hate playing it, but I'd love to see how the Numbers experts would cope. You may want to opt for Stepdown scoring, in case a number of rounds are not exactly solvable.

(No response necessary, Charlie. Just whack it in as a Duel one time, if you think it's a good idea.)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I'm assuming that it's just too much of a faff to bother with, but I figure I should add my voice to the 'can something be done about blind?' camp. It just seems far too easy to cheat, even when it's goatblind like today's duel) when you can just note down letters/words (indeed, I was having to rely on being a blindy so I didn't accidentally get an advantage from seeing my noted-down words). Is it impossible to, say, make the text you use for noting words white?

(I appreciate that a blind duel is pretty rare, and so really who cares, but when you know there are people who'd cheat at quiz machines about...)
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

Michael Wallace wrote:Is it impossible to, say, make the text you use for noting words white?
Then you wouldn't know if you had a typo until it was time to declare it…not that that hasn't happened to me anyway… :oops:
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

From today's News: "Slightly increased the conundrum difficulty cap for most players, since not enough people were enjoying the delights of 10/10 conundrums." If a conundrum was 10 and everyone started getting it, would it then become a 9? Or if it was a 9 and no-one got it for a while, would it become a 10?

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Miriam Nussbaum wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Is it impossible to, say, make the text you use for noting words white?
Then you wouldn't know if you had a typo until it was time to declare it…not that that hasn't happened to me anyway… :oops:
There is that, yeah, but you could keep the text in the little box you declare in black, so you can check before you hit enter and send it into the notes box below. I know you could still just cheat by typing the letters into the little box first, but you can always just write the letters down on a piece of paper so at least this would stop people accidentally cheating by having a list of words in the notes box.

(Yes, I know the more I write about this the more retardedly pathetic it sounds, I really don't think I care any more.)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Get rid of blind.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Get rid of blind.
Down with drapes!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Curtains for curtains.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Marc Meakin wrote:Curtains for curtains.
Who else but Meakin?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Curtains for curtains.
Who else but Meakin?
giggidy. :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:From today's News: "Slightly increased the conundrum difficulty cap for most players, since not enough people were enjoying the delights of 10/10 conundrums." If a conundrum was 10 and everyone started getting it, would it then become a 9? Or if it was a 9 and no-one got it for a while, would it become a 10?
Yep, the numbers are updated every few months (which might sound slow but the system is actually pretty stable so not many of them change). The details of the system might be of some interest to you. But we only use the first time each person is given each conundrum, so if you learn TAIKONAUT after the first time (as many people do), you won't push the difficulty of it downwards for newbies.

To clarify what's actually changed, we now round *up* the decile that you're in, so the top 10% of players can all now get the 10/10 bastards.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:so if you learn TAIKONAUT after the first time (as many people do)
I give up. What's the answer?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Spaces in the TTT, since it can be surprisingly difficult in Times New Roman to distinguish EALEDFID from EALEDFTD.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hi, would it be possible to freeze out the opponent on the conundrum if they're more than 10 points behind you please? Because the conundrum is apparently an irrelevance to the person trailing, whereas the person leading might like the conundrum to achieve some kind of max game or personal record. This change would be in-keeping with the ethos that COUNTDOWN IS ALL ABOUT WINNERS.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:Hi, would it be possible to freeze out the opponent on the conundrum if they're more than 10 points behind you please? Because the conundrum is apparently an irrelevance to the person trailing, whereas the person leading might like the conundrum to achieve some kind of max game or personal record. This change would be in-keeping with the ethos that COUNTDOWN IS ALL ABOUT WINNERS.
But it's surprising how often the person who's behind actually gets the conundrum, isn't it!
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jon Corby wrote:Hi, would it be possible to freeze out the opponent on the conundrum if they're more than 10 points behind you please? Because the conundrum is apparently an irrelevance to the person trailing, whereas the person leading might like the conundrum to achieve some kind of max game or personal record. This change would be in-keeping with the ethos that COUNTDOWN IS ALL ABOUT WINNERS.
Yes, the taking part is completely irrelevant. That is for girls.

Sadly tho the margin of victory's taken into account when ratings are calculated so all points must at least be made available to both players.

FEATURE REQUEST: Change the ratings system to incorporate this - maybe knock 10 off to start with for being so far behind. If they're that far behind anyway it's all they deserve :lol:

(At a rough calculation tho this would make my rating somewhere below Prune's. :P )
Lowering the averages since 2009
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

GENUINE feature request - how about a collection item for not going for a max word even if it isn't a 9? Not a whole chicken, obviously, but at least a feather. A big yellow one.

Just a thought. 8-)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

A facebook app that reports your newly gained pencils to your friends' newsfeeds, so you can bewilder them.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter wrote:A facebook app that reports your newly gained pencils to your friends' newsfeeds, so you can bewilder them.
This made me smile hard. Fuck I'd love this. Especially as I'm not Facebook friends with fucking Bayfield.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Lesley Hines wrote:GENUINE feature request - how about a collection item for not going for a max word even if it isn't a 9? Not a whole chicken, obviously, but at least a feather. A big yellow one.

Just a thought. 8-)
Cancel that shite idea. I've earned enough tonight to fill duvets for my house, and I've got 10 bedrooms.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:A facebook app that reports your newly gained pencils to your friends' newsfeeds, so you can bewilder them.
This made me smile hard. Fuck I'd love this. Especially as I'm not Facebook friends with fucking Bayfield.
Recognition for my obscure pencil-mining! ;-) That always makes me happy.

Incidentally, I am facebook friends with no-one, although I have nothing against the site. I might bother to register a FB account at some point in the future, if I can be dragged screaming into the technological age.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Please could you add a comments facility to the "Skills" pages, e.g. Way of the Parrot

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Adam Gillard wrote:Please could you add a comments facility to the "Skills" pages, e.g. Way of the Parrot
Also, the comments facility has disappeared from the "Items" pages, e.g. Most chickens

Dmitry Goretsky
Acolyte

Post by Dmitry Goretsky »

Opportunity to select different time limits for letters, numbers and conundrums
I'm a probability guru, so please PM or e-mail me if you need some help about probabilities.

Truly yours,
Dmitry Goretsky <0668964628@mail.ru>
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Dmitry Goretsky wrote:Opportunity to select different time limits for letters, numbers and conundrums
Um, custom game?
Dmitry Goretsky
Acolyte

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Dmitry Goretsky wrote:Opportunity to select different time limits for letters, numbers and conundrums
Um, custom game?
No, FULLY custom. Set 50 sec for numbers, 40 for letters and 30 for conundrums, for example
I'm a probability guru, so please PM or e-mail me if you need some help about probabilities.

Truly yours,
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

This wouldn't be a bad idea for practice games, you'd get more time for the one you're least good at (Numbers for me, for example) and then less for your preferred, or better one.

OMG, I just agreed with Dmitry.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Stats requests- most multitalented/multilingual by number of maxes, total points scored leaderboard (admittedly part of superstats but I can't find it in statland anywhere). For the most played variants, maybe a spot on the high score page showing deciles, e.g. '10% of players achieved a score over __ in 15 rounders'?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Would it be possible to put in people's profiles if they come in the top 10 of some of the stats lists? Not sure how, maybe under the icon or on a separate tab.

Thanks very much :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:Would it be possible to put in people's profiles if they come in the top 10 of some of the stats lists? Not sure how, maybe under the icon or on a separate tab.

Is this different to the Glory Roll?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:Would it be possible to put in people's profiles if they come in the top 10 of some of the stats lists? Not sure how, maybe under the icon or on a separate tab.

No! In fact, exactly the same!! Amazing. It's as if someone had the idea, and implemented it, before I'd even thought of it. Who'd've thought? Even on the user's profile and everything. :lol: Excellent work :D

Off to be a police witness. :oops: :?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

No! In fact, exactly the same!! Amazing. It's as if someone had the idea, and implemented it, before I'd even thought of it. Who'd've thought? Even on the user's profile and everything. :lol: Excellent work :D

Off to be a police witness. :oops: :?
No problem, I consider it reassuring when people suggest features that already exist, albeit a fair criticism of my penchant for naming things creatively rather than logically.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Skill listings for all remaining variants. Suggestions:

Unlimited jnr: larva
Goatdown jnr: kid
Touch jnr: whelp
Omelette: hen
Dogfight: fox
Nasty: fer-de-lance
Aegilops: Wheat fly
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:penchant for naming things creatively rather than logically
I like that. :) Besides, Glory Roll sounds like something you could do with a mars bar ;)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Another statland page request- greatest variety of items?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I think more could be made of the Nasty variant. Maybe, in letters rounds, you only need at least 1 consonant and 1 vowel. And I think it should become an official format (together with Nastynums and Nastycons).
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Can we have a different item for pencils gained in Aegilops so that when I spot Darrens such as POTJIEKOS or VANQUISHABLE in Hypertouch I actually get something other than another measly baseball cap for it? Alternatively you could just replace each of Bayfield's Aegilops pencils with "a piece of turd" so that they would be available again. Thanks in advance.

Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

I have a suspicion that this was requested before, but anyway: Shortcut keys for the numbers (0 1 2 3 4 [5 6 etc for hyper]). I know I can hit tab, and I do hit tab, but still.

Also: I know you've described the conundrum code as hanging together by fingernail clippings and baling wire (not a direct quote), but: can you maybe keep listening for "buzzes" even when the other player has already buzzed in, or maybe stop the clock while your opponent is typing? For instance, in this game, I got the conundrum and started typing but wasn't fast enough and didn't get a letter in before my opponent. But since he took more than 1.3 seconds to get it wrong, I didn't get a chance to buzz in after.

Also: can we make classic games go away when you disconnect/stop/whatever, instead of just sitting in your challenge window being non-resumable?
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I think more could be made of the Nasty variant. Maybe, in letters rounds, you only need at least 1 consonant and 1 vowel. And I think it should become an official format (together with Nastynums and Nastycons).
Or pick either one consonant or one vowel, like that one pair of duels the other week.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andrew Feist wrote:I have a suspicion that this was requested before, but anyway: Shortcut keys for the numbers (0 1 2 3 4 [5 6 etc for hyper]). I know I can hit tab, and I do hit tab, but still.
Sure.
Also: I know you've described the conundrum code as hanging together by fingernail clippings and baling wire (not a direct quote), but: can you maybe keep listening for "buzzes" even when the other player has already buzzed in, or maybe stop the clock while your opponent is typing? For instance, in this game, I got the conundrum and started typing but wasn't fast enough and didn't get a letter in before my opponent. But since he took more than 1.3 seconds to get it wrong, I didn't get a chance to buzz in after.
I don't know if this is broken but AFAIK the clock has always stopped once your opponent buzzes in.
Also: can we make classic games go away when you disconnect/stop/whatever, instead of just sitting in your challenge window being non-resumable?
They're meant to be resumable, is that not the case?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote: Also: I know you've described the conundrum code as hanging together by fingernail clippings and baling wire (not a direct quote), but: can you maybe keep listening for "buzzes" even when the other player has already buzzed in, or maybe stop the clock while your opponent is typing? For instance, in this game, I got the conundrum and started typing but wasn't fast enough and didn't get a letter in before my opponent. But since he took more than 1.3 seconds to get it wrong, I didn't get a chance to buzz in after.
I don't know if this is broken but AFAIK the clock has always stopped once your opponent buzzes in.
Maybe there's some lag calculation that is taken care of along the way, but right or wrong, the clock always jumps when your opponent buzzes in.
Click here for screenshot
Charlie Reams wrote:
They're meant to be resumable, is that not the case?
I've had a classic game against Steven Briers hanging around for a week or so.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Further to Kai's comment above, an alternative option for "Nasty Letters" would be to change the letter distribution. Perhaps there could be an equal number of each vowel in the vowel pile, and an equal number of each consonant in the consonants pile. Would lead to some very short maxes, but would possibly increase the frequency of some unusual words, thus increasing people's vocab.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Further to Kai's comment above, an alternative option for "Nasty Letters" would be to change the letter distribution. Perhaps there could be an equal number of each vowel in the vowel pile, and an equal number of each consonant in the consonants pile. Would lead to some very short maxes, but would possibly increase the frequency of some unusual words, thus increasing people's vocab.
I like this idea, it's pretty cool. I remember when I wrote my Countdown game, I made it so that you could switch between about seven or eight distributions and one of them was pretty much as Matt suggests. Another one was the normal distribution, but with all the 'E's removed, which could also be an absolute bastard.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:Another one was the normal distribution, but with all the 'E's removed, which could also be an absolute bastard.
Absolut bastard, shurely?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JimBentley wrote:
Matt Bayfield wrote:Further to Kai's comment above, an alternative option for "Nasty Letters" would be to change the letter distribution. Perhaps there could be an equal number of each vowel in the vowel pile, and an equal number of each consonant in the consonants pile. Would lead to some very short maxes, but would possibly increase the frequency of some unusual words, thus increasing people's vocab.
I like this idea, it's pretty cool. I remember when I wrote my Countdown game, I made it so that you could switch between about seven or eight distributions and one of them was pretty much as Matt suggests. Another one was the normal distribution, but with all the 'E's removed, which could also be an absolute bastard.
I like this idea too. The only problem is that we already have high scores for Nasty 15, which would be completely unbeatable if I changed the distribution. The only real option is to retire all the old Nasty 15s, which I guess wouldn't be too terrible, it's not that prestigious a record.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
I like this idea too. The only problem is that we already have high scores for Nasty 15, which would be completely unbeatable if I changed the distribution. The only real option is to retire all the old Nasty 15s, which I guess wouldn't be too terrible, it's not that prestigious a record.
Bye bye 2000... :cry:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

JimBentley wrote: Another one was the normal distribution, but with all the 'E's removed, which could also be an absolute bastard.
This. It would be awesome to learn the words that crop up time and time again but with no E...the ones that get you out of pickles, like ROSARIA, INDUSIA, INDUNAS, UNHANDS etc.
Dmitry Goretsky
Acolyte

Suggestion: interface
You can click on cards instead of writing word on keyboard

Truly yours,
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Dmitry Goretsky wrote:Suggestion: interface
You can click on cards instead of writing word on keyboard
I suspect this feature was implemented in around July 2008, but I may be wrong...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Can we have a Leaderboard for longest none mover in pro ranks. I imagine Kirks current run at top would be first by miles. I've been #5 for 9 weeks!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

When someone gets a pencil, can it say what language it was in please? (In aptochat)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:When someone gets a pencil, can it say what language it was in please? (In aptochat)
...just when it's not a normal English one.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:When someone gets a pencil, can it say what language it was in please? (In aptochat)
ITYF that's a bronze pencil.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

While we're in suggestion mode here: Just like when you get an item, it says "items [new]" in the tab, can you do the same for chat when a new chat message appears? (Occasionally I forget to switch back when I'm playing an actual person.) Also, the bots don't talk any more, which I don't really miss, but could you have a switch for "verbose" mode (where they make comments during the game) that triggers if you say something to them?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
ITYF that's a bronze pencil.
No, bronze and non-bronze pencils separate English ODE and all others. CSWs are still English but are not bronze, and Ryan's original message also is about which specific language, not just "English or not". Hebrew, Russian, and Greek are pretty obvious but German/Dutch and French/Italian/Spanish can be confused with certain words.
craig
Rookie

Post by craig »

Is there a way to mute the clock already? If there isn't, could there be please? It's kind of weird listening to music with the clock in the background.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

craig wrote:Is there a way to mute the clock already? If there isn't, could there be please? It's kind of weird listening to music with the clock in the background.
Settings link, just under Play.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Tbh, all the cool kids just have the clock music in a file somewhere, and play it every round. Much more authentic.
craig
Rookie

Post by craig »

Charlie Reams wrote:
craig wrote:Is there a way to mute the clock already? If there isn't, could there be please? It's kind of weird listening to music with the clock in the background.
Settings link, just under Play.

Cheers mate.