Pencil cloud

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Pencil cloud

Post by Charlie Reams »

Thought I'd try presenting some data in a new way. Will be interested to hear what people make of the pencil cloud.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Re: Pencil cloud

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Virtual fun size Mars Bar for the first person to capture the arch-pencil-evader PEINED!

(Have seen these word clouds before... I think Q Magazine (yuck) brought them to my attention by feeding the entire lyrical output of Oasis into a word cloud. I'll let you know if it helps me to remember the unpencilled words, if I ever nab one of them.)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Virtual fun size Mars Bar for the first person to capture the arch-pencil-evader PEINED!

(Have seen these word clouds before... I think Q Magazine (yuck) brought them to my attention by feeding the entire lyrical output of Oasis into a word cloud. I'll let you know if it helps me to remember the unpencilled words, if I ever nab one of them.)
Is it supposed to aid memory? It is worse for that IMO as there's too much information. I printed out a list of unpencilled words by length earlier this year and it was relatively easy to memorise given that it was in a list. A cloud like that is just too much information packed in too small a space, imo.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Matt Bayfield wrote:Virtual fun size Mars Bar for the first person to capture the arch-pencil-evader PEINED!

Is it supposed to aid memory? It is worse for that IMO as there's too much information. I printed out a list of unpencilled words by length earlier this year and it was relatively easy to memorise given that it was in a list. A cloud like that is just too much information packed in too small a space, imo.
I don't think it's for aiding memory, just a nice visual representation. More please.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Haha I knew I could rely on you to object to anything new, Kirk. Thanks for the feedback all.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

How the hell has nerdish not been pencilled? :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:How the hell has nerdish not been pencilled? :lol:
Quite a few of them are kinda surprising, with words like ABLEIST which a lot of players would know. Suppose it's the usual posthoc probability thing.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Quite a few of them are kinda surprising, with words like ABLEIST which a lot of players would know. Suppose it's the usual posthoc probability thing.
I tried posthock probability once, it didn't work out too well.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Evidently you're not a probability genius.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Peined (pwned).
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Davies may have got to PEINED first, but by learning a few of the words with more obvious anagrams (DEFINES, STAINED, PARTIES, BOARDER, PLEASE, MAIDEN, NASTIES, SEATING, LOCATES, GUARDS, RETAIL), I've nabbed one from the cloud: ARTELI.

So it has worked, kinda!
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Not to mention RODLETS, which has the more obvious anagram OLDSTER.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."