Cheating: What it is, and why you shouldn't do it

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Giles
Rookie

Re: Cheating: What it is, and why you shouldn't do it

Post by Giles » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Can Eddie Leach be checked out? His games have seemed ok up to now, where a CSW solver is blatantly obvious.

Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:58 am

Can Dylan Taylor's games against Prime be excluded please?
http://www.apterous.org/headtohead.php?p1=15935&p2=104
See chatlogs and Dylan's usual standard.
Presumably boosting his rating or wanting to have max games, pointless either way. Amused that he still lost one.

Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Jack McCabe is a serial cheat. Check his games out and all conundrums he gets are between 7 and 12 seconds.

Nina Boyd
Rookie

Post by Nina Boyd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 am

There's often reference to cheating in the side-panel on the apterous screen. Are there really people who cheat? If there are, shouldn't they be warned/outed/removed? I have my doubts about a few, particularly with numbers; but then, I'm crap at numbers!

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 am

Nina Boyd wrote:I have my doubts about a few, particularly with numbers; but then, I'm crap at numbers!
It's easy to think "how did they know that word?" and "how did they solve that numbers game?", particularly when you're a new player. But as a long serving apterite I think the mentality to have is that 99% of people are not cheating. Recently there has been one person who keeps signing up and cheating but apart from that, to me, apterous is thought of as cheat-free. And when a cheat does come along, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:12 am

Nina Boyd wrote:There's often reference to cheating in the side-panel on the apterous screen. Are there really people who cheat? If there are, shouldn't they be warned/outed/removed? I have my doubts about a few, particularly with numbers; but then, I'm crap at numbers!
I think rounds 5, 6, 13, and 20 in this game (for example, like, I'm not showing off, it's just easier to find it in my games than Chris B or Jack H or Jack W) could be pretty intimidating for a new player. I remember myself seeing some tricks by certain 4L players when I was quite new and thinking what the hell, that can't be a human working it out, but after concerted efforts to get your head around the tricks of the trade, these things become pretty natural.

L'oisleatch McGraw
Acolyte

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:11 pm

James Nguyen wrote:Hi, Nick.

I don't post on the forums much, but I can say I definitely did not cheat in the games played against you.

Charlie's right, I did used to cheat, but I haven't for a while now.

Well that's news to me!
Young Nguyen took my Aptovirginity in October 2010... i.e. right in the middle of his cheating phase.
Makes me feel a little better about that loss. ;)
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp