aptoSOS.04

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

aptoSOS.04

Post by Matt Morrison »

Series 3 currently has a handful of games left to play, the finals will then go into the system immediately and the nature of (the) finalists mean we shouldn't get many delays in crowning our new champion.

Will then start sign-ups for Series 4. I would hope to close them as soon as possible (based on number of signups being approximately to a similar level as previous series). Hopefully at this point the tournament landscape will be cool for starting playing.

For now consider this thread a means to make any suggestions, comments or criticisms about how series 3 has gone so far or how you'd like series 4 to.

Obviously I aim to be a little more punctual and organised with each series, that's my main goal. I think the current time limit (7 days + 2 timeout) has worked pretty well, and I don't think anyone who ended up getting timed out would be angry about the way it happened or indeed would have been likely to play with a longer time limit.

Signup: http://www.apterous.org/to_tourney.php?tourney=1205
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: aptoSOS.04

Post by Charlie Reams »

If anything I would look at a shorter time limit. In most cases people could've played faster than they did because they relied on running into their opponent rather than fixing a time. Provided you state the limit clearly at the start, no one can feel too aggrieved, and it's to the benefit of everyone else to keep things ticking over.

I would also automatically eliminate and skip anyone who hasn't logged in for a month when their time comes up.

(PS. SOCOC after this series??)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I was hoping someone might call for a shorter time limit. It crossed my mind but I didn't have the balls to suggest it!

Agree to all you say, and thanks for input!
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I joined apterous midway through .03 so I'm not sure exactly how these things work: can I apply for this series, even though I was in .03? Or do you have to sit out a series?
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah they aren't regular enough (mostly the fact I'm not organised enough, partly just the way tournament setup takes much longer than planned) so each series is open entry to all, regardless of the participation or result (at one point I mooted "finalists excluded for the next series") in the previous one.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I'd say 5 days would be fair. Chances are then if you're only a weekend player, you'll still have a day to get it done in - also I'm pretty sure if someone said to you "I'm in the office all week and won't be on - can I play it on Saturday" you're not going to be too ruthless a tyrant.

Other suggestions: STOP GIVING ME FUCKING INNIS IN THE DRAW :evil:

:P
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Any thoughts on switching to the new 15 format? I'm fairly indifferent but I suppose it seems logical.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Charlie Reams wrote:Any thoughts on switching to the new 15 format? I'm fairly indifferent but I suppose it seems logical.
Please do! I dislike Old 15s immensely! Or we could go to the 9 round with 14 finals?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Any thoughts on switching to the new 15 format? I'm fairly indifferent but I suppose it seems logical.
Please do! I dislike Old 15s immensely! Or we could go to the 9 round with 14 finals?

Seeming as it's a simulation of more current series, it would seem more apt to just go for the current 15R's. It's also probably the more preferred option.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Yeah agree with Ropey. If it's a simulation of a series, then it should follow the format of the series. Plus, if it has the effect of pissing Rhys off, then even better.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hadn't even considered it, but only because I don't play any more and forget about these things - it absolutely is, and always would have been, the new 15.

Oh, and we're almost ready for signups I think.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Zarte Siempre wrote:Yeah agree with Ropey. If it's a simulation of a series, then it should follow the format of the series. Plus, if it has the effect of pissing Rhys off, then even better.
I prefer new 15s to old 15s, but 9s trump the set.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Edited OP to include signup link as I'd forgot to publish it before.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

MORE SIGNUPS PLEASE! Let's at least get to 50 (still low-ish) before we start...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

And we have begun. JR begins on 3 wins (314 points), and he may well stay there (wins at least, less likely points) as Innis is first out of the bag. Should be a good one!

Will accept signups for another couple of weeks, but no longer than the end of August at latest.

http://www.apterous.org/to_tourney.php?tourney=1205