CoChest - Saturday 19 November 2011

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

CoChest - Saturday 19 November 2011

Post by James Robinson »

As you might have seen from my pictures on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 163&type=1 , there was a first Countdown tournament in Chester yesterday at the Westminster Hotel.

16 contestants took part including 7 debutants, most notably Andy Platt, Dylan Taylor and Jayne Wisniewski.

One notable absentee (early on that is) was Co:Lon champion Matt Bayfield who slept over his alarm and didn't turn up til lunchtime, so was bottom of the table after the morning 15-rounders, ruling him out of winning it.

Me and Joseph Krol were the only people who won all 3 of our 15-rounders in the morning session, but thanks to me getting the best score in each of the 3 games, I was #1 seed with 341 points.

In the quarters, I beat #8 seed Thomas Carey, whereas all the seedings fell into place except for #4 seed Karen Pearson, who lost to #5 seed Andy Platt.

So, the semis were me vs Andy and Joseph vs Rich Priest, a rematch of an earlier game, which Joseph won 111-94.

This time, Rich destoryed Joseph 56-21, and in my first crucial of the game I managed to get the conundrum ahead of Andy to win 51-33.

While Andy beat Joseph in the 3rd place play-off, me and Rich were in preparation for our final, which would turn out to be a classic.

After we drew the first 4 rounds at 28-28, I took a fortuitous lead as Rich chickened out of WASSAIL to give me a 7-point lead, but he turned it around quickly by solving the first conundrum to lead 48-45 at the break.

We kept matching each other round-for-round, even getting the niner FERTILIZE in the last letters round. 8-)

So, with Rich leading 94-91, it was his turn for the numbers, but he couldn't spot 285, letting me come in to take the lead into the conundrum.

And within 2 seconds of BANPLAICE being seen, I buzzed in with Rich literally a split-second behind me.

So, I won 111-94 (so, Rich lost both his games by the same scoreline :!: ) to become the FIRST COCHEST CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: CoChest - Saturday 19 November 2011

Post by Gavin Chipper »

From that it looks as though different rounds were played to different formats. Is that correct?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:From that it looks as though different rounds were played to different formats. Is that correct?
Yeah, it's what Jeff always does.

The first 3 games are 15-rounders, the next 2 are 9-rounders, and then the final is the classic 14-rounder.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

This wasn't very publicised.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ian Dent wrote:This wasn't very publicised.
True, but since Jeff doesn't come on here any more, that doesn't help much.

He did publicise it via the Scrabble forum, local press and even on YouTube.

As well as e-mailing all his past attendees.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Dent wrote:This wasn't very publicised.
Are you suggesting that James's first CO event win means no more than if he organised an event in his house inviting no-one but himself? I think that's a bit harsh and that you should apologise.