GOTW nominations 15 - 21 March

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

GOTW nominations 15 - 21 March

Post by Charlie Reams »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=36069

Notable for two reasons:
1) It's quite rare that I beat Damian, and even rarer that I beat him decisively.
2) He got SEMEN on his paper.
D Eadie
Devotee

Re: GOTW nominations 15 - 21 March

Post by D Eadie »

Rd 7 really rattled me.

I had bruised, then contemplated DEBRUISED, and thought i would enter it into the 'notes' section in case you offered a 9, then as i was doing that i saw BIRDSEED, and thought you'd have a 7 so went to enter that instead and the time ran out.

Then obviously you offer DEBRUISED and i was kicking myself at the indecision. Don't recall ever hearing of, or playing STERADIAN before, so that was just too good for me. I refuse to learn 9-letter stems etc and i never will, but those who know that sort of stuff are always likely to cash in.

The comment in the chat afterwards where you said you'd be "too busy masturbating over the recap to feel guilty", was pure class. Well done mate.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

D Eadie wrote:Then obviously you offer DEBRUISED and i was kicking myself at the indecision. Don't recall ever hearing of, or playing STERADIAN before, so that was just too good for me. I refuse to learn 9-letter stems etc and i never will, but those who know that sort of stuff are always likely to cash in.
DC offered STERADIAN once which is possibly the only time I've ever seen it, and it looked like a pretty handy one to remember (although I think I have missed it recently). I'm pretty sure it was in a game in Series 54 which had a huge max because it had about 5 niners in it, possibly including TRIANGLES and POLICEMAN (which I think the lady who went on to win managed to find). What a memory.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

In which case Jon, it was prob Michael W who spotted it. I really don't remember.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Anyone who's done a bit of maths would be familiar with steradians, so no stem learning was necessary, although it was probably only floating about in my head because of its general high probability.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
D Eadie wrote:Then obviously you offer DEBRUISED and i was kicking myself at the indecision. Don't recall ever hearing of, or playing STERADIAN before, so that was just too good for me. I refuse to learn 9-letter stems etc and i never will, but those who know that sort of stuff are always likely to cash in.
DC offered STERADIAN once which is possibly the only time I've ever seen it, and it looked like a pretty handy one to remember (although I think I have missed it recently). I'm pretty sure it was in a game in Series 54 which had a huge max because it had about 5 niners in it, possibly including TRIANGLES and POLICEMAN (which I think the lady who went on to win managed to find). What a memory.
The game you're thinking of was the 173 max game where the 5 nines were TRANSOMED, POLICEMAN, TRIANGLES etc, MOTORISED, GESNERIAD so it's not that game.

And to answer Charlie - I've done a maths degree and never came across steradians. I learnt STERADIAN off Countdown (it has been mentioned on the show a couple of times at least) and of course on high probability stuff.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote: And to answer Charlie - I've done a maths degree and never came across steradians. I learnt STERADIAN off Countdown (it has been mentioned on the show a couple of times at least) and of course on high probability stuff.
But as established, you don't actually know anything about maths.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote: And to answer Charlie - I've done a maths degree and never came across steradians. I learnt STERADIAN off Countdown (it has been mentioned on the show a couple of times at least) and of course on high probability stuff.
Haha. Quality, a 2:1 in maths from York and I know nothing about maths. I think it's time to change the idea of a degree...
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:the 5 nines were TRANSOMED, POLICEMAN, TRIANGLES etc, MOTORISED, GESNERIAD
POLICEMEN :P
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Haha. Quality, a 2:1 in maths from York and I know nothing about maths. I think it's time to change the idea of a degree...
Agreed.