Apterous World Cup 2014 - Final recap

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Apterous World Cup 2014 - Final recap

Post by Matt Morrison »

Previously: Announcement | Qualifying | Group Stage | Group stage & Round of 16 | Half Time Team Talk

All done now. Things kind of went tits up with the delays at the Round of 16, and the whole thing felt to me like it lost momentum.
Even I forgot to turn up for the final, which is the kind of embarrassing disorganisation that only someone capable of coming so close to the award of a spoon of awesome without quite achieving it could manage.

Final recap
Let's look back via Excel screenshot:

So, joyfully, we continued the pretty decent level of accuracy we saw in the group stages, to some extent through out the whole knockout stages but undeniably for the final itself, with the same participants and overall result as the real World Cup.

Other stats
I really wanted to add something else, I'm just not sure if it makes any sense to do so.

Top scorer unsurprisingly was Jack. It had to be one of the final four really as they all play the maximum number of games.
Of those four only James won a match beyond 90 minutes, and picked up 10 goals AET against England in the round of 16.
With those winning penalties obviously not counting, that brought him just a single goal behind Jack - so it was close but Jack takes it with 48 total goals.

I'm not sure anything else will be any more interesting - average goals per game and best goal difference are surely going to go the same way, though I haven't bothered checking.

Thanks then!
Overall was still a great tournament despite the petering out effect that I may or may not have made up in my own head.
Thanks for taking part - was great to have everyone on board with pictures and stuff this year, made me and I'm sure all you lot happy to see the complete set too.

I'll be back in 2 years with the Euros I guess! x
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Apterous World Cup 2014 - Final recap

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I enjoyed it.