Countdown in Lincoln 2013- Saturday 26th January

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Countdown in Lincoln 2013- Saturday 26th January

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hello all you beautiful people

It's the time of the year again for me to announce that for the ninth time, COLIN is back!

A wise man once said 'not a lot about COLIN needs changing' but that doesn't mean I'm content to rest on what few laurels I have. The venue is unchanged- the Memorial Hall on Newark Road in North Hykeham, and more importantly, the Fox & Hounds on Newark Road in North Hykeham for the afterparty- and as before, most who enter will play 6 games of 9-round Countdown Edinbrguh-style (three to a table, two playing, one hosting, then rotate so everyone gets a turn. Same as previous COLIN and Co:Lons/CoBlivi:Lons).

Last year, for the first time ever, COLIN had a final play-off match between the top two finishers. This will be the case this year, and depending on the number of entries, we may have semi-finals as well! As always, the top 5 will receive prizes (top 6 if semi-finals are needed) and there will again be prizes for those performing highest above their projected finish. But there are additional prizes to be had...

Last year's 'conundrum god' badges will return- Matt Bayfield and Rob Foster solved 5 and 6 out of 6 conundrums respectively to earn these unique items, and anybody getting 5 or more conundrums on the day (not counting sudden-death conundrums) will get them too!

The 'Tuff Luck' prize (that was also won by Matt Bayfield last year) will also return. Everyone who loses three or more games throughout the day will have their losing margins totted up, and the person with the smallest combined losing margin gets the prize (only the three narrowest losing games are counted).

And thirdly, as this is the ninth COLIN and nine is, well, a signifcant number when it comes to the game, there's the special niner prize. Everyone who gets a nine letter word throughout the day will be given a raffle ticket, and at the end of the day, whoever has the winning number will be awarded a special custom-made trophy (that hasn't been made yet, but will be soon. Honest). Obviously, the more niners you get, the more chances you have of winning.

And of course, everyone who enters will get special freebies, including the latest edition of the some-loved COLIN puzzle magazine!

The cost of entry is a piffling £10, either by paypal to hulla.mahulla@btopenworld.com or by cheque to my home address (which will be made available privately on request).

Further details will be posted here, or on the facebook page here.

Full itinerary for the day:

10:00 doors open
11:35 welcome (officially)
11:50 round 1
13:10 lunch
14:00 round 2
15:20 break
15:40 round 3
17:00 semi-finals if needed, otherwise grand final
17:25 grand final if semi-finals were played
17:45 prizegiving

If the times above are problematic for people who want to attend, let me know and I'll see if I can't jiggle around a little.

Many thanks, and hope to see you all in January!

BJW

Current List of paid up entrants (47):

Jon O'Neill
Jennifer Steadman
James Robinson
Edward McCullagh
Graeme Cole
Heather Styles
Mike Brown
Jon Corby
Ryan Taylor
Michelle Nevitt
Amie Bateen
Dan McColm
Dinos Sfyris
Richard Priest
Gevin Chapwell
Jayne Wisniewski
Phil Collinge
Supee Juachan
Andy Platt
Lauren Hamer
Matt Bayfield
Keith Walton
Mark Deeks
Rob Gibney
Stewart Gordon
Zarte Siempre
Chris Marshall
Thomas Cappleman
Rose Boyle
Michael Cullen
Nathan Cullen
Matt Morrison
Thomas Carey
Joseph Krol
Gregor Morgan
Julie Russell
Andy McGurn
Rekha Prasad
Tracey Mills
Lee Fisher
Dylan Taylor
Mark Tournoff
Jack Worsley
Paul Worsley
Rob Foster
Dave Coulthurst
Conor Travers
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Countdown in Lincoln 2013- Saturday 26th January

Post by Jon O'Neill »

PAID.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Also paid. Who needs uni when you can do your drinking on the other side of the country with a bunch of anagrammers?
Last edited by Jennifer Steadman on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Ben Wilson wrote:It's the time of the year again for me to announce that for the ninth time, COLIN is back!
Ben Wilson wrote:And thirdly, as this is the ninth COLIN
Call me a pedant if you like, but if this is the ninth COLIN, then it's only the eighth time of being back.
Ben Wilson wrote:10:00 doors open
11:35 welcome (officially)
11:50 round 1
13:10 lunch
14:00 round 2
15:20 break
15:40 round 3
17:00 semi-finals if needed, otherwise grand final
17:25 grand final if semi-finals were played
17:45 prizegiving
What? No exhibition game this time round?

Anyway I'll probably be there as usual, assuming my cousin doesn't decide to throw a big do for her 25th...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

PAID. Bring it on (and hope that Huddersfield Town aren't in FA Cup 4th round action that weekend.)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Just sent £10 by PayPal to enter a co-event. For the second time this weekend.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I don't have to pay, do I?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:I don't have to pay, do I?
Nope, top 3 from last year all get in free, and as always, the top 3 from 2013 will get free entry to the 2014 event.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Nope, top 3 from last year all get in free, and as always, the top 3 from 2013 will get free entry to the 2014 event.
And Michelle Nevitt.

Well I'm definitely coming, so you can either add me to the 'paid' list, or you can start a new list with a more accurate title please :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:
And Michelle Nevitt.
I think Ryan might have something to say about next year's top 3 getting Michelle.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Nope, top 3 from last year all get in free, and as always, the top 3 from 2013 will get free entry to the 2014 event.
And Michelle Nevitt.
I think Ryan might have something to say about next year's top 3 getting Michelle.
Arf!

Now to sit and wait for Travelodge's £19 room sale again...

Incidentally, I just checked and currently it's £42.95 per night for the Friday and Saturday. I then noticed there was a "group booking" thing for groups of 10 or more, so I clicked that and it came up as £1,089.50, or £49.95 per night. Seeing as we probably took up ten rooms last time, this is probably worth thinking about, if everyone doesn't mind paying £7 an extra per room per night.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I take it the last bit was sarcastic? "this is probably worth thinking about, if everyone doesn't mind paying £7 an extra per room per night." Looking at last year's thread, the special prices were available on 24th November, so I presume it will be around the same time this year?

Are people staying for both nights again? And are we doing the train thing like last year?

By the way, I can't remember where I came last year, so I'll presume I came in the top three and that I get free entry.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I take it the last bit was sarcastic? "this is probably worth thinking about, if everyone doesn't mind paying £7 an extra per room per night."
Yeah, it seemed a bit retarded. Basically, it saves you a few mouse-clicks over booking the rooms individually. And you pay £140 for that minor assistance.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Coincidentally, I have just received an email from Travelodge saying that loads of £12 rooms go on sale at 6am tomorrow morning for stays between Jan and Mar 2013.

Perfect.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I take it the last bit was sarcastic? "this is probably worth thinking about, if everyone doesn't mind paying £7 an extra per room per night."
Yeah, it seemed a bit retarded. Basically, it saves you a few mouse-clicks over booking the rooms individually. And you pay £140 for that minor assistance.
Pah! They've got nothing on Virgin Atlantic! Currently you can get a Premium Economy ticket from Gatwick to Cancun for £790 return (in January - hence my annual absence from CoLin) but, if you use their Miles and Money scheme, whereby you give up some of your hard-earned reward points in return for a 'discount', you can get the same trip for just £1200 (as well as handing over 7,500 reward points)! Bargain!!!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:Coincidentally, I have just received an email from Travelodge saying that loads of £12 rooms go on sale at 6am tomorrow morning for stays between Jan and Mar 2013.

Perfect.
Load of rubbish, no £12 rooms on our days (Sat is £19, Fri £29, so basically double what I paid last time).

Think I'll hold out and see if they do a Christmas sale again...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Booked! But only for the Saturday night. The Friday night sale rate was coming up as £29.00 and then the Saturday was £19.50. But then strangely if you just did a normal search without following their nice big red 'Price Drop' link it came up as £19.00. Strange.

Also, strange is the fact that almost all of the dates prior to the Friday and Saturday were at £12.00 so maybe they know about the COLIN events. Strange.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Booked! But only for the Saturday night. The Friday night sale rate was coming up as £29.00 and then the Saturday was £19.50. But then strangely if you just did a normal search without following their nice big red 'Price Drop' link it came up as £19.00. Strange.

Also, strange is the fact that almost all of the dates prior to the Friday and Saturday were at £12.00 so maybe they know about the COLIN events.
Nah, the Friday prior was £39. The £12 ones just seemed to be Sundays and the first few days of the New Year, which are presumably quiet days usually (I'm guessing). If you clicked through to book on the £19.50 one it came up as £19 for me as well, I noticed that. I'm holding out for a Christmas sale again, that's when we picked up the £12 rooms last time. Hopefully if they do another promotion, there'll still be plenty of rooms left so they'll mark it down - it doesn't help when dickheads like you panic and book up this early. We all need to stick together here to drive the price down, you pussy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Booked! But only for the Saturday night. The Friday night sale rate was coming up as £29.00 and then the Saturday was £19.50. But then strangely if you just did a normal search without following their nice big red 'Price Drop' link it came up as £19.00. Strange.

Also, strange is the fact that almost all of the dates prior to the Friday and Saturday were at £12.00 so maybe they know about the COLIN events. Strange.
The nearby Travelodges come up as £19 for the Friday (instead of £29), so they definitely know about COLIN. It's a different story on the Saturday though. Our one is £19, but newark North Muskham is £29, so I can only assume that there's another CO-event happening there as well.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Things are starting to take shape for this- http://www.nebagram.co.uk/trophies.jpg
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Count me in Ben :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Count me in Ben :)
Done. :) 14 and counting so far- obviously there's no rush just yet, but the earlier I get entry money, the faster I can buy prizes and freebies, so if you are thinking of entering, why wait(Gevin)?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Count me in. Will Paypal you during the week.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mark Deeks wrote:Count me in. Will Paypal you during the week.
Good man. Will add your name to the list once received.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

It is with deep regret that I will have to miss my first COLIN ever due to the heavy snow.

Actually I've qualified for a darts tournament on the same date with guaranteed prize money so this takes precedence. Good luck all.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:It is with deep regret that I will have to miss my first COLIN ever due to the heavy snow.

Actually I've qualified for a darts tournament on the same date with guaranteed prize money so this takes precedence. Good luck all.
What's the minimum guaranteed amount? Because Ben will match that and add an extra £1.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:It is with deep regret that I will have to miss my first COLIN ever due to the heavy snow.

What's the minimum guaranteed amount? Because Ben will match that and add an extra £1.
Haha. £1000 ;)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

Haha. £1000 ;)
See you in 2014, Kirkie.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Travelodge is now £24 a night. Is that going to improve?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Travelodge is now £24 a night. Is that going to improve?
Probably not. But thanks to this bullshit that Corby started by selling us all out, if it doesn't improve we won't be coming.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Travelodge is now £24 a night. Is that going to improve?
Probably not. But thanks to this bullshit that Corby started by selling us all out, if it doesn't improve we won't be coming.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :cry:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Only joking (ish). We'll probably come and just pretend we got the rooms for £12 and not talk to Corby the whole weekend.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Only joking (ish). We'll probably come and just pretend we got the rooms for £12 and not talk to Corby the whole weekend.
Ah, that's cool and awesome then. :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Can't be arsed with this waiting game any more. £24 each for Friday and and Saturday night, making £48 in total. All booked.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Can't be arsed with this waiting game any more. £24 each for Friday and and Saturday night, making £48 in total. All booked.
That should bring the sale on, if nothing else.

We need to sort out our group train ticket from London too, since Morrison's dumping us all in the shit this time. :x
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:Morrison's dumping us all in the shit this time. :x
There's only one person who is doing in-the-shit-dumping this year. COUGH COUGH selfish Travelodge bookings COUGH COUGH.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Can't be arsed with this waiting game any more. £24 each for Friday and and Saturday night, making £48 in total. All booked.

We need to sort out our group train ticket from London too, since Morrison's dumping us all in the shit this time. :x
You mean Morrison's not on the train this time?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

You mean Morrison's not on the train this time?
That's exactly what I mean. Oh, he didn't let you know? That's a surprise.

If I was driving, I'd have offered you guys a lift as well. Morrison's approach? FUCK YOU ALL.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:That's exactly what I mean. Oh, he didn't let you know? That's a surprise.

If I was driving, I'd have offered you guys a lift as well. Morrison's approach? FUCK YOU ALL.
So Morrison's driving and leaving Heather and Indra to make their own way. Disgraceful.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:That's exactly what I mean. Oh, he didn't let you know? That's a surprise.

So Morrison's driving and leaving Heather and Indra to make their own way. Disgraceful.
Yes, assuming that I'm top of his list, which I think is a fair assumption.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

Yes, assuming that I'm top of his list, which I think is a fair assumption.
So who have we got then - me, you, Jono?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:So who have we got then - me, you, Jono?
I guess. I think we need one more for the group ticket thingy. Anyone else going from London?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

it's 3 minimum to get the 1/3 discount from East Coast, so you're fine.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Who's buying the tickets? Not it!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Who's buying the tickets? Not it!
Gevin is a he.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Hi, I'm planning to travel up to Lincoln by train from London but haven't got as far as booking tickets yet. If I'm not too late, I would like to be included in a group ticket thingy (presumably travelling up on the Friday night and back on the Sunday?)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Heather Styles wrote:Hi, I'm planning to travel up to Lincoln by train from London but haven't got as far as booking tickets yet. If I'm not too late, I would like to be included in a group ticket thingy (presumably travelling up on the Friday night and back on the Sunday?)
Hi Heather. Yeah, generally we have travelled up sort of late Friday afternoon, and returned Sunday afternoon (which seems to be the earliest return from Hykeham, just after lunch sort of time).
The group ticket works out at something like £25 each, which is well worth getting - how much did you pay first time Gev? Was it £140 or something?
I'll look into it and post details up here when it becomes available (don't think we'll be able to book just yet)
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Thanks, Jon. I'll watch this space.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Heather Styles wrote:Hi, I'm planning to travel up to Lincoln by train from London but haven't got as far as booking tickets yet. If I'm not too late, I would like to be included in a group ticket thingy (presumably travelling up on the Friday night and back on the Sunday?)
Hi Heather. Yeah, generally we have travelled up sort of late Friday afternoon, and returned Sunday afternoon (which seems to be the earliest return from Hykeham, just after lunch sort of time).
The group ticket works out at something like £25 each, which is well worth getting - how much did you pay first time Gev? Was it £140 or something?
I'll look into it and post details up here when it becomes available (don't think we'll be able to book just yet)
It was something like £140. I basically bought the train.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

On the subject of the Saturday evening entertainment at the Fox & Hounds, in 2011 we had karaoke (and Shane); and in 2012 we had an average live band (and no Shane). The karaoke was much more popular amongst COLIN attendees; and in 2012, I vaguely remember someone asking the landlord of the F&H if he'd be happy to arrange his ents schedule such that it was karaoke on the Saturday evening of COLIN 2013. I also him vaguely remember him agreeing.

Ben, any chance you could put in a word with our friendly landlord and see if he's amenable to having karaoke that night?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Bayfield wrote:On the subject of the Saturday evening entertainment at the Fox & Hounds, in 2011 we had karaoke (and Shane); and in 2012 we had an average live band (and no Shane). The karaoke was much more popular amongst COLIN attendees; and in 2012, I vaguely remember someone asking the landlord of the F&H if he'd be happy to arrange his ents schedule such that it was karaoke on the Saturday evening of COLIN 2013. I also him vaguely remember him agreeing.

Ben, any chance you could put in a word with our friendly landlord and see if he's amenable to having karaoke that night?
I think it was Phil Collinge who put in a word last year (apologies if I misheard, Phil)- I'll give the landlord a call at the weekend to see what the arrangements are.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

We spoke to him about it the next day as well, he just said to give him a buzz in advance and he'd set it up. I don't think he'll un-bar Shane though.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Ben Wilson wrote:I think it was Phil Collinge who put in a word last year (apologies if I misheard, Phil)- I'll give the landlord a call at the weekend to see what the arrangements are.
When I discussed it with the landlord on the Saturday night he agreed to karoake and wrote it in the diary, or at least a notebook of some kind.

I did try and follow this up about 6 months ago by emailing the pub. Never got a reply and, to be honest, that's as far as I got.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phonecall required for sure.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Phonecall required for sure.
Well volunteered Matt :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

27 entries now so halfway already! Better get your entry in quick to avoid disappointment. :)

Details of food will be along as soon as I have details of food. This could be a while so don't register an interest in food yet- but I'll let you all know soon.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Phonecall required for sure.
Well volunteered Matt :)
What was the outcome of the phone call MWM?
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Jon Corby wrote:What was the outcome of the phone call MWM?
The 01522 number listed on their website is now a dead line.

There is a number listed on the 'Beer in the Evening' site but I've tried it on 4 consecutive afternoons and haven't had it answered.

If anyone else wants to try, maybe in the evening, the number is 0871-951-1000 (reference of 5581# when prompted).
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Phil Collinge wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:What was the outcome of the phone call MWM?
The 01522 number listed on their website is now a dead line.
try 01522 697 723.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Ben Wilson wrote:try 01522 697 723.
We have now finally made contact with The Fox & Hounds.

The gentleman who agreed to Karaoke on this particular weekend, and who I presumed was the Landlord, would now appear to have left the building. This might explain why he didn't respond to our email.

This may, or may not, mean that Shane in now un-barred but only time will tell on that, I didn't dare ask.

Apparently The Fox is only allowed to have entertainment once a fortnight and for 26th Jan there was nothing scheduled. A band the previous week and something else the following week, but for the Co:lin week there was fuck all going on.

However, the current Landlady, Beth, has agreed to talk with their DJ, who also does the Karaoke, to see if he can do the 26th. She is also going to try to re-arrange the band that were scheduled for 19th in order to accommodate us.

Beth has asked that I call her in the New Year so there will be no news on this front until then. The impression I got from her was quite favourable, I'd suggest we're about 70% likely to have Karaoke that night.