Cheating: What it is, and why you shouldn't do it

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: Cheating: What it is, and why you shouldn't do it

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:(also - *ten*?)
What's your beef?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:(also - *ten*?)
What's your beef?
Is beef a type of cock? I'm really confused now.

I was going to ask you to name 10 different types of cock, and then realised I was probably letting myself into an ornithology lesson.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:I was going to ask you to name 10 different types of cock
There were 37 types the last time I counted, but only ten of them were relevant to my post.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Samir Pilica - safe?

I fail to see how someone with a 900 rating who thinks VETO is spelt with two Ts can then go and find words like SARCOID and INTRADOS
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Maybe his chat never works but he doesn't seem very friendly.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Samir Pilica - safe?

I fail to see how someone with a 900 rating who thinks VETO is spelt with two Ts can then go and find words like SARCOID and INTRADOS
Looks legit to me. He's played a lot of games so chances are he'd pick up common obscurities like SARCOID and INTRADOS, and VETTO was probably just a guess because you had a 5, or maybe just a typo.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

INTRADOS is a cheeky RATIONS stem, it's one of those cool words you just remember straight away, like AMNIOTES.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Ben Hunter wrote:INTRADOS is a cheeky RATIONS stem, it's one of those cool words you just remember straight away, like AMNIOTES.
Or coprophilia.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

D Eadie wrote:
Or coprophilia.
Should I be concerned that you seem to be mentioning coprophilia more and more these days?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
D Eadie wrote:
Or coprophilia.
Should I be concerned that you seem to be mentioning coprophilia more and more these days?

Not at all. You are what you eat.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

But I'm nothing like Charlie's mum :(
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I was whooping Martin May 52-0 and he quit the game. He then asked people to challenge him so I asked to continue our game and he declined it. He's such an idiot - people should refuse to play him.
Martin_May
Rookie

Post by Martin_May »

I have explained to Kirk what has happened, and he chose not to believe me. For anyone unsure as to what happened, apparently "I" challenged Kirk to a game, and then quit when I was 52-0 behind.

My argument to this was that I, Martin May, was not actually playing. I gave control to my pestering 7 year old cousin, and set her up with some practice games against Supee Juachan and Ryan Adams. I came back to the computer to see how she was getting on, to find out that she had engaged in an argument with pretty much everyone, calling Kirk "a wimp". I immediately told her in no uncertain terms to fuck off (obviously I didn't actually say that). I then tried to explain to everyone what had happened, but to no immediate avail.

Kirk then called me a liar, which I took great offense to. Why would I need to play 5 round practice games with people rated lower than me? And if I was to play Kirk, which would not be a wise choice considering the great skill difference between us, I would NOT quit. If you do not believe me, check my games. I have lost on several occasions, some of which were very heavy defeats. I have never quit any game.

I hope this goes some way to clearing this up. I don't blame your reaction Kirk, I just didn't appreciate being called a liar.

Martin
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin_May wrote:I have explained to Kirk what has happened, and he chose not to believe me. For anyone unsure as to what happened, apparently "I" challenged Kirk to a game, and then quit when I was 52-0 behind.

My argument to this was that I, Martin May, was not actually playing. I gave control to my pestering 7 year old cousin, and set her up with some practice games against Supee Juachan and Ryan Adams. I came back to the computer to see how she was getting on, to find out that she had engaged in an argument with pretty much everyone, calling Kirk "a wimp". I immediately told her in no uncertain terms to fuck off (obviously I didn't actually say that). I then tried to explain to everyone what had happened, but to no immediate avail.

Kirk then called me a liar, which I took great offense to. Why would I need to play 5 round practice games with people rated lower than me? And if I was to play Kirk, which would not be a wise choice considering the great skill difference between us, I would NOT quit. If you do not believe me, check my games. I have lost on several occasions, some of which were very heavy defeats. I have never quit any game.

I hope this goes some way to clearing this up. I don't blame your reaction Kirk, I just didn't appreciate being called a liar.

Martin
Thankyou for this, Martin. I apologise.
Daniel Dodgson

Post by Daniel Dodgson »

In hindsight, I should have intervened with this but I was busy playing a match. After a while it became clear that Martin was telling the truth, but Kirk wanted to not believe. And that guy Jimmy Gough was in the background saying stuff like "Kirk's a star, who are you?". Quite a horrible sight to see really.

There does seem to be a bit of hostility from some of the "Countdown clique" to newer members. It really needs to stop.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Daniel Dodgson wrote:There does seem to be a bit of hostility from some of the "Countdown clique" to newer members. It really needs to stop.
Except that would require a fundamental change to human nature. Obviously everyone trusts people they've known for a long time more than some guy they just encountered on a website. Yes, Kirk got it wrong this time, and he apologised. What more do you want?
Martin_May
Rookie

Post by Martin_May »

Hi. I've seen these replies to my comments and am relieved to say the least. I accept your apology Kirk. In hindsight I cannot blame your immediate reaction, as cheating, not to mention unsavoury comments seemingly on my behalf, are things you never want to see.

I'll be keeping my cousin well away from Apterous in future :oops:

Martin
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Martin_May wrote: ....I, Martin May, was not actually playing. I gave control to my pestering 7 year old cousin, and set her up with some practice games against Supee Juachan and Ryan Adams. I came back to the computer to see how she was getting on, to find out that she had engaged in an argument with pretty much everyone, calling Kirk "a wimp". I immediately told her in no uncertain terms to fuck off (obviously I didn't actually say that). I then tried to explain to everyone what had happened, but to no immediate avail.

Kirk then called me a liar, which I took great offense to. Why would I need to play 5 round practice games with people rated lower than me?......
Martin
I didn't see all of this situation develop but 'Martin' kept repeating in chat 'Challenge me..... Challenge me.....please..... somebody challenge me..... or are you a wimp?' (Challenge wasn't spelled correctly)

At first I took this to be light-hearted banter but was later alerted to the fact that 'Martin' was playing my partner Supee in a 5 round game and had declared 2 consecutive 3 letter words, which seemed more than a little odd.

I think the game with Kirk and subsequent argument was not long after this, and the 'wimp' comment was possibly taken out of context.

I can see the matter now appears to be resolved, but the evidence certainly does support Martin's version of events. Whether totally pissed or just pissing about, I doubt whether a player of Martin's calibre would have sufficient motive to pretend to be a 7 year old.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin_May wrote:Hi. I've seen these replies to my comments and am relieved to say the least. I accept your apology Kirk. In hindsight I cannot blame your immediate reaction, as cheating, not to mention unsavoury comments seemingly on my behalf, are things you never want to see.

I'll be keeping my cousin well away from Apterous in future :oops:

Martin
OK thanks Martin. Sorry I doubted you but events seemed extremely odd but now you've explained everything here I'm willing to believe you and move on. Accept my apologies once again but make sure you ground your cousin for a week or two. :lol:
Martin_May
Rookie

Post by Martin_May »

I know, it put me in an unenviable position; having to plead my innocence after it seemed like I was slagging off some of the apterous universe.

Grounding? Seems a bit lenient doesn't it? I was thinking more along the lines of keelhauling.......

:lol:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:Except that would require a fundamental change to human nature
Now you've isolated the problem can you program it in?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Daniel Dodgson wrote:In hindsight, I should have intervened with this but I was busy playing a match. After a while it became clear that Martin was telling the truth, but Kirk wanted to not believe. And that guy Jimmy Gough was in the background saying stuff like "Kirk's a star, who are you?". Quite a horrible sight to see really.

There does seem to be a bit of hostility from some of the "Countdown clique" to newer members. It really needs to stop.
Ha, what am I in the clique now?

I was trying to tell Kirk to stop arguing with some random person off the internet and that it wasn't worth it. I'm really taking a dislike to you. You seem to determined to make me sound like (even more of ) a complete cock at any opportunity you can. You seem to have it in for me :(

I think I'm friendly enough to newbies. Please leave me alone.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: Cheating: What it is, and why you shouldn't do

Post by JackHurst »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Daniel Dodgson wrote:In hindsight, I should have intervened with this but I was busy playing a match. After a while it became clear that Martin was telling the truth, but Kirk wanted to not believe. And that guy Jimmy Gough was in the background saying stuff like "Kirk's a star, who are you?". Quite a horrible sight to see really.

I was trying to tell Kirk to stop arguing with some random person off the internet and that it wasn't worth it. I'm really taking a dislike to you. You seem to determined to make me sound like (even more of ) a complete cock at any opportunity you can. You seem to have it in for me :(

I'd leave Jimmy alone, have you seen his avatar? Those abs are so toned.
Martin_May
Rookie

Post by Martin_May »

JackHurst wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:

But the thing is, Jimmy, I'd like to think that I am not some "random person" off the Internet. I have been on Countdown, and I like to think that I made the most of it.

It is mildly irritating when someone who has nothing to do with what has happened, feels they need to have their 2 cents worth.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:

Looks legit to me. He's played a lot of games so chances are he'd pick up common obscurities like SARCOID and INTRADOS, and VETTO was probably just a guess because you had a 5, or maybe just a typo.
Hmmm.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

Hmmm.
you'd think he'd pick the obvious 'pronates' but no...
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Kai Laddiman wrote: Hmmm.
Yes but why get only GRID? RIGID was an easy spot... if using a solver... surely that would be easy! I'm confusing myself so I might be quiet now :S
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Adam Dexter wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote: Hmmm.
Yes but why get only GRID? RIGID was an easy spot... if using a solver... surely that would be easy! I'm confusing myself so I might be quiet now :S
... and he doesn't get the numbers or conundrum (the first numbers was easy). The queries continue...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Samir clearly cheated in that game but it looks like he's not doing so any more so let's move on.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

To be honest, I don't think there's that much point into putting masses of effort into catching and stopping cheaters. Firstly, they'll be a minority. Secondly, they cannot be getting any fun out of it (I wouldn't have thought) so they'll be gone soon enough. Thirdly, if they really do enjoy doing it, then why not let the baby have its bottle? They're not harming anyone, just wasting their own time, and not getting any money out of it...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kieran Child wrote:To be honest, I don't think there's that much point into putting masses of effort into catching and stopping cheaters.
Sounds like something A CHEATER would say, to me...

I'm kidding
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kieran Child wrote:To be honest, I don't think there's that much point into putting masses of effort into catching and stopping cheaters. Firstly, they'll be a minority. Secondly, they cannot be getting any fun out of it (I wouldn't have thought) so they'll be gone soon enough. Thirdly, if they really do enjoy doing it, then why not let the baby have its bottle? They're not harming anyone, just wasting their own time, and not getting any money out of it...
You make some good points. And I don't put a lot of effort into it. However you will always get some players who buck the trend and will hang around for ages while cheating. Frank Rodolf was a great example (he'd probably still be doing it if I hadn't stopped him) and there are some players on ISC (the Scrabble site) who have cheated for literally years. Also, some people will sort their act out and start playing properly once you confront them, which is good for them and good for everyone else. So when people are cheating in a totally obvious way, I'll do something about it. If someone went to really great lengths they could probably fly under the Cheatomatic's radar (it generates more false negatives than positives for sure) and good luck to them, because it'll be the most boring few hours of their life.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Samir clearly cheated in that game but it looks like he's not doing so any more so let's move on.
It wasn't me that quoted that btw.
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

:arrow:
Last edited by samir pilica on Sat May 02, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

samir pilica wrote:Hello Charlie. I would like to assure you that I have never cheated and never will as there is absolutely no reason for me to do so. As you know I have played almost 900 games and have browsed hundreds of the games of the top players in order to pick up some unusual words, write them down and eventually try to memorise them.So far I`ve got some 600 words. I am not interested in the ratings and I could not care less whether I win or lose. Since I haven`t got the ODE, this is the only place where I can come across the words such as mpingo,isabgul,piapiac,thiourea etc and that is the only reason why I keep coming back.
I don't know why this is addressed to me, I never said you were cheating. Chill and enjoy the next 900.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Aswell as a clearly fake name, Joe Blogs, from this:
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=54978
To this:
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=55579
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Aswell as a clearly fake name, Joe Blogs, from this:
To this:
One to add to the list:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=56520

Opinions?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ian Volante wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:Aswell as a clearly fake name, Joe Blogs, from this:
To this:
One to add to the list:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=56520

Opinions?
Probably an established player having a laugh. I can't think how it would be possible to cheat on unlimited mode. This game made me lol: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=55593
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Don't ask me why, but I know Joe Blogs isn't a cheat. (and no, it's not me!)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Don't ask me why, but I know Joe Blogs isn't a cheat. (and no, it's not me!)
Why?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Don't ask me why, but I know Joe Blogs isn't a cheat. (and no, it's not me!)
Is it you?
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Joe Blogs is definitely a cheat
Callum Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Callum Laddiman »

Eoin's right, sort of. I am so sorry to say it was me and my friends. Basically my friends made an account to practise on and for some reason chose the name Joe Blogs from a teacher that came in to our school. Im very sorry that i have got you Kabuffled into this mess. If you see him playing good then you know it is me but if he's playing bad then you know it is my friend.

Im so sorry,

Callum.
Oh, don't you just love pets..... Ahhhhhhh......
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Callum Laddiman wrote:Eoin's right, sort of. I am so sorry to say it was me and my friends. Basically my friends made an account to practise on and for some reason chose the name Joe Blogs from a teacher that came in to our school. Im very sorry that i have got you Kabuffled into this mess. If you see him playing good then you know it is me but if he's playing bad then you know it is my friend.

Im so sorry,

Callum.
I knew it was you from your awesome unlimited abilities :).
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Ah, that explains why Joe Blogs thrashed me but lost to everyone else, :oops:
Apologies Callum, ( I think....) :?:
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

It still doesn't explain why Callum played games under the Joe Blogs (sic) moniker, especially when he knew full well what was going on.

The name itself was a giveaway that something was fake, and anyone playing Joe Blogs (sic) should have realised this, but it's still more than a little underhand.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You're right Phil. It's pretty wrong. And no, James, you shouldn't be apologising.
It seems obvious to me why you shouldn't play under multiple IDs (even if you aren't playing yourself), and I'd hoped it would have been obvious to everyone else too. Dirty.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

To be fair he's only 8, I can imagine him in the classroom now with his mates, having a good old laugh. The only bad thing really is if Joe Blogs has a shit rating and then he cains you, causing you to fall down the rankings (if you care about that sort of thing). My advice is, don't play unlimited against ANYONE, it could be Callum in disguise :twisted:.

I'm drunk, ignore me. No second IDs for anyone is the best policy.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:To be fair he's only 8
10 :|
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
If that's the case I take everything back. Send him to jail!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm not really coming down on Eoin, don't know the guy, got no problem.
But regardless of age, if you're going to regularly beat fairly intelligent adults with your vocabulary, you ought to also be mature enough to keep up with them in the common sense department.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm not really coming down on Eoin, don't know the guy, got no problem.
But regardless of age, if you're going to regularly beat fairly intelligent adults with your vocabulary, you ought to also be mature enough to keep up with them in the common sense department.
It's not me, it's Callum!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I'm not really coming down on Eoin, don't know the guy, got no problem.
Haha, fuck, sorry Eoin! I didn't think it was you - that was just a genuine mistake.
All you little brainboxes confuse me :)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Hey! I'm pretty tall for my age!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Haha, fuck, sorry Eoin! I didn't think it was you - that was just a genuine mistake.
All you little brainboxes confuse me :)
Haha, you swore in a conversation involving 3 under 13s.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Just about 3, I'm 13 in 2 months.
Callum Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Callum Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Callum Laddiman wrote:Eoin's right, sort of. I am so sorry to say it was me and my friends. Basically my friends made an account to practise on and for some reason chose the name Joe Blogs from a teacher that came in to our school. Im very sorry that i have got you Kabuffled into this mess. If you see him playing good then you know it is me but if he's playing bad then you know it is my friend.

Im so sorry,

Callum.
I knew it was you from your awesome unlimited abilities :).
Hehe. :lol:
Oh, don't you just love pets..... Ahhhhhhh......
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I wrote:
Haha, he's 11, shows what my memory's like.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

I've thought for a while that there should be some kind of register of those confirmed as cheats. That way you'd know who to avoid and if I'd played someone who later transpired to be a cheat it would be nice to know.

In the last few days I've seen rumours about several players (I won't name them as mud sticks) and I'd suggest some of them correct and others are unfounded.

I take from the main page (mosquitos) that there are some that we aren't all aware of. Would it be fair to request that they be made public?
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Post by Maxine Silkstone »

I don't think that's very fair really. I don't know how foolproof Charlie's cheatomatic is, but surely nothing is infallible and it would be rather Draconian to brand someone a cheat without irrefutable proof. Innocent until PROVEN guilty. Some people play in a manner that could lead one to think they are cheating, one minute four letter words, then an 8 or 9. That's just down to dodgy attention span.
As has been discussed further up this thread, cheats bore easily, especially if they are ignored. Bit like bullies.
Best to just make your own little list of people The good, the bad and the ugly, and avoid those you find suspicious, if everybody does so, sooner or later those people will have no-one left to answer their challenges and go away. Or cheat against bots which is highly sad (and unlikely as they are not the type to pay up and have any bots)
I often think I'd like to name and shame, but it's not the answer, it just leads to flaming and unpleasantness, which will drive genuine people away from the site. There's enough of that in the real world!