Novembers's Daily Duel

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Re: Novembers's Daily Duel

Post by Julie T »

Each to their own, I suppose. I just find them bloomin' annoying, so I avoid them now.
I still also find it deeply suspicious that some people get within a couple of points off the max in a really tricky format. So I don't play, that's that.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote:I still also find it deeply suspicious that some people get within a couple of points off the max in a really tricky format.
Ah, accuse Kirk of cheating. That should escalate the discussion!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote:I still also find it deeply suspicious that some people get within a couple of points off the max in a really tricky format.
Ha - I was discussing this last night. I didn't risk COATIS in one round because I couldn't remember if all the letters were there so played safe. I was pleased to have such a high score in a 5 second blind duel - especially the conundrum spots.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I'll happily take Kirk on in real-life blind 3-second rounds. In fact, don't worry about telling us the letters, we'll play 1-second rounds without them.

I've got EXOPHORIC. You?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I'll happily take Kirk on in real-life blind 3-second rounds. In fact, don't worry about telling us the letters, we'll play 1-second rounds without them.

I've got EXOPHORIC. You?
Errr...mate...it was the numbers game.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon O'Neill wrote:we'll play 1-second rounds without them.
That would be a great variant. Maybe some of the letters could be printed on red balls too.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

I've gotten to quite like the different duels. Often I don't do very well (that's a BIG understatement :oops: :oops: ) but it is quite a nice way of getting used to the different formats before playing a full game of them.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jon O'Neill wrote: I'll happily take Kirk on in real-life blind 3-second rounds. In fact, don't worry about telling us the letters, we'll play 1-second rounds without them.

I've got EXOPHORIC. You?
:lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Interesting results today; two unmaxed rounds, as no one got TEETHE or CETACEANS, and a first win for Joseph Bolas.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:Interesting results today; two unmaxed rounds, as no one got TEETHE or CETACEANS, and a first win for Joseph Bolas.
Hmm interesting that I was the only one to get the 8 in round 1 when PLUMERIAS was a 9 in COGST IIRC.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:Interesting results today; two unmaxed rounds, as no one got TEETHE or CETACEANS, and a first win for Joseph Bolas.
I definitely wasn't expecting to see that. If there was a numbers game in there, then I most definitely wouldn't have won that duel, so I was lucky yesterday.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Only I and Ian Volante got STOPGAP as well. I thought it was the hardest letters duel I've ever done. I liked today's numbers duel though; I won't make any further comment on it.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:I liked today's numbers duel though; I won't make any further comment on it.
Yep, more like that please.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I liked today's numbers duel though; I won't make any further comment on it.
I actually second this. The format of today's duel was fun indeed :D
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I actually second this. The format of today's duel was fun indeed :D
I didn't like it too much- too many people are going to get similar scores.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I didn't like it too much- too many people are going to get similar scores.
Another great prediction from Mystic Bevins! With scores ranging from 24 to 94 of a possible 100, it's one of the widest spreads we've ever had... Interestingly enough, no one beat Kirk in any round.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I didn't like it too much- too many people are going to get similar scores.
Another great prediction from Mystic Bevins! With scores ranging from 24 to 94 of a possible 100, it's one of the widest spreads we've ever had... Interestingly enough, no one beat Kirk in any round.
OK, I admit I was wrong. If you're going to have numbers rounds in duels then, make them challenging so you do indeed get a large standard deviation.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I don't see the point in having a numbers based duel and then spoiling it with a shitty conundrum. I know they all end in conundrums, but this one annoyed me.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I don't see the point in having a numbers based duel and then spoiling it with a shitty conundrum. I know they all end in conundrums, but this one annoyed me.
Ha - bitter? In fact looking at POTPOURRI in the dictionary and the example they give with it, they state it as POT-POURRI! Make your mind up ODE2r...
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:I don't see the point in having a numbers based duel and then spoiling it with a shitty conundrum. I know they all end in conundrums, but this one annoyed me.
Ha - bitter? In fact looking at POTPOURRI in the dictionary and the example they give with it, they state it as POT-POURRI! Make your mind up ODE2r...
I didn't get this, I wouldn't even have known it was one word. I was pissed off about the 967 as well because I got it just as the time was ending, and couldn't type in '967' in the box. Still...
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
I didn't get this, I wouldn't even have known it was one word. I was pissed off about the 967 as well because I got it just as the time was ending, and couldn't type in '967' in the box. Still...
If you got the target exact, you did know you can just click the target to declare it?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:If you got the target exact, you did know you can just click the target to declare it?
Damn.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I agree. They all currently end in conundrums, but there's no need for that to always be the case.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was a little bit annoyed that I threw away an easy 7 in the numbers duel by not getting round to declaring one away in time. 81 looks a lot better than 74. And it would have meant that only two people would have beaten me on the numbers rounds (Kirk and Jon).
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
I like numbers rounds (just not only one round! :lol: )
Shame I missed that one as my computer fecked up on Friday. Luckily my eldest 2 sons rescued it over the weekend! 8-)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Martin Gardner wrote:Only I and Ian Volante got STOPGAP as well. I thought it was the hardest letters duel I've ever done. I liked today's numbers duel though; I won't make any further comment on it.
I was quite pleased with that spot, one of the later ones too.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

A first win for Frank :) BAYONETED is a really top-notch spot, so respect to those of you who got that. Oddly enough only 5 people didn't get BOOKSHELF; Frank, and the 4 people who finished bottom. Funny game.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:Oddly enough only 5 people didn't get BOOKSHELF
I got it at the last moment having only been able to see FLESHBOOK for about 28 secs. Which probably tells you more about me than is good for you to know.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Charlie Reams wrote:A first win for Frank :) BAYONETED is a really top-notch spot, so respect to those of you who got that. Oddly enough only 5 people didn't get BOOKSHELF; Frank, and the 4 people who finished bottom. Funny game.
How sad is it, that I am still upset about missing that one? (I actually even made a comment about it, when I finished the game.) :oops:
Frank
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I was stuck with BOOKFLESH for about 20 seconds...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Ian Volante wrote:I was stuck with BOOKFLESH for about 20 seconds...
I saw BOOKSHELF just as the clock ran out :oops:
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

I do think Ben Hunter deserves extra praise for being the only one to get SURPASS in round 18, when no one else even got the 6 that - according to CountMAX - was also available!
Frank
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Frank Rodolf wrote:I do think Ben Hunter deserves extra praise for being the only one to get SURPASS in round 18, when no one else even got the 6 that - according to CountMAX - was also available!
Thanks Frank :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Looks like Apterous Bevins will sweep this month's top spot with ease, although the battle for second and third places is still on. Kirk is one of only three players (with Martin Gardner and Gareth Mitchell) to have played every Duel this month.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think yesterday's duel highlighted to me how awkward short numbers round are. You want to spend the time thinking about how to solve it, but if you decide you're going to miss the target you have to commit very early to that and I find it annoying. I missed about three scores because of being fractionally too slow.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I have played every time possible, and due to computer muck-ups and usage restrictions, I have played about 2. It sucks.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:Looks like Apterous Bevins will sweep this month's top spot with ease, although the battle for second and third places is still on. Kirk is one of only three players (with Martin Gardner and Gareth Mitchell) to have played every Duel this month.
I don't suppose you are up to doing a themed month for December, where every game is of a particular variation, for example, have a month where all games are of Goatdown variation, etc?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote: I don't suppose you are up to doing a themed month for December, where every game is of a particular variation, for example, have a month where all games are of Goatdown variation, etc?
There is something fun lined up for December, but you'll have to play to find out what :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote: I don't suppose you are up to doing a themed month for December, where every game is of a particular variation, for example, have a month where all games are of Goatdown variation, etc?
There is something fun lined up for December, but you'll have to play to find out what :)
Sounds exciting, I can't wait :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I was quite pleased to be one of only 3 people who got MICTURATE, even if I was also one of 3 people to go for DEFINITES*.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Charlie Reams wrote:I was quite pleased to be one of only 3 people who got MICTURATE, even if I was also one of 3 people to go for DEFINITES*.
Yep, very nice find indeed!

I was surprised that only one other person (Joseph) got redeposit. Guess there are not a lot of online poker players or gamblers on here. ;)
Frank
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I had to race back last night to make sure I did the daily duel. I started it at 11:50pm, did speed rounds of 10-15 seconds each and managed to finish about 11:55pm. Phew. With that then, I was pleased to be the only one with a 5 in one round, AFARA, thinking it'd be a winner, but Frank was the only one with the maximum 6 of BAZAAR.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I was pleased to come 3rd in yesterdays duel.

I thought that I had a 9 with ORIGAMIST (which I thought would've been allowed as a term for someone who does origami), but was disappointed to find it's not allowed. I did spot REDEPOSIT though (which only myself and Frank got), so I guess that makes up for it :D.

Today's duel was fun, but because of the simplicity of some of the rounds and the fact I missed about 3 easy numbers (by keying in the solution wrongly), I think this will be my worst score (position-wise) for the month.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Frank Rodolf wrote:I was surprised that only one other person (Joseph) got redeposit. Guess there are not a lot of online poker players or gamblers on here. ;)
I had a total nightmare yesterday. Went for UNMAILED early on, even though I had a nasty feeling that I'd had it disallowed before, then I saw REDEPOSIT but decided it was too risky, then completely missed MICTURATE despite knowing the word. So, when DEFINITES came up I was determined not to miss another 9 - but it wasn't in. :( I then managed to top it all off by missing the piss-easy BARITONES/OBTAINERS :oops:

Not played today's Duel yet but it can't possibly go as badly as that. Can it?
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

jimbentley wrote:Not played today's Duel yet but it can't possibly go as badly as that. Can it?
Only if you forget your numbers. ;)
Frank
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:I was quite pleased to be one of only 3 people who got MICTURATE, even if I was also one of 3 people to go for DEFINITES*.
Surprising DEFINITES isn't in.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Congratulations Kirk on a fantastic month, I lost track of how many individual wins you racked up but you've been head and shoulders above everyone else, and played every single duel with incredible consistency. Looks likely that Jono and Martin Gardner will hold on to 2nd and 3rd respectively, unless something bizarre happens today, so congrats to them too. And a final hats off to Junaid whose records for the month reads: 1 entry, 1 win!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

It broke for me today. Tried to close it and restart due to the 120s time and an early wrong guess, and it just disappeared. Hmph.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Well done to Kirk for a decisive victory. And well done to me for two consecutive days of missing a round absolutely everyone else got.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Is today's meant to be a time challenge or what?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Is today's meant to be a time challenge or what?
Probably in the wrong thread now :)
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Charlie Reams wrote: And a final hats off to Junaid whose records for the month reads: 1 entry, 1 win!
Admittedly I only did this one 'cos it was a numbers attack. Pretty sure this perfect record would not exist if I'd tried any of the others. Always happy to receive praise though, even if it's undue, so keep it coming!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Is there a link to the final November rankings? I can't find one.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote:Is there a link to the final November rankings? I can't find one.
There probably should be, but not currently.