Ascension

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Ascension

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yes/no/don't care?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Ascension

Post by Innis Carson »

Yes
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Yes I care. You hijacked one of the biggest days in the Catholic faith; I am not sure what our version of jihad is called: you're fucked.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

I'm not sure if I'm slightly disappointed or a lot relieved that you don't actually have to get all 9060 conundrums right to get up there. (That said, I'll probably only hit it up on rare occasions.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andrew Feist wrote:I'm not sure if I'm slightly disappointed or a lot relieved that you don't actually have to get all 9060 conundrums right to get up there. (That said, I'll probably only hit it up on rare occasions.)
I thought about that, but then it occurs to me that it's going to get kinda stupid towards the end when it's setting you the same 3 conundrums over and over.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

There's a goth club in Edinburgh called Ascension. Often also known as Ass Tension.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

In other news, I've definitely had REVALUED twice now. And CASSOWARY. And CONNIVING. Anyway, you get the picture.

Great feature though!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Absolutely fucking awesome Charlie.
Love it. New modes always excite the fuck out of me and this one is cool. Also, and you know this shit really pleases a designer like me, always lovely to have some new graphics and new stylings kicking about... what's this, a clip art tent? HELLO!!!
Charlie Reams wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote:I'm not sure if I'm slightly disappointed or a lot relieved that you don't actually have to get all 9060 conundrums right to get up there. (That said, I'll probably only hit it up on rare occasions.)
I thought about that, but then it occurs to me that it's going to get kinda stupid towards the end when it's setting you the same 3 conundrums over and over.
Yeah, interesting. Depends whether it's intending as a curiosity or as a bit of a learning tool too. I guess you could do a "once you reach the top of Mt. Conundrum you then face Mt. Somethingelse" kind of thing which then only features conundrums you've never solved.

Other comments:
  • I think a lot of people (including me) use the spacebar for navigation purposes when it comes to starting new rounds and closing games and stuff. After my first climb I found that I accidentally opened up the next climb straight away. No major issue, but by the look of aptochat (Soandso reached a camp. and then Soandso is ascending Mt Conundrum. appearing instantly together) it looks like there might be a few accidental re-climbs going on when people would rather camp up for a bit. (Ooh matron!) Obviously no major issue and it'd maybe be just as annoying in the other direction to auto-close the Ascension window if people tend to do several climbs at once. Just pointing her out.
  • Sherpa Shilty and Callum Costello resumed their game. [Spectate] - this would probably read better as Callum Costello resumed his ascent up Mt. Conundrum, and would also fit much better with the style of the other Ascension aptochat messages this way. Additionally, the inclusion of "Sherpa Shilty" is a touch confusing in terms of sometimes thinking it's a real player, and even more so it's a link to view a user profile but Sherpa Shilty doesn't have one, so it's just a dead link.
  • Is there a list of the Ascensioneers? No doubt me being dumb but I can't see it at the mo. It seems Sherpa himself is listed as the #1 Ascensioneer when presumably he should be excluded.
Other than that, fucking cool.
Innis will finish it first, I'm talking 1/4 type odds I reckon. Especially as Gillard doesn't seem to have been on much recently since Ryan done a racist all over him.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Matt Morrison wrote:Especially as Gillard doesn't seem to have been on much recently since Ryan done a racist all over him.
Innis would beat me to it anyway, whatever it is. You may have noticed that I am never on between Friday night and Saturday night. Being annoyed at Ryan's anti-Semitic ignorance; never being on apterous during the daytime on Saturday... I think you can put two and two together. I haven't been on today because it won't let me log in, which you also know because you posted a most helpful reply in the bug reports forum.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Things I like about Ascension of Mt Conundrum:
  • The ability to face conundrums of difficulty 10, which I would rarely otherwise face
    Sherpa Shilty. Fantastic!
Mind you, the imaginative ways Charlie will come up with to get more data for his Conundrum difficulties... ;-)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

David O'Donnell wrote:you're fucked
is exactly what the Catholic version of jihad's called. Ask any altar boy.

Lovin' the new variant :D I've even got a coupla diamonds now - cimping :D
Lowering the averages since 2009
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Lesley Hines wrote:

Lovin' the new variant :D I even got a coupla diamonds now - cimping :D
I was an altar boy and never got fucked. I felt so hideously ugly. I think I am psychologically traumatised as a result.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:

Lovin' the new variant :D I even got a coupla diamonds now - cimping :D
I was an altar boy and never got fucked. I felt so hideously ugly. I think I am psychologically traumatised as a result.
I find your anti-catholic ignorance very annoying. You should have noticed that I have an imaginary friend who tells me what to do and I am going to tell on you.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Michael Wallace wrote:I find your anti-catholic ignorance very annoying. You should have noticed that I have an imaginary friend who tells me what to do and I am going to tell on you.
Very good.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

We need a list to see how far up the mountain everyone has got and to see what percentage of conundrums they have solved to that point
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hi I'm Tom Rowell, when a new feature comes out I don't bother to appreciate it or comment on it any way, I just demand more features. Also I'm a racist homophobe.
Ian Volante wrote:In other news, I've definitely had REVALUED twice now. And CASSOWARY. And CONNIVING. Anyway, you get the picture.

Great feature though!
Yes, I've had a few dupes too. Literally no idea how it happens, I've checked the code over and over and it just makes no sense. I would ask anyone else who this happens to, to stop the game and let me know (charlie@apterous.org) which one came up twice, and I'll see if I can solve it.

Agree with most of the other comments, thanks for the feedback.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

David O'Donnell wrote:...I am not sure what our version of jihad is called...
Drumcree?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: what's this, a clip art tent? HELLO!!!
Genuinely no idea why I put that there. When I was laying out the window, I just felt there should be something in that space and somehow it ended up being a clip art tent. I'm open to better suggestions.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Genuinely no idea why I put that there. When I was laying out the window, I just felt there should be something in that space and somehow it ended up being a clip art tent. I'm open to better suggestions.
No man, it's brilliant! I'd secretly hoped that reaching certain stages might see slightly different clip art images (perhaps other mountain-based clip art, or at the very least different colour tents) but I guess your response suggests not. Still, there's an idea for you.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
No man, it's brilliant! I'd secretly hoped that reaching certain stages might see slightly different clip art images (perhaps other mountain-based clip art, or at the very least different colour tents) but I guess your response suggests not. Still, there's an idea for you.
That's exactly what I was considering too. Anyone fancy finding some pictures of tents?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:That's exactly what I was considering too. Anyone fancy finding some pictures of tents?
I was going to find you a couple but I just ended up feeling a bit stressed.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Clip art's back.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Charlie Reams wrote:Hi I'm Tom Rowell, when a new feature comes out I don't bother to appreciate it or comment on it any way, I just demand more features. Also I'm a racist homophobe.
Ian Volante wrote:In other news, I've definitely had REVALUED twice now. And CASSOWARY. And CONNIVING. Anyway, you get the picture.

Great feature though!
Yes, I've had a few dupes too. Literally no idea how it happens, I've checked the code over and over and it just makes no sense. I would ask anyone else who this happens to, to stop the game and let me know (charlie@apterous.org) which one came up twice, and I'll see if I can solve it.

I had DYNAMISED come up in the first and third game.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ben Hunter wrote:Image
Clip art's back.
This thread's getting a bit camp.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

It's making me start with the awning.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Charlie Reams wrote:Hi I'm Tom Rowell, when a new feature comes out I don't bother to appreciate it or comment on it any way, I just demand more features. Also I'm a racist homophobe.

Great feature though!

Sorry Charles. For the record Mt Conundrum is a big pile of steaming black gay jewish shit
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

tomrowell wrote:

Great feature though!

Sorry Charles. For the record Mt Conundrum is a big pile of steaming black gay jewish shit
No Christmas card for you from Gillard this year. Oh wait, he doesn't celebrate Christmas so that's OK.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Christmas time can be blue-ish.
No presents for you, if you're Jewish.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Go on Hutchings. I really hope he wins it.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Oh wait, he doesn't celebrate Christmas so that's OK.
This reminds me of my childhood.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Oh wait, he doesn't celebrate Christmas so that's OK.
This reminds me of my childhood.
I managed to read three paragraphs of that article before finding anything lol-worthy (which is not bad for a religious article), but then this:
Since its inception, the Watch Tower Society has taught that the present world order is in its last days
So that's somewhere around 48,000 last days so far.

Still, Christians have endured 2000 years of waiting already, and that's a religion that people feel far more obliged to take seriously.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Relevant
That's seriously cool. Excellent stuff.
Lowering the averages since 2009