Countdown in London 2011

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: Countdown in London 29/10/11 - Standby Registration Only

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Hines wrote:Vote for the nightclub, and motion to have all future Co:Lons held on a Thursday.
Cool. Wasn't Jack Hurst asking for suggestions for contests to enter? That would have to be worth the entry fee.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Very nice, Lesley and Phil.

I have to admit, in all my years of gig-going at the Astoria and Heaven, I've never stayed on for that particular clubnight. It's always seemed to be an exceptionally young crowd queueing outside, maybe that's what has put me off.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Just been to the Post Office to pick up some packages. One of them was a Frosties Kid's cereal bowl (free with just 3 packs of Kellogg's cereal!) and ates ome Frosties out of it. At first I was disappointed, as the plastic material it was made from felt rather cheap, but then I noticed that in the base of the bowl is a picture of Tony saying "They're Gooooooone!". Such attention to detail I can only hope to imitate. 9/10.

(The other things I picked up were CO:LON goodies, but no-one cares about that.)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Speaking of goodies, is the trophy the same as last year's, with the obvious exception of 2011 replacing 2010 :?:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:Speaking of goodies, is the trophy the same as last year's, with the obvious exception of 2011 replacing 2010 :?:
Probably (got to think about my brand synergy), although I haven't been to the trophy shop yet so they might not still have it, or might have something better.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Speaking of goodies, is the trophy the same as last year's, with the obvious exception of 2011 replacing 2010 :?:
Probably (got to think about my brand synergy), although I haven't been to the trophy shop yet so they might not still have it, or might have something better.
Perpetual trophies are where it's at, bro.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Perpetual trophies are where it's at, bro.
I know one in Stanmore.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I have some good news, and some pretty bad news.

Good news: the trophy is on its way! The guy from the trophy shop recognised us from last year. Apparently he doesn't get asked to etch "CO:LON MASTER" that often.

Bad news: the post-CO:LON 'spoons no longer has Hex :cry: It still has classics like Pints and DoND, as well as a few I know a load of you like, like Hexagrams, but I thought I'd warn you in advance.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Bad news: the post-CO:LON 'spoons no longer has Hex :cry: It still has classics like Pints and DoND, as well as a few I know a load of you like, like Hexagrams, but I thought I'd warn you in advance.
Hex is fairly 2010 to be fair. Did you check on Secret Letter? That's just as hard to find these days.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Bad news: the post-CO:LON 'spoons no longer has Hex :cry: It still has classics like Pints and DoND, as well as a few I know a load of you like, like Hexagrams, but I thought I'd warn you in advance.
Hex is fairly 2010 to be fair. Did you check on Secret Letter? That's just as hard to find these days.
Not sure. Only other one I noticed was Hexagrams.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

God I'm going to put so much money in that machine, I just realised.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Even more exciting news. CF and I visited the pub yesterday to see if we could do a bit of feng shui and fit in an extra table or two. We managed to arrange it so there are an extra 3 tables available, which means an extra 9 places.

This is where it gets complicated. Anyone who emailed me to ask for a standby place has been contacted. However, I appreciate that there are a number of people who have posted on this thread, but I don't necessarily have email contacts for you,and on top of that I'm not sure which people were expressing a request to be a standby, and which were just commenting in general.

So! This is the list I have of people who expressed some sort of interest (as far as I can tell). As it stands, this is still fewer people than there are spaces available, so there aren't any problems (yet) with people missing out. If you are on this list and would like to attend, please send me an email at the countdownlondon address by 5pm next Wednesday 19th October. If I don't hear from you I'll assume you're no longer interested.

Tony Atkins
Jimmy Gough
Mark Deeks
Lloyd Pettet

There are still places available beyond this, but they are very limited. If you would like to come then email me as soon as possible. Preference will be given to those who email me directly - otherwise I have to start comparing what time someone emailed me and what time someone posted on the forum and it gets messy.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Re: Countdown in London 29/10/11 - Handful of extra places n

Post by Thomas Carey »

I'm assuming it's still no kids, right?
cheers maus
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Thomas Carey wrote:I'm assuming it's still no kids, right?
Wanna guess?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Thomas Carey wrote:I'm assuming it's still no kids, right?
'fraid so.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Countdown in London 29/10/11 - extra places available!

Trophy collected. I was going to try and upload a photo, but it's almost identical to last year's so there didn't seem much point. Will Innis be taking it home again???
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Will Innis be taking it home again???
Yes.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

What's this? Is it the official CO:LON trailer? Whipped up in my lunch break? I THINK SO!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Right, I've just emailed this to all the CO:LON attendees who emailed me at the proper address, but here it is for those of you who didn't, and for those who read the forum more frequently than their email.

Hello everyone!

If you're reading this it's because you (yes, you) are a fully paid up member of the Countdown in London 2011 bus. With just a couple of weeks to go until the Big Day I thought I'd send out a brief reminder and a few pointers for the event. I say brief, but I appreciate this is a bit long. I've tried to keep it to the Very Important Bits, though, so do please have a skim.

0) Emergency contact

My mobile number is (not getting published on a public forum - PM me) - please get in contact with me on the day if you get lost, or it looks like you'll be late. In the unlikely event that that doesn't work (for instance, if a ghost steals my phone), then you can contact The Count on (ditto). If that doesn't work either, then it's fairly safe to assume that the CO:LON pub was actually situated on a hellmouth, and we will all be playing Countdown in the underworld. (So probably best not to turn up.)

1) Cancellation

If you realise you can't make it, please please please let me know. The more notice the better, but even if it's just on the morning of the 29th, it would still be really useful if you could send me a text/email so I know. There are a variety of contingencies in place, and the more notice I have (even if it's only a few hours) the better - missing people can be detrimental to everyone else's enjoyment of the day, but as long as I have some warning I should be able to sort things out.

2) Travel

As luck would have it, Farringdon station is closed on the weekend of CO:LON. Fortunately, Barbican (which is on the same Tube lines) is open, and is only a little bit further away. The 'How to get there' page on the CO:LON website has been updated to reflect these developments: https://sites.google.com/site/countdown ... ting-there Those of you who came last year please leave a little extra time to get to the pub!

3) Timing on the day

Please try to arrive before 1245 - this is when I'll be doing the opening announcements, and getting everyone onto their correct tables for the first round. Kickoff is set for 1pm: if you miss this you will forfeit your first round matches. You can still show up and join in later, but it's only fair to everyone else that people are on time.

4) Bonus places at CO:LON are available - why not bring a friend?

Due to some dropouts, and a bit of furniture rearrangement at the venue, there are a handful of extra places available at CO:LON 2011. If you know anyone who isn't coming who might like to, why not try asking them "would you like to come to CO:LON with me?". Even if they say no, they'll surely be delighted by your almost-wordplay!

5) The apterous.org Award for...something or other!

Most of you are aware, I'm sure, of www.apterous.org - a place to play the game online. apterous Corps have generously sponsored a prize on the day, exclusively for apterous.org members, so if you don't have an account, and would like a shot at this very 'special' prize, then head over and sign up. It's quick, easy, and fun! (Fun not guaranteed by CO:LON.)

Hopefully that's everything. I'll send out another (much briefer, I promise) reminder a little nearer the day. Any questions, just let me know.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Michael Wallace wrote: 2) Travel

As luck would have it, Farringdon station is closed on the weekend of CO:LON. Fortunately, Barbican (which is on the same Tube lines) is open, and is only a little bit further away. The 'How to get there' page on the CO:LON website has been updated to reflect these developments: https://sites.google.com/site/countdown ... ting-there Those of you who came last year please leave a little extra time to get to the pub!
Anyone who wants tube timetables let me know.

You can also use Tfl's journey planner which works as long as you either start or finish inside the tube - take This Gatwick Airport example.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:

You can also use Tfl's journey planner which works as long as you either start or finish inside the tube - take This Gatwick Airport example.
HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:

HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found
Jono I can't read your post.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Haha, nice one.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Haha, nice one.
Sorry, what did you say?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Is anyone around for a drink or 3 on Friday night? I'm arriving on Friday afternoon from Brighton so wouldn't mind some company.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

website needs more love imo
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Jimmy Gough wrote:website needs more love imo
Add me to the list of people who love it.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Countdown in London 29/10/11 - standbys only!

Extra spaces have been filled, so back to standbys only. Hopefully no-one will drop out in the next week, but you never know...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Excitement levels please. Ideally out of 7. Or do I have to post pictures?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:Excitement levels please. Ideally out of 7. Or do I have to post pictures?
200 8-)
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Michael Wallace wrote:Excitement levels please. Ideally out of 7. Or do I have to post pictures?
7 and I'm not even going (yet anyway)... what are the odds that someone will drop out?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

6 because I'll probably hear it if everyone shouts very loudly at the same time, but I can't be there.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Marcus Hares wrote:
7 and I'm not even going (yet anyway)... what are the odds that someone will drop out?
Having only done this once before it's hard to say. Last year we only had one dropout during the last week, and that was on the morning itself. I can put you top of the standby list if you'd like, though.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Prepare to be even more excited. I just got my camera out.

Here is a sneaky peak of First Prize :o

That's right. CO:LON goes pro with goody bags! First and second place will each receive a (very) limited edition goody bag, filled (ish) with various bits and bobs. The question is, are the goody bags just plain white, or is there an hilarious CO:LON branded message on the other side? There's only one way to find out! (Actually, there are multiple ways, but let's not let pedantry get in the way of a good pitch.)

Next up:

That's right. An off-centre action shot of three egg timers! This year CO:LON features fancy green egg timers for your Countdown pleasure. No more fiddling with watches or accidentally setting your phone's stopwatch to thirty minutes instead of thirty seconds. Guaranteed (ish) to be idiot proof!

And finally:

That's right. The pencils are back, and this time they're purple (purple is spooky, right?). There are also all-new fridge magnets, but they're difficult to take a photo of without giving away my superb graphic design skills. More importantly, the magnets feature yet another hilarious bit of wordplay (remember "I made up the numbers at CO:LON 2010? It just gets better this year).

Plenty more stuff is lurking in my CO:LON box, but I can't give away all the surprises, can I? Also, a lot of it hasn't arrived/isn't made yet :mrgreen:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

What do we do with the egg-timers if somebody buzzes in on a conundrum and gets it wrong?

My excitement level is either 0 or 7 depending on the answer to this question.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:What do we do with the egg-timers if somebody buzzes in on a conundrum and gets it wrong?

My excitement level is either 0 or 7 depending on the answer to this question.
Put it up your bum.

Good question though. I assume there's no problem with just turning them on their side to 'pause' them? Just as well that didn't happen in the final last year when we were using the Countdown board game timer :shock:

Edit: Oh, and obviously people don't have to use the timers if they'd rather use a watch or whatever. It just annoyed me last year not providing any sort of timing device in case people didn't have stuff themselves, so at least there's a fallback now.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Sand timers are a wicked idea. +1 for turning them on their side.

Will there be a prize for the best Hallowe'en-themed fancy dress?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:Will there be a prize for the best Hallowe'en-themed fancy dress?
I considered this, but I assumed that if there was then only about 3 people would bother, and it would all be a bit awkward. If enough people (i.e. more than 3) would consider dressing up then I might arrange something, although time's a-wastin'.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Will there be a prize for the best Hallowe'en-themed fancy dress?
I considered this, but I assumed that if there was then only about 3 people would bother, and it would all be a bit awkward. If enough people (i.e. more than 3) would consider dressing up then I might arrange something, although time's a-wastin'.
I'm dressing up whatever happens.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm dressing up whatever happens.
Awesomesauce. Ok, I'll put something in the final reminder email tonight/tomorrow morning. Can't promise a good prize (it may depend on what Sainsbury's has on Friday night), but if we can get a fair few dressing up that would be awesome.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Right then. Costume competition is a go. I might steal one of the magic hat game prizes for this, depends what else I can find. Either way - costumes = fun.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm dressing up whatever happens.
Awesomesauce. Ok, I'll put something in the final reminder email tonight/tomorrow morning. Can't promise a good prize (it may depend on what Sainsbury's has on Friday night), but if we can get a fair few dressing up that would be awesome.
Yeah, a small box of Millie's assorted cookies form Harrow Town Centre. Mmmmmmm.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Yeah, a small box of Millie's assorted cookies form Harrow Town Centre. Mmmmmmm.
Wow, Harrow Town Centre must be pretty small. But it does have edibility on its side, which is good. Do they have to replace it often after people keep eating it?
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Marcus Hares wrote:
Having only done this once before it's hard to say. Last year we only had one dropout during the last week, and that was on the morning itself. I can put you top of the standby list if you'd like, though.
Yes please, although I will need a bit of notice if there is a drop out to organise travel and accom and that - can I email you my number?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Marcus Hares wrote:Yes please, although I will need a bit of notice if there is a drop out to organise travel and accom and that - can I email you my number?
Sure thing :) If you send it to the countdownlondon@gmail.com address I can hopefully more easily keep track of things.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Look at what I found when searching for "raccoon halloween costume".
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ok, now all this has been set up I feel a bit bad about my costume just being Ryan Taylor. I will think of something better.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:Look at what I found when searching for "raccoon halloween costume".
You'd better not be planning on wearing that.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Look at what I found when searching for "raccoon halloween costume".
You'd better not be planning on wearing that.
Yeah, I'm shit at playing Countdown with a boner!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Ok, now all this has been set up I feel a bit bad about my costume just being Ryan Taylor. I will think of something better.
Do you mean you were simply intending to dress like Ryan, or you were planning to actually wear Ryan as a costume?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I hope Jono is going to come as Derren Brown now.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:I hope Jono is going to come as Derren Brown now.
Can you please stop ruining my frigging outfits. No joke.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Sorry dude. Guess you'll have to go with the sexy raccoon after all.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:you'll have to go with the sexy raccoon after all.
Urgh.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Talking trains:

I arrive at 11:26 and leave at 8:00. Anyone synchronised/wants to synchronise with that?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

It's CO:LON Eve Eve! Glad to see this chap seems to be getting into the swing of it early!

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ben Wilson wrote:Talking trains:

I arrive at 11:26 and leave at 8:00. Anyone synchronised/wants to synchronise with that?
I arrive at King's X at 11:33, but I might then have to resynchronise with possible others too.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur