Game of the Year (GotY) 2017 - nominations

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Game of the Year (GotY) 2017 - nominations

Post by Adam Gillard »

Evening, all!

I'm setting up this thread for information and discussion about GotY 2017. I'm planning to accept nominations for a one-month period after all of the GotW results for 2017 have been confirmed (around the second week of January 2018). After nominations close (mid-February 2018), I'll post a new thread with the final nominees for the poll itself.

Nominations

The rules for the nominations are as follows:
  • 1) Each person may nominate up to 25 games.
    2) You may nominate any game from 2017. The GotW archive would be a good place to start looking (it lists the top 3 games from each GotW vote; you can see the other games that made it to the GotW vote by clicking on the date in the 'Week' column).
    3) If you nominate a game that didn't make the top 3 in GotW results, then I'll mention it on a list that will be maintained at the bottom of this post, so that others will be able to see it (one mention per game, regardless of how many nominations it receives).
After nominations have closed and all nominations have been counted, I'll select a natural cut-off point such that around 10-15 nominees make the final poll.

Nominations should be submitted to me by aptomail or by private message on this forum. Please provide the date and full score of each game that you nominate, preferably with a link to the game log (e.g. The Duellist 10 - 47 Dave Noble, 1 January 2017).

If you've already submitted your full complement of 25 nominations and then you see a game posted on here that you hadn't noticed initially but want to nominate, you will be allowed to nominate that game in place of a game that you had already nominated. Alternatively, you can nominate games in dribs and drabs - even one nomination could make a difference!

Please let me know if you have any questions. Nominations won't be open for another few weeks yet, but feel free to start having a look back through some great games from 2017!

List of games nominated that didn't make the top 3 of GotW results:
Last edited by Adam Gillard on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Game of the Year (GotY) 2017 - nominations

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Since this is Apterous' 10th year, could we also do a Game of the Decade?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 am Since this is Apterous' 10th year, could we also do a Game of the Decade?
It's a nice idea but surely it'd be a bit hard to pick a best out of the best games over the past 10 years? it's hard enough doing a game of the year - there's that many high quality games.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

It'd be easy.
Just do it after the 2017 winner is chosen...
Allow people vote on what they consider the greatest of the 10 annual winners so far.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 am Since this is Apterous' 10th year, could we also do a Game of the Decade?
Yes we could, nice idea!
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm It'd be easy.
Allow people vote on what they consider the greatest of the 10 annual winners so far.
I've been running the annual poll since 2010, the year I first signed up to apterous. So we'd have 8 years of winners at that point but I'd be open to discussions around nominating one game from 2008 and one game from 2009 to complete the set.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Gillard wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:55 pm
Yes we could, nice idea!
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm It'd be easy.
I've been running the annual poll since 2010, the year I first signed up to apterous. So we'd have 8 years of winners at that point but I'd be open to discussions around nominating one game from 2008 and one game from 2009 to complete the set.
Stop right there. If we had a game of the decade, I think it should be more open, rather than to just winners of GOTY, just like GOTY is open to non-GOTW winners. A few games have been missed and were highlighted later on, like Rahul Suresh's max bullet hyper nasty numbers attack.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 pm Stop right there. If we had a game of the decade, I think it should be more open, rather than to just winners of GOTY, just like GOTY is open to non-GOTW winners. A few games have been missed and were highlighted later on, like Rahul Suresh's max bullet hyper nasty numbers attack.
Mathematically, if a game wasn't good enough to get game of the year, it should not be in contention for GOTD. However if you take into consideration changing tastes re: what constitutes a good game, and perhaps a few very worthy 2nd or 3rd placed GOTYs that people feel were 'robbed'... you probably have a point.

You could work out some sort of a nominating system for wildcard entries, and allow the final vote comprise the 10 GOTY winners (including the retrospective 2008 and 2009 winners) and a pre-agreed number of wildcards...
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:54 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 pm Stop right there. If we had a game of the decade, I think it should be more open, rather than to just winners of GOTY, just like GOTY is open to non-GOTW winners. A few games have been missed and were highlighted later on, like Rahul Suresh's max bullet hyper nasty numbers attack.
Mathematically, if a game wasn't good enough to get game of the year, it should not be in contention for GOTD. However if you take into consideration changing tastes re: what constitutes a good game, and perhaps a few very worthy 2nd or 3rd placed GOTYs that people feel were 'robbed'... you probably have a point.

You could work out some sort of a nominating system for wildcard entries, and allow the final vote comprise the 10 GOTY winners (including the retrospective 2008 and 2009 winners) and a pre-agreed number of wildcards...
All sounds sensible to me.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Nominations are now open and will close on Saturday 3 February 2018 at 11.59pm.

The rules and preferred format for the nominations are stated in the original post in this thread.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

About one week left to nominate.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

GotY 2017 nominations have now closed. The poll will open shortly in a separate thread.