COGST - starting mid-September

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

COGST - starting mid-September

Post by Martin Gardner »

Sorry to announce this the day after COLEI finished but it takes a few weeks to get a list of players signed up, so the sooner I post the message, the sooner people can put their name down. COGST stands for Countdown Online Group Stage Tournament.

I plan to write a full set of rules later but I'm a little busy. The basic principal is to have 24 players in 8 groups of 3, with each player playing the two other players. The group winners (8 people) go in the quarter-finals and the other 16 go into the plate competition. Obviously it's difficult to get 24 people so there'll probably be an adjusted format to deal with it, but there were 22 players in the previous tournament. Anyone at all can play, games takes place on MSN Messenger.

Subscription should be open until about the 10th of September, unless we have 24 players before that. Willing hosts wanted as well

Players:
1. Martin Gardner
2. Charlie Reams
3. Kirk Bevins
4. Jon O'Neill
5. Dino Sfyris
6. Jason Cullen
7. Michael Wallace
8. Julie T.
9. Jerry H.
10. Steven Briers
11. Ben Pugh
12. Debbie F.
13. Matt Coates
14. David O' Donnell
15. Paul Howe
16. Ben Wilson
17. Julian Fell
18. Richard Priest
19. Karen Pearson
20. Howard Somerset[
21. Joseph Bolas/b]

Martin
Last edited by Martin Gardner on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 11 times in total.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: COGST - starting mid-September

Post by Charlie Reams »

Me me me!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:Me me me!
Stick me down as well please.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Players:
Martin Gardner
Charlie Reams
Kirk Bevins
Jon O'Neill
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

And me
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Although I've forgotten one very important thing - CountGen isn't working for the moment (not for me, anyway) so hopefully there will be a working version by the time we start.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:Although I've forgotten one very important thing - CountGen isn't working for the moment (not for me, anyway) so hopefully there will be a working version by the time we start.

Martin
Things like this are much more likely to get fixed if you tell me about them, you know?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Would love to enter but I'm away on holiday from 8th to 15th Sept, so if this will make things difficult then leave me out.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Count me in!!!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Deal.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I'll like to play too but I may also be away for some of it. I am away from 4th-13th October. So, if this will mess things up, then feel free to leave me out.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Karen Pearson wrote:I'll like to play too but I may also be away for some of it. I am away from 4th-13th October. So, if this will mess things up, then feel free to leave me out.
I've put you on the list, that is nearly 2 months after the thing's due to start, anyway. In the next few days I'll send a few emails round to see if people like Chris Wills might be interested.

Martin
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:I've put you on the list, that is nearly 2 months after the thing's due to start, anyway.
You must be running a little behind schedule then.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Hi, Martin,
I'd love to play in COGST, please!
I'll have to register on MSN messenger first, though. :lol:
We were going to go on holiday in September, but cancelled. It was to be with the same company we went with in June, and that holiday was awful. :x
Julie
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I've put you on the list, that is nearly 2 months after the thing's due to start, anyway.
You must be running a little behind schedule then.
October is the 10th month of the year! Well damn it!

Martin
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Yes, I'm interested.

Jerry
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

I'll have a crack at it.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

I'd also like to play.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

I'll give it a go
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I can still play via msn so count me in too.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I'll have a stab at this, I've got to win one sometime.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

We've currently got 17 so 18 would be a nice number for groups of three. I don't mind if people are away for a week so I'll include those two people. I'll leave everything open until the 10th as promised as I'm still waiting for a reply from Tournoff and Wills, we could potentially get to 18. The current plan would be to have 5 groups of 3 and one random "group" of 2. The 2 will play a two-legged match so everybody will get two matches no matter what. The six group winners plus the two best runners-up make the last eight, and everyone else goes into the plate.

Martin
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Only just seen this thread, Martin.

I'd like to take part if possible. I'll be away 27 Sep - 4 Oct, and then again 10 - 17 October. If that fits and there are still places, count me in.

Of course, with it starting in mid-September, I'll probably be knocked out long before my first week away.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hi Martin

Count me in :)

BJ"procrastination"W
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Is there going to be any sort of seeding system? Or can we leave it to chance and give us mere mortals a chance of qualifying from the group stages ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Michael Wallace wrote:Is there going to be any sort of seeding system? Or can we leave it to chance and give us mere mortals a chance of qualifying from the group stages ;)
Actually I had thought of seeding the thing to make sure there's no big clashes in the first round e.g. Paul Howe versus Jon O'Neill. But I'm open to suggestions as well, do people prefer seedings or random draws?

Martin
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martin Gardner wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Is there going to be any sort of seeding system? Or can we leave it to chance and give us mere mortals a chance of qualifying from the group stages ;)
Actually I had thought of seeding the thing to make sure there's no big clashes in the first round e.g. Paul Howe versus Jon O'Neill. But I'm open to suggestions as well, do people prefer seedings or random draws?

Martin
I think seedings are generally 'better' from a purist point of view. It's possibly also a good idea if you're having a knockout tournament for the first round 'losers', since if you've got 3 or 4 big hitters who've been knocked out because of silly first round draws it doesn't give the rest of us much of a chance.

I suppose it depends on what your objectives are - if you want people to have fun then it doesn't really make much difference I don't think, since we all get to have happy competitive(ish) Countdown funtime (tm), but seeding probably makes more sense.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm all in favour of seeding, it takes the shine off the competition when top players get knocked out in the first round.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:

Martin
I think seedings are generally 'better' from a purist point of view. It's possibly also a good idea if you're having a knockout tournament for the first round 'losers', since if you've got 3 or 4 big hitters who've been knocked out because of silly first round draws it doesn't give the rest of us much of a chance.

I suppose it depends on what your objectives are - if you want people to have fun then it doesn't really make much difference I don't think, since we all get to have happy competitive(ish) Countdown funtime (tm), but seeding probably makes more sense.
Well nothing's set in stone in Countdown, anyone can win on a good day, it just takes one mistake from your opponent and you can overtake them. So yes, I'll stick to the seedings plan.

Martin
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

All this reminds me, do we have the Corral rankings somewhere else (like on Soo's computer) so I can correctly seed the top 6 players.

Martin
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:All this reminds me, do we have the Corral rankings somewhere else (like on Soo's computer) so I can correctly seed the top 6 players.
http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/ratings

In return, can you quit writing "Martin" at the end of all your posts? Your name is just there on the right should I forget it.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:All this reminds me, do we have the Corral rankings somewhere else (like on Soo's computer) so I can correctly seed the top 6 players.
http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/ratings

In return, can you quit writing "Martin" at the end of all your posts? Your name is just there on the right should I forget it.
In defence of Martin it's probably a habit developed from the mailing system.

David
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote:In defence of Martin it's probably a habit developed from the mailing system.
I wasn't accusing him of anything malicious, I just figured he probably hadn't noticed it's annoying.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

It's not that annoying.

- Jono.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I think it`s friendly.

Ralph
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I hadn't really noticed.

Michael
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

lol. Anyway I'll have a go Martin (if you're willing to have me in the tournament). Is it going to be 9-round or 15-round games? Also, you said about MSN Messenger and hosts - so are we not using Charlie's apterous site? (haven't had chance to play a game on it yet, so don't really know much about it...)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

It might be ready in time, depending on how this week goes. But I presume that people would at least be allowed to play their games on there if they so desired.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'll be publishing the groups tomorrow morning (although I might be working, yes I do have a job) just to let you know there are 20 people including people who are away during that time. I don't really mind that as long as people "catch up" i.e. they might have to play one game on a Monday then again on the Wednesday. 20 people means 6 groups of 3 plus a pair that will play two games - I can't think of another way of doing it. Unless someone joins in the next 24 hours. I've written some rules for the competition which are bordering on the bleeding obvious, but they do for example answer Julian's question (yes it's 15 rounds all the way).

Martin
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Good work, Martin. But I was amused to see you've categorised yourself under "Problems".
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:Good work, Martin. But I was amused to see you've categorised yourself under "Problems".
LOL actually I just wanted to sign my name at the bottom of the page!!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Good stuff Martin, that's pretty comprehensive. This probably comes under "the bleeding obvious" as well, but there'll be a lot of games to be played so make sure you keep a fairly tight rein on the scheduling of the tournament won't you - give people deadlines (within reason) and so on, don't let it drift on as some have in the past. Nice one!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I hope this tournament is as well-documented as the last COOT. I'll be doing my best to recap games as I watch them, but obviously I can't be around for everything.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Well done, Martin. Good set of rules. Good chance of them covering all eventualities. Look forward to it starting.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Julian Fell wrote:lol. Anyway I'll have a go Martin (if you're willing to have me in the tournament). Is it going to be 9-round or 15-round games? Also, you said about MSN Messenger and hosts - so are we not using Charlie's apterous site? (haven't had chance to play a game on it yet, so don't really know much about it...)

It would be far better on apterous, Julian, but unfortunately, due to firewall restrictions, I wouldn't be able to play and I really REALLY wanna having missed the last tourney.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Julian Fell wrote:lol. Anyway I'll have a go Martin (if you're willing to have me in the tournament). Is it going to be 9-round or 15-round games? Also, you said about MSN Messenger and hosts - so are we not using Charlie's apterous site? (haven't had chance to play a game on it yet, so don't really know much about it...)
Do you mean you can actually "log on" to the site and play directly without MSN Messenger?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yeah Martin I think that's the idea, though it doesn't sound like it's completely ready yet. Charlie does the apterous site write automatic game recaps as well? Would be useful...

But yes it'll be good to have David O'D back - missed you in last tournament. Speaking of which: no Corby in this tournament...? :( (David'll be happy!)

Somebody said earlier about seedings preventing all the strong players being knocked out early, but it didn't really happen that way in Jono's tournament... though I think that was partly because Charlie's ratings hadn't been updated for a while, so you got e.g. Corby being drawn against Ben Pugh and then Paul Howe in his first two games!

Edit to say - 3 women taking part in a Countdown online competition? Must be a record surely?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julian Fell wrote: Edit to say - 3 women taking part in a Countdown online competition? Must be a record surely?
Word has spread about the growing number of fit young men taking part.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I've put the games up on the Countdownwiki, here they are. Please use the email address on the MSN addresses thread to get in contact with your opponents, and try and play one game a week, minimum. I'll come back with more information about the quarter-finals when we get closer to them.

Martin
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I thought I should comment on my brilliant chance of winning having drawn the highest ranked player in a best-of-two match.

Martin
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:I'll be publishing the groups tomorrow morning (although I might be working, yes I do have a job) just to let you know there are 20 people including people who are away during that time. I don't really mind that as long as people "catch up" i.e. they might have to play one game on a Monday then again on the Wednesday. 20 people means 6 groups of 3 plus a pair that will play two games - I can't think of another way of doing it. Unless someone joins in the next 24 hours. I've written some rules for the competition which are bordering on the bleeding obvious, but they do for example answer Julian's question (yes it's 15 rounds all the way).

Martin
Sorry to be awkward, but are you still looking for a 21st player to even things up for you?

EDIT: If you are, you can put my name down, but I can't host any games as Countgen 2 isn't working for me.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Just to say I'm cool with Joseph being added to our group if you want to Martin. Also let me know when you want to play, Thursday or next Tuesday are probably the best times, but I can probably squeeze it in elsewhere if those don't suit.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:Just to say I'm cool with Joseph being added to our group if you want to Martin. Also let me know when you want to play, Thursday or next Tuesday are probably the best times, but I can probably squeeze it in elsewhere if those don't suit.
I am free on both Thursday and next Tuesday, if Martin does add me to your group.

Starting the 15th September, the only times I would be unavailable to play (for now) are Monday's & Wednesday's 17:30 - 21:30.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Seems fair enough to add Joseph since you did say Martin that you'd leave it open for people to join till the 10th...

Also, might be a good idea to give people at least a rough deadline for when the group games have to be played by - JUST AN IDEA, don't jump down my throat.

I've drawn two numbers specialists :(
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Julian Fell wrote:I've drawn two numbers specialists :(
I'm sure they're both equally elated, Julian. :lol:

I've got Jono and Debbi, who's on our screens at the moment. Two easy games ... for them, I mean. :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yes it's VERY convient to me to just add Joseph to the final group as that makes 21 (7 * 3), especially since nobody's objected. I'll add this to the Countdown Wiki right now.

Martin
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Julian Fell wrote:Seems fair enough to add Joseph since you did say Martin that you'd leave it open for people to join till the 10th...
Also, might be a good idea to give people at least a rough deadline for when the group games have to be played by - JUST AN IDEA, don't jump down my throat.
Yes I agree, well I think two weeks for all the game would be fair, with reasonable extensions, not unreasonable ones! So that would be the 24/09.

Martin
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Me n David are hoping to get our game under way on msn as soon as he gets online (half hr or so). Any offers to host would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Cannot seem to get on msn now; the Countdown gods are conspiring against me. Though judging by your form today, Dinos, you probably would have thrashed me!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Actually, just had a thought - maybe we can use another chat facility? Would a host be willing to drag his/her carcass over to another chat room?