Apterites who have yet to appear on Countdown

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Apterites who have yet to appear on Countdown

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Ok, so there is this page http://wiki.apterous.org/Category:Peopl ... _Countdown on the wiki....

Dan Abrey
Nick Baker
Amie Bateen???
Matt Bayfield***
Hugh Binnie
Alex Bottomore
Matthew Brockwell***
Prue Buckingham
Wilf Carey
Tom Chafer-Cook***
Mary Jo Clayton
Phil Collinge
Chris Corby
Lucinda Corby
Dave Coulthurst
Emily Cox
Rebecca Daykin
Ian Dent
Ellie Dobson
Dudley Doolittle
Carolyn Emery
Richard Everley
Andrew Feist
David Foster
Rob Foster***
Jamie French
Gevin
John Gillies
Lauren Hamer
Chris Hare***
Derek Hazell
Shaun Hegarty
Ollie Hermann
Sheila Hinett
Ben Hunter***
Josh Hurst***
Eoin Jackson
Mark James
Supee Juachan
Scott Kenyon
Joseph Krol
James Laverty
James Leroux
Dale Levell***
James Levison
Rob MacDonald
Ruth MacInerney
Jamie McNeill
Wayne Mardle
Henry Meier
Matt Morrison
Simon Myers
Peter Newby
James Nguyen***
Lloyd Pettet
Shrinidhi Prakash
Margaret Pritchett
Ben Pugh
Stephen Read***
Steve Rogers
Dot Ryan
Maxine Silkstone
Howard Somerset
Andy Staufenbiel
Julie Taylor (McCarthy)***
Liam Tiernan***
Jamie Warran
Jon Wilford
Emily Wisniewski
Zef

------------------------------------------------

It;s an interesting list that raises many questions.
These 7 in particular spring to mind...

1. I wonder how up to date that list is?
2. Are there other names that should be added to it?
3. I have added stars after the names of potential future series champions. Would you have any opinions as to any other names that fit into that category?
4. Which of these names are very likely to appear on the show over the next 10 years?
5. Which of these names are likely to never go on the show?
6. Gevin! Why haven't you been on yet?!
7. Who or what is a 'Zef'?
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Apterites who have yet to appear on Countdown

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I've heard rumours that Matthew Brockwell is planning to go on within the next 1-2 years, but no confirmations from me regarding future appearances for any of the other Apterites listed here (even in the near future).

I don't think anyone ever figured out who Zef was, and he was before my time anyway, but based on his wiki description it sounds like he may have ended up in an untoward incident involving a wine bottle a few years down the line.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Johnny Canuck wrote: I don't think anyone ever figured out who Zef was, and he was before my time anyway, but based on his wiki description it sounds like he may have ended up in an untoward incident involving a wine bottle a few years down the line.
Richard Brittain then ;)
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:I don't think anyone ever figured out who Zef was, and he was before my time anyway, but based on his wiki description it sounds like he may have ended up in an untoward incident involving a wine bottle a few years down the line.
Nah, he's not RB, he's actually a highly volatile scrabble player from Tranmere called Zef. Don't think he ever registered an apterous account though.
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Tut tut, you forgot Apterous dictionary corner :)

And plus, I fell the stars are a bit hard on those without one
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote:6. Gevin! Why haven't you been on yet?!
Maybe I'll get a bit better and then apply to go on.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:I don't think anyone ever figured out who Zef was, and he was before my time anyway, but based on his wiki description it sounds like he may have ended up in an untoward incident involving a wine bottle a few years down the line.
Nah, he's not RB, he's actually a highly volatile scrabble player from Tranmere called Zef. Don't think he ever registered an apterous account though.
(Zef). He's never been on apterous or c4c as far as I know, whether under a pseudonym or not (if he had, he'd have been unable to stop himself posting about one or the other, and one of us would definitely have picked up on his unique authorial voice).

P.S. I put his real name in brackets and the forum changed it to (Zef)! How mad is that?

(thusly):

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Zef.

Edit - Wow.

Paul "Tranmere" Thomson.

Edit 2 - Done.

Edit 3 - Paul Thomson
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Gavin Chipper wrote:
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote:6. Gevin! Why haven't you been on yet?!
Maybe I'll get a bit better and then apply to go on.
No... that's not acceptable! :mrgreen:
How long have you been obsessed with Countdown?!
Was it something insane like 2002 that you set up a countdown Yahoo group?
That's 14 years ago now. :shock:
Richard and Carol were still presenting!

If you are going for the award of "longest procrastination in fan history", take a bow, you've already won that, and no-one's gonna run you close. lol

The time has surely come to ditch the vague "maybe" and "if I ever improve" talk, and set a definite deadline.
You should aim to go on S77 and we'll be quarter finalists together. :D
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Euan Slatter wrote:Tut tut, you forgot Apterous dictionary corner :)

I didn't forget that.
It was deliberately excluded... as Zef should have been.
What I wanted to put here is a list of Apterites who have yet to go on TV.
So really, anyone on that list who has never been on Apterous should be deleted from it.

There are probably loads of names that should be added to it.
For example I was playing a new Apterite yesterday -Amar Chotai- who has an audition for TV this week. So there is that flow of new people who find Apterous and have designs on applying for CD.
Also there are plenty of long standing Apterites like e.g. Jojo Apollo, Barry Bridger, Ray Wilding... who aren't on the list, and (assuming those aren't pseudonyms) haven't been on the show either... so perhaps they should be added.
Euan Slatter wrote:And plus, I fell the stars are a bit hard on those without one
The rest can all have participation awards... coz they're people too. :roll:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Huh, forgot I'd set up that word filter. It's normally used to censor swearing. In this case it changes a name TO a swear word. :-)
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

AFAIK:
- Rob, Nguyen and Bayf don't want to go on
- Lav and Brocky will go on fairly soon
- Jamie McNeill is a potential series champ who also won't go on, having retired from Apto and events
- Quite a few don't live in the UK/Ireland (Andrew Feist, Jamie Karran, Josh Hurst)
- Shrinidhi is too young to go on
- At least 2 on the list have been on, but are listed by their pseudonyms and may not want to be identified

Didn't Howard Somerset die or am I thinking of someone else? The series champ thing seems a bit arbitrary and pointless due to the enormous fluctuations in finalist quality (sometimes in consecutive series - compare series 62 and 63!), but yolo.

Most of the people on the list though are those who went to one or two Co-events 5 years ago - there are loads more who could be added since (I have an up-to-date list of everyone who's been to an event ever), but the Wiki is hopelessly out of date on everything except broadcast game results/details, pretty much. If anyone wants to regularly maintain it, let me know; FOCAL could do with a Wiki fairy to update our pages regularly and maybe put results up...
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Didn't Howard Somerset die or am I thinking of someone else?
I'd not heard this!
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:AFAIK:
- Lav and Brocky will go on fairly soon
- Jamie McNeill is a potential series champ who also won't go on, having retired from Apto and events
- Quite a few don't live in the UK/Ireland (Andrew Feist, Jamie Karran, Josh Hurst)
- Shrinidhi is too young to go on
- At least 2 on the list have been on, but are listed by their pseudonyms and may not want to be identified

Didn't Howard Somerset die or am I thinking of someone else? The series champ thing seems a bit arbitrary and pointless due to the enormous fluctuations in finalist quality (sometimes in consecutive series - compare series 62 and 63!), but yolo.

Most of the people on the list though are those who went to one or two Co-events 5 years ago - there are loads more who could be added since (I have an up-to-date list of everyone who's been to an event ever), but the Wiki is hopelessly out of date on everything except broadcast game results/details, pretty much. If anyone wants to regularly maintain it, let me know; FOCAL could do with a Wiki fairy to update our pages regularly and maybe put results up...
I asked Lauren Hamer she has no desire to go on Countdown
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:AFAIK:
I can confirm that even when I was a regular Co-event attendee, I never had any desire to appear on televised CD. I achieved my final English language Countdown goal when I finished 8th at Co:KL 2015 (thereby giving me a full set of top ten finishes) and I've since gone back to playing Scrabble.

I can't guarantee I'll never change my mind**, but I doubt Countdown is desperate for yet another apterous-trained word geek to apply for the show. (Obviously, I like watching the word geeks, but I think Countdown's core audience prefer contestants of a standard they can play along with.)

--MB

**I did say a few years ago I'd apply if former contestants Mark Deeks or Ned Pendleton ever became hosts of the show. I wasn't being entirely serious, but I'd probably keep my word.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Didn't Howard Somerset die or am I thinking of someone else?
I'd not heard this!
I spoke to him fairly recently and he didn't seem dead at the time.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I'd not heard this!
Well, now we know what killed him.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Matt Bayfield wrote:**I did say a few years ago I'd apply if former contestants Mark Deeks or Ned Pendleton ever became hosts of the show. I wasn't being entirely serious, but I'd probably keep my word.
Oh, I didn't know Ned was interested too. Is it on, Ned? Cos we're boys and all, but if it's on, it's on.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

I seem to recall Ned was one of the favourites to replace Jeff Stelling.
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Talking of Ned, he can be heard taking part in Radio 4's Brain of Britain . Still available on iPlayer.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Charlie Reams wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:45 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I'd not heard this!
I don't think I was speaking to Charlie from beyond the grave. Maybe I should check
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Howard Somerset wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:51 pm
Charlie Reams wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:45 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: I'd not heard this!
I don't think I was speaking to Charlie from beyond the grave. Maybe I should check
That's exactly what someone who was dead but didn't want people to know they were dead would say. You can't get past me let me tell you.
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

Matt Bayfield wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:09 pm I doubt Countdown is desperate for yet another apterous-trained word geek to apply for the show. (Obviously, I like watching the word geeks, but I think Countdown's core audience prefer contestants of a standard they can play along with.)

--MB
Interesting comment.

As a (mere) viewer, I always preferred seeing people who were better than me. Obviously it's gratifying to beat the contestants when you're playing along, but you learn more from better contestants and it's more of a spectacle. Although that was before I knew Apterous existed. And I think it's especially true when it comes to the series finals, I think the show is better the more impressive the finalists are.

Also I think the show is just happy to have contestants in general. Which is why they allow contestants to reappear, many of whom are the word geeks as you say.

If nothing else, I think people would enjoy watching better contestants because they typically seem to hate people who play well/appear on episode after episode, and are thus invested in the game, as they are supporting the challenger.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

I know I am always in awe watching the better contestants, and a few years ago when I didn't really watch Countdown I still watched Countdown for a few days in one series when I had happened to accidentally tune in when someone amazing was playing and I was in awe at how good they were. I even watched the grand final of that series and was gutted when the person who I thought was the best lost 80-70 (looking back it seems this was Jonathan Rawlinson). I don't think I'd have done that if I had happened to see someone who wasn't as good. But then on the flip side I do also enjoy seeing close games too without a 100 point whitewash. I like a bit of everything really as I imagine most viewers do. I don't think there's a single Countdown viewer who doesn't at least enjoy seeing the odd word played which is new to them. I know I enjoyed watching Paul Erdunast come up with words such as ALIGOTE which I had never heard of. But a whole series of Pauls would probably begin to get boring.
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

I've only been on Apterous a few months, but I'm filming in May (I imagine Series 77?). Any news of other people filming for that series? (who do I hope to avoid!)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Noel Mc wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 pm I've only been on Apterous a few months, but I'm filming in May (I imagine Series 77?). Any news of other people filming for that series? (who do I hope to avoid!)
Gloria Hunniford and Gyles Brandreth in Dictionary Corner.
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

To be honest, I've been hoping for Gloria
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Well, I hope you get her then...

(but am baffled that people like her)
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

Sorry, my sarcasm is normally past the point of detection. Although she was born about an hour from me. Maybe we could bond over that?
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Well played, I can usually spot sarcasm a mile off. And now out of petulance, I ACTUALLY hope you get her.
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

Gloria Hunniford is scheduled to record on 30th May !
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

I had Gloria in DC for 5 of my shows - she did my head in.
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Martin Hurst wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:24 am I had Gloria in DC for 5 of my shows - she did my head in.
That's interesting. She seems like one of the ones I wouldn't mind. Why did she do your head in out of interest?

I won't be on the show for another 2 years or so maybe.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Peter Clarke wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:20 pm
Martin Hurst wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:24 am I had Gloria in DC for 5 of my shows - she did my head in.
That's interesting. She seems like one of the ones I wouldn't mind. Why did she do your head in out of interest?

Don't get me wrong she wasn't malicious or nasty or anything, and she was very friendly, but pretty much between every round of every game she was asking the same sort of inane questions over and over again like "how do you know these words", "do you just spot the words straight away, or do you have a method", when Nick reads out the teaser "so Martin, what's the answer?" etc etc - it was fine at first but after 75 rounds it was just like fingernails on a blackboard.
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Martin Hurst wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Don't get me wrong she wasn't malicious or nasty or anything, and she was very friendly, but pretty much between every round of every game she was asking the same sort of inane questions over and over again like "how do you know these words", "do you just spot the words straight away, or do you have a method", when Nick reads out the teaser "so Martin, what's the answer?" etc etc - it was fine at first but after 75 rounds it was just like fingernails on a blackboard.
Oh that does sound rather annoying. Did you mention about Apterous, stem words and that or did you keep it a secret? Considering the audience must have seen you discuss it etc?
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Noel!

You have a recording date for S77 already?
That is the one I've been planning on auditioning for...
Based on that, I guess it's time to fill an application form.
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

I do, although this I imagine I'm a slightly unique case!

I passed my audition in October. I'm a teacher though and, whilst my holidays are amazing, it's tricky to take time off work. I had a protracted email exchange with one of the researchers, which confirmed that they aren't filming during any of my holidays right through to September 2018. I eventually wrote to my Board of Governors, who agreed to give me time off. I was offered a filming date in April, but the principal didn't like those dates, so then I was given May.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Surely when u say Sept 2018... u mean 2017...?

Ideally, I would like a recording date in Sept/Oct... but obvs as long as I pass an audition and get on the show at some point, that's a result.

The rumour I heard about S77 is that Matthew Brockwell may be appearing. If that's still true, you are looking at the main contender for the Series title right there. [https://www.apterous.org/viewuser.php?user=18003]
Last edited by L'oisleatch McGraw on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

No, no, I mean 2018!
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

I'll be happy with a teapot or else not getting hammered to be honest!
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Noel Mc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:04 pm No, no, I mean 2018!
Really?!
Countdown is taking a year off! :O
If so, that's big news.
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

No hahaha, more they aren't filming during any school holidays between now and then!
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

September seems a strange month to be having holidays as a teacher.
I work at a school and I wouldn't get holidays in September, however I am off in the recording week leading up to Easter in April this year.
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

I'm not off in September. I haven't been very clear...

I originally was looking for a filming date when I was off. I sent through all of my holidays right through to September 2018 (although I'm back in from around the 20th of August), namely the mid terms and Summer etc. They weren't filming any of those times. (I am in work up until the Wednesday before Easter)

In the end I just asked for time off, which I was given.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Peter Clarke wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:54 pm
Martin Hurst wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Oh that does sound rather annoying. Did you mention about Apterous, stem words and that or did you keep it a secret? Considering the audience must have seen you discuss it etc?
Nah - didn't mention Apterous or any specific techniques at all (couldn't be arsed to go into it with her really) - just kept saying "lots of practice" - about 5000 times :)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

There'd be a fair few good'uns to update this list with....
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Agreed, Ell, J E and yourself for example
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Chris Corby
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Spike
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

I am not an Apterite as I don’t pay for it
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Ashton Hancock wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 pm I am not an Apterite as I don’t pay for it
Jon O’Neil private messaged me saying he would set me up a subscription