COOT '08 Round One!

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

COOT '08 Round One!

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The draw for the first round was made tonight! Here is all you need to know.

22 players means 6 preliminary games. The top 8 entrants from http://www.sooreams.com/cd/ratings.asp were given byes. These were:

Jon O'Neill
Paul Howe
Damian Eadie
Ben Wilson
Kirk Bevins
Dan Vanniasingham
Charlie Reams
Julian Fell

Of the other 14 entrants, 12 were randomly drawn in pairs to play in the preliminary rounds, and these are the pairings:

MATT GREEN vs. MATT COATES
HOWARD SOMERSET vs. RICH PRIEST
JON CORBY vs. BEN PUGH
DINOS SFYRIS vs. HEATHER CULPIN
MICHAEL WALLACE vs. RICHARD BRITTAIN
MARTIN GARDNER vs. JAMES HURREL

The fortunate 2 who also achieved byes are Jason Cullen and Karen Pearson. Well done guys.

All games are to be played over 15 rounds, and the deadline for these games is Sunday 29th June so please please get in touch with your opponent (through these forums is a good start) as soon as possible or, in the nicest possible way, I will kick you both out. Let me know if your opponent is unresponsive and I'll see what I can do.

If you need a host then I would suggest adding some other people from the tournament using MSN Messenger addresses which can be found in their forum profiles. Hopefully.

Post results in this thread! Good luck all!
Last edited by Jon O'Neill on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: COOT '08 Round One!

Post by Charlie Reams »

Apologies for not updating the ratings, I've been facing some technical problems. Preliminary results suggest that nothing much would have changed.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Ginger Jono wrote: JON CORBY vs. BEN PUGH
Ouch - judging by their performances in COMA, these two could well have contested the COOT final, yet one of them's going to be out even before round one... that's a rum draw. Hard luck guys. (btw Ben P when are you applying to go on the show? judging by your COMA games you could easily win a series)

I've added most of the people in the tournament on WLM - the people whose WLM addresses I haven't got are Damian, Heather Culpin, Karen Pearson, Rich Priest, Matthew Green and James Hurrell. If you could let me know your addresses I'd be grateful. (mine is on the 'msn' thread if you don't have it)

Edit to say: Jono you didn't specify it above, but do all the prelim games have to be 15 rounds? Not that it affects me, but it'd make sense to be consistent throughout the tournament that's all.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Julian wrote:I've added most of the people in the tournament on WLM
I've done similarly. Not that there's a lot of point to it this time, as my chances of getting past the preliminary round are extremely remote, and that's an optimistic view. :cry:
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Julian wrote:
Ginger Jono wrote: JON CORBY vs. BEN PUGH
Ouch - judging by their performances in COMA, these two could well have contested the COOT final, yet one of them's going to be out even before round one... that's a rum draw. Hard luck guys. (btw Ben P when are you applying to go on the show? judging by your COMA games you could easily win a series)

I've added most of the people in the tournament on WLM - the people whose WLM addresses I haven't got are Damian, Heather Culpin, Karen Pearson, Rich Priest, Matthew Green and James Hurrell. If you could let me know your addresses I'd be grateful. (mine is on the 'msn' thread if you don't have it)

Edit to say: Jono you didn't specify it above, but do all the prelim games have to be 15 rounds? Not that it affects me, but it'd make sense to be consistent throughout the tournament that's all.

Hi Julian, my address is rpriest@hotmail.co.uk.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Please PLEASE please recap as many as possible of these games.

PS Talk about an unlucky draw, Howard :)
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

David are you computered again? If so Jono might let you have a late wildcard entry into COOT if you want it?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote:Please PLEASE please recap as many as possible of these games.
If you use the Recap Writer then they'll also appear on the wiki shortly.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Who decides who are the hosts of these matches? I am willing to be a host in anyone's match since I got a very fortunate bye in the first round! Get in touch with me if you want me to be your host ;) (presuming that is allowed Jono!)
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

how does this all work? me and richard priest (who is also wondering) have never played online before.

thanks, Matt.

would be great if you could host my game Jason :D
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

If Martin doesn't object I don't mind you doing our game either.

We have to arrange a time first - when's best with you Martin??
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Matt Coates wrote:how does this all work? me and richard priest (who is also wondering) have never played online before.

thanks, Matt.

would be great if you could host my game Jason :D
No problem Matt Coates. As long as its fine by you and Matt Green then I will certainly be your host. Just post me a time and date you want to play at ;) .
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

James Hurrell wrote:If Martin doesn't object I don't mind you doing our game either.

We have to arrange a time first - when's best with you Martin??
Sure thing James :) . I can be your host too providing Martin doesn't object. However, it must not clash with Matt vs Matt clash
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Julian wrote:Edit to say: Jono you didn't specify it above, but do all the prelim games have to be 15 rounds? Not that it affects me, but it'd make sense to be consistent throughout the tournament that's all.
Yep, all games are over 15 rounds.

To those above confused about how it all works: don't panic, you can learn in under five minutes.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

Jason, we have arranged to play at 6pm tomorrow, is that ok for you?

is there a section on how it all works?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

It's easiest to learn on MSN Messenger. I'm usually about. If not, Ben Wilson will help you out.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:Please PLEASE please recap as many as possible of these games.
If you use the Recap Writer then they'll also appear on the wiki shortly.
For some reason your second link isn't working, Charlie - not for me, at any rate. The url looks correct. :? However, adding "www." helps. :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote: For some reason your second link isn't working, Charlie - not for me, at any rate. The url looks correct. :? However, adding "www." helps. :)
Cheers, fixed.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ginger Jono wrote:It's easiest to learn on MSN Messenger. I'm usually about. If not, Ben Wilson will help you out.
...Thanks. :?

Seriously though, I don't mind at all- manandmadman@hotmail.com is the address to add if in any doubt. I also do phone consultation for a fixed fee. ;)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

I've been informed that Howard vs Richard will take place tomorrow lunchtime with myself being the host :D . Should be a good game :P
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

jasoncullen wrote: Should be a good game :P
... if you like watching an annihilation :lol:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I notice that Richard and myself so far have a total difference of +1 (to me, bwaha...well, depending on whether that whole 12 point conundrum thing stood...) in online games. Admittedly we've only played twice, but still...

Apparently we'll play when we notice both of us are online as well as someone to host (I'm online when I'm awake, whereas his computer access is slightly more limited). So, err, watch this space?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

James,

My Countdown only email address is mgcountdown@hotmail.fr (was logged onto the French MSN when I decided to create the account, by chance!) although I don't usually read my emails for that account. Otherwise if you reply on this board I'll read it, I'm free most evenings but I share the computer so I'm not online all the time.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Howard Somerset wrote:
jasoncullen wrote: Should be a good game :P
... if you like watching an annihilation :lol:
Think positive, Howard!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Richard and I are going to start in about 10 minutes (short notice, I know) in case any of you guys want to watch some molestation occur.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Spoilers!
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

When was Ben Pugh last online?

I think we'd best say I won by default :)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Just a reminder guys that Howard Somerset vs Richard Priest match is being played at 12pm tomorrow on msn. So if you want to watch or contribute, add my email address in the msn thread as I am the host for this match :D . Hope to see some of you there ;)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Michael v Richard is now reported on the Wiki, here
Last edited by Howard Somerset on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

jasoncullen wrote:Just a reminder guys that Howard Somerset vs Richard Priest match is being played at 12pm tomorrow on msn. So if you want to watch or contribute, add my email address in the msn thread as I am the host for this match :D . Hope to see some of you there ;)
I certainly hope to be there, Jason. :lol:
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Yeah, good game Michael. Here's the recap.

Note that some people may prefer not to know the outcome before reading the recap.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Richard Brittain wrote:Note that some people may prefer not to know the outcome before reading the recap.
This occurred to me, yes, but I had a good reason for not thinking it mattered (which escapes me now...). I'll edit my post, but have been quoted by Howard, so it might not help.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Michael Wallace wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote:Note that some people may prefer not to know the outcome before reading the recap.
This occurred to me, yes, but I had a good reason for not thinking it mattered (which escapes me now...). I'll edit my post, but have been quoted by Howard, so it might not help.
Fixed my post too. :)
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Hi Martin

How's Friday evening? You name the time. If no good let me know.

James
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Suits me fine, just about any time that evening would be fine. Just log on and we'll play.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Corby wrote:When was Ben Pugh last online?

I think we'd best say I won by default :)
I haven't been online for a while because I've been in Germany, and still am. I fly back tomorrow. I obviously can't play tonight and I would rather not play tomorrow evening as I'll be very tired, but as far as I'm aware, I can play at any time after tomorrow.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Pugh wrote:I haven't been online for a while because I've been in Germany, and still am. I fly back tomorrow. I obviously can't play tonight and I would rather not play tomorrow evening as I'll be very tired, but as far as I'm aware, I can play at any time after tomorrow.
Tomorrow sounds perfect then :twisted:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:
It doesn't matter. I'd actuall prefer all the results to be posted in here, along with the name of whoever hosted. So by way of catching up, these are the games I know to be complete:

Richard Brittain 105-84 Michael Wallace (Host: Ben Wilson, Jason Cullen, Paul Howe)
Rich Priest 92-57 Howard Somerset (Host: Jason Cullen)
Matt Coates 86-77 Matt Green (Host: Jason Cullen)

Outstanding games:

JON CORBY vs. BEN PUGH - some time later this week
DINOS SFYRIS vs. HEATHER CULPIN - Heather hasn't been on the forum since a month ago so this will probably be a forfeit. I would prefer her to arrive though so if you're reading, Heather, do get in touch!
MARTIN GARDNER vs. JAMES HURREL - friday evening

Thanks guys, this is all going very well.. better than I expected. Special thank you to the hosts.

Oh also, recaps are not necessary, but they are of course enjoyable for everyone to read.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Would be a shame if Heather missed out again - I believe she said she was in COOT 3 but didn't get to play then either because of the tournament's organizational difficulties... she might be a bit annoyed if she's forfeited this time. Come on Heather! 8-)
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Hi Martin

Is 17:30/18:00 on Friday ok or too early for you? If too early, how about 20:00? Jason Cullen has offered to host and I cannot think of any reason to turn this down so if we can find a mutually acceptable time for all of us then we should be good to go.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Given the situation with the O's, why dont me, Micheal and Howard have a round-robin and the winner takes Heathers place and plays Dino?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matthew Green wrote:Given the situation with the O's, why dont me, Micheal and Howard have a round-robin and the winner takes Heathers place and plays Dino?
I'm not entirely convinced by this - if the O thing was an actual problem it would only really make sense for us to replay our preliminary round opponents, rather than mess around with the current setup.

But then again it's Jono's tourney so maybe he'll decide that the whole O thing means that I should just win the whole thing outright. Maybe.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

O, I thought Matt was joking.

O's or no O's, no results are changing.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've taken time out of my final-week-as-an-undergraduate schedule to fix CountGen, so the working version should now be online and the tournament can continue. Please let me know if there are any further problems.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ginger Jono wrote:O, I thought Matt was joking.
O, that hadn't occurred to me...
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I wouldnt think it fair to make the winners have to play again but when you think about it, if they played the first round of the snooker world championship with no yellow on the table, would they just carry on?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Given that the playing field was level, I would like to think they'd carry on anyway. If any snooker player is a yellow-specialist, I would like to think they'd reconsider. Our playing field was level. If any of the losers can make a convincing claim at being an O-specialist, I might reconsider.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

How does tomorrow night sound Mr Pugh? I could do tonight at a stretch, but it's a busy one for me, given that I'm playing football, then watching football, then watching Countdown and doing the recap.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Corby wrote:How does tomorrow night sound Mr Pugh? I could do tonight at a stretch, but it's a busy one for me, given that I'm playing football, then watching football, then watching Countdown and doing the recap.
Tomorrow evening should be fine.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Pugh wrote:Tomorrow evening should be fine.
Cool, any time after 8pm is good for me. Any volunteers for a host please?

I'll host a game in return if necessary :)
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Ginger Jono wrote:Given that the playing field was level, I would like to think they'd carry on anyway. If any snooker player is a yellow-specialist, I would like to think they'd reconsider. Our playing field was level. If any of the losers can make a convincing claim at being an O-specialist, I might reconsider.
But then they might argue that they weren't playing Snooker atall as you need a yellow ball on the table. Hence playing countdown with a 25-letter alphabet is essentially a completely different game. Yes the playing field might be level and I concede that, when it comes to 25-letter-countdown Matt Coates is marginally better than me, but at 26-letter countdown we are yet to find out. :?:

In fact, when it comes to 25-letter countdown, statistics suggest that I am in the top 5 of all time!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

To be fair though Matthew G, Damian has said recently that on TV they sometimes remove the J or Q or X from the letters pile for a few shows if they've had a run of bad letters rounds; and the J went missing (presumably unintentionally) for most of series 47, so there are probably quite a few players (like Chris Wills and Tom Hargreaves) better than you at 25-letter Countdown!

Glad that the O situation's been resolved though, because that is a pretty important letter... well done Charlie. When you get chance you could also ask Mike Brown to update his links page so that it points here instead of to the old Yahoo message board.

In terms of other problems with Countgen 2, for me the Consonant and Vowel selectors seem a bit trigger-happy, a lot of times I just click once on them and two letters appear. Don't know if that's just me. I also wondered if you could have the option of returning a set of letters you've selected to the piles - could be useful if you have to discard a round, e.g. for not giving the players what they'd asked for. At the outset there are already barely enough vowels in there to complete 11 letters rounds, so it could be an issue. Fairly minor in the grand scheme of things though!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Charlie Reams wrote:I've taken time out of my final-week-as-an-undergraduate schedule
Charlie when is the big day btw? Don't let your parents take embarrassing pictures of you etc. ...
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Corby wrote:
Ben Pugh wrote:Tomorrow evening should be fine.
Cool, any time after 8pm is good for me. Any volunteers for a host please?

I'll host a game in return if necessary :)
I'll be your host Corby provisionally. I have a tennis match this afternoon plus I think I'm hosting James vs Martin tonight :D . But I will try to fit you in :lol: . Add my msn email address which is jason-cullen@hotmail.co.uk
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

By the way, when is the draw for round 2 in this tourny?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

As soon as round 1 is complete I imagine. Still no word from Heather bye the way.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yeah I'll definitely be online at that time (6pm). I'd prefer to be finished by 7.30 because it's my turn to cook, but I can be flexible.

Martin
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Shall we make it 7:30 to get you out of cooking?? :D OK - 6pm it is. I have notified Jason.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The second round draw is on Sunday at 10 or 11 in the evening. If you're online I will invite you to it.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Ginger Jono wrote:The second round draw is on Sunday at 10 or 11 in the evening. If you're online I will invite you to it.
Cheers Jono ;) .