Bot programming

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Bot programming

Post by Martin Gardner »

I was wondering how the bots are programmed - do they also use the ISC system? I know on the ISC (Internet Scrabble Club) that some bots always get the "best" word and some the second best, third best, right down to the lowest bots which choose like the 30th best move (or similar). An Apterous bot that always chose the second best move would always miss a Darren but get the max on every other round (so AEICGNRST it would offer an 8 because there's only one 9). I'm guessing there's some sort of randomiser involved? I.e. the bot choose one word between the 2nd and 8th best, for example.

Also numbers can be baffling, when I solves a four large numbers game by going above 10,000 and later missed 9*100+3.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Bot programming

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I think you're right about the letters.

As for numbers, well, it's much harder to assess the difficulty of a solution. The WTP solver does it quite well. I think it's something Charlie's working on.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

CATERINGS?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:CATERINGS?
RECASTING :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

This question deserves a better answer than I currently have time to write, but for now let's say that it's quite a bit cleverer than ISC's approach.