Bug reports

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Re: Bug reports

Post by Lesley Hines »

Tried to check out the new improved Landmarks page; got query failed in gen mode and to report as a bug. Duly done.

For info: was accessing the page via the Landmarks link on my user page.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

RE: Landmarks
The first duel I won (which I won on my own) is shown as my first solo win yet it also shows my first duel win, which I achieved a few months later.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:Tried to check out the new improved Landmarks page; got query failed in gen mode and to report as a bug. Duly done.

Seems to be okay for me, are you still having this problem? It may have been a temporary result of the database getting hammered by all the SWEET NEW FEATURES.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:Tried to check out the new improved Landmarks page; got query failed in gen mode and to report as a bug. Duly done.

Seems to be okay for me, are you still having this problem? It may have been a temporary result of the database getting hammered by all the SWEET NEW FEATURES.
Nope, all good now thanks. I've officially been shit (and got no better) for at least the last 18 months :lol: If it helps I always found SQL more successful than percussive maintenance, but YMMV :)

SWEET NEW FEATURES - yes.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Charlie Reams wrote:Curious. Does the same thing occur in not-Spanish Goat Jnr? Or non-Jnr Spanish Goat?
I've just tried an experiment. It also happens in ODE play, in either Goat Jr or Goat practice.
Seems to be a quirk of practice mode, then, since I can quite happily set up and play custom Goat formats as rated games, without the error appearing.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I think the clock issue in this conundrum may be an old bug, but I thought I'd better report it anyway.

It was one of those occasional moments where the clock appears to glitch and go blank after about 20s, and I happened to click during this period.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I thought the clock would freeze and never go blank!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

On my landmarks it has an entry for the first time I won against someone in the top three on pro ranks. Looking at the ratings I don't think it's right.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark James wrote:On my landmarks it has an entry for the first time I won against someone in the top three on pro ranks. Looking at the ratings I don't think it's right.
Looks okay to me. Due to an oddity of the system, Ned was #1 for a week, which is also the week in which you beat him.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Mark James wrote:On my landmarks it has an entry for the first time I won against someone in the top three on pro ranks. Looking at the ratings I don't think it's right.
Looks okay to me. Due to an oddity of the system, Ned was #1 for a week, which is also the week in which you beat him.
Sound. Matt Bayfield had said something along those lines but when I checked pro ranks from that week he wasn't number one so I thought the system had compensated for the anomaly but it turns out I had just checked the wrong week. Cheers. Doubt I'd beat anyone in the top three any other way. Beating Innis now should have it's own separate landmark entry anyway.
Chris Hare
Rookie

Post by Chris Hare »

Links to Format and Duel Standings pages from the Glory Roll go to "Internal" pages.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

I had a newly invalid word come up as a conundrum against the Grauniad.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Not sure if this is a bug really, but it seems odd that round 2 here is of diamond hardness, when it's been successfully solved 148 times from the 150 it's appeared. Christ, even I got it. In fact, I propose that any condundrum I can solve should instantly be reclassified as talc.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is Pro Ranks broken?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Is Pro Ranks broken?
The Reamster is onto it.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

1) A new bug appeared as of today, whereby chat messages are showing up an inch or two to the right of the person's picture. This is the case in both main aptochat and private chat windows, and the amount of the gap seems to vary randomly. Minor inconvenience.

2) This game was 1000 rounds long, as evidenced by the score. I like to play 1000 round letters attacks instead of fifty 20 round letters attacks, because the time I save by not pressing New Game over and over is time that I can use to pack a lot more into my day. However, this one appears to have spasmed.

I think I've found out why - at the time I played this game, PETASUS (round 25) was unpencilled. By getting it here, I pencilled it. But before I had completed the 1000 rounder, I got it again here, and that second one is the one that counted as the officially ratified pencil. This somehow must have made the 1000 rounder not be chronicled properly.

I don't know what can really be done about this, but I do know that Jen Steadman's 1000 round Hyper Unlimited pencil bonanza is in jeopardy, because she did the same thing with the word DIDGERIDOOS on round 800andsomething.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Same problem as Mark - my pencil-fest only shows the first 830 rounds I played, so four of my pencils have disappeared (PAPPARDELLE, AVADAVATS, UTILITIES and GOOEYNESSES). The pencils have been added to my display case, but the Lexplorer entries for them still say they're unpencilled. Is there any way to retrieve the last 170 rounds and/or edit the Lexplorer entries so they show that I pencilled them?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Same problem as Mark - my pencil-fest only shows the first 830 rounds I played, so four of my pencils have disappeared (PAPPARDELLE, AVADAVATS, UTILITIES and GOOEYNESSES). The pencils have been added to my display case, but the Lexplorer entries for them still say they're unpencilled. Is there any way to retrieve the last 170 rounds and/or edit the Lexplorer entries so they show that I pencilled them?
I'll fix this bug for future reference but I don't want to set a precedent for retrieving pencils which broke for some reason, sorry.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:I don't want to set a precedent for retrieving pencils which broke for some reason, sorry.
FUCK(ABLE)
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I meant to mention this after the last Goatdown duel (someday last week IIRC), that I don't get the chance to choose the last letter in Goatdown when it's a duel.

It happens a lot, but I noticed that others had the same problem, so thought it'd be fixed anyway.

I used to have a problem on normal Goatdown games that I'd get an error message when choosing the last letter, but that I could get back into the game after clicking it. This particular problem appears to be fixed now, but not the duel problem.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's not obvious unless you've seen the discussions before Julie, but this has been cleared up already.

When there is a Goatdown duel and you don't get to pick the last letter, it IS still Goatdown, it's just that the last letter is being picked by the Duellist bot. It's picked in Apterous Prune style, i.e. optimum picking, and the max for that round (or at least one of the maxes) will invariably always (I believe) use the final, computer picked, letter.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: the max for that round (or at least one of the maxes) will invariably always (I believe) use the final, computer picked, letter.
Huh, I'd never thought about this bit of emergent behaviour. Neat!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Working that out has helped me correctly guess at mental maxes a whole load of times. Ok, perhaps once.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Just realised I'm ignoring my own advice against posting casual chat in here. Maybe time this topic got a reboot too.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I used to love that Reboot show when I was a kid. Even though it was shit it was like the first computer-animated TV programme I remember.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Actually, in Goatdown duels, I think the goatletter is picked Rex style (i.e. picked to give the longest possible max word, but if several goatletters give the same max length, a goatletter which gives as few as possible alternatives, preferably a darren, will be picked). Prune's picking is different - he picks to give the greatest number of alternatives.

And incidentally, the final goatletter is NOT always used in the max under Rex picking. Where no goatletter can increase the length of the max beyond what is already in the selection, then Rex (and presumably the Duellist) picks a letter which gives no extra maxes and therefore is not used in the max.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Seriously, to the point that whenever I declare REBOOT on apterous, I still think of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60ixzxa0j4
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Actually, in Goatdown duels, I think the goatletter is picked Rex style (i.e. picked to give the longest possible max word, but if several goatletters give the same max length, a goatletter which gives as few as possible alternatives, preferably a darren, will be picked). Prune's picking is different - he picks to give the greatest number of alternatives.

And incidentally, the final goatletter is NOT always used in the max under Rex picking. Where no goatletter can increase the length of the max beyond what is already in the selection, then Rex (and presumably the Duellist) picks a letter which gives no extra maxes and therefore is not used in the max.
Oh yes, that's right. It must be nice to actually know how apterous works, I imagine.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Julie T wrote:I meant to mention this after the last Goatdown duel (someday last week IIRC), that I don't get the chance to choose the last letter in Goatdown when it's a duel.

It happens a lot, but I noticed that others had the same problem, so thought it'd be fixed anyway.
Matt Morrison wrote:It's not obvious unless you've seen the discussions before Julie, but this has been cleared up already.

When there is a Goatdown duel and you don't get to pick the last letter, it IS still Goatdown, it's just that the last letter is being picked by the Duellist bot. It's picked in Apterous Prune style, i.e. optimum picking, and the max for that round (or at least one of the maxes) will invariably always (I believe) use the final, computer picked, letter.
Thanks, Matt, found the discussions from Nov 2010 (edited since max 3 embedded quotes):
Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:No one seems to have mentioned it despite the number of duel entries, so thought I'd better post (here, presumably it has been mentioned in aptochat) and say Goatdown didn't let you pick the letters for today's duel, everyone did get the same though.
working as intended. I think you've just forgotten that the Duellist is also a player. And a playa, I've heard tell.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Following the tweaks to bot/arithmetician numbers declarations on September 3rd, impossible numbers rounds no longer count as maxed rounds (even if you declare the closest achievable total). Possibly not important for the most part but it does completely scupper my attempts at a 5 small octorock max game.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Now that Top Dog has days with more than one round type, could the "variant" info in the game chat window be updated to reflect that? (e.g. today the rounds are LN but the variant is given as L.)
Dave Mattingly

Post by Dave Mattingly »

Really minor bug here, but I thought I'd mention it.

In Round 13 of this game, I jotted down PASSION, DOPINESS, and PASSIONED. I ended up declaring PASSION, was told that PASSIONED was not acceptable, but DC failed to mention that DOPINESS was an acceptable word when listing the maxes.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Dave Mattingly wrote:Really minor bug here, but I thought I'd mention it.

In Round 13 of this game, I jotted down PASSION, DOPINESS, and PASSIONED. I ended up declaring PASSION, was told that PASSIONED was not acceptable, but DC failed to mention that DOPINESS was an acceptable word when listing the maxes.
Don't think that's a bug. Dictionary corner will only comment on the last word you entered, in this case passioned, if you declare a shorter word than the ones you also have typed. And they don't always mention all possible maxes either. Dopiness is still listed in the others section though.
Dave Mattingly

Post by Dave Mattingly »

Mark James wrote:Don't think that's a bug. Dictionary corner will only comment on the last word you entered, in this case passioned, if you declare a shorter word than the ones you also have typed. And they don't always mention all possible maxes either. Dopiness is still listed in the others section though.
Right, I know DC only comments on the largest word not declared, but I would expect it to show up in the DC guest's list of maxes given that it wasn't the largest word declared.

The only times I haven't seen a max listed are either when DC mentions it after a person notes it but doesn't declare, or when there are a large number of maxes, usually in a Touchdown game - are there others I'm not aware of?

And, yes, it was listed in the others section, so there's only a small amount of confusion. I'm sure an issue like this would rank 101st on a list of 100 bugs. Just wanted to get it on the record.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

In this game, Thomas's connection was not very good at the beginning and he was disconnecting after pretty much every round. What I noticed is that this caused the letters selector to spit out more Qs than humanly possible. A decent number of the rounds that were selected but not counted due to disconnects also had Qs. Looking back, there's 3 Js as well, and those lost rounds had some Js, too.

I think that when a player disconnects (or just when the game is resumed), the letters distribution resets, leading (in this case) to Qs every other round. After about round 7 or 8 Thomas's connection improved and the Qs stopped (but we still got another J).
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Goatblitzes apparently show the wrong way round:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=535571
cheers maus
Chris Hare
Rookie

Post by Chris Hare »

Chris Hare wrote:Links to Format and Duel Standings pages from the Glory Roll go to "Internal" pages.
This now happens with the new links from the Glory Roll to Octolock.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Who pencilled ORRA? I got it first http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 7#r7794107 ,
but then Andy got it http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 1#r7802091 .
and the lexplorer says we both got it but links to Andy's game.
cheers maus
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Not necessarily a bug, and I'm not sure whether similar things have been mentioned before, but I find it very strange that someone can jump to 65th in the weekly Pro Ranks by only playing three games against his mate who is also a trial member.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andy Platt wrote:Not necessarily a bug, and I'm not sure whether similar things have been mentioned before, but I find it very strange that someone can jump to 65th in the weekly Pro Ranks by only playing three games against his mate who is also a trial member.
You're right, it's not exactly a bug but it is an oddity of the Glicko system on which Pro Ranks is based. The problem is that at some point everyone was an unrated player, so it needs to have someway to get started. Generally those players only spike temporarily so it works itself out pretty quickly, but that's not an ideal situation.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Did you mean to put the Octo high score links on this page?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It tells you when someone has completed a Top Dog game, but I don't think it always says when someone has started one.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It tells you when someone has completed a Top Dog game, but I don't think it always says when someone has started one.
It only says when you start one to you only.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

The new "you pick/Duellist picks" note on the duel info is good, but™ it says "you pick" today when actually the Duellist picks.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Spectating in James v Andy:

Andy buzzed on 30.1 seconds in a 30 second round.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Spectating in James v Andy:

Andy buzzed on 30.1 seconds in a 30 second round.
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 0#r7385560
cheers maus
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

The "Others" column in this Spoilage Letters Round looks wrong to me, considering that it only used the first letter of the selection, when there is clearly a shorter word (as offered by me) which uses the first two letters. This is the first time I've seen this happen.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The link to Glicko-2 doesn't work anymore.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

A very minor rules bug in Aegilops numbers:

Rules say standard scoring but it's actually Stepdown scoring. Obviously I was only getting one and two away in some rounds to demonstrate this, and of course the rounds I got completely wrong were just to check if the scoring might be odd there too, it's not because I'm shit at it or anything.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

JimBentley wrote:A very minor rules bug in Aegilops numbers:

Rules say standard scoring but it's actually Stepdown scoring. Obviously I was only getting one and two away in some rounds to demonstrate this, and of course the rounds I got completely wrong were just to check if the scoring might be odd there too, it's not because I'm shit at it or anything.
No that's supposed to happen.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:No that's supposed to happen.
Ah right, that explains everything.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Interesting that you pick 2 large in Aegilops. I might try that myself.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

The usual lockdown numbers bug appears in the octolock numbers attack again. In this game, for example, the bug appears for the max solution in round 11 - http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=551620
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Martin Long wrote:Interesting that you pick 2 large in Aegilops. I might try that myself.
I always pick 2L in Aegilops aswell, becaues going 1L can result in things like that large one being 11, which makes it effectively 6S.
cheers maus
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

How come UNADVERTISED is in and UNADVERTIZED isn't?
cheers maus
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Thomas Carey wrote:How come UNADVERTISED is in and UNADVERTIZED isn't?
If I remember rightly, advertise is a back-formation from advertisement, so there's no advertize etc.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

This thread has been superseded by the new ticket system. I'll migrate old bugs to the ticket system in the next few days.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:This thread has been superseded by the new ticket system. I'll migrate old bugs to the ticket system in the next few days.
Might want to reword that...