"What is COLIN?" and other questions

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

"What is COLIN?" and other questions

Post by Charlie Reams »

This is the forum for discussion of all the unofficial Countdown events that take place.

There are several real-life tournaments each year, the most venerable of which is COLIN (Countdown in Lincoln) which has run every January since 2005. There is also COBRIS (Bristol in the summer) and CORED (Redcorn in autumn). Two new tournaments may be running for the first time in 2008; COLIV in Liverpool and COLEI in Leicester. These are great fun (see some of the feedback topics in this forum!) and everyone is welcome - even people who are quite rubbish, which is lucky for me. Each one normally attracts about 30 people, including many of the big names in Countdown - Chris Wills, Conor Travers, Mark Tournoff and Joseph Bolas to name but a few. Details of these grand days out are usually posted nearer the time, and we'd love for you to join us, so keep your eyes on this forum if you think you could be tempted.

There are also many online tournaments, usually under the name COOT (COuntdown Online Tournament), which run over MSN Messenger. These are generally organised on here, and everyone is welcome, so again monitor this forum often if you're interested in playing. These are not taken quite so seriously, but the standard is still pretty high and they provide a great practice ground for potential future contestants. The list of people who've played with us online before going on to great things is too long for one post, but includes at least Conor (again), Jon O'Neill and David O'Donnell. Also we're fairly friendly and always happy for you to hang out with us online even if you don't feel like playing.

I think that's everything. Questions?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Re: "What is COLIN?" and other questions

Post by Julian Fell »

Hi Charlie & everyone

I've never been to any of these events because I was out of the loop when they started - can I ask, when did CoBRIS start, and also, which Redhill is it that CoRED was in? The one in Nottinghamshire?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hi Julian

CoBris started 2005, same year as COLIN, and has run in July ever since though this year's date is kind of up in the air right now. I think Jerry said end of April but I will naturally defer to whatever he says. CoRed was at Redhill in Surrey, and organised brilliantly by Kevin Thurlow, and rather disappointingly undersupported by the Countdown community at large. Still though, at least it meant yours truly won something last year. :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Someone really should expand the wiki articles a bit. Volunteers?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Thanks v much for info Ben. And is CoBRIS linked to the Bristol Countdown Club - is it a bit like those special 'Champions' days at the Edinburgh Countdown Club? Or is it separate?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Linked!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You know, all of you people are very lucky because most American game shows are not as intellectual as "Countdown." You get the chance to practice by playing mock games of "Countdown," and I tell you, even if I practiced by playing two full games of "Countdown" a day, I would still not be able to get as "fantastic" of a score as you all would get.

Honestly, it's a shame that not all Americans know what "Countdown" is.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:You know, all of you people are very lucky because most American game shows are not as intellectual as "Countdown." You get the chance to practice by playing mock games of "Countdown," and I tell you, even if I practiced by playing two full games of "Countdown" a day, I would still not be able to get as "fantastic" of a score as you all would get.

Honestly, it's a shame that not all Americans know what "Countdown" is.
I have seen quite a lot of American gameshows on Youtube and there are a few that I would have loved to partake in; Camouflage, Concentration, How Much Is Enough?, Lingo, Merv Griffin's Crosswords and Press Your Luck to name a few.

The problem with most game shows is that they don't seem to stay on the air long. For example we had a UK version of Lingo, but I believe it only lasted 1 year. Crystal Maze, Blockbusters (during the Bob Holness run) and Wipeout to name a few, are some other gameshows that shouldn't have stopped.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Can I ask another question: what is this 'pyramid' thing that Conor won at last year's CoBRIS, how does that work?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Exact same thing as they had on Brainteaser, only it went down to 9 letters as well.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Ah I see. Thanks once again for info Ben.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I haven't forgotten, "Countdown" was tried here in America in 1985 but the pilot was scrapped because it was too intellectual.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julian wrote:Can I ask another question: what is this 'pyramid' thing that Conor won at last year's CoBRIS, how does that work?
Even though I reckon I was quicker than Conor - I'm sure whoever had the stopwatch couldn't keep up! ;)
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Julian wrote:Can I ask another question: what is this 'pyramid' thing that Conor won at last year's CoBRIS, how does that work?
Even though I reckon I was quicker than Conor - I'm sure whoever had the stopwatch couldn't keep up! ;)
Heh. To be fair, I think I remember finding both your and Jono's pyramids harder than my one.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

For anyone who took interest in the COLIVER event, I have decided that I am actually going to postpone it. The main reason is because I don't think I will have everything ready in time and also money is very tight at the moment. Apologies to everyone.

EDIT: Just to add, I should hopefully have everything ready for 2009 :) (but will let people know nearer the time if COLIVER will be running or not).
EDIT 2: Sometime in April '09 so its between COLIN and COBRIS.
Last edited by Joseph Bolas on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Just reading the wiki article on Countdown tournaments and it says (or suggests) that the letters and numbers are actually pre-determined at COBris, i.e. not picked on the day... is that right? As I understood it, they are actually picked then and there, although everyone plays from the same set (and I know they have a pre-determined cycle for the numbers games). Just curious...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I've never known them to be pre-determined, even though that would be a better idea. You are correct.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Charlie Reams wrote: Two new tournaments may be running for the first time in 2008; COLIV in Liverpool and COLEI in Leicester.
I know this post is Mega old, but I'm curious about the mention of COLEI. I just wonder who was considering to plan one in Leicester if anyone can remember?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

JackHurst wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: Two new tournaments may be running for the first time in 2008; COLIV in Liverpool and COLEI in Leicester.
I know this post is Mega old, but I'm curious about the mention of COLEI. I just wonder who was considering to plan one in Leicester if anyone can remember?
Just thought I'd bump this in case anyone who knows the answer to my question didnt read it when initially posted. :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Made you look :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

JackHurst wrote:
JackHurst wrote:
Just thought I'd bump this in case anyone who knows the answer to my question didnt read it when initially posted. :D
Jeff Clayton ran COLEI 2008 but I think it was just a one-time thing. Plenty of jollies but poor turnout most probably due to it being 2 weeks after CONOT.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Actually there might be a COLEI 2009 in the offing...... early stages of planning but PM/message me if you'd be interested.

Jeff
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Actually there might be a COLEI 2009 in the offing...... early stages of planning but PM/message me if you'd be interested.

Jeff
I would definitely be there as it's local for me.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Jeff: Leicester is reasonably easy for me to get to, so esp since I can't play on apterous atm (computer probs), I'd potentially be interested. Please keep me updated of any developments.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Matt Bayfield wrote: Please keep me updated of any developments.
Ditto.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

JackHurst wrote:
Matt Bayfield wrote: Please keep me updated of any developments.
Ditto.
This
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

BUMP.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Charlie Reams wrote:This is the forum for discussion of all the unofficial Countdown events that take place.

There are several real-life tournaments each year, the most venerable of which is COLIN (Countdown in Lincoln) which has run every January since 2005. There is also COBRIS (Bristol in the summer) and CORED (Redcorn in autumn). Two new tournaments may be running for the first time in 2008; COLIV in Liverpool and COLEI in Leicester. These are great fun (see some of the feedback topics in this forum!) and everyone is welcome - even people who are quite rubbish, which is lucky for me. Each one normally attracts about 30 people, including many of the big names in Countdown - Chris Wills, Conor Travers, Mark Tournoff and Joseph Bolas to name but a few. Details of these grand days out are usually posted nearer the time, and we'd love for you to join us, so keep your eyes on this forum if you think you could be tempted.

There are also many online tournaments, usually under the name COOT (COuntdown Online Tournament), which run over MSN Messenger. These are generally organised on here, and everyone is welcome, so again monitor this forum often if you're interested in playing. These are not taken quite so seriously, but the standard is still pretty high and they provide a great practice ground for potential future contestants. The list of people who've played with us online before going on to great things is too long for one post, but includes at least Conor (again), Jon O'Neill and David O'Donnell. Also we're fairly friendly and always happy for you to hang out with us online even if you don't feel like playing.

I think that's everything. Questions?
Is it possible to have a co-event in Wakefield and/or Bradford?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Soph K wrote: Is it possible to have a co-event in Wakefield and/or Bradford?
CoBra, nice.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Soph K wrote: Is it possible to have a co-event in Wakefield and/or Bradford?
CoBra, nice.
lol!

Well it should be called CoBrad then!
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

I'm taking this title to mean any Co events questions, so I would like to know this: is there an age limit? As I might see if I can make it to Co:Bris next year. Thanks!
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Euan Slatter wrote:I'm taking this title to mean any Co events questions, so I would like to know this: is there an age limit? As I might see if I can make it to Co:Bris next year. Thanks!
No age limit; there was a 9-year-old at CoChest 2011. Just don't let any drops of rain fall on your paper mid-game ;)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Euan Slatter wrote:I'm taking this title to mean any Co events questions, so I would like to know this: is there an age limit? As I might see if I can make it to Co:Bris next year. Thanks!
No age limit; there was a 9-year-old at CoChest 2011. Just don't let any drops of rain fall on your paper mid-game ;)
Ok cheers! :)

EDIT: Just checked: I can make it! Saturday means no school, and my footie season will have finished by then! :D :) :mrgreen:
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Putting this here because.......Yadda yadda yadda...
Has anyone thought of arranging a countdown world championship.
Would anyone from overseas come?
Would Octochamps have an automatic seeding?
Where would a suitable venue be ?

Thoughts anyone ?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

This seems as good a thread as any- the FOCAL website is currently down.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

It's been down a few weeks now. Some domain problem. On it.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I hear the Fox and Hounds have closed their Mike Brown-approved kitchen. Wherever are we to scran?
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Callum Todd wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:30 pm I hear the Fox and Hounds have closed their Mike Brown-approved kitchen. Wherever are we to scran?
They're going to have a food van on both nights. No word on whether Mike thinks the food's okay, though.