A Tiny Complaint

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

A Tiny Complaint

Post by Kai Laddiman »

16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: A Tiny Complaint

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kai Laddiman wrote:http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=9288

The last conundrum?
That's an awesome conundrum :D

I would love to see that conundrum appear on an episode of Countdown :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I would love to see that conundrum appear on an episode of Countdown :D
I got it in a game with Damian, after he buzzed with HORSIEST. He promised he'd use it in a future episode, although he was probably bladdered at the time.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I would love to see that conundrum appear on an episode of Countdown :D
I got it in a game with Damian, after he buzzed with HORSIEST. He promised he'd use it in a future episode, although he was probably bladdered at the time.
I suppose HORSESHIT could still come up in a word round. It would be nice, as we've had WANKERS for 7 as an outtake and also GOBSHITE for 8 as another outtake, so might as well have a 9 letter swear word as well for an outtake :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'd have kicked up a bit of a stink.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Boring story time: On a school trip to Iceland in 97 I did some horse-riding - and fell off the horse into what I'd like to call "mud". My roommate, who I am still friends with, to this day, loves to tell the tale of how Dan fell off a 3 foot pony into horseshit, which he proceeded to leave a trail of in our shared room en route to the shower once back at our accommodation. Of course, acknowledging my countdown links, this tale would inevitably begin with him giving me a conundrum of "THISSHORE". I always replied (until I lost the will to live) that it wasn't one word - but apparently it is (maybe it always has been). If my friend found out...well, I don't think I can stand another 10 years of it. :twisted:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:Boring story time: On a school trip to Iceland in 97 I did some horse-riding - and fell off the horse into what I'd like to call "mud". My roommate, who I am still friends with, to this day, loves to tell the tale of how Dan fell off a 3 foot pony into horseshit, which he proceeded to leave a trail of in our shared room en route to the shower once back at our accommodation. Of course, acknowledging my countdown links, this tale would inevitably begin with him giving me a conundrum of "THISSHORE". I always replied (until I lost the will to live) that it wasn't one word - but apparently it is (maybe it always has been). If my friend found out...well, I don't think I can stand another 10 years of it. :twisted:
Haha that's hilarious. Moral of the story: Never ride animals.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Also, just to say:
This website is not endorsed by or affiliated with Channel 4, the makers of Countdown, or any person associated with the aforementioned in any way whatsoever at all, never has been, never will be, and moreover is proud not to be. Yep.
Except Damian, Kate, Lara...

Plus, why can't you go back on the numbers when you are clicking in your answer? I quite often accidentally press the wrong button and I have to give up. That sucks.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Plus, why can't you go back on the numbers when you are clicking in your answer? I quite often accidentally press the wrong button and I have to give up. That sucks.
Because if you could go back then you could just claim you'd got the answer and then stall for time while you worked it out.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Plus, why can't you go back on the numbers when you are clicking in your answer? I quite often accidentally press the wrong button and I have to give up. That sucks.
Because if you could go back then you could just claim you'd got the answer and then stall for time while you worked it out.
But then if it allowed you to delete the last function, it could be like the conundrum with the patience bar when you backspace and everyone's a winner
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:But then if it allowed you to delete the last function, it could be like the conundrum with the patience bar when you backspace and everyone's a winner
I have said I'll do that, but these things don't write themselves.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:But then if it allowed you to delete the last function, it could be like the conundrum with the patience bar when you backspace and everyone's a winner
I have said I'll do that, but these things don't write themselves.
Yeah, OK. You're doing a brilliant job.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I didn't think it was worth opening a new topic about but I was wondering why there are no -ING, -NESS, -LESS, etc. conundrums on apterous. Is it that they don't do them on the show anymore? Coz I remember they were on the countdown corral. Either that or I've been extremely unlucky with my conundrums.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy wrote:I didn't think it was worth opening a new topic about but I was wondering why there are no -ING, -NESS, -LESS, etc. conundrums on apterous. Is it that they don't do them on the show anymore? Coz I remember they were on the countdown corral. Either that or I've been extremely unlucky with my conundrums.
This was an experimental feature which I seem to have accidentally unleashed on the world. Will revert it as soon as my home Internet starts working again.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jimmy wrote:I didn't think it was worth opening a new topic about but I was wondering why there are no -ING, -NESS, -LESS, etc. conundrums on apterous. Is it that they don't do them on the show anymore? Coz I remember they were on the countdown corral. Either that or I've been extremely unlucky with my conundrums.
I personally like the conundrums when they don't necessarily have a common ending like -ING etc, it's a good way to learn unusual and uncommon 9-letter words that may actually come up in word round selections.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
I personally like the conundrums when they don't necessarily have a common ending like -ING etc, it's a good way to learn unusual and uncommon 9-letter words that may actually come up in word round selections.
Yeah same, I've improved my conundrums loads.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Speaking of conundrums, I've heard it said that "real life" conundrums are never plurals that end in just -S. Is that the only limitation? Would one that adds -ES to make a plural ever come up? And why anyway? It would only make sense if they also got rid of -ING, -ED and whatever else. What about verbs with -S on the end like COMMENCES - do they happen?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Speaking of conundrums, I've heard it said that "real life" conundrums are never plurals that end in just -S. Is that the only limitation? Would one that adds -ES to make a plural ever come up?
Not read the Countdown calendar recently, have you? :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Speaking of conundrums, I've heard it said that "real life" conundrums are never plurals that end in just -S. Is that the only limitation? Would one that adds -ES to make a plural ever come up?
Not read the Countdown calendar recently, have you? :)
For anyone who doesn't have a copy of the calendar, the conundrum yesterday was STONEROAD :)

[TORNADOES] - answer hidden in brackets.

Would that really be used on the show as a conundrum though?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jimmy wrote:I didn't think it was worth opening a new topic about but I was wondering why there are no -ING, -NESS, -LESS, etc. conundrums on apterous. Is it that they don't do them on the show anymore?
They frequently have conundrums whose solutions end in -ING on the show.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Although it isn't specified in the rules, S ending plurals aren't allowed as conundrums eg HEEDSLADY. Nor have I ever seen 3rd person singular forms of verbs ending in S eg COMMENCES as conundrums on the show. Would be too easy just to spot an 8 then add the S. However same cannot be said for -ING. Sometimes there are irregular verbs such as RESHAPING which aren't as easy to spot. Also sometimes the -ING is thrown in as a double bluff, eg GAUNTRISE.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:eg GAUNTRISE.
Fuck off.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Also sometimes the -ING is thrown in as a double bluff
I think you'll find that's only a single bluff.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Damian has said that he would use a conundrum like MONEYBAGS (because there is no word moneybag) and apterous follows that.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:Damian has said that he would use a conundrum like MONEYBAGS (because there is no word moneybag) and apterous follows that.
I remember OUTSKIRTS being used recently(ish - ie last couple of years) on the show, presumably by similar logic.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jon Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Damian has said that he would use a conundrum like MONEYBAGS (because there is no word moneybag) and apterous follows that.
I remember OUTSKIRTS being used recently(ish - ie last couple of years) on the show, presumably by similar logic.
Didn't LAZYBONES come up on one of Ian Volante's games?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Jon Corby wrote:
Yep I've seen OUTSKIRTS a couple of times.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jon Corby wrote:
Fuck off.
:?:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Fuck off.
:?:
http://www.countdownwiki.com/Episode_4097

It haunts me more than anything else - 30 seconds of staring at the letters going "I know there's hundreds of 8s and probably a 9 here, and I all I can think about is fish fingers".
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote: http://www.countdownwiki.com/Episode_4097

It haunts me more than anything else - 30 seconds of staring at the letters going "I know there's hundreds of 8s and probably a 9 here, and I all I can think about is fish fingers".
All the cool people get their highest score while missing a 9.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

All the cool people get their highest score while missing a 9.
Absolutely agree.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I love how this thread is entitled "A tiny complaint" and is turning out to be one of the biggest threads on here. Nice one.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I love how this thread is entitled "A tiny complaint" and is turning out to be one of the biggest threads on here. Nice one.
Thanks ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I've had GENTLEMEN on Apterous twice now. And missed it both times!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Instead of opening a new thread, I thought I would expand this conundrum-based thread and focus on conundrums that include a forumites name.

I have come across MANGEKIRK and also have had KIRKMANGE :D
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Instead of opening a new thread, I thought I would expand this conundrum-based thread and focus on conundrums that include a forumites name.

MINGEKRAK as an equaller
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I
Yeah I had KIRKMANGE crop up last weekend during my dedicated "Conundrum Shootout Weekend". Due to the scramble it put me off and I didn't solve it. Just like I failed to solve KIRKSNASH at COLIN on a crucial - getting it just after Dan V. had buzzed.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I
Yeah I had KIRKMANGE crop up last weekend during my dedicated "Conundrum Shootout Weekend". Due to the scramble it put me off and I didn't solve it. Just like I failed to solve KIRKSNASH at COLIN on a crucial - getting it just after Dan V. had buzzed.
I believe there is nine 9-letter words that contain the letters K, I, R and K:

BRICKWORK, FRIKKADEL, KALAMKARI, KILDERKIN, KINGMAKER, KIRKYARDS, SHARKSKIN, SHIKKERED, SKERRICKS

Unfortunately though, none will ever appear on the show.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I believe there is nine 9-letter words that contain the letters K, I, R and K:

BRICKWORK, FRIKKADEL, KALAMKARI, KILDERKIN, KINGMAKER, KIRKYARDS, SHARKSKIN, SHIKKERED, SKERRICKS

Why not?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I believe there is nine 9-letter words that contain the letters K, I, R and K:

Why not?
Only one K in the pack. Not sure if they could be used as a conundrum though (someone might make an extra K out of boredom one day).
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:

Why not?
Only one K in the pack. Not sure if they could be used as a conundrum though (someone might make an extra K out of boredom one day).
I'm pretty sure not only have they had a double-K conundrum before but by accident, two Ks once came out not only in the same show, but in the same round, so I'm sure they have some spares. :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Yup s58, Reverend Barry's 8th game. He was beaten on the crucial conundrum MILKSHAKE
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:I'm pretty sure not only have they had a double-K conundrum before but by accident, two Ks once came out not only in the same show, but in the same round, so I'm sure they have some spares. :)
And I think this has been brought up before too, but going by today's conundrum, FLUFFIEST, there were 3 F's used, when there's normally only 2 in the consonant pile IIRC.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:I'm pretty sure not only have they had a double-K conundrum before but by accident, two Ks once came out not only in the same show, but in the same round, so I'm sure they have some spares. :)
And I think this has been brought up before too, but going by today's conundrum, FLUFFIEST, there were 3 F's used, when there's normally only 2 in the consonant pile IIRC.
Sh*t - I checked all forums except for the spoilers forum for a reason, Joseph.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Meh you'd have got it anyway. Piss easy.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Meh you'd have got it anyway. Piss easy.
Yeah, I gave myself the points anyway lol. Don't want it to ruin a good run of centuries..
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Yeah, I gave myself the points anyway lol. Don't want it to ruin a good run of centuries..
You weren't on a century before the conundrum? Sheesh.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
You weren't on a century before the conundrum? Sheesh.
Good point. I got 116 yesterday so I was on 106 before the conundrum but you get my drift.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

When you (Charlie) switched the server off, you wiped out my 1000 round conundrum attack against Prune. Now I have to start again. :cry:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kai Laddiman wrote:When you (Charlie) switched the server off, you wiped out my 1000 round conundrum attack against Prune. Now I have to start again. :cry:
:lol:
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ian Volante wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:When you (Charlie) switched the server off, you wiped out my 1000 round conundrum attack against Prune. Now I have to start again. :cry:
:lol:
:evil:
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

It's almost exactly what my brother said but it wiped out my 100 round numbers game against Prune when I was winninb about 147-15! :cry:
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

^ (The above post was made by Callum)