September's Daily Duel

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

September's Daily Duel

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:Also, each day's Duel now gets a full round-by-round breakdown so you can see how everyone did at a glance: e.g. see http://www.apterous.org/duelresults.php?duel=80 for yesterday's breakdown.
I think that is good that, because it then saves having to check each persons game individually to see how they scored.

Well done to Conor, Damian and Paul for getting 61 out of 63 points in yesterday's duel.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Daily Duel

Post by JimBentley »

I love the Daily Duel, but blimey, today's was a bit brutal. And yet I still quite enjoyed it, in a funny way. The greatness of the Daily Duel is that it can be a different format every day - there's been loads of weird formats that I'd never have tried otherwise, and novelty is always good.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

jimbentley wrote:I love the Daily Duel, but blimey, today's was a bit brutal. And yet I still quite enjoyed it, in a funny way. The greatness of the Daily Duel is that it can be a different format every day - there's been loads of weird formats that I'd never have tried otherwise, and novelty is always good.
Maxes-only is always cruel, but I enjoy the feeling of the game being stacked against me, it makes me feel like Arnie in Predator.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I eagerly await the 5sec max-only hypergoatdown duel. :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:I eagerly await the 5sec max-only hypergoatdown duel. :)
Oh yes. I guess this would be a good place to ask. How do people feel about having things like Goatdown and Hypercountdown in the Duel? My personal opinion is that it's okay as long as there's not more than 1 weird variant per week, but I'm willing to hear opinions.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Goatdown in the duel would be superb. I'm not so keen on hypercountdown, although a hypernundrum duel or somesuch would be interesting.

I quite like the variants as continually having 30 second normal rounds gets a bit boring, I think 3 games with standard rounds and 4 variants (not necessarily weird) per week would be a nice balance, but I suppose everyone will have different opinions on that.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Paul Howe wrote:Goatdown in the duel would be superb. I'm not so keen on hypercountdown, although a hypernundrum duel or somesuch would be interesting.

I quite like the variants as continually having 30 second normal rounds gets a bit boring, I think 3 games with standard rounds and 4 variants (not necessarily weird) per week would be a nice balance, but I suppose everyone will have different opinions on that.
I'm certainly planning to keep the variability in the round formats, round length and scoring system, because that makes it interesting and still tests basically the same skills. But Goatdown tests something a bit different, and Hyper is just weird, so I can see why people might object to those.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'm all for the spice of life :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The more variants the better.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Erm... how did a couple of people manage to score 10 in yesterday's Daily Duel? It was one normal round.... :?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Jon Corby wrote:Erm... how did a couple of people manage to score 10 in yesterday's Daily Duel? It was one normal round.... :?
If you don't score in the first round it gets interpreted as a 0-0 draw between you and the duellist and so a tiebreaking crucial conundrum is required to resolve it.

Me and Karen cleverly realised this would happen and skipped the first round to get our hands on the 10 points and victory, but were foiled by the presence of the 9.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Paul Howe wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Erm... how did a couple of people manage to score 10 in yesterday's Daily Duel? It was one normal round.... :?
If you don't score in the first round it gets interpreted as a 0-0 draw between you and the duellist and so a tiebreaking crucial conundrum is required to resolve it.

Me and Karen cleverly realised this would happen and skipped the first round to get our hands on the 10 points and victory, but were foiled by the presence of the 9.
Lol, funny :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Haha. I thought my performance was fairly impressive too.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Jon Corby wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:

Lol, funny :)
Obviously!!! No, way I'd have failed to put SOMETHING down!!! Not me!!!