Keyboard or Mouse?

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.

How do make your selection?

'V' and 'C' keys
42%
'Request Vowel' and 'Request Consonant' buttons
42%
Both
15%

Total votes: 33

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Keyboard or Mouse?

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

When picking the letters, do you click the 'Request Vowel' buttons or the 'V' keys. Or both?
Last edited by Eoin Monaghan on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Re: Keyboard or Mouse?

Post by Alec Rivers »

You may want to change the ambiguous wording: The ones on the screen are Buttons and the ones on the keyboard are Keys. :)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I use tab and shift+tab to alternate between the buttons and the spacebar to select, so I suppose I should have voted for keyboard, but for some reason I voted mouse. Sorry.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I normally press the keys now after finding out that you could do this. I think (I'm not playing Apterous this very minute but I'm fairly sure this is the case because I remember getting slightly muddled with it when I changed from one to the other) that if you click on the screen, the vowel button is to the left of the consonant button, whereas it's the other way round on the keyboard. I think it would be nicer if they matched.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I think that if you click on the screen, the vowel button is to the left of the consonant button, whereas it's the other way round on the keyboard. I think it would be nicer if they matched.
Without checking, I think it matches the show.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Simon Myers wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I think that if you click on the screen, the vowel button is to the left of the consonant button, whereas it's the other way round on the keyboard. I think it would be nicer if they matched.
Without checking, I think it matches the show.
Probably that was my original motivation, but yeah it would make some sense to switch them. I wonder whether it would annoy people to fiddle with something so familiar, though.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I didn't know about the C/V keys early on, and then had trouble with a sticky mouse, and one press immediately gave me CCCCCC. The person who I was playing at the time mentioned the C/V keys, and I've used them ever since.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

On the keyboard vs mouse debate, I have been playing for the last 2 days without a keyboard attached to the computer I'm using. It's interesting to note that apterous is almost completely playable - the only thing you can't seem to do is declare anything other than the exact target in a Numbers round. You do also lose some time though, clicking on individual letters rather than typing. Also having no DELETE key is a nusiance, as you have to start again if you typo (which cost me a lovely 9 in a German game on Monday). But largely - it's playable...

Incidentally, if my keyboard woes continue, this will be why I will appear to be uncommunicative if you challenge me. I'm also unlikely to accept a challenge knowing that I will only be able to declare the exact target in all the numbers games.

(I'm posting this from a different computer to the one I play apterous on.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:On the keyboard vs mouse debate, I have been playing for the last 2 days without a keyboard attached to the computer I'm using. It's interesting to note that apterous is almost completely playable - the only thing you can't seem to do is declare anything other than the exact target in a Numbers round. You do also lose some time though, clicking on individual letters rather than typing. Also having no DELETE key is a nusiance, as you have to start again if you typo (which cost me a lovely 9 in a German game on Monday). But largely - it's playable...

Incidentally, if my keyboard woes continue, this will be why I will appear to be uncommunicative if you challenge me. I'm also unlikely to accept a challenge knowing that I will only be able to declare the exact target in all the numbers games.

(I'm posting this from a different computer to the one I play apterous on.)
That's cool, and not something I particularly intended. The game is designed to be playable with keyboard only, but I'll see if I can extend it for mouse-only play. Potentially useful for disabled players too.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:That's cool, and not something I particularly intended. The game is designed to be playable with keyboard only, but I'll see if I can extend it for mouse-only play. Potentially useful for disabled players too.
Or disabled keyboards.