Strange Games

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Re: Strange Games

Post by Martin Gardner »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=35368

If this isn't strange I don't know what is...
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Martin Gardner wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=35368

This?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=35368

This?
Yeah it gives you ten seconds if you want them or not, oh by the way:
Kai Laddiman wrote:These days, can a chicken not cross a road without a joke being made out of it? Seriously. Some people.
Excellent!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Deliberate server breakage attempt? Certainly I can pick out at least one round there I could do within the time limit but the computer couldn't.
Interesting round 9. I'm pretty sure it is possible, although the computer says you can't get within 10.
It is: (((6x5x5)+4)x9x2)-3, although I don't think I'd have managed it in 3 seconds either!

Or 30, for that matter.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

But in a maximums only game, what if the numbers are 1,1,2,2,3,3 for a target of 999. How do you score a max?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Rex's revenge!

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Rex's revenge!

Post by Charlie Reams »

Classic.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

How many maxes did I get here and look how many non-words Damo offered and I still lose. Not that I'm bitter or anything. Well played mate.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=35495

(Could be a GotW candidate?)

Edit: Oh, and the background colours are wrong for speedgoat.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=38449

Fellow birthday boy Bill Shatner in dictionary corner, and in the other room Mum's watching BBC1 and what should come on but the main characters singing 'Happy Birthday'. :?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Not quite good enough for brag or GOTW, but pretty epic speedgoat between me and Matthew.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

It's good to see words I offer on the show appearing on apterous time and time again and it's also good to see other people learning them (as long as it's not any of my future opponents on the show):

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=39154
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sometimes, how well (or badly) you play seems to have little impact on the final scoreline. In this game, Matt and I plodded along with 6s and 7s, both missing the max on practically every round (probably because we were too busy talking dirty to each other in the chat pane to concentrate on spotting words), and neither of us got the conundrum. Yet some easy numbers and a good 9 spot by both of us resulted in a highly respectable 89-104.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Sometimes, how well (or badly) you play seems to have little impact on the final scoreline. In this game, Matt and I plodded along with 6s and 7s, both missing the max on practically every round (probably because we were too busy talking dirty to each other in the chat pane to concentrate on spotting words), and neither of us got the conundrum. Yet some easy numbers and a good 9 spot by both of us resulted in a highly respectable 89-104.
A bit like this game, which is (apart from Kirk's various astronomical scores) the highest-scoring 15 rounder on Apterous. Yet I only got 8 maxes. You just have to pick the right rounds to concentrate in, I guess.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

As I (repeatedly) explain to people who are not hardcore Countdown dudes, if you assume you get the numbers and the conundrum (not that unreasonable if they're all one larges) then you only need 60 points from 11 letter rounds to hit the century. Are there any games where someone has scored in every round and *not* managed it?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:As I (repeatedly) explain to people who are not hardcore Countdown dudes, if you assume you get the numbers and the conundrum (not that unreasonable if they're all one larges) then you only need 60 points from 11 letter rounds to hit the century. Are there any games where someone has scored in every round and *not* managed it?
Obviously I can't say for certain, but it seems pretty unlikely that you could score in 15 rounds and not make 100. But it would be interesting to know the lowest scoring all-rounds-scoring game.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:it seems pretty unlikely that you could score in 15 rounds and not make 100. But it would be interesting to know the lowest scoring all-rounds-scoring game.
This seems like an Aptochallenge suitable for me.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

It does seem unlikely. I'm a fairly weak player but managed to score 95 by scoring in all previous 14 rounds a few days ago. Missed the conundrum though, obviously.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

11 6 letter words, 3 7s on the numbers and the conundrum gives 97 points. A cracking total for quite a poor game.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=40561

Check out the closest you can get on round 79. Brilliant. Rachel sucks.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Rofl. Only 5621 away? That isn't bad for a newcomer! :lol
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:As I (repeatedly) explain to people who are not hardcore Countdown dudes, if you assume you get the numbers and the conundrum (not that unreasonable if they're all one larges) then you only need 60 points from 11 letter rounds to hit the century. Are there any games where someone has scored in every round and *not* managed it?
Obviously I can't say for certain, but it seems pretty unlikely that you could score in 15 rounds and not make 100. But it would be interesting to know the lowest scoring all-rounds-scoring game.
I was right... just. Here's the record, wherein Rob Thomas makes 100... just. Impressive that it's against an actual human, too.

Edit: Having bothered to write this query, I've made a page of it.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:I've made a page of it.
Does that only take into account regular 15 rounders?
Obviously with flat scoring you could abuse it pretty hard.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I've made a page of it.
Does that only take into account regular 15 rounders?
Obviously with flat scoring you could abuse it pretty hard.
Yes. Only the exact normal format counts. Otherwise you could abuse it quite a bit harder with maxes only.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=41193

In the first numbers round we got better than a maximum.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JackHurst wrote:http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=41193

I'll do something about this at some point.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

JackHurst wrote:http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=41193

In my HNA record I think I beat the max 3 times causing me to impressively come within one point of the maximum on a numbers attack. Had I not botched an earlier round I'd have beaten the max by a considerable margin.
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Oh, cackwires!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kevin Davis wrote:Round Three: Some men can find it, you know.
Every time I see CLITORIS recently, ELICITORS is always there. No wonder I'm shit in bed...
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:Round Three: Some men can find it, you know.
Every time I see CLITORIS recently, ELICITORS is always there. No wonder I'm shit in bed...
Every time I see CLITORIS recently, my SOLICITOR is always there. I wish he'd stop following me around...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The only all-darrens 15 rounder ever.

(Statistically a game like this happens about once every 46 thousand.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:(Statistically a game like this happens about once every 46 thousand.)
How did you calculate that? Just based on the proportion of rounds which have darrens from your database?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:(Statistically a game like this happens about once every 46 thousand.)
How did you calculate that? Just based on the proportion of rounds which have darrens from your database?
Yep, 65606 darrenic rounds in 15684 games, or 38%. So assuming darrens occur independently (seems roughly reasonable), that gives one all-darrens game in, umm, 41587... I think I messed up the rounding somewhere, but you get the idea.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Yep, 65606 darrenic rounds in 15684 games, or 38%. So assuming darrens occur independently (seems roughly reasonable), that gives one all-darrens game in, umm, 41587... I think I messed up the rounding somewhere, but you get the idea.
Aye, makes sense.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Not that strange really, but this is almost certainly my first palindromic nine-letter word.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Chris Davies wrote:Not that strange really, but this is almost certainly my first palindromic nine-letter word.
It was a stunning spot, nice one. By the way Chris, my quietness during games is due to chat not working in case you were wondering.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Chris Davies wrote:Not that strange really, but this is almost certainly my first palindromic nine-letter word.
It was a stunning spot, nice one. By the way Chris, my quietness during games is due to chat not working in case you were wondering.
Cheers :D Yeah, I reckoned it most likely meant that your chat wasn't working. I often have the same problem.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Closest I'll ever get to a perfect speed 9: http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=42146 Pissed me off immensely. I got the first numbers, but for some reason apterous doesn't think 10/2*7 is 35. Which it clearly is. So in a way, I'm glad I messed up the other numbers as well. But it's still infuriating. :evil:

I decided to take my anger out on Prune in the next game, trying to only score with words that were maxes. Obviously this meant taking some stupid risks, but on the bright side, I set some records- like the lowest ever winning score :D (although it hasn't appeared in statland yet for some reason)
http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=42154
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Neil Zussman wrote:Closest I'll ever get to a perfect speed 9: http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=42146 Pissed me off immensely. I got the first numbers, but for some reason apterous doesn't think 10/2*7 is 35. Which it clearly is. So in a way, I'm glad I messed up the other numbers as well. But it's still infuriating. :evil:

I decided to take my anger out on Prune in the next game, trying to only score with words that were maxes. Obviously this meant taking some stupid risks, but on the bright side, I set some records- like the lowest ever winning score :D (although it hasn't appeared in statland yet for some reason)
http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=42154
Multiplications are done before any other math operations, including division, so 10/2*7 is understood as 10/(2*7), rather than (10/2)*7.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Chris Davies wrote:
Multiplications are done before any other math operations, including division, so 10/2*7 is understood as 10/(2*7), rather than (10/2)*7.
This is not true. Multiplication and division are worth the same and so if you have an expression containing just multiplication and division, one should read left to right and thus would read it 10/2 then * 7.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote: This is not true. Multiplication and division are worth the same and so if you have an expression containing just multiplication and division, one should read left to right and thus would read it 10/2 then * 7.
Chris was explaining what Apterous does, not how BIDMAS works.
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote: This is not true. Multiplication and division are worth the same and so if you have an expression containing just multiplication and division, one should read left to right and thus would read it 10/2 then * 7.
Chris was explaining what Apterous does, not how BIDMAS works.
It used to trip me up all the time when I started out. Now I bracket the shit out of everything, just to be safe.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I just press = after everything.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Good to see that in one round on goatdown, there was just a darrenical 4 available and I missed it!

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 69#r642069
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Good to see that in one round on goatdown, there was just a darrenical 4 available and I missed it!

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 69#r642069
Kirk you got pwned in round 18.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Not a particularly strange game, but I liked round 2 of this, as an oddity:
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=43935
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Played okay here but again could easily have been a max game in the hands of someone better.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:Played okay here but again could easily have been a max game in the hands of someone better.
Odd how the conundrum turned out. That was my answer from the first conundrum which you never even got to see (the extra Es didn't even come up on my screen either, I just bashed a load of letters when it didn't let me press enter).
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 97#r640197

Somehow i managed to overcome Rex here, even in the face of his veiled threats in the opening 2 rds.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Is this me being rubbish or is this a really hard collection of 2 large numbers games?
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=45167
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison wrote:Undeniably strange: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=45286
Yeah, I was on a mission to cracking the eggs (no pun intended). I ended round early expecting to beat prune but he hit me with a max and I lost 7-0 :(
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

it was nonsense.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jeez thats harsh! Congrats on the 70 points tho :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Check out the fucking metamax!

Also notice how in rounds 8 and 10 Innis managed to replicate 2 exact selections from todays show! Although what really took the biscuit was his admirably mighty declaration for round 11 :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Check out the fucking metamax!
This game had a higher max than that metamax...
Callum Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Callum Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:

Sorry, please may you point out where the max was higher.
Oh, don't you just love pets..... Ahhhhhhh......
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Callum Laddiman wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

Sorry, please may you point out where the max was higher.
The max was 195, which is higher than 194.