Apterous Summer Open Week 6

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Apterous Summer Open Week 6

Post by Andrew Feist »

News and stuff:

The Open is in the final week of matches, and once again Kirk just has to not lose. Since this is the last week, the unfinished games from last week were simply carried forward to this week (esp. since they tended to involve people with strange scores who would just be in the same position anyway).

The U1000 is "done"! Andy Wilson went undefeated, and cleared the field by two matches, so there will be no final series in this field. (The one missing match from last week can change standings, so if you could finish that I'd appreciate it.)

The U1200 is in crossover week. The basic idea (for all of the RR events really) is that you have to play (at least) half your matches to "count". Since Jeff Clayton and Niall Seymour didn't make it, all those games are removed from the standings as if they never happened. The standings in Pool Left are then:
  1. Chris Philpot (2-1, 4-2 games, 2 Sonneborn-Berger points, 9 Sonneborn-Berger game points, 92 ppg)
  2. Miriam Nussbaum (2-1, 4-2 games, 2 Sonneborn-Berger points, 9 Sonneborn-Berger game points, 86.5 ppg)
  3. John Gillies (2-1, 4-3 games)
  4. Jordan F (0-3)
while the standings in Pool Right are then:
  1. Lee Simmonds (3-1)
  2. Matt Morrison (2-2, 6-5 games, 3 Sonneborn-Berger points)
  3. Peter Lee (2-1, 4-3 games, 2 Sonneborn-Berger points)
  4. Dave Mattingly (2-1, 4-4 games)
  5. Andy Wilson (0-4)
So this week there will be placement games where you play your counterpart in the other pool: Chris Philpot vs. Lee Simmonds for 1/2, Miriam Nussbaum vs. Matt Morrison for 3/4, John Gillies vs. Peter Lee for 5/6, and Jordan F vs. Dave Mattingly for 7/8.

U1400: The original plan was to do a half-week of tiebreakers last week, rather than use paper tiebreakers to decide. Since that didn't really happen last week, I put it up to the players to vote on whether to take an extra week and do the tiebreaker games, or to stay on schedule and do the paper tiebreakers. The votes came in to spend the extra week for tiebreakers, so here this is week 5.5.

The standings in "This Pool" had four players at 5-3, four players at 4-4, and one player at 0-8. The standings in "That Pool" had a clear winner at 5-2, two players at 4-3, and five players at 3-4. The set-up was that the top two players from each pool would advance, so we don't need to break ties past 1/2, 3/4, etc.

In "This Pool" we have a four-way tie for 1st; two will go to the top bracket, two will go to the second bracket. We also have a four-way tie for 5th; two will go to the third bracket, and two will go to the fourth bracket. In each case, we'll just play one game, high "seeds" vs. low "seeds", and the winner will take the higher spot. So the tiebreaker games this week are:
Dan Seasmith vs. Jim Bentley
Adam Gillard vs. Karen Pearson
Tom Rowell vs. James Doohan
Niall Seymour vs. Chris Philpot

In "That Pool" the winner, Lloyd, is in the top bracket, along with one of the two players tied at 4-3, Lee Simmonds and Michael Wallace. [Since this tiebreaker has already happened, that would be Michael.] The loser of that match will be in the second bracket, along with one of the players at 3-4. Two more will go into the third bracket, and the rest will go into the fourth. Since Philip Jarvis has withdrawn, he'll be at the bottom; the rest will play a "ladder" to determine finish, with seeds based on Sonneborn-Berger points. So the tiebreakers here will go:
Ian Volante vs. Andy Wilson (loser into fourth bracket)
winner above vs. Josh Hurst
winner above vs. Liam Tiernan (winner into second bracket)
Last edited by Andrew Feist on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Apterous Summer Open Week 6

Post by Matt Morrison »

Congratulations Andy buddy!
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Two close games that I stole on crucials, especially the second one as I was about buzz before Karen beat to me it with the same wrong answer I had. As always, a pleasure to play against Karen, the best player over the two games lost

James Doohan 90 - 87 Karen Pearson
James Doohan 95 - 88 Karen Pearson
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

James Doohan wrote:the best player over the two games lost

James Doohan 90 - 87 Karen Pearson
James Doohan 95 - 88 Karen Pearson
Rubbish! You were clearly the better player.

Also a pleasure to play you James, as always. Thanks for the games.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Dinos Sfyris 2 - 0 James Hurrell

2 very satisfying lunchtime games in which I learnt a lovely word CUPOLAED and a rubbish word TANNIES. Here they are:

Dinos 131 - 93 James

Dinos 108 - 88 James

Shame I'm out of the running thanks to poor spread and Kirk's conundrum skillz. Cheers for organising a fantastic tournament Andrew :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kirk Bevins 1 - 2 Dale Levell

Kirk Bevins 117 - 108 Dale Levell: I got 936 just out of time and didn't risk COINAGES so I was well pleased to get the conundrum first to grasp the win.
Kirk Bevins 106 - 114 Dale Levell: Thought one of us was going to get a max game after 10 rounds but it wasn't to be. A lovely pencil by Dale and I was a fraction too late on the nervy conundrum.
Kirk Bevins 88 - 112 Dale Levell: Absolutely stuffed here as Dale powers in a 14 max game, and a max game between us. Another pencil for Dale and some awesome words (and some terrible misses by me) but his composure saw him win the day.

Well played mate.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Congratulations Andy buddy!
Hey, Thanks Matt.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Open Tournament:

James Robinson 2 - 0 Ryan Taylor

Ryan Taylor 70 - 80 James Robinson
James Robinson 97 - 65 Ryan Taylor

2 brilliant games to finish off my run in this tournament.

After seeing Ryan beat Kirk earlier, I thought to myself, uh-oh. :roll: But after a few early drawn rounds in the first game, it seemed my fears were unfounded, but after trying merantis (been looking up the old recaps too long :roll: ), I thought I might have another mountain to climb, but after levelling it up again, my 6 small solution put me 10 up heading into the conundrum, which I got after 1 second, but typing in the N instead of the M, meant I had to wait and hope that Ryan didn't know it. Luckily, he didn't. :D

Game 2 began immediately, and after round 1, I was 18-0 up thanks to TEDIOUSLY, but the letters games kept going back and forth in this one, with the result never looking certain until I got the 2nd numbers game and Ryan didn't. Then, the game was wrapped up with 2 rounds to go, and luckily I got the conundrum after 1 second. The conundrum incidentally was MULTIPACK.

Ryan played very well and did come out with some brilliant words, and could easily have won on another day.

Well done Andrew, for organising this brilliant tournament.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

An Open result from last night that I couldn't be arsed to post at the time:

Jim Bentley 2-0 Matt Morrison

Jim Bentley 97 - 69 Matt Morrison
Matt Morrison 64 - 100 Jim Bentley

Matt wasn't playing to his usual standard in either game, I think he was doing sex to Badcock at the same time or something, which actually makes his performance look quite good (pending Heather's verdict on his performance at the sexing).
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Open: Innis Carson 2-1 Jon O'Neill

Jon 104-87 Innis

Good spots gave Jon the edge in this one, I was given a second chance with the last numbers game but he settled the game with a nice conundrum spot.

Innis 106-68 Jon

This was pretty lame to be honest. Although Jon would have had an 8 in R4 if it wasn't for the game freezing at the wrong moment.

Innis 115-102 Jon

Much better one to finish it off, both of us scoring 13/14 maxes before the inevitably crucial conundrum.

Unlucky Jon, great contest.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Open Week 6

I nicked a narrow win over Marcus in a deciding rubber, when I think he was distracted by wanting to watch something on telly. ;-) Both the first two rubbers were interrupted by lag, although as far as I'm aware, it didn't affect either of the results. And if you'd have given me 7 extra points for a word I couldn't declare due to lag in the opening bout, then all 3 rubbers would have gone to crucial conundrums - which hopefully shows how close it all was.

Marcus Hares 101 - 77 Matt Bayfield
Marcus Hares 99 - 100 Matt Bayfield
Marcus Hares 79 - 94 Matt Bayfield
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Open Week 6
I nicked a narrow win over Marcus in a deciding rubber, when I think he was distracted by wanting to watch something on telly. ;-)
Big Brother then, yeah?
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

U1400 tie-breaker

Tom Rowell 104 - 86 James Doohan

Well done Tom
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Another U1400 tie-breaker:

Dan Seasmith 74 - 106 Jim Bentley

Neither of us were really sure what it was a tie-breaker for but hey, it's always a pleasure to play Dan. Seriously though, I've read the rules again and I still don't have a clue what happens next, or how my game with Dan affects that. Am I just being thick?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

JimBentley wrote:Another U1400 tie-breaker:

Dan Seasmith 74 - 106 Jim Bentley

Neither of us were really sure what it was a tie-breaker for but hey, it's always a pleasure to play Dan. Seriously though, I've read the rules again and I still don't have a clue what happens next, or how my game with Dan affects that. Am I just being thick?
Two people from each pool advance to the championship playoffs (with the next two going to the 3/4ship playoffs, etc.) Since there were four people who "won" the pool....
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

U-1400:

Ian Volante 94 - 74 Andy Wilson

Good game this one!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Open Week 6:
Meier 90-91 Feist
I start off by blanking Henry in the first round; that plus Henry's disallowed 7 in round 12 mean I have an 11-point lead going into the conundrum, which is good because I was nowhere near when Henry buzzed in.

Meier 85-77 Feist
I start off by blanking Henry in the first round; he retaliates by winning the next three rounds. (My excuse is that I had been listening to all the Dr. Who themes on a YouTube playlist, and this is when we got into the Time Lord/Sylvester McCoy themes.) Trading a numbers game for a seven still left him an eight-point cushion into what has to be the easiest level-7 conundrum out there, which we both fluffed.

Feist 90-88 Meier
I start off by blanking Henry in the first round, and get good spots in rounds 6 and 11, which (with the help of a distressingly easy six small on Henry's last numbers) sees me through some bad word choices and makes the conundrum moot, which is good because I was a half-step behind Henry there.

Three excellent games; well played Henry.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

What is all this 'blanking' stuff Feisty? You've clearly not played me in a while; I usually declare nothing in one round every game. That's proper blanking, none of this valid word rubbish.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

I beat Edward McCullagh 2-1 in 3 good games a while ago on Monday night.

GAME 1
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=280658
Edward GLIDED into an early lead from two nice spots proved unassailable including the 9 TESTATION. My SPANIELS threatened a comeback, but him being a VOMITER over them sent them back to their MINIONS. I protested at the end by being the SHOUTIEST in the conundrum but it was in vain as Edward won by 20.
EM 105
OG 85

GAME 2
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=280668
This was decided in round 3 when the Aptodic decided you can only REATTAIN and that you can't be an ATTAINER. Thus, my REATTAINS scored 18 and Edward's ATTAINERS scored 0. The gap remained at 18, even though we both tried to DISPUTE this straight after, then attempted to beat each other with an IPPON. My RUDDINESS in the conundrum greatly flattered me and the margin of victory was much higher than it should have been.
OG 114
EM 86

GAME 3
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=280679
We both were PUBLICANs in round 1 and MOTORED along in round 3. Then Edward's WARFARE destroyed my FARMER for a 7 point lead. In round 7, the Aptodic CONSPIREd to allow my word but not Edward's SNOOPIER^, so I led by 1, extending it to 11 in the second numbers game. My TOWNIES were superior to his OUTIES but my far from GOLDEN performance in round 13 allowed Edward to profit from his LENDING but the gap stayed at 11 until the conundrum, where VAGUENESS pulled the lead back to 1.
OG 106
EM 105

Great games Edward in a tie which could have gone either way.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hugh Binnie 70-107 Ben Wilson

Tight at the start with us exchanging words in the first half before I nail a tough second numbers to pull clear.

Hugh Binnie 76-112 Ben Wilson

Once again tight at the start, we exchange sevens mid-game, but a couple of good spots from me to complete a 12-maxer puts the game beyond doubt.

Well played Hugh- many thanks for the games. :)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

U1200 3rd place play off:

Me 76 - Miriam 58
Me 93 - Miriam 76

Feel a bit of a cunt as I made a point to Miriam to play me right there and then, forecasting horrible losses, as I had lost 7 games on the bounce and was producing seriously fucking wretched performances (was leading Jim last night by about 12 points and then didn't score in the last 9 rounds, for example) and then I actually played really quite good (by my standards). Ah well.