Bug reports

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Re: Bug reports

Post by Karen Pearson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:Talking of upgrades, I occasionally get a little box pop up and tell me that there is a Java update available. Am I supposed to implement these?
(I can feel the shoulders slumping and the heads shaking already! :) )
Yep, definitely. These are usually security updates which means you should install them ASAP. But the critical thing is to keep the browser up-to-date, especially if you like looking at naked ladies on the Internet.
LOL. Not as a rule. But I was writing a quiz once and wanted to double check the author of Black Beauty. That threw up some quite different intrepretations from mine!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think people are often fearful of upgrading to the latest version when the older version works fine for them, because changes are often worse.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I think people are often fearful of upgrading to the latest version when the older version works fine for them, because changes are often worse.
Yep, I can understand that. But ultimately broken features or whatever are less bad than security vulnerabilities.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:especially if you like looking at naked ladies on the Internet.
What the hell? Got any links?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I was thinking there should be some kind of differentiation between the aptochat messages for people signing in and people signing out, I was thinking a slightly lighter, less obvious, background colour when they are signing out. And then I realised it's easy - just remove the link from their name on the sign out messages. Of course, you can't view player's user profile tabs when they sign out anyway, so this is a bug rather than a straight up feature request. Though you could very slightly change the background colour too, I dunno.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:I was thinking there should be some kind of differentiation between the aptochat messages for people signing in and people signing out, I was thinking a slightly lighter, less obvious, background colour when they are signing out. And then I realised it's easy - just remove the link from their name on the sign out messages. Of course, you can't view player's user profile tabs when they sign out anyway, so this is a bug rather than a straight up feature request. Though you could very slightly change the background colour too, I dunno.
Does Marcellus look like a bug? Then why you treat him like bug!
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

From my profile page, when I click the 'overall rating' link (http://www.apterous.org/allplayers.php#p3341), it goes to a http 404 not found error.
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

Edwin Mead wrote:From my profile page, when I click the 'overall rating' link (http://www.apterous.org/allplayers.php#p3341), it goes to a http 404 not found error.
I've just seen the comments about this in the Feedback thread, which makes my post redundant.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:In Greek, typing letters into the Note box displays the letters but does not recognise them as letters. The only way of inputting words is by clicking on the letters. Is this deliberate?
I'm not sure but it sounds like you're typing Latin characters which happen to look like Greek ones
I've just realised why I brought this up. Other characters, such as /"£, don't appear in the typing-in box but A-Z do. It can throw you off a bit if the letter appears in the typing-in box but not the Notes box.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Likes are broken?

When will they get unbroke?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Life is so unfair! I can't LIKE malt loaf even if I wanted to!

I think I might take c4countdown to the court of human rights because I can't exercise my democratic right to like or dislike something.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Just spotted that the high scores for tie-break games are slightly broken, in that it's possible to set up a custom game in a TB format and have it counted, a la the current high score!

http://www.apterous.org/viewformat.php?format=45
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:Just spotted that the high scores for tie-break games are slightly broken, in that it's possible to set up a custom game in a TB format and have it counted, a la the current high score!

http://www.apterous.org/viewformat.php?format=45
Yeah, I've thought about this for a long time and never really bothered to do anything about it. Maybe one day.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

On this page it says 93 ODE 2-letter words have been pencilled. However, on this page it states that there are only 90 2-letter words in the ODE. Have some been pencilled in in error and subsequently removed?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:On this page it says 93 ODE 2-letter words have been pencilled. However, on this page it states that there are only 90 2-letter words in the ODE. Have some been pencilled in in error and subsequently removed?
Either that or three words got double-pencilled.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:On this page it says 93 ODE 2-letter words have been pencilled. However, on this page it states that there are only 90 2-letter words in the ODE. Have some been pencilled in in error and subsequently removed?
DP on apterous? You suck fuck.
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

Today's duel keeps saying that everyone who plays it is ranked "#1 out of 0"; won't let me view my own game (saying that you have to have played the duel to view it…which I have); and when I logged out and came back in, it gave me the challenge for it again.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Today's Duel format is Unlimited Junior, but it's given me the Aegilops rules. Jus' sayin' :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ah, not thought about that- raises a few interesting questions/feature requests though. 'Number of words per length per dictionary that haven't been pencilled' is the one that immediately springs to mind.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Hi. User search doesn't seem to be working properly on Apterous. Not a major issue but I thought I'd mention it.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I think Portuguese conundrums might be broke. Fairly irrelevant to me as I've not solved a single one so far but I won't be able to finish the game without doing it.

Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Karen Pearson wrote:I think Portuguese conundrums might be broke. Fairly irrelevant to me as I've not solved a single one so far but I won't be able to finish the game without doing it.

What are you doing using Internet Explorer?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Shame about likes being down Kirk. You know how to touch me.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Recently conundrums duels have died on me after the first round and only the first round, when I logged into today and saw todays duel the same happened, anywho, here's what the error tracker was showing

ClientGame1222 [CXPLAY]: util.Channelplexer$SpinException: Span 9 times waiting for conundrum, aborting.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I just got warnings about the applet's digital signature, which hasn't happened before. Is this unexpected?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:I just got warnings about the applet's digital signature, which hasn't happened before. Is this unexpected?
I installed the latest Java update this morning, 6u22, and am getting no such warnings (on Windows 7 x64 / Firefox). Shrug.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I just got warnings about the applet's digital signature, which hasn't happened before. Is this unexpected?
I installed the latest Java update this morning, 6u22, and am getting no such warnings (on Windows 7 x64 / Firefox). Shrug.
Updating now...

...telling the Yahoo toolbar to fuck off...

...vague surprise at removal of manual update option from Java console...

...and there are still warning messages. Apparently a digital signature has expired.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The applet isn't signed so... I have no idea.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:The applet isn't signed so... I have no idea.
Weird, I'll try to glean more info.
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

I'm having real trouble with the chat - sometimes I just can't get a cursor to appear in it (and typing doesn't yield a result). I'm running on a Mac - is that likely to make a difference?
__
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

James Hall wrote:I'm having real trouble with the chat - sometimes I just can't get a cursor to appear in it (and typing doesn't yield a result). I'm running on a Mac - is that likely to make a difference?
I'm using Linux, but I get the same thing when there's another Java window open, e.g. the game window. I find if I minimise all other apterous windows I can get the cursor to appear, but you might have to minimise and unminimise the chat window as well. I've assumed this is a Java thing rather than specifically an apterous thing.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Got awarded no items in this game, which considering I got the conundrum and over one hundred points I should have got at least two items
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

James Doohan wrote:Got awarded no items in this game, which considering I got the conundrum and over one hundred points I should have got at least two items
Hmmm, seems to be a one off just.......... :? :?:
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Just noticed apterous.org/allplayers.php is missing.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote:Just noticed apterous.org/allplayers.php is missing.
Olded.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Not really a bug, just an aesthetic issue (but I know how important these are to Matt what with his font-fetishism and all that):

In Lexplorer, when you Lexplore a word and the initial results appear, they're all in sexy Calibri, like so:

But then if you expand a section, e.g. to find out who owns the pencil, it all turns into Times New Roman, thus:

Luckily I was able to look away in time so my eyes weren't harmed too much, but the incident left me quite shaken.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yup, it's on Charlie's list Jim! Thanks for the screenshots though, always nice to give everyone a comparison between The Real Apterous and the fake one. ;)
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Getting messages that look a lot like:

Could not establish database connection...
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /media/logdisk/www/epoch.php:1) in /media/logdisk/www/connect.inc.php on line 62

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /media/logdisk/www/epoch.php:1) in /media/logdisk/www/connect.inc.php on line 63

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /media/logdisk/www/epoch.php:1) in /media/logdisk/www/connect.inc.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /media/logdisk/www/epoch.php:1) in /media/logdisk/www/connect.inc.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /media/logdisk/www/epoch.php:1) in /media/logdisk/www/connect.inc.php on line 282

and log-in never happens.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

It's doing this again! And, yes, I am on IE8 (and yes, Kirk, I'm sure I should be using something else!). It's been doing it since about Thursday/Friday-ish.

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Not really a bug as such, but Richard Brittain is on there and it's blatantly obvious that he's playing himself.

Chat:

Dan Abrey: massive influx of new people this afternoon, what's going on?
Dan Abrey: breening
Rhys Benjamin: Richard Brittain
Adam Gillard: Mrs Hurst had another child perhaps
Jon Wells: beginne
Jon Wells: lol damn
James Lucas: some guy on countdown mentioned online play
James Lucas: hence i'm here
Adam Gillard: was it Rakhz Hurst?
Sandy Lucas entered the room!
James Lucas: hi mum
Adam Gillard: aww
Sandy Lucas is playing James Lucas in a 15 Rounder. [Spectate]
James Nguyen: haha
Rhys Benjamin: Hmmm. That doesn't explain Gandalf Greybeard and Wizard Munch-Ahoy.
Chris Blewitt beat Rebecca Jeffcock 56-42 in a 15 Rounder. Chris posted a new personal best!
James Nguyen: why the hell do you care?
James Nguyen: Chris nice
Chris Blewitt left the room.
Rhys Benjamin: I'm fed up with Richard Brittain because he's got my initials.
Adam Gillard: Gandalf Greybeard is definitely a real name... but Blewitt and Jeffcock - I'm not so sure
James Nguyen beat Ed. Egholm 78-43 in a 15 Rounder.
James Nguyen: haha
Rhys Benjamin: I know Blewitt exists; I've met him!
Ed. Egholm left the room.
Adam Gillard completed his Top Dog game. He lasted 15 rounds!
Rhys Benjamin: No thanks
Jon Wells: im sure jeffcock was on tv recently
Adam Gillard: dualisers?
Rebecca Jeffcock is playing James Nguyen in a 15 Rounder. [Spectate]
Rakhz Hurst left the room.
Dan Abrey left the room.
Dan Abrey entered the room!
Dan Abrey: does anyone know how long it takes for superstats to be enabled generally?
Innis Carson completed his Top Dog game. He lasted 33 rounds!
Rakhz Hurst entered the room!
Adam Gillard: Rakhz, are you related to Josh and Jack Hurst?
Rakhz Hurst: no sorry just inspired by them :)
Tom Rowell beat Apterous Plum 72-71 in a 15 Rounder.
Dan Abrey: Rakhz, click accept if you want to rejoin the game
Dan Abrey and Rakhz Hurst resumed their game. [Spectate]
Adam Gillard: so is Hurst not your real surname?
Dan Abrey: Wow, Hurst fan club
Apterous Prune is playing Tom Rowell in a 15 Rounder. [Spectate]
Adam Gillard completed his Top Dog game. He lasted 5 rounds!
Apterous Prune is playing Matthew Tassier in a Spoilage Numbers Attack. [Spectate]
Adam Gillard: wahey 5 rounds!
Rhys Benjamin: This is....... weird
James Nguyen left the room.
Dan Abrey: Hey, can trial members play foreign variants?
James Nguyen entered the room!
Rakhz Hurst: what happened? :S
Rhys Benjamin: Wizard, or Richard Brittain, i know you're there...
Dan Abrey left the room.
Rebecca Jeffcock and James Nguyen resumed their game. [Spectate]
Phil Collinge beat Robert Pajab 72-60 in a 15 Rounder.
Dan Abrey entered the room!
Rhys Benjamin: Dan, yes (we played hebrew earlier)
Dan Abrey and Rakhz Hurst resumed their game. [Spectate]
Dan Abrey: Yes, that's why I ask, sure I've tried with a trial member before and it's said no
Dan Abrey: Yes, that's why I ask, sure I've tried with a trial member before and it's said no
Adam Gillard: hmm I thought so too
Dan Abrey: unless its just languages that's allowed
Adam Gillard: I thought trial members can only play normal rules 30 second rounds
Chris Blewitt entered the room!
Rhys Benjamin: Yes, that's true, but we can do other languages.
Rob Foster entered the room!
Rhys Benjamin: and attacks
Phil Collinge is playing Chris Blewitt in a 15 Rounder. [Spectate]
Adam Gillard: ok didn't know that

Sort of went off track after that....

A bit later:

Wizard Munch-ahoy is playing Gandalf Greybeard in a 15 Rounder. [Spectate]
Last edited by Rhys Benjamin on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Don't post this shit in Bug reports please.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Does that mean we need a new topic with "Richard Brittain problems"?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Does that mean we need a new topic with "Richard Brittain problems"?
I'm not sure a single topic would be enough...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Does that mean we need a new topic with "Richard Brittain problems"?
I'm not sure a single topic would be enough...
***LIKE***
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

I feel like I've seen this bug pointed out (and despaired about) before, but anyway:

When resuming an adjourned game, I often get the following after the first resumed round:
ClientGame1147 [CXPLAY]: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.ArrayList cannot be cast to [Lapterous.game.RoundSummary;
Thread-34 [Subscribe failure]: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Character cannot be cast to java.util.List
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

It's doing this again with Portuguese conundrums. The last one was suddenly do-able after about 3 or 4 days.

And I'm in with a chance of the high score with this one! (But I wouldn't waste any money down at William Hill!)

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

A player comes up in the player list before this is mentioned in the chat.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:A player comes up in the player list before this is mentioned in the chat.
I think you should not post in this thread any more.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:A player comes up in the player list before this is mentioned in the chat.
Why?

That was one bug report that you might have taken seriously...
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Why?

That was one bug report that you might have taken seriously...
Rhys, things can't all happen at once.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The help for unlimited Junior is actually the help for aegilops.
Jennifer Bett

Post by Jennifer Bett »

Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. Please diagnose connection problems

Please?
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Jennifer Bett wrote:Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. Please diagnose connection problems

Please?
The website is down Jennifer
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Apologies if this is already a known issue, but since I can't find any evidence of it having been reported:

Underneath the "Format" and "Nines" tabs of Users' pages, where there should be data for the last 30 days, there is no data. Instead there is the message:

Query failed in gen mode [], please report as a bug to charlie@apterous.org

Also, the "disallowed words" is on holiday, although since I never normally look at that tab, I don't know how long that's been the case, and I assume it's deliberately on holiday rather than a bug.

[Edit: problem is now fixed. Ta Charlie.]
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Here I was, having already claimed the Portuguese 15 record and then I hit the Portuguese conundrum crashing problem. It didn't do it on the previous game when I needed the conundrum for the record. Why is it doing this to me?? :(

Here's what happens when it crashes too..

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Feature request: error boxes should come up in the language of the game being played.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Michael Wallace wrote:Feature request: error boxes should come up in the language of the game being played.
Surely using the language of the person playing the game would make more sense?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

It says on this game's page that it's been excluded due to a bug but it still appears on the fastest conundrums page?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

James has highlighted 'wecast' is valid on apterous but it's not in the nODE2r. Cheers :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

What normally happens [if you want to skip the life story and get to the java message, just see the bottom line]: When I start Firefox (from it having been quit/restarted) and try to get on to the apterous game, it takes about 5 minutes to do the initial log-in, then I have to play test games with Prune to kick the game into action. I normally play one or two letters rounds to warm it up, then I have to get a conundrum right, wait for the game to disappear because it didn't register it on the scoreboard, then log out or start a new Prune test game, get another conundrum right (the second time it does register), then I have to get a conundrum wrong twice as well (same process) before the game finally functions normally. I don't know why, probably something to do with my useless Mac Java, which still has this problem (which has been going on for ages) in its latest incarnation (I installed an update a couple of days ago). Normally I get around these teething problems by simply logging out and in whenever the game freezes, and then playing normally once the game is functioning properly. As long as I don't quit or restart my internet browser from that point forward, I have no log-in or functionality problems with the game.

What's happening now: It only lets me have one successful log-in from the point where I start my internet browser (from it having been quit/restarted). This means that to get through the necessary warm-up conundrums (which are totally necessary for the game to function normally), I have to use all 3 of my allocated games with the bots (to have 2 failed games that freeze and disappear on my first correct and first incorrect conundrum responses). If I try to log out and back in as I normally do, it now comes up with the message below (on any attempt bar the first one). This is a real hassle. If you need the whole console data, I can do that too.

Login failed: java.lang.NullPointerException