The 24 Hour Tournament

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

The 24 Hour Tournament

Post by Jordan F »

EDIT: Date has changed from 4th-5th to 8th-9th

Hi everyone,

I'd like to propose a 24 hour tournament. The logistics would be very simple, single elimination, 15 round standard format, with the catch being that all games must be completed within 24 hours.

Rules (I'll add additions and clarifications as well):
1. The tournament will be played using 15 round standard in a single elimination style bracket, with byes or extra rounds if necessary depending on how many people compete. One game per match. Match-ups will be determined completely at random.
2. The entire tournament must be completed within 24 hours, which will take place from midnight to midnight. Post the results of games on this topic All games uncompleted will count as a double forfeit unless clear evidence can be provided that one player was active and ready for their match and the other was not.
3. The bracket will be posted right before the start of the tournament on the topic, on both bracket form as well as a text equivalent listing who plays who. On the day of, I will attempt to keep this updated as regularly as possible, but when I'm unable to update it (such as when I'm asleep or something similar), you are also responsible for paying attention to the bracket and who has played and defeated whom.
4. The tournament will run from midnight UK time on January 8th to midnight UK time January 9th. Sign up on this topic. Because things happen and plans change, you also can withdraw yourself by posting in the topic.

Kai Laddiman
Ian Volante
Dinos Syfris
Nick Boldock
James Bradley

As said above, the rules are very subject to additions, clarifications and other things of that nature. Bring up things you think I should address. In addition, if there is a major demand for making the tournament a week or two later (I don't think I can ethically make it earlier), I will note that in the rule changes, make an extra post about it, and PM those who have signed up to let them know whether to keep their spots or withdraw.

Ask me questions if you have them, and go on and sign up.
Last edited by Jordan F on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:02 am, edited 7 times in total.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: The 24 Hour Tournament

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Provisionally in.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jordan F wrote:4. The tournament will run from midnight UK time on January 4th to midnight UK time January 5th.
Is this date definitely right, Jordan? That's the first Wednesday of the New Year, which seems a rather odd choice - loads of potential entrants will be back at work by then (me included) and unable to take part.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

JimBentley wrote:
Jordan F wrote:4. The tournament will run from midnight UK time on January 4th to midnight UK time January 5th.
Is this date definitely right, Jordan? That's the first Wednesday of the New Year, which seems a rather odd choice - loads of potential entrants will be back at work by then (me included) and unable to take part.
It's what I had originally wanted when I first posted it. That being said however, I'm fairly flexible with moving the date, and I could easily push the date to that Saturday or Sunday if people will be free on the weekends, or even a week later if there's enough demand.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jordan F wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
It's what I had originally wanted when I first posted it. That being said however, I'm fairly flexible with moving the date, and I could easily push the date to that Saturday or Sunday if people will be free on the weekends, or even a week later if there's enough demand.
Yeah, weekdays are out of the question for me as a worker and then in the evenings I'd be busy with stuff. On a weekend is better as, even though I may go out on a weekend night, I'd be in during the day to play. I think this goes for a lot of people on here.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I'm back to school on the 5th.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Very well. Taking all of that into account, I'll go ahead and change the date of this tournament, with it now taking place on Midnight on January 8th to Midnight January 9th. I'll change the original post as well to account for that change. Kai, if this change affects your availability, let me know.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'll go for it, I might well be around!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Jordan F wrote:Very well. Taking all of that into account, I'll go ahead and change the date of this tournament, with it now taking place on Midnight on January 8th to Midnight January 9th. I'll change the original post as well to account for that change. Kai, if this change affects your availability, let me know.
shoot, I would have preferred the 4th - 5th as I'm uninterrupted then and still on Mes vaconces
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Go on then I'll have a whack. I normally work Saturday nights but will slog through as much as I can in the day.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I'll be a shoo-in.

(IN)
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

Go on then. I'll be the whipping boy.
James Bradley
Rookie

Post by James Bradley »

Count me in please :)
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Giving this a bump, a week and a half or so to go with sign ups.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Sorry to be pecky, but I have now been deterred for that date.

I'm going to Fulham v Peterbrough in the FA Cup.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

And we are at the day. (Apologies for not doing additional bumps, silly old real life and academia issues)

Small tournament of 5 people, but what appears to be a solid field.

The bracket is as follows, using Random.org as a guide.

Preliminary Round:
Game 1: Nick Boldock v. Kai Laddiman

Round of 4:
Game 2: Dinos Syfris v. Ian Volante
Game 3: James Bradley v. Game 1 Winner

Round of 2:
Game 4: Game 2 winner v. Game 3 winner

Good luck to all, you have 24 hours.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

For reference, I'm here now, awaiting Dinos :)

Now signing off for a wee while in case this goes down to minutes...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

And back, no obvious sign of Dinos as yet.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

So what happens if n0-one turns up? I'm putting in my claim for victory now :)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

EPIC FAIL
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:EPIC FAIL
er thats kinda mean ryan
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Soph K wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:EPIC FAIL
er thats kinda mean ryan
Gees I was joking. I would offer to play in this tournament to make it work but I don't think that's an option. I think the trouble is the amount of tournaments that are currently ongoing and January tends to be a very busy month.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Sorry, it looks like every game depended on my appearance and I was at a sleepover.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

This should probably be rescheduled for another day.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Yeah, I'll take the blame for this not working as well as I would have liked it to. Didn't bump it enough and I probably did put it in a bad time. I'd like to think it's a good idea, I just didn't run it very well. Another time, perhaps, but we'll still let this one run in case that there's a rush of people around in the next two hours.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I'll be honest, I never did really understand how this was supposed to work (or at least, how you were supposed to avoid the problem of someone not showing up and thus scuppering the entire thing). One thought I had was to have time brackets for each round of games, so for this one the preliminary could have been 0000-1200 then 1200-1800 for the semis and 1800-2359 for the final. The organiser would have to make themselves available for the entire day to adjudicate on no-shows (or if, say, P1 appears for 0000-0600 and P2 for 0601-1200), but you need some sort of mechanism to fix things if someone simply doesn't show up.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Maybe a tournament like this would work if it was organised as a single league system, all-play-all during the day, with perhaps 2 points for a win, 1 point for a loss, 0 points for an unplayed match. No-shows wouldn't then cause a problem and players would be rewarded for participating fully.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I had 24 hr tourney written on my calendar. Then I heard nothing about it on apterous or anything so didn't bother - I thought it had been suspended. I've now just seen it in the apterous forum, not at the top like most tourneys are (and I must say there's too many tourneys going on at the same time). Anyway I then realised I had to sign up and I wasn't! I'd even posted in this thread ages ago!

Maybe rethink about how you organise such a tourney - the previous 24 hr conundrum bash was really successful.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I had 24 hr tourney written on my calendar.
lol
Kirk Bevins wrote:the previous 24 hr conundrum bash was really successful.
Only 'cos you won.
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

I think it's a great idea and I would have been up for it but when you consider that a lot of the regular players are in up to four different tournaments at this time (Andrew's three tournaments and the Asian Cup) then it was just badly timed.

Hopefully it can be arranged some other time. :)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Edward McCullagh wrote:I think it's a great idea and I would have been up for it but when you consider that a lot of the regular players are in up to four different tournaments at this time (Andrew's three tournaments and the Asian Cup) then it was just badly timed.

Hopefully it can be arranged some other time. :)
Don't forget Spoilers 2010.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Totally forgot about this. Was working all day anyway. Sorry guys.

Jokes I was at a sleepover :P