Bug reports

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Bug reports

Post by Matt Morrison »

Age old Hyper numbers bug, Lesley.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Matt Morrison wrote:Age old Hyper numbers bug, Lesley.
Cheers for that Matt. I'm putting the performance down to an Old Age hyper numbers bug :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Age old Hyper numbers bug, Lesley.
Cheers for that Matt. I'm putting the performance down to an Old Age hyper numbers bug :lol:
Excellent :D
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

If Tourney Owl is so that you can play a tournament game separately from your opponent, then pencils from Tourney Owl games shouldn't be announced in chat.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Adam Gillard wrote:If Tourney Owl is so that you can play a tournament game separately from your opponent, then pencils from Tourney Owl games shouldn't be announced in chat.
So that's what Tourney Owl is... didn't know exactly how it worked.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:If Tourney Owl is so that you can play a tournament game separately from your opponent, then pencils from Tourney Owl games shouldn't be announced in chat.
I didn't even know slightly how she worked! Played her today - ended quite a few rounds early without trying but luckily still did pretty good.
So this is who you play if you haven't bumped into your opponent x days after your game was announced?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

2, according to FA Cup-ness
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:
I didn't even know slightly how she worked! Played her today - ended quite a few rounds early without trying but luckily still did pretty good.
So this is who you play if you haven't bumped into your opponent x days after your game was announced?
Looks like it.

Also, well done to Joseph on beating Chris, but should the system not knit the two games together like an ordinary 15 rounder, rather than effectively applying flat scoring, and allowing both players to get points for the conundrum? Had this match happened head-to-head, Chris would have won 95-73.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Also, well done to Joseph on beating Chris, but should the system not knit the two games together like an ordinary 15 rounder, rather than effectively applying flat scoring, and allowing both players to get points for the conundrum? Had this match happened head-to-head, Chris would have won 95-73.
Maybe we'll just have to agree to accept the head-to-head score, rather than the overall result. Not perfect, but much better than games going unplayed and tournaments dragging on until people lose interest.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:There's something weird going on with the emboldening. I'd understood scores were emboldened if they were the correct max, but not if they were an incorrect declaration or below the max. In my Duel game today (it might be Hyper in general, I don't tend to play it very often) several incorrect declarations were bold but some correct maxes weren't. Screen dump available that for obvious reasons I'm not going to upload now, and the obvious reason isn't that I played like a fool. I'll do it tomorrow for clarity :)
Some of the incorrect maxes were when the numbers weren't possiblr (R5, 6, 9, 11)
This does involve me coughing to this completely shit game, so bear with me :oops:

You'll notice that r4 is a correct max, but not bold, but that r5/6/9/11 (as Thomas points out) are when they shouldn't be, since they're incorrect declarations. Anyhoo, HTH :)
That's basically the correct behaviour. R4 you were 6 away from the "max", even though the "max" is not really the max because... yeah. And for 5/6/9/11, you got the maximum available score, so that's bold.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:That's basically the correct behaviour. R4 you were 6 away from the "max", even though the "max" is not really the max because... yeah. And for 5/6/9/11, you got the maximum available score, so that's bold.
I still think it could display slightly different behaviour in some situations. I think in maxes only rounds, it should let you attempt your solution if you're at least as close as the Apterous max (in normal numbers as well). At a slight tangent, as it stands in normal numbers, it arguably gives you some sort of undeserved advantage as you know if your declaration is possible when you're trying to blag.

Also maybe it could count any game as a max game if you at least equal Apterous's max in every round. As it stands, the "perfect" games on the hyper-style numbers formats aren't a very good list.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: as it stands in normal numbers, it arguably gives you some sort of undeserved advantage as you know if your declaration is possible when you're trying to blag.
I don't think that's true. You ought to act as if it's possible anyway, since if it's impossible you'll be scoring 0 either way.

Agree with the rest, it's just that changing the way that works would be really quite hard.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Graeme Cole wrote:Also, well done to Joseph on beating Chris, but should the system not knit the two games together like an ordinary 15 rounder, rather than effectively applying flat scoring, and allowing both players to get points for the conundrum? Had this match happened head-to-head, Chris would have won 95-73.
This is more of a feature request than a bug report, and it would be a real hassle to do it that way, not to mention some potentially weird consequences. At least with Duel-style scoring everyone knows what to expect.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Also, well done to Joseph on beating Chris, but should the system not knit the two games together like an ordinary 15 rounder, rather than effectively applying flat scoring, and allowing both players to get points for the conundrum? Had this match happened head-to-head, Chris would have won 95-73.
This is more of a feature request than a bug report, and it would be a real hassle to do it that way, not to mention some potentially weird consequences. At least with Duel-style scoring everyone knows what to expect.
Chris and Joseph played the same game. James Levison and I played different games, which I'm guessing wasn't supposed to happen.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matthew Tassier wrote: Chris and Joseph played the same game. James Levison and I played different games, which I'm guessing wasn't supposed to happen.
This feature wasn't supposed to have rolled out yet, and it's not been properly tested. I suspect that if one of you starts the game, and then the other one also starts the game before the other guy has finished, you'll end up with a mess. Not sure if that's what happened here.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matthew Tassier wrote: Chris and Joseph played the same game. James Levison and I played different games, which I'm guessing wasn't supposed to happen.
This feature wasn't supposed to have rolled out yet, and it's not been properly tested. I suspect that if one of you starts the game, and then the other one also starts the game before the other guy has finished, you'll end up with a mess. Not sure if that's what happened here.
Thanks. I was a bit confused, and ignored the Tourney Owl game the first couple of times I logged in and saw it (would that further complicate things?). James finished about 3 hours before I started I think.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: as it stands in normal numbers, it arguably gives you some sort of undeserved advantage as you know if your declaration is possible when you're trying to blag.
I don't think that's true. You ought to act as if it's possible anyway, since if it's impossible you'll be scoring 0 either way.

Agree with the rest, it's just that changing the way that works would be really quite hard.
OK, but since the Apterous max is sometimes not the max (occasionally even in normal numbers), I think it would be good to let you have a go when you declare better than the max on maxes-only scoring.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I didn't get an almanac for this round: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 0#r6184710. The country in question is Cuba.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Krol wrote:I didn't get an almanac for this round: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 0#r6184710. The country in question is Cuba.
English only, not a bug.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Joseph Krol wrote:I didn't get an almanac for this round: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 0#r6184710. The country in question is Cuba.
I've got an almanac! You haven't! :D
cheers maus
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Thomas Carey wrote:
Almanacs are only given for English variants Rhys. And I've got 18 of them, Thomas. So there!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

:?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:not a bug.
I found two dead wasps when helping to clean the net curtains, plus I've got an extremely mild case of the sniffles. Do either of those count?

Edit: Just noticed that "extremely mild" is somewhat oxymoronic.
Edit within an edit: is "Somewhat oxymoronic" oxymoronic?
Last edited by Adam Gillard on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:
Almanacs are only given for English variants Rhys. And I've got 18 of them, Thomas. So there!
I got a pencilled almanac yesterday! So there!
cheers maus
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

My game against the Tourney Owl got two records for me: (joint) most maxes in a game and highest score in a game. However, the former is reported as such, but my highest 15-round score is still listed as 135.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kai Laddiman wrote:My game against the Tourney Owl got two records for me: (joint) most maxes in a game and highest score in a game. However, the former is reported as such, but my highest 15-round score is still listed as 135.
Just takes a little longer to update, I think , Kai. Says 137 on your stats now.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

The two helpful messages (1 message, 1 nice bright purple notification like the GOTW reminder) reminding me to resubscribe have now changed to only one helpful message since I resubscribed. The nice bright purple one's gone but the more muted line is still there. Unless you wanted me to come on here and confirm I am still enjoying the site (I am), but that's frankly just like-whoring :P
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:My game against the Tourney Owl got two records for me: (joint) most maxes in a game and highest score in a game. However, the former is reported as such, but my highest 15-round score is still listed as 135.
Just takes a little longer to update, I think , Kai. Says 137 on your stats now.
Ah, right, thanks. I've just heard that the max of Jamie's game was 118, which makes me feel slightly guilty, but it was NEARLY A MAX GAME aargh head explode.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:The two helpful messages (1 message, 1 nice bright purple notification like the GOTW reminder) reminding me to resubscribe have now changed to only one helpful message since I resubscribed. The nice bright purple one's gone but the more muted line is still there. Unless you wanted me to come on here and confirm I am still enjoying the site (I am), but that's frankly just like-whoring :P
Oops, the small reminder is old and I forgot to disable it when I added the new one. I wonder how long it's been like that for? Probably a good six months.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Should ECTOPLASM be removed as a conundrum (because of COMPLEATS)?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Sometimes when you're typing in the answer, the Guardian buzzes while you're typing and gets it.
Gott an image of this but don't knopw how to put it o here.
cheers maus
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:Oops, the small reminder is old and I forgot to disable it when I added the new one. I wonder how long it's been like that for? Probably a good six months.
All gone thanks :D Dunno, 5 days of e-nagging was all I could take :lol:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Thomas Carey wrote:Sometimes when you're typing in the answer, the Guardian buzzes while you're typing and gets it.
Gott an image of this but don't knopw how to put it o here.
Not a bug.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Should ECTOPLASM be removed as a conundrum (because of COMPLEATS)?
Fixed, ty.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Should ECTOPLASM be removed as a conundrum (because of COMPLEATS)?
Fixed, ty.
Surely COMPLEATS isn't a valid conundrum though as its a plural so there wouldn't be or at least shouldn't be any confusion of what the right answer would be.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Copy & paste function in chat seems to have stopped working. I don't know if this has been done on purpose (possibly for an anti-cheat mechanism for chat points?) but it used to be quite useful for putting up links n' stuff, and confusing Ryan, not necessarily at the same time. If it wasn't done on purpose thought you'd like to know :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Fixed, ty.
Surely COMPLEATS isn't a valid conundrum though as its a plural so there wouldn't be or at least shouldn't be any confusion of what the right answer would be.
I think general thinking is that this is a rule for the setter rather than the solver (although Damian may disagree with a shambolic outcome), and I think this is the general rule on Apterous so it would go compleatly against the grain.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Lesley Hines wrote:Copy & paste function in chat seems to have stopped working. I don't know if this has been done on purpose (possibly for an anti-cheat mechanism for chat points?) but it used to be quite useful for putting up links n' stuff, and confusing Ryan, not necessarily at the same time. If it wasn't done on purpose thought you'd like to know :)
Yeah, it won't let me copy and paste either.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mark James wrote:Surely COMPLEATS isn't a valid conundrum though as its a plural so there wouldn't be or at least shouldn't be any confusion of what the right answer would be.
I think general thinking is that this is a rule for the setter rather than the solver (although Damian may disagree with a shambolic outcome), and I think this is the general rule on Apterous so it would go compleatly against the grain.
Moot point anyway - COMPLEATS is the conjugated verb form, not a plural.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:Copy & paste function in chat seems to have stopped working. I don't know if this has been done on purpose (possibly for an anti-cheat mechanism for chat points?) but it used to be quite useful for putting up links n' stuff, and confusing Ryan, not necessarily at the same time. If it wasn't done on purpose thought you'd like to know :)
This is a Java sandbox thing, nothing to do with me. It seems to come and go with different versions.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:This is a Java sandbox thing, nothing to do with me. It seems to come and go with different versions.
Ah, 'k. Cheers :)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

PROPELLORS should be allowed, but isn't.

(While I'm here, I might as well mention that the same goes for OPTICALS. Also PAGANI[Z|S]E (and inflections) and WINCHER are allowed but shouldn't be.)
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

I just get a blank screen now since Lockdown Jnr was added. I can see a line in this console dump about Lockdown Jnr not existing, that might explain the blankness. Whatever I do is recorded in the chat logs, so the interface buttons are working, just I don't get anything on my screen. See screenshot and console dump below.

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24
Using JRE version 1.5.0_28-b04-382-9M3326 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM

2011-04-22 01:18:13 1303431493996273000 SRC: Opening socket...
2011-04-22 01:18:13 1303431493996796000 SRC: Opening socket ostream...
2011-04-22 01:18:13 1303431493997035000 SRC: Opening socket istream...
2011-04-22 01:18:13 1303431493997175000 SRC: Opening object ostream...
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494006155000 SRC: Opening object istream...
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494052136000 SRC: Done opening streams.
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494063714000 Thread-11 << net.MessageToServer$IdentifySelf@10e5f0d2
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494291336000 ClientReceiveThread >> net.MessageToClient$LoggedIn@1490d4f2
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494291567000 RX net.MessageToClient$LoggedIn@1490d4f2
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494305526000 XX net.MessageToClient$LoggedIn@1490d4f2
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494305929000 Logged in as Adam Gillard[#10954]
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494306324000 Prefs: null
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494579794000 ClientReceiveThread >> net.MessageToClient$ChallengesSet@3c56b64c
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494580573000 RX net.MessageToClient$ChallengesSet@3c56b64c
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494580779000 XX net.MessageToClient$ChallengesSet@3c56b64c
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494585838000 ClientReceiveThread >> net.MessageToClient$ChallengesSet@63e68a2b
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494587325000 RX net.MessageToClient$ChallengesSet@63e68a2b
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494587529000 XX net.MessageToClient$ChallengesSet@63e68a2b
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494589624000 ClientReceiveThread >> net.MessageToClient$ChallengesSet@7a0938f0
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494589785000 RX net.MessageToClient$ChallengesSet@7a0938f0
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494589977000 XX net.MessageToClient$ChallengesSet@7a0938f0
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494593252000 !!EXCEPTION!! {ClientReceiveThread}
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494599893000 enum constant LOCKDOWN_JNR does not exist in class apterous.game.Variant
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494600109000 java.io.InvalidObjectException: enum constant LOCKDOWN_JNR does not exist in class apterous.game.Variant
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494623346000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readEnum(ObjectInputStream.java:1670)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494624796000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1301)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494625691000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(ObjectInputStream.java:1909)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494626072000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1833)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494626208000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1718)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494626343000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1304)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494626544000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(ObjectInputStream.java:1909)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494626699000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1833)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494626839000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1718)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494626984000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1304)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494627124000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readArray(ObjectInputStream.java:1633)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494627254000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1298)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494627385000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(ObjectInputStream.java:1909)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494627522000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1833)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494627663000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1718)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494627800000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1304)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494627937000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(ObjectInputStream.java:1909)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494628085000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1833)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494628226000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1718)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494628359000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1304)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494628489000 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:347)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494628664000 at net.DirectNetworkLayer.readObject(DirectNetworkLayer.java:91)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494628797000 at net.client.CXInfoClient$ReceiveThread.run(CXInfoClient.java:148)
2011-04-22 01:18:14 1303431494995370000 Thread-11 << net.MessageToServer$RequestGamesInProgress@2afbb5f5
2011-04-22 01:18:15 1303431495372126000 AsyncDespatcher << net.MessageToServer$ClassicGameSearch@6c1961f4
2011-04-22 01:18:15 1303431495486388000 AsyncDespatcher << net.MessageToServer$RequestPlayerHTML@68dd6317
2011-04-22 01:18:16 1303431496370992000 AsyncDespatcher << net.MessageToServer$SubscribeEvent@7170c7a3

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:I just get a blank screen now since Lockdown Jnr was added. I can see a line in this console dump about Lockdown Jnr not existing, that might explain the blankness. Whatever I do is recorded in the chat logs, so the interface buttons are working, just I don't get anything on my screen. See screenshot and console dump below.
Fixed.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:Panic!
Fixed.
Thank you! :)

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:This is a Java sandbox thing, nothing to do with me. It seems to come and go with different versions.
Ah, 'k. Cheers :)
FAO Lesley in more simple language:

Sometimes my Dad leaves his logon open and I play on his. He has an earlier version of Java and I can copy and paste on his, however on mine I can't.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

On Apterous, when there's a teaser and I get it then after me, someone else gets it, it doesn't say that that person got it except when it says " 'a number' people got it. 'A player' was the first at 'some seconds'. The answer was 'a word'. " but even then, it only ever tells you how many people got it - not who (apart from the person who got it first).
I know this is not a brilliant explanation so just tell me if you have no idea what I mean - I'll try to explain it in more detail.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Soph K wrote:On Apterous, when there's a teaser and I get it then after me, someone else gets it, it doesn't say that that person got it except when it says " 'a number' people got it. 'A player' was the first at 'some seconds'. The answer was 'a word'. " but even then, it only ever tells you how many people got it - not who (apart from the person who got it first).
I know this is not a brilliant explanation so just tell me if you have no idea what I mean - I'll try to explain it in more detail.
This is probably more of a feature request, but I'd agree actually. When I get a teaser I'd like to know who has got it after me.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Soph K wrote:On Apterous, when there's a teaser and I get it then after me, someone else gets it, it doesn't say that that person got it except when it says " 'a number' people got it. 'A player' was the first at 'some seconds'. The answer was 'a word'. " but even then, it only ever tells you how many people got it - not who (apart from the person who got it first).
This is probably more of a feature request, but I'd agree actually. When I get a teaser I'd like to know who has got it after me.
Yeah... Not sure if it's a bug or if it's meant to be like this.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sometimes it does tell you who also got it but I think they have to get it within the first 30 seconds or something.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Mark James wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sometimes it does tell you who also got it but I think they have to get it within the first 30 seconds or something.
Does it? It never tells me who gets it after me..
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

My theory: if you get it at almost the same time as someone else and they're having lag, they might have gotten it before you did (and a message will therefore display), but it will appear under yours because of the lag.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I think it's about time the rules for unlimited were changed, or at least remove the "aegilops" rules from the rules page on unlimited. Yet again for a duel I've clicked on rules, realise I have to find a 9 letter word then fail to find it. Then the answer tells me it was just a 7 and I've lost ten easy points. I then notice it says "aegilops" for the rules. Frustrating.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I think it's about time the rules for unlimited were changed, or at least remove the "aegilops" rules from the rules page on unlimited. Yet again for a duel I've clicked on rules, realise I have to find a 9 letter word then fail to find it. Then the answer tells me it was just a 7 and I've lost ten easy points. I then notice it says "aegilops" for the rules. Frustrating.
It's cute that one of apterous' longest users does not know the rules to all the variants off pat. Saying that, I've been on it long enough but still confuse all the variants together in one big messy lump.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I think it's about time the rules for unlimited were changed, or at least remove the "aegilops" rules from the rules page on unlimited. Yet again for a duel I've clicked on rules, realise I have to find a 9 letter word then fail to find it. Then the answer tells me it was just a 7 and I've lost ten easy points. I then notice it says "aegilops" for the rules. Frustrating.
It's cute that one of apterous' longest users does not know the rules to all the variants off pat. Saying that, I've been on it long enough but still confuse all the variants together in one big messy lump.
I love the weird variants, and I made exactly the same mistake.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm not really sure what this is about but, since a few people have now reported a similar thing, I assume it must be more than user error. For me, when I look on the rules tab for Unlimited, I see the rules for Unlimited. If anyone recreates this problem or anything else where it shows you the wrong rules, please send me your console contents (instructions) right away and I'll see if I can get to the bottom of it.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

When I was playing the duel today my connection was lost a couple of times. However, when I reconnected, it said that I had blanked the rounds even though I had not seen the full selection, instead of just resetting to the start of the roud like normal. This may be a duel only thing, I don't know, but I feel a bit hard done by (especially as it will determine my seeding in the Tiny Tots Tourney and lost me a useful 13 points).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Joseph Krol wrote:When I was playing the duel today my connection was lost a couple of times. However, when I reconnected, it said that I had blanked the rounds even though I had not seen the full selection, instead of just resetting to the start of the roud like normal. This may be a duel only thing, I don't know, but I feel a bit hard done by (especially as it will determine my seeding in the Tiny Tots Tourney and lost me a useful 13 points).
This happened to me too today but I was already doing shit on the duel so it didn't bother me too much.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Krol wrote:When I was playing the duel today my connection was lost a couple of times. However, when I reconnected, it said that I had blanked the rounds even though I had not seen the full selection, instead of just resetting to the start of the roud like normal. This may be a duel only thing, I don't know, but I feel a bit hard done by (especially as it will determine my seeding in the Tiny Tots Tourney and lost me a useful 13 points).
That's by design, sorry. It sucks but the alternative is letting people quit out and retry the same rounds, which ruins the Duel.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
That's by design, sorry. It sucks but the alternative is letting people quit out and retry the same rounds, which ruins the Duel.
Also along the similar lines. On a conundrum in a standard 15, if you don't solve it you can logout and then log back in and the conundrum will be reset so you get a different one. So if you are on 14/14 maxes against Prune you can just keep refreshing until you get a conundrum you want. I'm pretty sure this is the case anyway and will try it out now.

Edit: So yeah on a conundrum you can either refresh to get a conundrum you want and even once you've typed in an invalid guess you can still refresh it. How come this round doesn't get blanked like in duels?