Bye bye

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Bye bye

Post by JimBentley »

It's been a blast over the years, but I can't compete anymore. It's just nonsense. There's so many new words in this dictionary that are ridiculously obscure. I mean, everyone was clamouring for stuff like AQSAQAL and PIUPIUS to be back in the dictionary, even though nobody ever uses such words and haven't done since centuries ago, and even then only in incredibly specific circumstances that aren't ever going to come up again.

I've never learned words. I've always railed against it, not because I think it's wrong, but I kind of like the uncertainty of a word being disallowed. But now it seems that, to be of a reasonable standard, you've got to rote-learn a lot of completely useless words. Not for me, thanks. I'll carry on playing, obviously, but don't challenge me if you want a decent game.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Bye bye

Post by Mark Deeks »

FWIW, i felt this way for a while, which is why I stopped playing after the big update. I thought, nope, sod that, too much of a game changer to compete, and the pride factor of being vaguely near the top and not wanting to start sliding down came into play. But then i realised (admittedly assisted by reluctantly entering a period of my life when I don't have much to do) that I did like learning the words. Not just rote, but really trying to learn them. Don't think of it as learning AQSAQAL or whatever. Think of it as learning GARMENTO, PARENGO, etc. Your mineral knowledge will improve markedly, for one.

And to be honest, if uncertainty of words is your thing, this is a great time to be playing. More disallowed words than ever, because no one knows where the boundaries are now, and there's a lot of "it's something like that" that comes with the new words.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:I'll carry on playing, obviously, but don't challenge me if you want a decent game.
I think you scaremongered us a little bit with the title, Mr Jim!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:I'll carry on playing, obviously, but don't challenge me if you want a decent game.
I think you scaremongered us a little bit with the title, Mr Jim!
I was being a bit naughty; tell you what Mr. Gev, you read me like a book sometimes!

Edited to say: Now I think about it, I really should have done a proper flounce, as we haven't had one in ages, so long in fact that I can't remember who it was! Frankly, I've let myself down and I've let the the forum down. Maybe someone else could do one "inspired" by this event, though?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

get on your flouncy castle :D :D
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I love all this "being upset about the dictionary change". Oh, so you knew most of the obscura before, but now there's a load you don't know? This is how it has always been for non-apterous players on the show. Suck it up.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I still don't know how to fucking sautoir something.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:I love all this "being upset about the dictionary change". Oh, so you knew most of the obscura before, but now there's a load you don't know? This is how it has always been for non-apterous players on the show. Suck it up.
I'm hardly upset, it's not like I knew any of the obscura before anyway and the few I did know I'd usually confuse with something else and get wrong anyway. On a scale of being upset, it ranks slightly below spilling a cup of tea, and slightly above you dropping dead, i.e. of little consequence to me.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

JimBentley wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I love all this "being upset about the dictionary change". Oh, so you knew most of the obscura before, but now there's a load you don't know? This is how it has always been for non-apterous players on the show. Suck it up.
I'm hardly upset, it's not like I knew any of the obscura before anyway and the few I did know I'd usually confuse with something else and get wrong anyway. On a scale of being upset, it ranks slightly below spilling a cup of tea, and slightly above you dropping dead, i.e. of little consequence to me.
Such little consequence that you started a thread to say "waaah, I can't be competitive anymore, so if you ask me for a game then it doesn't really count".
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Such little consequence that you started a thread to say "waaah, I can't be competitive anymore, so if you ask me for a game then it doesn't really count".
I was drunk. You really don't know me at all, do you?