Hyper Numbers Tourney + Duel

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Hyper Numbers Tourney + Duel

Post by Oliver Garner »

This is my first go of organising a tournament, I hope it doesn't go too badly.

Duel
Subject to confirmation from Charlie, the duel this coming Saturday will be a Hyper Numbers Attack, my suggestion to Charlie. The top sixteen players in the duel will be invited to this tournament. If there is sufficient demand, a tournament for everyone else will be held. I ideally want the top 16 hyper numbers players playing in the tournament so if anyone knows they cannot make the Duel on Saturday but wants to play in the tournament needs to PM me before 10pm this Tuesday 9th November. I will then try to arrange a slot before Saturday where you can do a Hyper Numbers Attack against Apterous Prune with me present so you can't just start multiple games and then finishing only your best one. If your score from this is in the top 16 including the duel, you will be invited. Although this may be biased one way or the other, I still think the top 16 players will come through. If you qualify, post after Saturday here indicating that you want a place. If you don't please PM me ASAP so I can offer the place to someone else.

Tournament
Invitational
There will be four groups of four, in the format with top 2 qualifying for the quarter-final
Group A - 1st 7th 10th 16th (on qualifying score)
Group B - 2nd 8th 9th 15th
Group C - 3rd 5th 12th 14th
Group D - 4th 6th 11th 13th
It is done in this way so it is possible for 1 to play 8 in the next round.

Open (Subject to demand and not those in the invitational)
Will be straight knock-out with a random draw.

Hope you like this idea. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me either here or on Aptochat.

Oliver Garner
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Hyper Numbers Tourney + Duel

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Oh.

Feeling I might just get 16th here!

Oh yeah baby
Last edited by Rhys Benjamin on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Brilliant idea, if it's run as smoothly as you've organised it so far I'd step over my grandma's grave to enter the Duel on Saturday*.

*joke
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Oh yeah baby
Statland seems to think I'm one of the top 4 large players.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Sounds brutal. I might get practising cos it would be pretty cool if I could get into the top 16.

Edit - Also am I right in saying that duel numbers always have the same number from the top in every round? If so, do we get to know in advance how many from the top this duel will be?
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Sounds brutal. I might get practising cos it would be pretty cool if I could get into the top 16.

Edit - Also am I right in saying that duel numbers always have the same number from the top in every round? If so, do we get to know in advance how many from the top this duel will be?
It will be 2 from the top. Anyone not able to do the duel can choose however many from the top they like.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Sounds brutal. I might get practising cos it would be pretty cool if I could get into the top 16.

It will be 2 from the top. Anyone not able to do the duel can choose however many from the top they like.
That seems wrong.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Matt Morrison wrote: That seems wrong.
Be hard to avoid. If Prune starts, he will choose one large so the idea would be dead.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: That seems wrong.
Be hard to avoid. If Prune starts, he will choose one large so the idea would be dead.
And then the player could pick 2 large and Prune would follow for the rest. So even in the worst case scenario you can ensure that 19/20 picks will be the same, possibly 20/20.
It's not ideal considering they'll be different selections, but at least it helps keep some consistency. I'll duel on Saturday (and come below the top 16) so it doesn't matter to me, just saying!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Is it really that important to cater to people who can't play the duel? I mean, you have the entire day to do it, and it confers some advantages (such as if a regular NA crashes you don't blob the round, and (if people are being naughty) you can quit mid-round if it looks difficult).
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Awesome, looking forward to this
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Is it really that important to cater to people who can't play the duel? I mean, you have the entire day to do it, and it confers some advantages (such as if a regular NA crashes you don't blob the round, and (if people are being naughty) you can quit mid-round if it looks difficult).
Yeah, agreed. You know if it's just the people who make sure they show up on Saturday too that you're going to get a bunch who are a bit more dedicated than someone who just forgets to enter the duel.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

i ruined the last tournament by not being arsed enough. if you make me do a duel, i wont be arsed. that is a good thing.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Right - guesses on what score 16th place will get.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Oliver: Nice idea, and I hope it's a success. However, in the unlikely event that I qualify for the Tournament (either by finishing top 16, or by those above me declining their own invitations), please automatically offer my place to someone else.

I think my views on how much I enjoy Numbers rounds are already fairly well documented. ;-)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jon O'Neill wrote:i ruined the last tournament by not being arsed enough. if you make me do a duel, i wont be arsed. that is a good thing.
dont worry. there will be a duel entry for goatblitz twenty eleven.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Matt Morrison wrote: And then the player could pick 2 large and Prune would follow for the rest. So even in the worst case scenario you can ensure that 19/20 picks will be the same, possibly 20/20.
It's not ideal considering they'll be different selections, but at least it helps keep some consistency. I'll duel on Saturday (and come below the top 16) so it doesn't matter to me, just saying!
Cheers for the feedback anyway. Although it isn't statistically the most solvable, most people tend to enjoy 2 large more than any number of large. If someone chooses something other than 2 large (not in the duel) but I would be very surprised if this happened. (Hyper connoisseurs correct me now)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: And then the player could pick 2 large and Prune would follow for the rest. So even in the worst case scenario you can ensure that 19/20 picks will be the same, possibly 20/20.
Cheers for the feedback anyway. Although it isn't statistically the most solvable, most people tend to enjoy 2 large more than any number of large. If someone chooses something other than 2 large (not in the duel) but I would be very surprised if this happened. (Hyper connoisseurs correct me now)
I was having a look at those statistics and I'm not sure how trustworthy they are because it's often possible to beat the "max".
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

30-second round - sneaky!
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

So who made the top 16?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Well I think I got about 30th, but am up for a place if that many drop out.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think I was on for about 15th but I don't know if that was joint with people, but I'd certainly be up for a place.
craig
Rookie

Post by craig »

I'm in if I made it please.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

craig wrote:I'm in if I made it please.
No - you didn't get enough points.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha I completely forgot that duel was for this. I'm in so long as it isn't going to be too much of a rush. Looks good.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Haha I completely forgot that duel was for this. I'm in so long as it isn't going to be too much of a rush. Looks good.
Also, how are ties on the duel going to be decided? Matt and I are tied for 6th, and Oliver and Edward are tied for 11th. Personally I think I should finish higher than Matt because I would have scored 200 if I had scored more points, so clearly I put in the superior performance.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Haha I completely forgot that duel was for this. I'm in so long as it isn't going to be too much of a rush. Looks good.
Also, how are ties on the duel going to be decided? Matt and I are tied for 6th, and Oliver and Edward are tied for 11th. Personally I think I should finish higher than Matt because I would have scored 200 if I had scored more points, so clearly I put in the superior performance.
Look, I was being good and biting my tongue and not commenting on my own game but I was drunk when I did the first ten and was too slow at typing to claim 7 points that I genuinely had, twice. So there, I'm the best. You might as well move me up to 2nd.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Look, I was being good and biting my tongue and not commenting on my own game but I was drunk when I did the first ten and was too slow at typing to claim 7 points that I genuinely had, twice. So there, I'm the best. You might as well move me up to 2nd.
Dude, you don't even know about the Hyper Overtime Maths Onslaught mode you get for being super-good at the duel, so there's no way you're out-placing me. In fact, you may as well declare me the winner of the whole tournament and be done with it.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Right that's it I'm not taking part. You've ruined it for me, so I hope you feel guilty.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

How do you access results for a duel day that's already passed plz?xx
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Right that's it I'm not taking part. You've ruined it for me, so I hope you feel guilty.
Excellent, one fewer rival, now it's time to take down that Craig Tassier bloke.
Dinos Sfyris wrote:How do you access results for a duel day that's already passed plz?xx
Duel results --> Archive --> Screen Two --> Select the game you want.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Michael Wallace wrote:...Screen Two...
Oi bitches I think you mean sweetcorn!!!!

Sweet. If Oli accepts my totally unofficial late entry I'm No#3 :)
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Yay, i'm in the top 16 :D
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Groups
A
Matthew Tassier
Matt Morrison
Ben Wilson
Chris Davies

B
Craig Chittenden
Kai Laddiman
James Doohan
Gevin Chapwell (Gavin Chipper)

C
Kirk Bevins
Stephen Deakin
Edward McCullagh
Gareth Mitchell (don't know whether he's playing; he's not on the forum and I've never seen him say anything on Aptochat)

D
Innis Carson
Michael Wallace
Oliver Garner
Josh Hurst

GET PLAYING GUYS!

1st reserve - Dinos Sfyris (scored 187 on his own but was too late)
2nd reserve - Bob de Caux (17th place)
3rd, 4th etc. reserves are from 18th downwards
Everyone should play at least one game by midnight on Tuesday 23rd November (the Monday night/Tuesday morning. If you haven't played at least one game by then and got in touch with me, you will be kicked out and the reserves will replace them. The higher the reserve, the higher the seed they replace.

Oliver

PS - Those who didn't qualify, does anyone want to have a separate tournament? Post on here and if there is significant demand, I will run one.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'd be happy to take part in a secondary tourney.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace ruined this for me. Let Dinos have my place.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Oliver Garner wrote:1st reserve - Dinos Sfyris (scored 187 on his own but was too late)
Very noble of you sir. Cheers :)
Matt Morrison wrote:Michael Wallace ruined this for me. Let Dinos have my place.
For real? :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Michael Wallace ruined this for me. Let Dinos have my place.
Go frit.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Go frit.
If Matt is quitting because of me then I'm going to quit because of Matt.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Matthew Tassier 179 - 80 Chris Davies

Think I rather surprised Chris by telling him he'd qualified for this, so I took advantage quickly before he really understood what was happening.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Dinos Sfyris wrote: For real? :)
I will wait for the 5 ahead of Matt (Matthew T already has) to play before I automatically make you replace him.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Matthew Tassier wrote:Matthew Tassier 179 - 80 Chris Davies

Think I rather surprised Chris by telling him he'd qualified for this, so I took advantage quickly before he really understood what was happening.
Haha, love it! Really, you're just far better than me at Hyper numbers. Well played :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matthew Tassier wrote:I took advantage quickly before he really understood what was happening.
Do you work with children at all?
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Chris Davies wrote:
Matthew Tassier wrote:Matthew Tassier 179 - 80 Chris Davies

Haha, love it! Really, you're just far better than me at Hyper numbers. Well played :)
Thanks Chris, though the final result was rather flattering.
Charlie Reams wrote:Do you work with children at all?
No, not at all, wrong sort of nutrients for me. Find I work best with beer or wine. Maybe tea if really early.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Craig 190 - 160 Me

wp cc gg ty
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

I'd be up for tourney for the mere humans among us too...
__
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Doohan wrote:Gevin trounced me
Nah, it was close until near the end and after it was clinched you admitted you were distracted by the news so I think the scoreline doesn't adequately reflect things. It certainly doesn't reflect the tension I was feeling!

Edit - To make it easier for compiling results (not bragging) it was 180-137.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Chris Davies 180 - 160 Ben Wilson
The Eye of apterous gave my chances of winning this one as 1%, which equates to about the same odds that Ben gave that I would re-apply for Countdown as a woman.
Going out to buy 8 dresses tomorrow :lol:
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Chris Davies wrote:Chris Davies 180 - 160 Ben Wilson
The Eye of apterous gave my chances of winning this one as 1%, which equates to about the same odds that Ben gave that I would re-apply for Countdown as a woman.
^Like :)

(Seriously though if you adjusted your word power gender-specifically you'd only need, what, 2 or 3 dresses at the most?) ;)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Chris Davies wrote:Chris Davies 180 - 160 Ben Wilson
^Like :)

(Seriously though if you adjusted your word power gender-specifically you'd only need, what, 2 or 3 dresses at the most?) ;)
^DISLIKE

Bitchy!!
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

I was extrmely disappointed by my result in the duel and will be prepared to play in a secondary tourney if there is sufficient demand.

Some extremely tricky groups in the main event!
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Ben Wilson 170 - 197 Matthew Tassier

Quality game with us both on for a max game for the first 11 rounds and 200-190 still a possibility until the last 3 rounds.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Two of my games
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=344472
Innis 131 Oliver 127
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=345835
Josh 127 Oliver 177

TABLES :
GROUP A Wins Losses Points Difference
Matthew Tassier 2 0 126
Chris Davies 1 1 -79
Matt Morrison 0 0 0
Ben Wilson 0 2 -47
GROUP B
Craig Chittenden 2 0 44
Gevin Chapwell 1 1 29
Kai Laddiman 0 1 -30
James Doohan 0 1 -43
GROUP C
No Play As Yet
GROUP D
Innis Carson 2 0 44
Michael Wallace 1 0 54
Oliver Garner 1 1 46
Josh Hurst 0 3 -144

Group C (Kirk, Stephen, Ed and Gareth), you must start by the end of Monday or you all will be kicked out. If this is problematic for you, please contact me ASAP. Matt and Michael, you have already said you are not going to play, but I will give you until the deadline in case you change your mind.

Oliver
Last edited by Oliver Garner on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Oliver Garner wrote:Matt and Michael, you have already said you are not going to play, but I will give you until the deadline in case you change your mind.
Yeah sorry about that, I've been trying to get games but the one time I was online at the same time as some of the other dudes my apterous window was borked so I couldn't challenge anyone. If I haven't got a game done by tonight I'll start actually trying to arrange specific times to play (speaking of which, if you're free at some point Sunday evening (like, after 7pm) let me know and we can play then).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oliver Garner wrote:Matt and Michael, you have already said you are not going to play, but I will give you until the deadline in case you change your mind.
Cheers Oli, but it's done. I think Dinos has already started playing his (my) matches. I was just being nice and thought he'd enjoy it more than me.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I finally got around to playing a game.

Josh Hurst 107 - 161 Michael Wallace

Just before we played I successfully put Josh off a conundrum in a game he was playing, thus completely throwing his mental state. This, coupled with the apto-crash I bribed Charlie to cause after round 6 meant Josh was completely thrown and I could capitalise after a shaky start from both sides. Towards the end, however, Jack clearly worked out what I was up to, threw off the shackles of my mind games and started a comeback, alas it was too late and my evil schemes worked out nicely.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Raccoon Boy? wrote:Jack
lolol
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Raccoon Boy? wrote:Jack
lolol
God dommit. I even thought "oh, I bet I'll accidentally type Jack rather than Josh at some point during this" and actually double-checked afterwards too. I am teh suck. Sorry Jason.