Apterous Easter Egg Hunt

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Apterous Easter Egg Hunt

Post by Charlie Reams »

The apterous Easter Egg Hunt starts today!

Seven Easter eggs have been hidden around the game, and each is given for a different and unusual accomplishment. There will, of course, be a prize for the first person to get one of each. You're welcome to discuss methods for getting them (either here or in private) but I won't be giving any hints just yet. All I will say is that none of them require feats which are unattainable by a half-decent player, so you don't have to beat Rex at conundrum attack or anything daft like that.

Happy hunting!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: Apterous Easter Egg Hunt

Post by JackHurst »

I still don't know what a pair of slippers are for.

Hopefully theres an easter egg for declaring a 10 letter word in a game with 9 letters.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Excellent idea.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Pretty cool Charlie. I think I've figured out Blue and Red eggs already. Have a strong idea for Purple eggs too. I don't want to give the game away so soon though (plus, I might later want to attempt getting a complete set of eggs for myself), so I'll stay quiet.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JackHurst wrote:I still don't know what a pair of slippers are for.
I still don't know what pencils are for, and I've got 162 of the wretched things.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Talking of Easter Eggs, i have done something similar for the end of Series 60.

A few of you who see the recordings will have an early heads-up on things, but there will be a very special Countdown prize to the first person who emails me and solves the mystery. Watch closely on the TV, be astute and cunning, the solving requires no Countdown ability, its just awareness and perception.

My guess is nobody will solve it, but given the work its taken, i hope i am wrong.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

D Eadie wrote:Talking of Easter Eggs, i have done something similar for the end of Series 60.

A few of you who see the recordings will have an early heads-up on things, but there will be a very special Countdown prize to the first person who emails me and solves the mystery. Watch closely on the TV, be astute and cunning, the solving requires no Countdown ability, its just awareness and perception.

My guess is nobody will solve it, but given the work its taken, i hope i am wrong.
There will only be half a clock. What do I win?
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

I am winning with 3 eggs
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
D Eadie wrote:Talking of Easter Eggs, i have done something similar for the end of Series 60.

There will only be half a clock. What do I win?

If you're lucky, a £1000 and a runners up trophy.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I've been playing HyperGoatdown loads recently in the hope of getting QUINCUNX, please tell me there is a magical prize for getting that word.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Come take a look at our Eggshibition. Who needs to trade information with who? And who will be first to collect a complete set of ooware? Tune in and find out!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Didn't realise I had an egg, and I've no idea how I got it, but that's pretty cool bro.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Blue eggs are conundrum related I think, since Jimmy has been practicing them a lot and he has lots of blue eggs.

Red eggs are for something awesome, since only the top guys and I have them.

Not sure about the others, going to do some more detective work...
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Ben Hunter wrote:Blue eggs are conundrum related I think, since Jimmy has been practicing them a lot and he has lots of blue eggs.
Blue's for 4 large which I've also been doing quite a bit. The greens (I think) are conundrum related. Chris seems to have worked out the reds so ask him about that one. That's about all I know.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:Blue eggs are conundrum related I think, since Jimmy has been practicing them a lot and he has lots of blue eggs.
Blue's for 4 large which I've also been doing quite a bit. The greens (I think) are conundrum related. Chris seems to have worked out the reds so ask him about that one. That's about all I know.
I am leading in the eggshibition front, and I know how to get blue eggs, red eggs, indigo eggs and green eggs. I also have a yellow egg but not quite sure how to get it. If you'd like to know how to get a green egg and you can tell me how to get a violet egg, then pm me and the deal will be done.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:
I am leading in the eggshibition front, and I know how to get blue eggs, red eggs, indigo eggs and green eggs. I also have a yellow egg but not quite sure how to get it. If you'd like to know how to get a green egg and you can tell me how to get a violet egg, then pm me and the deal will be done.
Same here only I can throw details of all the holy versions of the bots in too (one at a time, naturally ;)).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

And the winner is.............

ME :D

http://www.apterous.org/eggshibition.php
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

For the sake of the growth of Apterous, Kirk should be banned from taking part in competitions.
I only started trying to collect eggs today and within five minutes it was a pointless exercise. Grr.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:For the sake of the growth of Apterous, Kirk should be banned from taking part in competitions.
I only started trying to collect eggs today and within five minutes it was a pointless exercise. Grr.
It's still fun, and there'll be a runners up prize for anyone who gets all 7 before the end of Easter itself, and a prize for the first person who can actually work out how to get them (Kirk fluked a few of them.)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: It's still fun, and there'll be a runners up prize for anyone who gets all 7 before the end of Easter itself, and a prize for the first person who can actually work out how to get them (Kirk fluked a few of them.)
I fluked one of them. I know how 6 of them are obtained but one was obtained without noticing it so it's work in progress.
Dominic Colley

Post by Dominic Colley »

Nice one Kirk.

Is it true you can get an egg for solving a conundrum in under a second? I have been trying (closest is 1.2 seconds so far) but it seems the signal from eyes to brain to fingers takes longer than a second for me. Is it worth gambling on one of the 9 letters and pressing that within the second and hoping to solve it before time runs out? Hopefully 1 in 9 times I will press the right letter and have a chance! Any tips?

Also has anyone got any more clues for the other eggs? I have blue, green and indigo so far...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dominic Colley wrote: Is it true you can get an egg for solving a conundrum in under a second? I have been trying (closest is 1.2 seconds so far) but it seems the signal from eyes to brain to fingers takes longer than a second for me. Is it worth gambling on one of the 9 letters and pressing that within the second and hoping to solve it before time runs out? Hopefully 1 in 9 times I will press the right letter and have a chance! Any tips?
It is possible to do it without guessing, you just need to get lucky with an easy conundrum. But guessing is also a reasonable tactic, you can just guess E every time until you get an EX one or something.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gah. I'm very very lucky indeed if I get 1/30 conundrums. Getting a conundrum in 1/30 seconds is a dream I shall never fulfill. Get your violins out.
Dominic Colley

Post by Dominic Colley »

Aaarrrggghh! Just got a conundrum in 1.0 seconds and no egg! (EXTREMITY) Am I barking up the wrong tree? Or does it need to be under the magic second mark?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dominic Colley wrote:Aaarrrggghh! Just got a conundrum in 1.0 seconds and no egg! (EXTREMITY) Am I barking up the wrong tree? Or does it need to be under the magic second mark?
It was probably over 1 second and got rounded down. It needs to be less than 1000 milliseconds.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Anyone worked out the yellow egg yet? It's driving me insane.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Innis Carson wrote:Anyone worked out the yellow egg yet? It's driving me insane.
Maybe ;)

Needs some abstract thinking though.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Do you get the brown egg for touching cloth while waiting for the lag on an important numbers game?
Dominic Colley

Post by Dominic Colley »

I have played 24 speed conundrum attacks, totalling 480 possible attempts, at a cost of many minutes to my life, for a virtual egg. And failed.

My Life Is Crap Dot Com

http://mylifeiscrap.com/
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Dominic Colley wrote:I have played 24 speed conundrum attacks, totalling 480 possible attempts, at a cost of many minutes to my life, for a virtual egg. And failed.

My Life Is Crap Dot Com

http://mylifeiscrap.com/
If you want to keep trying, I suggest you play 3 second conundrum attacks (can be set up from the custom menu), which saves your waiting time between conundrums. 1 second attacks would be even better but Apterous won't go lower than 3.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Gah! Spent so much time wondering what triggers the yellow egg, and then I get one by accident. Came at the end of this game:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=46588

Still no clue what it's for. Ah well, at least this means I've completed the set.

EDIT: Worked it out.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

D Eadie wrote:Do you get the brown egg for touching cloth while waiting for the lag on an important numbers game?
:lol: There's got to be a Jo Brand-esque word for that - LAGLOG?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Now that the Easter Egg Hunt is over, please can we have a run down of which egg was for what? :)

I'm sure my blue eggs were for getting 4 large numbers rounds, and my green eggs for getting conundrums in the final second.
Someone suggested that my orange egg was for getting LEOTARDS, but I'm not sure:
http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=45246

I'd rather like to know the others too. 8-)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Blue egg: solving a 4 large
Indigo egg: getting a word of 10 letters or more
Red egg: getting a conundrum in less than a second
Green egg: getting a goatundrum after the 9th letter has been revealed
Violet egg: getting a 9 in the first round (Standard 15 only I think)
Orange egg: getting exactly 100 in a Standard 15
Yellow egg: playing a newbie on their first game

Correct me if I'm wrong.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Green eggs are what Julie said I think, certainly for getting conundrums very near the end of the time limit. Everything else there is right.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Can you still win eggs, or is it too late? How long will the egg-getting potential remain in the system?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Can you still win eggs, or is it too late? How long will the egg-getting potential remain in the system?
To quote the top line of the News on the front page of the site, "The Easter Egg Hunt is now over. Thanks to everyone who played, and congratulations to our winner Kirk Bevins and runners-up Sid Myers and Innis Carson."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

And violet was gettable for any first round nine in the Standard variant, it didn't have to be a 15 rounder.

Otherwise exactly right :)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Ta muchly, all! :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

There should've been an egg for getting a word with an ex- prefix. The easter egg hunt was fun, it's too bad I've not been playing much Apterous recently.
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

JackHurst wrote:I still don't know what a pair of slippers are for.
I had a brainwave earlier tonight and I think I've finally worked that one out!
__
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Anyone else manage to solve this? If not I await my prize. Preferably a place in the specials :mrgreen:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dinos wrote:Anyone else manage to solve this? If not I await my prize. Preferably a place in the specials :mrgreen:
I got it in about 5 seconds.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:

Anyone else manage to solve this? If not I await my prize. Preferably a place in the specials :mrgreen:
I don't suppose it was the conundrum board thing by any chance?

Edit: oh, hang on, I've got it now. Have emailed Damian in case there's a share of the prize to be had.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I noticed it Friday morning. You beat me to it Dinos!
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Post by Maxine Silkstone »

And how about those of us that can't get to see the programme? Dying of suspense here!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Maxine Silkstone wrote:And how about those of us that can't get to see the programme? Dying of suspense here!
Given the number of people that seem to have got it already, I think it's fair enough to give some hints: you can easily get it with only reference to the recaps, and you can probably afford to skip a few of the relevant episodes and still figure it out.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I don't get it, what are we looking for here?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:I don't get it, what are we looking for here?
Count up the number of each letter in each episode and sort them by frequency. It's pretty obvious from there.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:I don't get it, what are we looking for here?
Count up the number of each letter in each episode and sort them by frequency. It's pretty obvious from there.
With a LOT of help from Andy Wilson, I've solved it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:I got it in about 5 seconds.
Starting when?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I got it in about 5 seconds.
Starting when?
Approximately 5 seconds before I got it.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

dinos was first to solve, so he gets the special prize, which is a rare countdown goody.

congrats to all others who cracked it.

series 61 mystery on the way soon.

damian
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

D Eadie wrote:dinos was first to solve, so he gets the special prize, which is a rare countdown goody.
you just being cagey about revealing what the goody is, or have you just not yet decided what to give him? :)

I spent an hour looking at NDCSEEG because I fucking wrote down jimmy's guess of CENTARIAN instead of INCARNATE.
annoying because the answer was something I looked for in the first couple of minutes.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

With the prize gone, I might as well post the answer here (don't scroll down if you don't want to see it)

The last 9 conundrums of the series were

GESTATING
ANTIVENOM
NONAGONAL
DEBATABLY
INCARNATE
SPEAKEASY
ECLAMPSIA
ERGONOMIC
GRANIVORE

Woo!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Hahaha. Brilliant.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I remember Damo mentioning them honouring RB sometime on apterous.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hahaha, that's excellent. Would never have spotted that.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:Hahaha, that's excellent. Would never have spotted that.
Hahaha, your picture. You ugly tosser.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Hahaha, that's excellent. Would never have spotted that.
Hahaha, your picture. You ugly tosser.
;)