Q and Z together

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Q and Z together

Post by Ian Volante »

I've no idea if this is just my brain spotting a pattern where there isn't one, but I'm noticing quite often that Q and Z will appear in the same selection. Has anybody else noticed this, and if so, am I slightly vindicated at least?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Re: Q and Z together

Post by Ben Hunter »

I was thinking the same thing earlier.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Q, X and Z (and also J)

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ian Volante wrote:I've no idea if this is just my brain spotting a pattern where there isn't one, but I'm noticing quite often that Q and Z will appear in the same selection. Has anybody else noticed this, and if so, am I slightly vindicated at least?
Looking at your games played in the last two days (22nd and 23rd), you've had various combos using the Q and Z, and even the X as well. I spotted:

2 selections with Q and X in. (#6888 and #6896)
2 selections with Q and Z in. (#7024 and #7045)
2 selections with X and Z in. (#6884 and #7029)

You've also had one selection with J, Q and Z in it (#7035) and even one game, where the only letter out of the 4 (J, Q, X and Z) to come out was the J (#7041).

Looking at that, there may well be a pattern, but I don't think there will be.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Q, X and Z (and also J)

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I've no idea if this is just my brain spotting a pattern where there isn't one, but I'm noticing quite often that Q and Z will appear in the same selection. Has anybody else noticed this, and if so, am I slightly vindicated at least?
Looking at your games played in the last two days (22nd and 23rd), you've had various combos using the Q and Z, and even the X as well. I spotted:

You've also had one selection with J, Q and Z in it (#7035) and even one game, where the only letter out of the 4 (J, Q, X and Z) to come out was the J (#7041).

Wow - you have FAR too much time on your hands.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Q, X and Z (and also J)

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:

Wow - you have FAR too much time on your hands.
I know :(. I am trying to get work, but I ain't having much luck.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

It's possible that I twiddled something in the shuffling code (intended to keep Q and Z apart) and ended up getting it arse-backwards. I might look into this over the weekend. In the meantime I will just call it good practice for Q+Z words.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:It's possible that I twiddled something in the shuffling code (intended to keep Q and Z apart) and ended up getting it arse-backwards. I might look into this over the weekend. In the meantime I will just call it good practice for Q+Z words.
Isn't it enough that the letters are randomised without trying to restrict what comes up with what?

Then again, that's what they do for the telly isn't it?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:Isn't it enough that the letters are randomised without trying to restrict what comes up with what?

Yes.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ian Volante wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:It's possible that I twiddled something in the shuffling code (intended to keep Q and Z apart) and ended up getting it arse-backwards. I might look into this over the weekend. In the meantime I will just call it good practice for Q+Z words.
Isn't it enough that the letters are randomised without trying to restrict what comes up with what?

I have noticed on Countdown that sometimes the M's are grouped together and will come out in successive rounds. Sometimes it also happens with the P's too.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I have noticed that recently the harder letters (J, Q, X and Z) usually seem to come out second. Is it just my 10cm vision or has anyone else noticed this?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I have noticed that recently the harder letters (J, Q, X and Z) usually seem to come out second. Is it just my 10cm vision or has anyone else noticed this?
Second within a given round? Or second out of the whole pile? The first case is unlikely because the whole pile is shuffled at the start and obviously the position of the letters within each round depends on how many consonants you picked in the earlier rounds.