New game format idea

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

New game format idea

Post by Jason Larsen »

This is a new idea for a game format I came up with on apterous.org.

It is called Pricedown, and it does not have anything to do with the typing font of the same name. Instead, it is a cross between Countdown and The Price is Right. But, don't worry everyone, it is the same game of Countdown we all know and love with a few twists.

In the letters game, if your word contains the letters P-R-I-C-E in that order, you get an extra 50 bonus points. But, in the numbers game you cannot go over the target when you work out your solution. Otherwise, you will get no points.

Charlie, I thought you'd like this idea. What do you think of it?
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: New game format idea

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:
In the letters game, if your word contains the letters P-R-I-C-E in that order, you get an extra 50 bonus points. But, in the numbers game you cannot go over the target when you work out your solution. Otherwise, you will get no points.
Jono would be peeved...
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

I genuinely think this is a brilliant idea.

Also, Charlie, remember I suggested a game format whereby every word given scores points, not just the winners? Can you implement this format too?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Richard Brittain wrote:I genuinely think this is a brilliant idea.

Also, Charlie, remember I suggested a game format whereby every word given scores points, not just the winners? Can you implement this format too?
No - it's super shit. Defies all reason to practise learning long words, particularly if conundrums are still worth 10.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Richard!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

This would work in a multiplayer duplicate format, say with 4 or more players with 15+ rounds (like the goatdown challenges at colin) but not as a quick banger.

As for Pricedown... well, I've come up with worse gimmicks for certain. Kinda like the numbers restriction aspect of it.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Not sure about the Pricedown or Every Word Scores formats, but what about doing a 26-round Goatdown challenge, where each letter from A-Z is only allowed to be used once, as the 9th letter that the player picks.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Not sure about the Pricedown or Every Word Scores formats, but what about doing a 26-round Goatdown challenge, where each letter from A-Z is only allowed to be used once, as the 9th letter that the player picks.
I think this is a great idea (for once) by Joseph.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Kirk Bevins wrote:

No - it's super shit. Defies all reason to practise learning long words, particularly if conundrums are still worth 10.
Conundrums would be worth 5 points, and niners nine.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Not sure about the Pricedown or Every Word Scores formats, but what about doing a 26-round Goatdown challenge, where each letter from A-Z is only allowed to be used once, as the 9th letter that the player picks.
I agree, this would be fun (maybe as a daily duel) if it's not too difficult to implement. The numbers bit of Pricedown is scarily brilliant too.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Yes, this is a good idea. If someone can propose a good name for it then I'll do it.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
Yes, this is a good idea. If someone can propose a good name for it then I'll do it.
Alphagoat. :D
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote: Yes, this is a good idea. If someone can propose a good name for it then I'll do it.

Alphagoat. :D
Beat me to it my minutes!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:

It happens in the duels (although you are all playing against the duellist I suppose). But maybe you could have a duel where only the highest score in each round scores. But then again I suppose with so many good people playing, it's likely to be similar to maximums only scoring, but you would score for the word length not just 1 or 0.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:

Conundrums would be worth 5 points, and niners nine.
This is now implemented as Flat scoring mode. Richard and I had a game earlier and it worked better than I thought, although we agreed the original scoring system is probably better. Still, a fun experiment if you fancy something a bit difference.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'll check the site soon.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Very good, Charlie!

My next game on Apterous will be in Flat Scoring mode!