Ratings update

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Ratings update

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've updated the ratings in the light of COOT 2008. The most visible change is that I've raised the requirements to appear on the ratings. Players now need 6 games (i.e. one real-life tournament or a couple of weeks of online play), and at least one of those must have been in the last 2 years (clearing out a lot of inactive players whose ratings are probably no longer accurate.)

In terms of player ratings, Julian Fell has risen predictably from a totally ridiculous 17th to a still-underrated 6th, making him 3rd seed for this weekend's CONOT tournament. Kirk Bevins' excellent performance in COOT has also escalated him from 14th to 7th, so he'll be #4 seed this weekend. Various other minor shifts have occurred, but nothing that will affect this weekend's seedings much.

Here's the link: http://sooreams.com/cd/ratings.asp
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: Ratings update

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

No#33 CJ de Mooi? As in the Egghead?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:No#33 CJ de Mooi? As in the Egghead?
Yep, that's the one.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ha! And I'm ahead of him! Has he actually appeared on the show or done any online games/co events? If so how did he do?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

He was at COBRIS last year. He bought everyone drinks.

What a guy!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Charlie Reams wrote: Players now need 6 games (i.e. one real-life tournament or a couple of weeks of online play), and at least one of those must have been in the last 2 years
8 games Charlie, according to your ratings. I think 6 might be fairer, since as you say, that = one COLin, but up to you

Edit to say: speaking of ludicrous rankings, David O'Donnell at 30th?? He should stop playing Corby so much!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote:8 games Charlie, according to your ratings.
Err, yeah. I meant to set it back to 6 before I uploaded them. Oh well, there'll be another update in a week and I doubt anyone will care between now and then. Thanks for spotting it.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

My top rating used to be 4 figures and now it's only 900. What's happened?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Charlie, something which was discussed a lot last night on MSN was people's head-to-head records in unofficial tournaments, e.g. Kirk saying that he had a good record vs. Chris Wills but a poor one vs. Paul Howe - I was wondering if there's any way you can create a 'head-to-head' link from your ratings page, whereby you can type in any two players' names from the list and see the results of all rated games between them... is that in any way feasible? Does your ratings database store actual scores of games, or just who won and lost?

Would be very interesting if it's possible - now that there's a fairly regular cycle of tournaments with the same top players meeting time and time again - but I know you've got a few projects on the go at moment so it's just a suggestion. If it's not possible to do automatically I might even think about doing it manually for a few of the very best players... when I have time

Oh yes and we want to hijack your swimming pool for a game of underwater Countdown - that's ok isn't it :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:My top rating used to be 4 figures and now it's only 900. What's happened?
I tweak the way it's calculated occasionally, and that gets backdated to your peak rating.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

I guess I will get in the top 50 once I have gained more online/in person experience :) .
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Rather than having not fully rated players at the bottom as a text list, why not follow the ABSP example and have "fully rated players" and "semi-rated players" - i.e. that all the players with not enough games or not recently enough appear under the fully rated players even if they have a higher rating (Sandie Simonis is about 700 for example, but would then appear below George Stanhope who's the lowest fully rated player.

It seems a bit more efficient than just listing them at the bottom in a big paragraph.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:It seems a bit more efficient than just listing them at the bottom in a big paragraph.
What definition of "efficient" is that?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:It seems a bit more efficient than just listing them at the bottom in a big paragraph.
What definition of "efficient" is that?
It's certainly more aesthetically pleasing if nothing else.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

And my big (!) claim to fame is that I beat him in the last COOT.

Clearly I am struggling for claims to fame!!!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julian Fell wrote:Edit to say: speaking of ludicrous rankings, David O'Donnell at 30th?? He should stop playing Corby so much!
I too think David should be higher up the table. I know I have played more games than David, but he definitely should be higher up than me :lol:
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Karen Pearson wrote:
And my big (!) claim to fame is that I beat him in the last COOT.

Clearly I am struggling for claims to fame!!!
Not struggling as much as I am, Karen.

My big claim to fame is that I've played a COOT game which was hosted by a person who beat CJ in an earlier COOT. :lol:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

How are ratings calculated, or is it too complicated? Approximately?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:How are ratings calculated, or is it too complicated? Approximately?
http://www.sooreams.com/programs/CoolRank.asp
Charlie Reams wrote:Hopefully this will demystify the ratings system I use
Hopefully...
Last edited by Jon O'Neill on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:How are ratings calculated, or is it too complicated? Approximately?
You gain X% of your opponent's rating if you beat them, and lose X% of your own if you lose. X depends on the format of the game (9 or 15 rounds.) Some fudgery is added to deal with players with fewer than 6 games (whose ratings are only provisional.) Then the ratings of all the non-provisional players are Bayesian moderated so that people with a small number of games are pulled towards the middle (since their results are less statistically significant.) Plus probably some other stuff that I can't remember (the program is rather intricate after several years of tweaking.)