Bug reports

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Bug reports

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Joseph Krol wrote:When I was playing the duel today my connection was lost a couple of times. However, when I reconnected, it said that I had blanked the rounds even though I had not seen the full selection, instead of just resetting to the start of the roud like normal. This may be a duel only thing, I don't know, but I feel a bit hard done by (especially as it will determine my seeding in the Tiny Tots Tourney and lost me a useful 13 points).
Thanks for reminding me.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:When I was playing the duel today my connection was lost a couple of times. However, when I reconnected, it said that I had blanked the rounds even though I had not seen the full selection, instead of just resetting to the start of the roud like normal. This may be a duel only thing, I don't know, but I feel a bit hard done by (especially as it will determine my seeding in the Tiny Tots Tourney and lost me a useful 13 points).
Thanks for reminding me.
"Thanks for reminding me,"? Did it happen to you as well?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

No, reminding me to do the duel.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Oh right.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

What's the Duel got to do with Tiny Tots?
cheers maus
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Thomas Carey wrote:What's the Duel got to do with Tiny Tots?
You now know.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Waldorf cheating on lockdown junior nums:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 0#r6305510

(Don't think this is legal)
cheers maus
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:How come this round doesn't get blanked like in duels?
If you were ahead going into a crucial, you could just quit the game and blank the round, winning automatically.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Charlie, please could I make one or two new topics now? Cheers, Sophie.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:
If you were ahead going into a crucial, you could just quit the game and blank the round, winning automatically.
The wise one understands the foibles of human dishonesty and plans meticulously.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
The wise one understands the foibles of human dishonesty and plans meticulously.
Haha, thanks. Maybe I should put this in the Help file.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Also along the similar lines. On a conundrum in a standard 15, if you don't solve it you can logout and then log back in and the conundrum will be reset so you get a different one. So if you are on 14/14 maxes against Prune you can just keep refreshing until you get a conundrum you want. I'm pretty sure this is the case anyway and will try it out now.

Edit: So yeah on a conundrum you can either refresh to get a conundrum you want and even once you've typed in an invalid guess you can still refresh it. How come this round doesn't get blanked like in duels?
Why are you singling out the conundrum? Isn't it the same in all rounds? Obviously in a letters game you don't know what the max score will be, but most numbers are solvable and you can just log out if you can't solve one.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Why are you singling out the conundrum? Isn't it the same in all rounds? Obviously in a letters game you don't know what the max score will be, but most numbers are solvable and you can just log out if you can't solve one.
It's not ideal, but I figured it was worth trading off the potential dishonesty of a small number of people for the general happiness and sanity of everyone else.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Why are you singling out the conundrum? Isn't it the same in all rounds? Obviously in a letters game you don't know what the max score will be, but most numbers are solvable and you can just log out if you can't solve one.
It's not ideal, but I figured it was worth trading off the potential dishonesty of a small number of people for the general happiness and sanity of everyone else.
Yep. I don't think the "duel solution" would be very good.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

The "perfect games" on this page weren't.

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I completed today's Duel, finishing the last round, however, it's not coming up in the chat logs, and I can't see any results on the front leaderboard and it's not on my profile showing completion, I went back in to check if there was any more rounds, but no challenges were showing.

EDIT: It's grand now. :)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

As it's now 10.00am and nobody's apparently played the Duel yet, I'm guessing it's broken in some way.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

JimBentley wrote:As it's now 10.00am and nobody's apparently played the Duel yet, I'm guessing it's broken in some way.
Yeah I think I got to round 6 last night and it won't let me continue.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
JimBentley wrote:As it's now 10.00am and nobody's apparently played the Duel yet, I'm guessing it's broken in some way.
Yeah I think I got to round 6 last night and it won't let me continue.
Yup; broken. I can't get past round 5 or 6 either.
cheers maus
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

taken from the front page moments ago: "Mark Tournoff commented on Catriona Cappleman's game with her." Are there still some issues here or has Mark just decided to self-identify as female?
__
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Hall wrote:taken from the front page moments ago: "Mark Tournoff commented on Catriona Cappleman's game with her." Are there still some issues here or has Mark just decided to self-identify as female?
Yeah pointed this out a while back, it takes the gender from the second player instead of the first.
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Been plugging away at the Ascension in the last couple of weeks, in an attempt to improve my piss-poor conundrum skills. It was my understanding that the height of Mount Conundrum was determined by the number of conundrums used in Apterous, and that during the Ascension each one would be shown. I'd suspected that I'd been getting duplicates for a while, but couldn't be bothered to rootle around to check. Then I got the same word in successive games, here and here. Is my understanding wrong, or is there a problem?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Stuart Arnot wrote:Been plugging away at the Ascension in the last couple of weeks, in an attempt to improve my piss-poor conundrum skills. It was my understanding that the height of Mount Conundrum was determined by the number of conundrums used in Apterous, and that during the Ascension each one would be shown. I'd suspected that I'd been getting duplicates for a while, but couldn't be bothered to rootle around to check. Then I got the same word in successive games, here and here. Is my understanding wrong, or is there a problem?
I've noticed this myself, haven't yet gotten to the bottom of it. For the record you've only had 12 dupes so it doesn't make any significant difference to the height, but it would be nice to fix. Oddly enough almost all of your dupes occurred in this game, which I would imagine is no coincidence.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Stuart Arnot wrote:Been plugging away at the Ascension in the last couple of weeks, in an attempt to improve my piss-poor conundrum skills.
That reminds me of another bug. I've been doing the same (although not so much in the last couple of weeks), but it hasn't improved my conundrum skills. I think Apterous is broken.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

This probably isn't a bug but has anyone else noticed that it doesn't say +TB in the chat box and it also hasn't been saying when I post a PB either.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

In aegilops I offered an 8 and I had another 8 written down and it said "xxxxxx is fine but you could have gone for yyyyyy for 8 though, unlucky" or something like that even though both were the same length.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Kirk Bevins wrote:In aegilops I offered an 8 and I had another 8 written down and it said "xxxxxx is fine but you could have gone for yyyyyy for 8 though, unlucky" or something like that even though both were the same length.
It's always done that. It happens with Omelette too.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

In-game latest games list: names are links. only work for online players (obviously).

don't know if possible to do a kind of "if not online then load website user profile else load in-game player tab" type thing.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I started entering the word REFINE but it didn't let me finish and as such I lost (on 6 TB's admittedly).
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

I played a Bullet Hypernumbers Attack recently, and managed to get a target that Apterous's solver wasn't able to get in 3 seconds. It doesn't count a perfect solve that the game can't get as a max though -- it is possible to change the code so a perfect numbers solve is counted as a max even if the solver can't find it in time?

Matthew's perfect game in this format is the most.... interesting exhibition of this bug.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Just did a conundrum marathon which resulted in a bit of strange behaviour from the conundrum generator.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Ben Wilson wrote:Just did a conundrum marathon which resulted in a bit of strange behaviour from the conundrum generator.
This is apparently a valid word actually -- it's a Yiddish term for an object of little value, like a trinket or bagatelle -- or a "pretty woman" (I'll hold my tongue). Now, why on earth it's a 2/10 on the difficulty scale is more baffling, and if I saw it as an actual conundrum on the show (it could happen given the recent trajectory of conundrum words) I'd punt my TV :lol:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:Just did a conundrum marathon which resulted in a bit of strange behaviour from the conundrum generator.
Yeah, new conundrums are usually rated 2 so we get plenty of data on them and can rank them properly.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Yeah, new conundrums are usually rated 2 so we get plenty of data on them and can rank them properly.
Right, I thought there'd just been some migration across from the nasty list or something. How long until they become playable in ascension?
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Liam Tiernan wrote:What the hell?
What's the bug?
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Assuming that something bugged out in the client? That was a pretty easy round, with 50 sec. to boot.

Also damnit Charlie you wiping the player vs. bot games killed a 1,000 round numbers attack I was 260 rounds in at almost 10% maxes above my current average :cry:
I mean, I know that lag and all and that helps, but still :cry:

:cry:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Steve Balog wrote: Also damnit Charlie you wiping the player vs. bot games killed a 1,000 round numbers attack I was 260 rounds in at almost 10% maxes above my current average :cry:

Not sure what you're talking about, I didn't wipe anything intentionally.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Steve Balog wrote: Also damnit Charlie you wiping the player vs. bot games killed a 1,000 round numbers attack I was 260 rounds in at almost 10% maxes above my current average :cry:

Not sure what you're talking about, I didn't wipe anything intentionally.
Huh, someone told me that when the lag is too much games vs. bots that started X time ago get wiped. I was also told sometimes games just disappear. I knew it wasn't you intentionally.

Figured the three smileys would be enough to suggest I wasn't being wholly serious with the post, but eh. Think I'll just stick to regular nums attacks from now on. Or, at least now on until I have that crazy idea again and actually have the free time to finish it in 48 hours or so.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I've always thought of lag as a phenomenon a bit like a kick in snooker. Or am I wrong and you know exactly what causes it?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Steve Balog wrote:Huh, someone told me that when the lag is too much games vs. bots that started X time ago get wiped.
Faced with a complicated and opaque system, people make up lots of crap. Old games don't get wiped deliberately, ever.
Steve Balog wrote:Figured the three smileys would be enough to suggest I wasn't being wholly serious with the post, but eh.
The first bit was serious, so I thought I should respond to it.
Ryan Taylor wrote:I've always thought of lag as a phenomenon a bit like a kick in snooker. Or am I wrong and you know exactly what causes it?[/url]
It's basically caused by lack of bandwidth, nothing more mysterious than that. There's nothing much I can do about it unless we moved to a dedicated server and started charging £15 a month instead of £15 a year.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Charlie Reams wrote:
What's the bug?
Declared 284. Got 284. Clicked "Done"
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
What's the bug?
Might've been worth mentioning that before. Did you enter a method in the Notes box?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
What's the bug?
I'm not suggesting that this happened to you but sometimes I've worked through a solution and sort of "mentally completed it" while I'm still pressing the last couple of buttons and then pressed something wrongly without noticing and been surprised to find myself without the points.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Steve Balog wrote:Huh, someone told me that when the lag is too much games vs. bots that started X time ago get wiped.
Faced with a complicated and opaque system, people make up lots of crap. Old games don't get wiped deliberately, ever.
Oops - I think this was my fault.

What I posted in chat, was that when you have to intervene to reset apterous, for example because there's been a period of unbearable lag, it sometimes (but not always) has the effect of losing all uncompleted games.

I probably didn't explain clearly enough at the time, so apologies to Steve and Charlie if I gave the impression that games are deliberately wiped.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

FUCKABLE (Touchdown game) didn't work even though it's valid in Lexplorer and you announced it on the homepage.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Dunno if this counts as a bug or not but on my user page it has the comment "Innis Carson tied the high score for Aegilops Numbers Attack with a score of 200. 22 hours ago." It was a game I was in, but all the other things on my page are about me. It also came up twice on the main feed when it happened.

(It wasn't a real record anyway, as it was a sudden death conundrum, but this feature is well known about.)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I think it's about time the rules for unlimited were changed, or at least remove the "aegilops" rules from the rules page on unlimited. Yet again for a duel I've clicked on rules, realise I have to find a 9 letter word then fail to find it. Then the answer tells me it was just a 7 and I've lost ten easy points. I then notice it says "aegilops" for the rules. Frustrating.
I'm not really sure what this is about but, since a few people have now reported a similar thing, I assume it must be more than user error. For me, when I look on the rules tab for Unlimited, I see the rules for Unlimited. If anyone recreates this problem or anything else where it shows you the wrong rules, please send me your console contents (instructions) right away and I'll see if I can get to the bottom of it.
The Rules tab in today's Junior Unlimited duel gives rules for Aegilops. I'm sure I've seen this problem before as well, but I normally only play the variants when they come up in the duel. Perhaps it only happens in duel games?

Firefox doesn't seem to have an option to view the Java Console (at least not in Linux) but I can provide a screenshot if necessary, and the "error tracker" window is empty.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Nah, Graeme, it happens all the time.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

For vital and important reasons of immature humour I wanted to find the game from ages ago where my opponent had STAINED and I had PANTIES. When I searched for STAINED and PANTIES in Lexplorer to get it to show me games where they'd been offered, the list of games it returned didn't go back far enough, presumably because they're offered quite often and there's a limit to the number of results the query brings back.

That's not the bug, though. I thought "aha, I remember STAINED and PANTIES were both maxes, so DC would also have offered PEDANTS" so I searched for that. I couldn't find it in that list, so I found it by trial and error instead. However, the results for PEDANTS included games before and after the one I wanted. Should this round not show up when you do a word search for PEDANTS?
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Graeme Cole wrote:For vital and important reasons of immature humour I wanted to find the game from ages ago where my opponent had STAINED and I had PANTIES. When I searched for STAINED and PANTIES in Lexplorer to get it to show me games where they'd been offered, the list of games it returned didn't go back far enough, presumably because they're offered quite often and there's a limit to the number of results the query brings back.

That's not the bug, though. I thought "aha, I remember STAINED and PANTIES were both maxes, so DC would also have offered PEDANTS" so I searched for that. I couldn't find it in that list, so I found it by trial and error instead. However, the results for PEDANTS included games before and after the one I wanted. Should this round not show up when you do a word search for PEDANTS?
I believe that the count of dictionary corner spots and the count of player spots are independently done when deciding which games to list. All the games prior to your game's date on that list are player spots. So probably not a bug.
Have I just fallen for an elaborate "pedantic" joke?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is it a bug that some people have got so many pairs of slippers?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Is it a bug that some people have got so many pairs of slippers?
The Duellist has 4270.

JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Is it a bug that some people have got so many pairs of slippers?
I think Charlie said that the slipper-counting was broken for a while sometime in the distant past, which is why nobody could figure out what a pair of slippers was actually for (although of course, we know now).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JimBentley wrote:
I think Charlie said that the slipper-counting was broken for a while sometime in the distant past, which is why nobody could figure out what a pair of slippers was actually for (although of course, we know now).
I know it's been broken for at least as long as I've been on apterous (March 2009) except they also seem to have ceased being given out now too, albeit that they were being given out wrongly when they were still being given out. I think, that's largely all speculation cos I don't think Charlie ever told me what they mean - I speculated the obvious ("when you don't declare anything in a round") but he said that wasn't right. So what is it Jim? Or rather, what, when working properly, was it supposed to be?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
I know it's been broken for at least as long as I've been on apterous (March 2009) except they also seem to have ceased being given out now too, albeit that they were being given out wrongly when they were still being given out. I think, that's largely all speculation cos I don't think Charlie ever told me what they mean - I speculated the obvious ("when you don't declare anything in a round") but he said that wasn't right. So what is it Jim? Or rather, what, when working properly, was it supposed to be?
Isn't it meant to be one for your first game, one for your tenth, one for your hundredth and so on? I'm sure it says somewhere, as I'd never have worked it out for myself.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

:?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:Isn't it meant to be one for your first game, one for your tenth, one for your hundredth and so on? I'm sure it says somewhere, as I'd never have worked it out for myself.
Yeah - it says on the page on Apterous that it's for that.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:Isn't it meant to be one for your first game, one for your tenth, one for your hundredth and so on? I'm sure it says somewhere, as I'd never have worked it out for myself.
Yeah - it says on the page on Apterous that it's for that.
So it does.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

For reasons that are too long and unexciting to go into right now, I downloaded Google Chrome last night to give it a try. Everything apterousy works fine but I've just noticed that on Game Of The Week voting page, all the player names seem to have disappeared. So the first game is "0-127" instead of "Apterous Prune 0-127 Josh Hurst", the second is "0-147" instead of "Apterous Prune 0 - 147 Adam Gillard" and so on (you can still see who is in the game by clicking the number of one of the rounds). No big deal really, but I wondered if it was the same for other Chrome people or just me (given that the computer I'm on now is very old and crap)?