Aptobash II: Live News

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Aptobash II: Live News

Post by Charlie Reams »

This thread will be updated throughout the tournament with live news of the event. To remind you, games start at 6.30 and we aim to finish the main tournament by 9.30, with a best-of-3 final to follow.

18:30: We're underway, with 22 players including a few late entrants and a few no-shows (I'll deal with you later :evil:.) Thanks to CF who's standing in as a substitute.
19:23: After enough technical problems to sink a small ship and the unfortunate exit of Paul Howe due to computer issues, Round 1 is complete! Kirk Bevins is top with a winning spread of +100.
20:08: After a further disaster in which we had to wait half an hour for one game, Round 2 is complete! Dinos moves into first place with a spread of +137 but Kirk has overcome a difficult opponent in Jono to hold second. James, Chris, Junaid and Kai are all also tied 2 wins.
20:30: Almost on schedule, Round 3 is complete. Kirk's crushing defeat of Dinos takes him back to 1st, while Junaid and Kai also remain unbeaten.
21:30: A busy hour, but Round 5 of 8 is now complete. Kirk is now the only unbeaten player, with Jono, Kai and Junaid chasing on 4 wins. Round 5 also saw a first win of the tournament for newbie Jack Hurst, after he defeated Sid on a second crucial conundrum.
21:47: End of Round 6 and Kirk is still unbeaten, now on a ridiculous spread of +243 and almost guaranteed a place in the final. Junaid scored an important win over Jono to take undisputed 2nd, but with 5 players just one win behind, that second spot in the final is still anyone's.
23:00: Collapse in a heap. My own Internet connection failed for most of Round 7 and by the time I got back almost everyone had lost interest. Hopefully we'll complete the final in the next few days.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Re: Aptobash II: Live News

Post by Oliver Garner »

Can't log back in
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Same - cannot log in - please wait for me on R2!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Oliver Garner wrote:Can't log back in
Same here- And I'm not even playing! :evil: :twisted:
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

I can't get back in either!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Lee Simmonds wrote:I can't get back in either!
I'm in
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Down again
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

I was in....but now out again!!!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

If everyone can just be cool for a couple of minutes, we should be ready to go again.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I managed to log on to watch, and it kicked me off after about two minutes! D'oh!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I challenged Jim, chat died, got no reply, logged off and can't yet get back in. Still trying.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I can't get in at all, I'm afraid. I've tried.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Patience, it'll be back up soon.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:I can't get in at all, I'm afraid. I've tried.
I'm still trying. At least it's both of us.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Well played Ben, by the way.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Unable to get back in
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I just got "connection refused" instead of could not connect, which is a change. I wouldn't go so far as to call it progress however.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ian Volante wrote:I just got "connection refused" instead of could not connect, which is a change. I wouldn't go so far as to call it progress however.
AH, server reset I reckon.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

My internet is completely failing, in addition to the site being shaky. Every letter I pick is taking a ridiculous amount of time to appear, and I actually didn't even get to see one of the conundrums at all (heard the beep, but no letters), and Kai buzzed correctly before I could even reload the game.

So, I am forced to withdraw from the tournament. I apologise very much for any logistical nightmares it may cause, but I am completely unable to play right now. This isn't just the site - it's definitely my own internet connection being especially problematic. And what a time for it to happen. :evil:
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Sigh, it kicked me off again.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

struggling to get back in to finish R7 with Innis...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Should be back up now. Sigh.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Not me unfortunately. I'll give it another 5 mins or so but after that I'm gonna have to call it a night. Sorry Jon as we didn't get to finish our game.
Last edited by Lee Simmonds on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Miles

Post by Jeremy Miles »

Do you think many would mind if it ended at round 7?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Seems rather broken for me too (thought not CF). Oh well, shall keep trying.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

i cant get back in now either, its been ok for me tonight till now :cry:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

tomrowell wrote:i cant get back in now either, its been ok for me tonight till now :cry:
You were in the room just then!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

It seems people in the room can chat, but no-one can get in.

And for completeness if it finishes here, I beat Allan Harmer 66-63. Just want to get a positive win record...
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I think there's another round to go, but I can't get back in.

I've been fucking appalling all night, so it's probably for the best.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I've got shut out now as well. I was really enjoying the party too.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Is the last round still going ahead?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Oliver Garner wrote:Is the last round still going ahead?
Doubtful. Thanks for running this Charlie, I've enjoyed it mostly, and even though my standard was mince, I've got at least an even record, which surprises me greatly.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

It's me v you, but I challenged one of you (there appeared to be 4) and was instantly kicked off the server. Sit tight.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:
It's me v you, but I challenged one of you (there appeared to be 4) and was instantly kicked off the server. Sit tight.
Round 8's been drawn has it?
Jeremy Miles

Post by Jeremy Miles »

I'm out.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:
My chat broke almost instantly, and I'm not touching apterous again tonight! Well played mate.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Been trying to get in to play my last game with Innis but it appears to be down.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I can't seem to get back in. Paul beat me 97-73 in my final game. I reckon this rules me out of the reckoning for the final. Even if I have somehow made it, I'm off for the night.

Thanks for organising Charlie and thanks to everyone for a good tourny (except Paul, damn you!).
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Oh, I didn't realise I was due to play, sorry. I can't get in either anyway.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I thought I just posted my reply.......oh well, thanks for the bashing :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I give up. The whole thing has been awful and I think it's clear that the frail status of the server makes it totally unsuitable for large tournaments. Sorry for everyone who took part and spent most of the evening waiting around or trying to log in.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Thanks for doing your best anyway Charlie, much appreciated :)
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

No problem Charlie - Thanks for all your hard work in keeping it going.

I really enjoyed the tournament and had some good games against sporting opponents.

Cheers!

Al
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I still had great fun tonight, even if it seemed awful from your side of it I'm still glad this took place tonight and utterly appreciate the unseen effort that went into it. The fact that a couple of games fewer than planned took place barely detracts from it at all.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Allan Harmer wrote:No problem Charlie - Thanks for all your hard work in keeping it going.

I really enjoyed the tournament and had some good games against sporting opponents.

Cheers!

Al
Seconded. You did brilliantly despite seemingly having the wrath of several mystical beings crashing down on you from a great height, and we all played seven games and had fun doing so. And I at least managed to get revenge over Mr. Hurrell for the earlier embarrassment that was round 2. :twisted:

...And sorry I didn't answer the phone earlier, I still had it on silent from yesterday :oops: [/bolas]
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Don't worry Charlie, think everyone had a good time regardless and appreciates all the effort you put in.

Quite relieved from a personal perspective, as I think I'd have ended up blagging my way into the final and feeling wretched about it. I didn't realise Dinos was still in contention when I took his place, just wanted to get a couple of games in.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Just got back. It's a shame we didn't get through it all but I had massive fun playing my games. I can only imagine how stressed out you must've been during the course of the evening, Charlie. So just wanna say thanks again for organising, I had a great time, even the banter in between games was fun.

Tell you what, let's just say I won, Kirk came second and Jono came 3rd. Agreed?

:)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Just got back. It's a shame we didn't get through it all but I had massive fun playing my games. I can only imagine how stressed out you must've been during the course of the evening, Charlie. So just wanna say thanks again for organising, I had a great time, even the banter in between games was fun.

Tell you what, let's just say I won, Kirk came second and Jono came 3rd. Agreed?

Thanks Charlie for organising it and I echo all the above sentiments. And oi, let me win something for once - please? ;)
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:Just got back. It's a shame we didn't get through it all but I had massive fun playing my games. I can only imagine how stressed out you must've been during the course of the evening, Charlie. So just wanna say thanks again for organising, I had a great time, even the banter in between games was fun.

Thanks Charlie for organising it and I echo all the above sentiments. And oi, let me win something for once - please? ;)
SPOILER, this means you lose your first heat game. Omg this is shocking!!!!!!

Provide an inductive argument for why you should win and it's all yours.

Seriously though, I do think Captain Kirk should be awarded the title.
Rob Thomas
Rookie

Post by Rob Thomas »

Thanks Charlie for organising the bash. I wussed out shamefully before it even started due to "family pressure" so I wasn't even there but I still appreciate the efforts you put in to give us this excellent piece of software, and to put on the bash.

Out of interest, what would it take to decrease your stress levels (re. server)? Is it a case of a more powerful machine hosted at an ISP? Is that something that could be priced up and we all contribute to?

Thanks again.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rob Thomas wrote:Out of interest, what would it take to decrease your stress levels (re. server)? Is it a case of a more powerful machine hosted at an ISP? Is that something that could be priced up and we all contribute to?
Appreciated but no, I believe the problems are mostly caused by software problems which are only likely to arise when a large number of players are playing at once, making them extremely difficult to reproduce or eliminate.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Rob Thomas wrote:Out of interest, what would it take to decrease your stress levels (re. server)? Is it a case of a more powerful machine hosted at an ISP? Is that something that could be priced up and we all contribute to?
Appreciated but no, I believe the problems are mostly caused by software problems which are only likely to arise when a large number of players are playing at once, making them extremely difficult to reproduce or eliminate.
Unless we were to have an AptoCrash night, in which everyone logged in takes preceise actions to help get some controlled data?
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Charlie, thanks for organising aptobash. Although I don't do much other than practice on apterous because I'm so crap, the boys get a lot out of it and I'd like to thank you for all the hard work you put into it. Maybe one day, with enough practice, I'll be able to enter one of the tournaments myself (in my dreams) if you're still mad enough to organise and run them, which I hope you are - everyone involved seems to thoroughly enjoy them and I certainly enjoy spectating and laughing at some of the chat that goes on! Keep up the good work! :)
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Terribly sorry. Completely forgot. :oops:
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:I give up. The whole thing has been awful and I think it's clear that the frail status of the server makes it totally unsuitable for large tournaments. Sorry for everyone who took part and spent most of the evening waiting around or trying to log in.
Nah, don't be daft. OK, things were a bit chaotic, but that didn't detract from the fun of the competition, which was excellent as expected. Hope this hasn't put you off doing more Bashes in the future, cos they're cool.

However, I do intend to play the next one sober. I mean seriously, I don't know what the fuck I was thinking yesterday. Looking on the bright side though, I'm fortunately unable to recall most of the details of all my humiliating defeats :lol:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I like the idea of the Aptocrash. Some regimented stress testing I'm sure is something we can help with!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Me and GJ decided on MSN that we were in the final and the game finished 99-70 to me, as I got RELATIONS, ORDINATES and ZEMINDARI, all of which he missed, but he beat me with POOFTER. Agreed? :)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Me and GJ decided on MSN that we were in the final and the game finished 99-70 to me, as I got RELATIONS, ORDINATES and ZEMINDARI, all of which he missed, but he beat me with POOFTER. Agreed? :)
I'm too lazy to check- who's GJ?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Me and GJ decided on MSN that we were in the final and the game finished 99-70 to me, as I got RELATIONS, ORDINATES and ZEMINDARI, all of which he missed, but he beat me with POOFTER. Agreed? :)
I'm too lazy to check- who's GJ?
Ginger Jono, whoever that is.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Rats, I was hoping it was George Jenkins.