aptoSOS - Simulation of a Series

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

aptoSOS - Simulation of a Series

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hope Ian doesn't mind but I thought if this is going to take off we need a new thread for the results and organisation.
Have taken a little bit of liberty with naming in order to get 'aptoSOS' rather than the less-cool-sounding 'aptoSOAES'.
Link to the wiki page: http://wiki.apterous.org/Apterous_Simul ... f_a_Series

The order of signed-up participants is below.
Ian himself decided on the first three contestants, and I've got the rest of the list simply from going through the thread in order - I've had to do a little guessing as it's hard to sometimes tell the difference between "This sounds cool", "I'd be up for this" and "yes, include me" messages. Let me know if I've fucked up anywhere. Also, no seeding this way obviously (and fuck me there's a nasty run in the first third!) but no point worrying about seedingnesses or randomnesses until we can prove the format works the first time round.

Omissions include Julie T and Clive Brooker (who both left c4c and apterous). Additionally, there are people I haven't omitted but might need to be like Charlie "stillborn first effort" Reams, Jon "I'll only play if the bots are playing" Corby and a few other names that you don't see much around apterous anymore. Suggest whoever is the champion uses aptomail and c4c PM to try and arrange match - no response in 2 days and the challenger gets struck from the list.
  1. Rhys Benjamin
  2. Ian Volante
  3. Charlie Reams
  4. Niall Seymour
  5. Michael Wallace
  6. Dinos Sfyris
  7. Phil Makepeace
  8. Jon O'Neill
  9. Karen Pearson
  10. Oliver Garner
  11. Kai Laddiman
  12. Innis Carson
  13. Gavin Chipper
  14. Andy Wilson
  15. Kirk Bevins
  16. Tom Rowell
  17. Ryan Taylor
  18. David O'Donnell
  19. Ben Hunter
  20. Howard Somerset
  21. Jon Corby
  22. Jennifer Bett
  23. Jeff Clayton
  24. Ben Wilson
  25. Martin Bishop
  26. Jamie French
  27. Kevin Davis
  28. James Doohan
  29. Martyn Simpson
  30. James Robinson
  31. James Leroux
  32. Liam Tiernan
  33. James Levison
  34. James Hall
  35. Heather Badcock
  36. John Gillies
  37. Lloyd Pettet
  38. Joseph Krol
  39. Eoin Monaghan
  40. Matt Morrison
  41. Ian Dent
  42. Peter Lee
  43. Jonathan Wynn
  44. Lesley Hines
  45. Matt Bayfield
  46. Josh Hurst
  47. James Bradley
  48. Scott Gillies
  49. Dan Abrey
  50. Mark James
Entries for this tournament ceased being accepted a few weeks back.
If you didn't make it into this series, then no worries - if we actually get as far as the end of the series without people losing interest entirely then I'm sure the next series will begin almost immediately, and will be bigger and better and will obviously include YOU. And yes, of course anyone who took part in this series - win or lose - will be immediately eligible for the next series. Not yet sure whether there will be any seeding or whether I'll keep a randomised approach but I think I favour the latter to keep the series finals less predictable.
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: aptoSOS - Simulation of a Series

Post by Michael Wallace »

Suggestion: A usual series has way more entries, maybe do viscounts rather than octochamps?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Suggestion: A usual series has way more entries, maybe do viscounts rather than octochamps?
Probably a good idea. IT'S OFFICIAL. Well, almost official. I'm tempted to suggest five wins instead of six. Plus pentachamp sounds cool.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

You left me out.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Dent wrote:You left me out.
I know! I genuinely didn't know whether you wanted to be in it, or just organise it! Tried to find you on MSN before I posted the list but you weren't on.
I also know that I told you on MSN I'd play, but when I checked the thread I had not posted in it so just stuck myself on at the end. So I've done the same for you.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Suggestion: A usual series has way more entries, maybe do viscounts rather than octochamps?
Probably a good idea. IT'S OFFICIAL. Well, almost official. I'm tempted to suggest five wins instead of six. Plus pentachamp sounds cool.
Series 62 had 102 prelims.
aptoSOS is currently rolling on 42 players, if we say this might go up to 50, then we're looking at about half the number of preliminary games.
Therefore unless Ian overrules me, let's roll with quadchamp - four wins and you're done. Anyone got a problem with that?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

There are lots of people who play on apterous that don't use the forum and that I reckon would want to take part. Maybe stick an advertisement bit on apterous homepage and genuinely just spread the word when on apterous too?
peter lee
Rookie

Post by peter lee »

Would like to take part
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Josh has let me know he's not allowed to play on apterous until the 18th of December. I've given him extenuating circumstances in moving him to the back of the list, but anyone else who drops out I can't really do a "yeah sure I'll stick you on the end" otherwise people will just say they can't play if they're up against some monster or something. In a way the order *is* a bit 'random' because everybody just signed up when they saw the thread originally, there was no thought in the order (and shame on anyone who chooses to sign up now based on who is at the end of the list! - in fact will close entries on Friday or something), so it is what it is.

So Charlie's up next for you Ian.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Wasn't it Charlie's fault it didn't happen last time? And he's up first again!

Also, why can't Josh play?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:Have taken a little bit of liberty with naming in order to get 'aptoSOS' rather than the less-cool-sounding 'aptoSOAES'.
Oh you're so creative! And I mean the kind of creative that a primary school teacher calls the classroom spack when he smears his own faeces around the walls and then says he made her a picture.
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Wasn't it Charlie's fault it didn't happen last time? And he's up first again!

Also, why can't Josh play?
Basically, I get to the point every couple of months where I feel I'm playing too much apterous and it actually starts to change the way my brain operates. It causes me to start cocking up all my uni stuff. I imposed a 3 week ban until the end of term so that I don't absolutely cock up this semester. I imposed this ban way before I knew this thing was going to start, and I suspect that Ian put me to play Rhys first as a joke cos he knew I was unable to play, and therefore effectively be knocked out by him, thus being humiliated.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Series 62 had 102 prelims.
aptoSOS is currently rolling on 42 players, if we say this might go up to 50, then we're looking at about half the number of preliminary games.
Therefore unless Ian overrules me, let's roll with quadchamp - four wins and you're done. Anyone got a problem with that?
I haven't got a problem with it, but surely tetrachamp sounds better?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I'm sorry, but I prefer Octochamp.

Or Aptochamp.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Morrison wrote:So Charlie's up next for you Ian.
Nothing?
Dan Abrey
Rookie

Post by Dan Abrey »

I'd like to play in this, too late?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:So Charlie's up next for you Ian.
Nothing?
I've taken to leaving myself logged in all day, but haven't crossed streams with Ian lately.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Not sure what to do. Not heard from Ian at all despite PMing him. Might have to strike you both off (urgh)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Not sure what to do. Not heard from Ian at all despite PMing him. Might have to strike you both off (urgh)
That makes no sense. I've tried to play him and he hasn't been online. What else can I do?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Not sure what to do. Not heard from Ian at all despite PMing him. Might have to strike you both off (urgh)
That makes no sense. I've tried to play him and he hasn't been online. What else can I do?
Yeah, badly worded. I have no idea if PMs or aptomails have been exchanged and a time attempted to be arranged.
Am loathe to take action as, as you say, I know you've been online hoping to see him, and Ian also isn't usually the type to forget his commitments. Now I've bigged him up he'll have to come good.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I spoke to him a few days ago, he said he was on the case. This will happen.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Can I join?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Latest is that I'm 38-24 up on Charlie, but our paths don't seem to be crossing very often. Next chance will be early evening tomorrow (for me anyway!),
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I'm off on holiday for a month on 30th December. When this started, I was fairly confident that, as I was only 9th on the list, I'd easily get through my single game (probably against Dinos or Jono) before I went. As the first game was 10 days ago and the second has yet to be concluded, I'm starting to get a bit concerned! :(

Come on boys! Surely you can find 20 minutes when you're both available. PLEASE. I don't mind losing my game but I'd hate to have to resign from the competition. :)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

So what is the win limit?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:So what is the win limit?
Four I reckon. Will keep things mixed up.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Karen Pearson wrote:I'm off on holiday for a month on 30th December. When this started, I was fairly confident that, as I was only 9th on the list, I'd easily get through my single game (probably against Dinos or Jono) before I went. As the first game was 10 days ago and the second has yet to be concluded, I'm starting to get a bit concerned! :(

Come on boys! Surely you can find 20 minutes when you're both available. PLEASE. I don't mind losing my game but I'd hate to have to resign from the competition. :)
Yeah it's getting really silly. Ian leads 38-24, if it doesn't get played by tonight I'm just going to call it a win for Ian. UNLESS Charlie makes an effort tonight and Ian doesn't, in which case I'll have to toss a coin or something.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:I'm off on holiday for a month on 30th December. When this started, I was fairly confident that, as I was only 9th on the list, I'd easily get through my single game (probably against Dinos or Jono) before I went. As the first game was 10 days ago and the second has yet to be concluded, I'm starting to get a bit concerned! :(

Yeah it's getting really silly. Ian leads 38-24, if it doesn't get played by tonight I'm just going to call it a win for Ian. UNLESS Charlie makes an effort tonight and Ian doesn't, in which case I'll have to toss a coin or something.
Can you hang on till tomorrow? I'm off to a Human League gig tonight. I could theoretically look in around midnight, but it's not hugely likely.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ian Volante wrote:Can you hang on till tomorrow? I'm off to a Human League gig tonight. I could theoretically look in around midnight, but it's not hugely likely.
The lengths people will go to to get out of apterous games....
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:Can you hang on till tomorrow? I'm off to a Human League gig tonight. I could theoretically look in around midnight, but it's not hugely likely.
Don't... Don't you want me? (to get this fucking thing done, ever?)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Don't... Don't you want me? (to get this fucking thing done, ever?)
I'm only human.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

A game 65 million years in the making... Ian started well and when I declared the US spelling diaresis instead of the safe SARDINES, I really saw this one going down the pan. After a few days' break, play resumed in round 6 with a gimme niner for both players, and then Ian hit a rough patch, losing four letters rounds on the trot to give me a way back in. Needing only the last numbers to seal the game, I made the common mistake of thinking that 9 - 7 = 1 and a crucial conundrum was upon us. I hate duplicate letters so the shuffle of INTROITPA looked frustrating but somehow I unravelled it to nick a game defined by inconsistency. Phew.

Bring on the next contender!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:A game 65 million years in the making... Ian started well and when I declared the US spelling diaresis instead of the safe SARDINES, I really saw this one going down the pan. After a few days' break, play resumed in round 6 with a gimme niner for both players, and then Ian hit a rough patch, losing four letters rounds on the trot to give me a way back in. Needing only the last numbers to seal the game, I made the common mistake of thinking that 9 - 7 = 1 and a crucial conundrum was upon us. I hate duplicate letters so the shuffle of INTROITPA looked frustrating but somehow I unravelled it to nick a game defined by inconsistency. Phew.

Bring on the next contender!
Nicely done - I just couldn't get going tonight, and the conundrum didn't suit me at all either!
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Niall Seymour - not been around much lately.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Dent wrote:Niall Seymour - not been around much lately.
I aptomailed him last night, we'll see what happens.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Any response yet Charlie?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Charlie gets a bye at 4pm. Because I said so.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Nope, nothing.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I've seen him though.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Reams 97 - 86 Raccoon. Bit of luck here since Michael got both numbers picks but neither of them were particularly hard. I bottled CENTAURY and we both missed GAUDIEST as the pressure increased, but eventually I hung on to stay just out of crucial range. WP MW.

Dinos next.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Charlie Reams wrote:Dinos next.
Ominous lolz

Just heading to the gym. Can play after that if you're free? Say about 5.45ish. Or just text me a time, whichever.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Dinos next.
Ominous lolz

Just heading to the gym. Can play after that if you're free? Say about 5.45ish. Or just text me a time, whichever.
Sounds good.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Just heading to the gym.
lol, Apterous player in the gym. Lies.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Dinos 106 - 88 Charlie

From the start this was always going to be a close match. We were equally ace on all the letters and equally palsied on the numbers. Luckily my spot of AVIONICS pushed me 8 points ahead. I didn't risk QUOTHED (which sounds like a mistake in the dictionary) and would've let me avoid a crucial. Luckily I managed to unscramble NETIVLOGY in 2.3 seconds, thus deposing the current champ halfway to quattrochampdom. Cheers for the game, Charlie :)

Next up is Mr Makepeace I believe.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Indeed. I haven't played in a while, I've been far too busy with political shit and exams. 11.15am onwards for anyone who fancies witnessing a humiliation.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Dinos 79 - 71 Phil

With a MINIGOLF pencil for me in round 1 I think I counted my chickens too early as Phil stormed back with REASONER and the first numbers to pull 10 ahead. We both missed the 9 from MOATSHAPE but I salvaged an 8 to put me back within striking distance then I blagged a 6 small to take the lead (sorry Phil!) This game really was nip and tuck all the way. I got within 1 on the last numbers straight away and knew a slight tweak would get me the exact target. My nerves were already shot though and I knew if I clicked the target I would most definitely fuck it up. So it went to a crucial which thankfully for me went unsolved. A great game despite the low Max Factor. Cheers Phil.

Bring it on Jono :twisted:
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Dinos 96 - 81 Jono

Thought it was definitely going to be Jono's day as he kicked off with TERRAPIN but luckily his 8 in the next round turned out to be a dud so I clawed back to within 1. A very evenly matched game ensued with me managing to push ahead with RIFLEMAN and then the lovely PILEWORT gave me a bit of breathing space in round 13. My money would have still been on Jono for a crucial conundrum though and with a 4 large to go anything could happen. I was sure that Jono would get 505 so almost didn't bother going for 1 away. To my amazement Jono matched me on 504 although he almost had it exact. The conundrum TOROPARTS was strictly academical. I buzzed in with the wrong answer and then knew it straight away afterwards as I've made the same mistake before. Great game :)

Karen is last on the list...
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Dinos 119 - 43 Karen

Karen had already resigned herself to the fact she was only going to play one game before the tournament even started, but she has been known to throw a spanner in the works before and I thought she just might do it again... she didn't though. This game was pretty much a walkover with Karen only scoring in 6 rounds and resigning to blow up an inflatable bed in round 9! She made a brief comeback at the end but it wasn't enough to stop me sealing my 4th victory with a grand total of 400 points. Friggin' sweet :)

Next up is battle of the babies Oliver Garner vs Kai Laddiman.
Last edited by Dinos Sfyris on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Leaderboard:

Code: Select all

Player        Wins Points
Dinos Sfyris    4   400
Charlie Reams   2   287
Ian Volante     1   192
(I'm assuming: sort by wins then points, points from losses count, points from tiebreak conundrums don't count.)
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

This is quality.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

How many series will it be before first time losers can re-apply?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon O'Neill wrote:How many series will it be before losers can apply?
Right away by the looks of things.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Apparently the next 2 games HAVE been played but not posted on here.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Apparently the next 2 games HAVE been played but not posted on here.
Where are we up to? Just noticed I'm next to Innis on the list. I did play Innis in a game last night, but it was just a game, rather than anything official (if that's where it had got up to). The premise of the game was for me to get more points against Innis than Richard Brittain did. Which I did, so I won that particular series.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Oliver Garner 80 - 79 Kai Laddiman

Intense game.

After a good start I convinced myself ILIAD^ was not a name, but a Spanish word for a poem. A good numbers solution from Ollie put him 15 ahead. After exchanging maxes I thought "OMG I'M 14 POINTS BEHIND I'M GOING TO WIN!!!" and then he got another max which I was annoyed to miss. Then a facepalm for both of us followed by a semi-sexy numbers solution from me brought it back to 11 points difference. The points were then shared, including a double fault, up until the conundrum, which was a word I'd seen only a couple of days ago. All in all, awesome.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Let's get this gig up to 100 episodes.

Come on, all the other countries do waaaaaay better than us.

(Yeah I stole this joke of Jeff Clayton who used it a month ago)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Let's get this gig up to 100 episodes.

It is as big a flop now as it was then.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Let's get this gig up to 100 episodes.

It is as big a flop now as it was then.

***LIKE***
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Response from Andy yet Innis?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I've made a decision/proposal

EITHER

100 prelims or run out of contestants. ;-)