COGST - starting mid-September

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Re: COGST - starting mid-September

Post by Julian Fell »

Martin Gardner wrote:We have our 7 group winners now, in order of seeding they are:

#1 Paul Howe
#2 Julian Fell
#3 Kirk Bevins
#4 Ben Wilson
#5 Jason Cullen
#6 David O'Donnell
#7 Jon O'Neill
#8 Ben Pugh
Hmm so are you doing the seedings based only on results in this tournament? I thought when you said you were doing seedings for the QFs, you meant seedings based on Charlie's ratings. Looking at Martin's list, I think if you're doing it on wins and points in this tournament alone, then Ben Pugh should be above Jono and David O (or is the best runner-up automatically #8 seed?)

And are you still doing #1 vs. #8, #2 vs #7 etc. in the quarters?

Looks like I won't have to play David O'Donnell :D

I might have to play Jono :(
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yes it's seeding by points and wins from this tournament, and the best runner-up is automatically #8 seed.
Last edited by Martin Gardner on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

I didn't notice Jerry online this evening and we were due to play at 8pm. Not sure what would happen now, but I'm sure there was a valid reason as to why he wasn't online.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

He's online now mate, albeit listed as 'away'.
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

Oh damn. I think we must have just missed each other then. My apologies for the previous post. :oops:
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yes best runner-up is automatically 8th seed, and it's by wins, then points, then points difference. I'm afraid I can't wait forever for Jerry and Steven to play, so I'm putting you both in the plate as it was unlikely that you'd have beaten Ben Pugh's 201 points (Jerry needed 142 points and Steven 116, admittedly 116 is doable) but I've already extended the deadline by 2 days, and I have to think about the other 19 players who are waiting to play not just the two that haven't played.

So here's the draw:

Paul Howe vs. Ben Pugh
Julian Fell vs. Jon O'Neill
Kirk Bevins vs. David O'Donnell
Ben Wilson vs. Jason Cullen (these two in fact both have 198 points)

I've done the draw for the plate by assigning each player a random number between 0 and 1 using my calculator, then putting them in order so the highest plays the second highest, etc. The draw is as follows (all of this will be on the wiki shortly):

Martin Gardner vs. Jerry Humphreys
Richard Priest vs. Joseph Bolas
Karen Pearson vs. Steven Briers
Dino S. vs. Howard Somerset
Matt Coates vs. Charlie Reams

Ian Volante, Julie Taylor and Michael Wallace all have a by into the next round of the Plate. There's no draw for the next round, the winner of Me and Jerry plays the winner of Richard and Joseph, etc.

Edit: Forgot to say it's one game per week from now on, so all games should be done before 11.59 on the 4/10/08.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Martin Gardner wrote:Ian Volante, Julie Taylor and Michael Wallace all have a by into the next round of the Plate. There's no draw for the next round, the winner of Me and Jerry plays the winner of Richard and Joseph, etc.
Does this mean that Julie and I are going to be playing each other in the next round regardless of what happens? (and if so, does it matter if we happen to play before the deadline for the first round, or will that just confuse things?)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Is the deadline 11:59 am or 11:59 pm next Saturday?
If am, I'll not make it, I'm afraid,
If pm, I'll do my best, so long as Dinos is available sometime Saturday evening.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

A chance for you to make Emma eat her words, Howard. :)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I go away next Friday for 10 days so, Steven, please could we play it before then? I am free today (Sunday), Monday evening before 7.30, Wednesday or Thursday evenings, or most days during the day.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Ian Volante, Julie Taylor and Michael Wallace all have a by into the next round of the Plate. There's no draw for the next round, the winner of Me and Jerry plays the winner of Richard and Joseph, etc.
Does this mean that Julie and I are going to be playing each other in the next round regardless of what happens? (and if so, does it matter if we happen to play before the deadline for the first round, or will that just confuse things?)

Yes and yes, you are playing each other and you can play now, I don't see why not.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Howard Somerset wrote:Is the deadline 11:59 am or 11:59 pm next Saturday?
If am, I'll not make it, I'm afraid,
If pm, I'll do my best, so long as Dinos is available sometime Saturday evening.
11.59 pm, sorry
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

Karen Pearson wrote:I go away next Friday for 10 days so, Steven, please could we play it before then? I am free today (Sunday), Monday evening before 7.30, Wednesday or Thursday evenings, or most days during the day.
Yes that's fine Karen. I'm available any evening after about 6pm, so whenever would be best for you really.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Could we say 6pm on Wednesday then please Steven? And is it OK if we play on MSN?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Joseph and I are planning to play this Tuesday, 4.30pm onwards. Is anyone available around that time to host?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

I may have to reluctantly withdraw from the countdown tournament because I do not have access to a computer until tuesday week :x .

If i could postpone my match until then, then I will be able to play, if not, forced to pull out. I am sneakily using the college computers to send this message :P .

Please let me know Martin what I am to do about the situation :) .

Cheers

Jason
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Julian Fell wrote:

Out of the tepid bath and into the fire.

Yo, Bevins, when do you wanna do it? Will have to be via msn, unfortunately.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Rich Priest wrote:Joseph and I are planning to play this Tuesday, 4.30pm onwards. Is anyone available around that time to host?
I should be online around then. Joseph has my msn details but just in case, it's d_odonnell24@hotmail.com
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

jasoncullen wrote:I may have to reluctantly withdraw from the countdown tournament because I do not have access to a computer until tuesday week :x .

If i could postpone my match until then, then I will be able to play, if not, forced to pull out. I am sneakily using the college computers to send this message :P .

Cheers

Jason
I don't mind waiting fwiw.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Ben, if you need to arrange a specific time I have Weds and Thurs evenings completely free, but I'm happy to just run into you on apterous at some stage during the week if that's cool.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

For what it's worth I also think you should extend the deadline to let Jason play, Martin - would be a shame to default someone who's won his place in the quarter-finals fair and square, for the sake of a few days.

Jono vs. Julian is going to be on Thursday at 8:30pm, on MSN (sorry Charlie) - can anyone be there then to host please?
David O'Donnell wrote:Yo, Bevins, when do you wanna do it?
:?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

jasoncullen wrote:I may have to reluctantly withdraw from the countdown tournament because I do not have access to a computer until tuesday week :x .

Cheers

Jason
Yeah I think it's fair if you've let me know in advance and it's just a couple of days, why not wait? Let's postpone the match.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Looks like me and Howard are getting it on this Saturday evening. Not sure yet though if this will be via msn or Apterous.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Paul Howe wrote:Ben, if you need to arrange a specific time I have Weds and Thurs evenings completely free, but I'm happy to just run into you on apterous at some stage during the week if that's cool.
I prefer Apterous to MSN so that second option is preferable for me.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Pugh wrote:I prefer Apterous to MSN so that second option is preferable for me.
Any chance you could pick a time so that fans of the beautiful game can tune in and spectate?
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

Karen Pearson wrote:Could we say 6pm on Wednesday then please Steven? And is it OK if we play on MSN?
Sure Karen, that'll be great. I'd also prefer to play on MSN as well as I've only played a couple of games on Apterous and I'm still getting to grips with it.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Looks like me and Howard are getting it on this Saturday evening. Not sure yet though if this will be via msn or Apterous.
In a similar vain, I think we can extend the deadline for Howard as he did tell me he was going to be away before the tournament even started. But if you still want to play Saturday, that suits me better.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:

On a weekend? Some time on Saturday afternoon/evening? Edit: I'm meeting someone on Saturday and so I don't think it's a good idea. Let's try Sunday instead.
Last edited by Kirk Bevins on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Rich Priest wrote:Joseph and I are planning to play this Tuesday, 4.30pm onwards. Is anyone available around that time to host?
I should be online around then. Joseph has my msn details but just in case, it's d_odonnell24@hotmail.com
Thanks David I'll add your details.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

If anyone drops out of this tournament and needs replacing let me know!
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:

Yes and yes, you are playing each other and you can play now, I don't see why not.
Hi, Michael, I'd prefer to play on MSN if that's OK with you.
What times are you available? I'd prefer any weekday late afternoon/early evening, but I can be flexible if that's awkward for you.
I hadn't really looked at the COGST rules properly - I thought that was it when I was knocked out in the first round! :lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Martin Gardner wrote:In a similar vain, I think we can extend the deadline for Howard as he did tell me he was going to be away before the tournament even started. But if you still want to play Saturday, that suits me better.
Thanks Martin :)
Dinos and I are discussing when we are to play our game, and we'll let you know as soon as we can.
The fact that I can log in here briefly each evening doesn't mean i can play a game this week. Sitting in a hotel lobby with a queue behind me waiting to get to the terminal isn't the best way of playing a game.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Julie T wrote:Hi, Michael, I'd prefer to play on MSN if that's OK with you.
What times are you available? I'd prefer any weekday late afternoon/early evening, but I can be flexible if that's awkward for you.
I hadn't really looked at the COGST rules properly - I thought that was it when I was knocked out in the first round! :lol:
I can't really do Tuesday or Wednesday this week, but then I'm free all of Thursday and Friday (supposedly), not too sure about next week. We could say sometime Thursday early eveningish? I imagine it may depend more on finding a willing host...any volunteers? :)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Julie T wrote:Hi, Michael, I'd prefer to play on MSN if that's OK with you.
I can't really do Tuesday or Wednesday this week, but then I'm free all of Thursday and Friday (supposedly), not too sure about next week. We could say sometime Thursday early eveningish? I imagine it may depend more on finding a willing host...any volunteers? :)
I could host Karen and Steven's game on Wednesday, if they haven't found anyone else to host yet, and then perhaps one of them could host our game on Thurs or Fri.
Although I'd still like to host, even if they can't reciprocate.
If not, if anyone else would like me to host a game on MSN, I'd like a go. Perhaps a friendly game first, as I haven't done it before, if there's a couple of people who would like a practice. I thought I'd use apterous as a generator, unless someone could suggest other links.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Me and Ben (Ben and I?) will be playing at 7ish Weds on apterous if anyone wants to watch.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I will try and be online this week everyday from 5pm, except tomorrow as I'm out. I'll host any games I can.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

The wiki has now been updated to reflect the current situation of the tournament.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Julie T wrote:I could host Karen and Steven's game on Wednesday, if they haven't found anyone else to host yet, and then perhaps one of them could host our game on Thurs or Fri.
I can do Wednesday now, so we could play after you host Karen and Steven's game?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Julie T wrote:I could host Karen and Steven's game on Wednesday, if they haven't found anyone else to host yet, and then perhaps one of them could host our game on Thurs or Fri.
I can do Wednesday now, so we could play after you host Karen and Steven's game?
That's fine, if they want me to host! :)
I've fiddled about on the custom game setting on apterous, and you can play against a bot and allow C2 to pick all the letters and numbers, which would generate the game, as well as giving O/T words and solutions.
I have a 2006 edition ODE to check contestants words, which is currently the one used, I think?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Thanks to those who let me host a friendly game. Won't say who, as it was a friendly. They can say if they want to! :lol:
Apterous fecked up a bit (or maybe it was pilot error), so I used Countgen. I was a bit crap, but learnt how to do it. Players were very patient. Not as easy as it looks!
I still think apterous set so you can choose all the letters and numbers will be the easiest way in future.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Julie T wrote: I could host Karen and Steven's game on Wednesday, if they haven't found anyone else to host yet, and then perhaps one of them could host our game on Thurs or Fri.
Thanks Julie. Don't worry about making any mistakes - I am the host of last resort! But I will host your game if it's on Thursday if you need me to (but I'm not around on Friday).
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Howard will be fully appreciating his wife on Saturday when he returns from Wales, so we are looking to play early Sunday afternoon, anytime before 3 is fine. About 1?

Any offers to host would be greatly appreciated.

Dinos
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Kirk Bevins wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:

On a weekend? Some time on Saturday afternoon/evening? Edit: I'm meeting someone on Saturday and so I don't think it's a good idea. Let's try Sunday instead.
I am stuck with library access at the moment and will have no access on Sunday. Most evenings during the week suit best presuming we can start around 6.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Julie T wrote: I could host Karen and Steven's game on Wednesday, if they haven't found anyone else to host yet, and then perhaps one of them could host our game on Thurs or Fri.
Thanks Julie. Don't worry about making any mistakes - I am the host of last resort! But I will host your game if it's on Thursday if you need me to (but I'm not around on Friday).
Thanks, Karen. Just to be clear, do you want me to host your match at 6pm tonight?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Yes please, Julie. If you're still available. Thanks.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Julie T wrote:

Thanks, Karen. Just to be clear, do you want me to host your match at 6pm tonight?
Karen Pearson wrote:Yes please, Julie. If you're still available. Thanks.
Great, 'see' you then!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Julie T wrote:
Julie T wrote:

Karen Pearson wrote:Yes please, Julie. If you're still available. Thanks.
Great, 'see' you then!

I should be online around that time, be sure to invite me in, please, if there is a game on.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Howard will be fully appreciating his wife on Saturday when he returns from Wales
What I really said was that I'd be saying "hello" to her. But you put it so much nicer, Dinos. :lol:
Last edited by Howard Somerset on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

David O'Donnell wrote:

I should be online around that time, be sure to invite me in, please, if there is a game on.
Fine by me, if it's OK with the contestants.
I'd appreciate spectator banter, since it'll be only my second go at hosting a game. I'll probably be concentrating on that, rather than being chatty.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I think Jono and Julian are the only ones that haven't publicly announced a date so far. For Countdown I mean, not a wedding.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:I think Jono and Julian are the only ones that haven't publicly announced a date so far. For Countdown I mean, not a wedding.
I'm pretty sure Jono said it was tonight.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Julian Fell wrote: Jono vs. Julian is going to be on Thursday at 8:30pm, on MSN (sorry Charlie) - can anyone be there then to host please?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yes Martin, you said Jono and I were the only ones who hadn't announced a date, when in fact we were the only pair of quarter-finalists (out of those who had yet to play) who HAD announced when we would be playing... curious.

Anyway result was Jon O'Neill 90-97 Julian Fell
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David - when can you play? I am struggling to find time before tomorrow to play my game - tonight after school we are going bowling then drinking and Saturday I'm busy during the majority of the day. I can play early Saturday afternoon before I go out for the afternoon/evening but I don't think my friend would be appreciative if I told her I had to come home to play a COGST game instead of spending time with her! What do you want to do - Martin has set a deadline of 11:59pm on Saturday and I'm concerned. Apterous would take 15 minutes to play and I could play tonight possibly. MSN is harder to organise, takes much longer to do and I haven't got much time but I guess you can't access apterous?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I don't think my friend would be appreciative if I told her I had to come home to play a COGST game instead of spending time with her!
So that's why I don't have a girlfriend.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Oooh! I'm on wiki! 8-)
Thanks, Michael. :D
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I also noticed that David and Kirk haven't set a date for their game, is everything alright, chaps?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote:I also noticed that David and Kirk haven't set a date for their game, is everything alright, chaps?
Read above, Martin. I've only just noticed your deadline - and I'm starting to panic. David can only access the internet in the library so hasn't got as much access as me and also can't do it via apterous, so I'm not sure what's going on - we just have to wait for David to reply.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

He may end up forfeiting, which is an enormous shame but then we can't wait forever either. Jason can't play until Tuesday so I'll give you until the end of Tuesday as well.