September's Daily Duel

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Post Reply
User avatar
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:19 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

September's Daily Duel

Post by Joseph Bolas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:Also, each day's Duel now gets a full round-by-round breakdown so you can see how everyone did at a glance: e.g. see http://www.apterous.org/duelresults.php?duel=80 for yesterday's breakdown.
I think that is good that, because it then saves having to check each persons game individually to see how they scored.

Well done to Conor, Damian and Paul for getting 61 out of 63 points in yesterday's duel.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2659
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Daily Duel

Post by JimBentley » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:15 pm

I love the Daily Duel, but blimey, today's was a bit brutal. And yet I still quite enjoyed it, in a funny way. The greatness of the Daily Duel is that it can be a different format every day - there's been loads of weird formats that I'd never have tried otherwise, and novelty is always good.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:35 pm

jimbentley wrote:I love the Daily Duel, but blimey, today's was a bit brutal. And yet I still quite enjoyed it, in a funny way. The greatness of the Daily Duel is that it can be a different format every day - there's been loads of weird formats that I'd never have tried otherwise, and novelty is always good.
Maxes-only is always cruel, but I enjoy the feeling of the game being stacked against me, it makes me feel like Arnie in Predator.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3798
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Ben Wilson » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:39 pm

I eagerly await the 5sec max-only hypergoatdown duel. :)

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:00 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:I eagerly await the 5sec max-only hypergoatdown duel. :)
Oh yes. I guess this would be a good place to ask. How do people feel about having things like Goatdown and Hypercountdown in the Duel? My personal opinion is that it's okay as long as there's not more than 1 weird variant per week, but I'm willing to hear opinions.

Paul Howe
Kiloposter
Posts: 1067
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Paul Howe » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:19 am

Goatdown in the duel would be superb. I'm not so keen on hypercountdown, although a hypernundrum duel or somesuch would be interesting.

I quite like the variants as continually having 30 second normal rounds gets a bit boring, I think 3 games with standard rounds and 4 variants (not necessarily weird) per week would be a nice balance, but I suppose everyone will have different opinions on that.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Charlie Reams » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:54 am

Paul Howe wrote:Goatdown in the duel would be superb. I'm not so keen on hypercountdown, although a hypernundrum duel or somesuch would be interesting.

I quite like the variants as continually having 30 second normal rounds gets a bit boring, I think 3 games with standard rounds and 4 variants (not necessarily weird) per week would be a nice balance, but I suppose everyone will have different opinions on that.
I'm certainly planning to keep the variability in the round formats, round length and scoring system, because that makes it interesting and still tests basically the same skills. But Goatdown tests something a bit different, and Hyper is just weird, so I can see why people might object to those.

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:29 am

I'm all for the spice of life :)

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4153
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Jon O'Neill » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:41 pm

The more variants the better.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7918
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Jon Corby » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:48 pm

Erm... how did a couple of people manage to score 10 in yesterday's Daily Duel? It was one normal round.... :?

Paul Howe
Kiloposter
Posts: 1067
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Paul Howe » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:30 am

Jon Corby wrote:Erm... how did a couple of people manage to score 10 in yesterday's Daily Duel? It was one normal round.... :?
If you don't score in the first round it gets interpreted as a 0-0 draw between you and the duellist and so a tiebreaking crucial conundrum is required to resolve it.

Me and Karen cleverly realised this would happen and skipped the first round to get our hands on the 10 points and victory, but were foiled by the presence of the 9.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7918
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Jon Corby » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:51 am

Paul Howe wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Erm... how did a couple of people manage to score 10 in yesterday's Daily Duel? It was one normal round.... :?
If you don't score in the first round it gets interpreted as a 0-0 draw between you and the duellist and so a tiebreaking crucial conundrum is required to resolve it.

Me and Karen cleverly realised this would happen and skipped the first round to get our hands on the 10 points and victory, but were foiled by the presence of the 9.
Lol, funny :)

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:54 am

Haha. I thought my performance was fairly impressive too.

User avatar
Karen Pearson
Devotee
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Bromsgrove

Re: Daily Duel

Post by Karen Pearson » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:00 am

Jon Corby wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Erm... how did a couple of people manage to score 10 in yesterday's Daily Duel? It was one normal round.... :?

Me and Karen cleverly realised this would happen and skipped the first round to get our hands on the 10 points and victory, but were foiled by the presence of the 9.
Lol, funny :)
Obviously!!! No, way I'd have failed to put SOMETHING down!!! Not me!!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests