People quitting games when they're losing

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Matthew Green
Devotee

People quitting games when they're losing

Post by Matthew Green »

This is just appalling etiquette! Some dickhead today called Chris Maudsley (if you're reading Chris, you're seriously pathetic) quit a game and then admitted it and even goaded his opponent about it, he's done it to me as well.

Would it be possible to award the points to the winning player, or better still, just ban this c*untdown fan from playing?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Re: People quitting games when they're losing

Post by Keith Bevins »

This has happened twice when playing Chris. The first time i assumed a crash and upon re-entering the resume option not appearing. The second time I was suspicious but having read Matthews post it appears that he did the same to me.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Just don't play him again if you don't agree with the ethics of it. It's even more childish for someone to come in here squealing about it than is for someone to quit a game.

:roll:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

P.S. the winning player gets the points anyway.
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

I take your point jon and fully agree with you and won't be playing him again but if it didn't get highlighted he could keep spoiling games for others.Btw my rating nor game counter altered when he quit.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Just don't play him again if you don't agree with the ethics of it. It's even more childish for someone to come in here squealing about it than is for someone to quit a game.

:roll:
I know but it sort of ruins it for people and might put people off playing. I also felt like self-harming as I had got 2 9s and was on for a big score when he pussied out.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I have considered doing something like the MSN Hearts network, where a human who drops out gets replaced by a (fairly weak) bot. That way a good score can never be spoiled by the opponent quitting the game.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:P.S. the winning player gets the points anyway.
As in the person in the lead? But what happens if it's later resumed? Also people could sneakily quit after being ahead early on.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Before the person who quit the game can challenge their opponent again, they either have to resume or resign the game. Soon enough they'll end up with nobody to play against if they don't forfeit the games.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I played a game with Chris today. I started with a 9, unusual for me! :D
He didn't give up, but clawed his way back. It could've gone either way up to round 14:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=7999
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I don't know about anyone else, but I just find it easier to play against the computers.

You can play them any time of day, they don't stall picking letters/declaring words and you can end rounds earlier and have quicker games :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I just find it easier to play against the computers.

You can play them any time of day, they don't stall picking letters/declaring words and you can end rounds earlier and have quicker games :)
But offering SIDALCEA against a computer feels shit as they can't appreciate what you've done, particularly if they throw CASELOAD back in your face. A human opponent is much better for chat value.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Richard Brittain disappeared on me in a game I was winning today. Benefit of the doubt, and maybe he was at work and the boss was coming, or does he often do this?
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I just find it easier to play against the computers.

And if you pick a piss easy opponent all the time you'll never lose. Goatdown is more fun against a computer due its discombobulatingly good final letter picking ability.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Julie T wrote:Richard Brittain disappeared on me in a game I was winning today. Benefit of the doubt, and maybe he was at work and the boss was coming, or does he often do this?
Did it to me last night. Maybe a no-play list like ISC would be a good idea.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Paul Howe wrote:

And if you pick a piss easy opponent all the time you'll never lose. Goatdown is more fun against a computer due its discombobulatingly good final letter picking ability.
But then again hypergoatdown usually leaves you disembowelled- that said though, both hypers are really more of a bonus when compared to, say, goatdown.

Back OT, a no-play list= good.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:

I do plan to work my way up the bots and get quite good :)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Julie T wrote:Richard Brittain disappeared on me in a game I was winning today. Benefit of the doubt, and maybe he was at work and the boss was coming, or does he often do this?
Chatted to him on apterous today, apparently his laptop computer crashed. He disappeared today before we managed to start a game, so perhaps it happened again.
He pointed out that he's a series winner - so an achievement for me to almost beat him! :)